Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Frenzied Flame’s ending End of Evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Is Frenzied Flame’s ending End of Evangelion

If a pscyho had control over human instrumentality.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

If a pscyho had control over human instrumentality.

I have bad news about Yui

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I have bad news about Yui

Well I have good news over who had their hands on the wheel when the big decisions were made! Wait...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I enjoyed Frenzied Flame over Ranni simply because rejecting Melina felt like a meaningful choice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Frenzied Flame isn't a "good" ending in terms of "this is what we should wish for diegetically" but it's a sympathetic one in that it's basically a suicidal shriek of despair from people in a living Hell who have been denied even the dignity of death.

there's also a neat cross-game symmetry between the "burn it all down / seize control" endings in Elden Ring and Dark Souls 3, where the tone and implications of each are switched

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mentat Radnor posted:

Mostly unrelated, Ranni's ending is the only one that hard requires killing Radahn right? Wasn't he the main defense against more Astel aliens raining down on the Lands, or am I getting that wrong? I feel like there's so much room for DLC/ER2 story to go weird places, which is cool imo.
I think the answer is more straightforward; the Selians are known assassins, Ranni was seemingly assassinated, so Radahn murdered them all and stopped the movement of the stars. But, irony of ironies, this had the side effect of preventing Ranni from completing her quest to kill her two fingers.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 19, 2023

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think the answer is more straightforward; the Selians are known assassins, Ranni was seemingly assassinated, so Radahn murdered them all and stopped the movement of the stars. But, irony of ironies, this had the side effect of preventing Ranni from completing her quest to kill her two fingers.

Ranni explicitly states that she "slew mine own Empyrean flesh, casting it away" so I don't think she got assassinated. Rather, being in that body was somehow subjugating her to the Two Fingers' will and she found a way to escape their hold. Unfortunately that method involved stealing the Rune of Death, and splitting it or something so Godwyn the Golden's soul became an unintended casualty and now there's fuggin' deathroot everywhere whoops.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
seemingly assassinated. To an outside oberserver she'd probably have been taken for another casualty of the Black Knives

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mentat Radnor posted:

Ranni explicitly states that she "slew mine own Empyrean flesh, casting it away" so I don't think she got assassinated. Rather, being in that body was somehow subjugating her to the Two Fingers' will and she found a way to escape their hold. Unfortunately that method involved stealing the Rune of Death, and splitting it or something so Godwyn the Golden's soul became an unintended casualty and now there's fuggin' deathroot everywhere whoops.

Godwyn's soul was an intended casualty.

Also Ranni's plan is indeed to make the essence of the Outer Gods like the Greater Will removed from the Lands Between. Unsurprisingly much like the Bloodborne Moon God being in opposition to the influences of the other Great Ones.

She's taking the certainty of the Elden Ring away. As far as the endings where you restore it, you place Marika's head back on her statue corpse presumably reviving her and the Elden Ring without the Elden Beast. Marika pretty clearly has some sort of plan to free herself from her current binding to the Greater Will. The Perfect Order also doesn't force the Greater Will to do anything I don't think. It shackles the Gods, Marika and her family, so they can't abuse the system or cheat.

That's why Goldmask needs the revelation that Radagon is Marika to complete the rune. She was circumventing the Elden Ring and Golden Order. Once Goldmask knows that this is possible he designs a rune to make it impossible.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I love Goldmask. STEM kid Jesus rules-lawyers the gods with math, it's beautiful.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Can't see a Lords of the Fallen thread, but I've been playing it and the start is a bit rocky, but once it opens up it's got some of the best world design I've seen, on par with DS1 in how massive and interconnected everything is, and the verticality of it. Definitely recommend giving it a try.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
what kept me out of DS1 was the puzzlework level design, I just couldn't remember where everything was, how to get back there

granted I play most of these games stinking drunk so I might not be the best reviewer of these games but I found that the more areas to explore in a non-linear fashion made it easier to get stuff and levels here and there and return to somewhere to continue the storyline

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My friend said something similar and he really enjoyed DS2 which has a flower-like level design where everything radiates out from Majula and you can port back at the tips. It's interesting how each Souls game has a distinctly different way of world traversal.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
I completely understand why DS1's level design is the way it is and it's an incredible use of the resources they had to create a "seamless" experience given the technology of the time. Whenever I rode a way-too-long elevator or climbed a way-too-long ladder I was like "I get it." and then promptly forgot where that ladder or elevator was so the next time I respawned at a bonfire I was like "haha drat."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
General Fromsoft question: why was dark souls the breakout hit for them and not demons souls

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

General Fromsoft question: why was dark souls the breakout hit for them and not demons souls

Multiplatform

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

They made the blacksmith a smokin' hot, shirtless bear instead of an emaciated twunk.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

BasicLich posted:

what kept me out of DS1 was the puzzlework level design, I just couldn't remember where everything was, how to get back there

What kept me out of souls games until Elden Ring was a fear of overly confounding level design. Now that I'm over 1k hours invested into ER, I think the incredibly well-thought-out level design of the big dungeons (and the 3 catacombs that trick the player) is one of my very favorite aspects of the game.

I should probably play DS1-3 now that I "get it", and also Bloodborne if it ever gets a PC release.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

also Bloodborne if it ever gets a PC release.

It won't, Sony sucks rear end. Lies of P is the best we get (and honestly it's really loving solid).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Steve Yun posted:

Demon's Souls primed everything. It had an initial, very small release if I recall right in Japan and Hong Kong (this is where 'this is harsh. evaluate me' broken English came from) and spread by word of mouth that it was a very very special game. Dark Souls just carried that on, across multiple platforms worldwide.

From never expected the success it got with DeS and DS.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, I never had a PS3 but Demon's Souls really caught my attention, so when they made a spiritual sequel that was on the 360 too I was all over it. I expect that's a fairly common story

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mentat Radnor posted:

I don't think Radahn was filled in on Ranni's scheme, the only other person we can confirm to have been clued in (and not one of Ranni's circle) was Rykard.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

Yeah, I never had a PS3 but Demon's Souls really caught my attention, so when they made a spiritual sequel that was on the 360 too I was all over it. I expect that's a fairly common story

I kept hearing about a game Dark Souls, and it was REALLY hard. Caught my attention because games I get really into I tend to play to the point of breaking them over my knee - particularly challenging ones. Been that way since being a Young Goon in the early 80s (lol old). Saw a used copy in GameStop for like $20 and figured why not.

Weirdly it was also the game which made me purchase my first HD tv, because the loading screen item descriptions were so blurry as to be unreadable on the ancient CRT tv I had at the time. That made me bounce off the game hard the first time - not due to difficulty, but because I literally had no idea what anything did. Went and got an HD tv, tried again, and fell in love. :3

Went back and played Demon's after probably 10 plays of Dark Souls. Probably because I played Dark Souls first, Demon's felt like (and still feels like) a half-finished, extremely experimental game. Like all the basics are there, but nothing is polished or refined. Upgrades are as obtuse as possible in Demon's. WAY too many materials, and some paths start at +3 and some at +7 and some you have to do this one first THEN the one you want. It's awful. The bosses are mostly bad, and the thing everyone says about the levels being the bosses is basically true. There are some genuine "gently caress you, player" level moments. But the atmosphere is unparalleled, the sound design (in the PS3 version - SUPER mad they hosed it up so bad in the remaster) was amazing, and there were just SO many new ideas no one had really done before.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

FROM have been making essentially the same game for years. Darks Souls was the one to hit it big due to the technology finally catching up the ambition, the formula getting refined to the point it appealed to more people, the wide availability, and crucially it hit at a time mainstream gaming was in a deep rut of extremely easy, streamlined and shallow games. There was a lot of chance in Dark Souls being the one that broke out and had a few things been different we'd probably be talking about things being like the Demon Souls of x.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 19, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Oscar Wild posted:

I enjoyed Frenzied Flame over Ranni simply because rejecting Melina felt like a meaningful choice.

I loving love Melina's dialogue on the mountaintops and down in the three fingers basement. She's just so loving firm about, "Look, this isn't anyone's destiny or anyone's plan, it's my decision and I refuse to let anyone decide for me." Yass queen, you go off!

I've never been able to do the Frenzied Flame, or even the take-backsies with Miquella's Needle because I'm just so swept up in Melina's energy.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

BasicLich posted:

granted I play most of these games stinking drunk so I might not be the best reviewer of these games but I found that the more areas to explore in a non-linear fashion made it easier to get stuff and levels here and there and return to somewhere to continue the storyline

The exact opposite of my experience. The joys of finding and understanding the convoluted and interconnected world are what made DS1 my #1 all-time game for years afterwords. I still bring up the DS1 world design when people ask what makes a great game

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

You kick down the ladder on the bridge after the Taurus demon, and it leads to the bonfire in Undead Burg. You smile and nod. Yeah that's pretty cool.

You go into the elevator in the undead church and it leads you right back to Firelink Shrine, and you should be cheering and clapping like a circus seal. That's when you realise this is something special.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shyrka posted:

I loving love Melina's dialogue on the mountaintops and down in the three fingers basement. She's just so loving firm about, "Look, this isn't anyone's destiny or anyone's plan, it's my decision and I refuse to let anyone decide for me." Yass queen, you go off!

I've never been able to do the Frenzied Flame, or even the take-backsies with Miquella's Needle because I'm just so swept up in Melina's energy.

It's amusing that Shabriri makes such a big deal about "oh no, you'll be burning your maiden, what will the rest of the world think of you", and then if you do what he wants you burn your replacement maiden anyway. Totally not a demonic figure who offers you a bargain but arranges things so the benefit you were supposed to get from the bargain becomes worthless to you!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls came out during open world fatigue and I think that helped. Being able to see That from There and know that everything between it was a hand crafted dungeon instead of an open world field was really novel back in 2011, the year Elder Scrolls V Skyrim was the best selling video game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Shyrka posted:

Really? Miquellas needle lets you keep her from burning herself because you do it yourself.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

You go into the elevator in the undead church and it leads you right back to Firelink Shrine, and you should be cheering and clapping like a circus seal. That's when you realise this is something special.
I'm pretty much at this point in Elden Ring in Stonething castle. I thought I was horrifyingly lost, and then suddenly I find a shortcut back to the nearest grace and feel like gently caress yes this rules, now I can get back to the courtyard, grab my 6k runes and all I have to do is get past one fairly easily cheesed grafted.

I can't decide whether to upgrade my uchigatana or lordsworn straight sword past +3. Was going to go with the short spear but it just feels a bit cheesy since you can just hide behind your shield even more. Straight sword seems faster and is great fun with battle cry, but also unsheathe is so much fun.

I like the kaiden armour.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm pretty much at this point in Elden Ring in Stonething castle. I thought I was horrifyingly lost, and then suddenly I find a shortcut back to the nearest grace and feel like gently caress yes this rules, now I can get back to the courtyard, grab my 6k runes and all I have to do is get past one fairly easily cheesed grafted.

I can't decide whether to upgrade my uchigatana or lordsworn straight sword past +3. Was going to go with the short spear but it just feels a bit cheesy since you can just hide behind your shield even more. Straight sword seems faster and is great fun with battle cry, but also unsheathe is so much fun.

Try the heavy thrusting sword that you can get in limgrave. great estoc I think it's called? Really fun weapon. It's from a chest in a camp in the south east above the bridge to weeping.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Have you used the default skill of the straight swords, Square Off? It's practically identical to unsheathe but is a lot beefier. Straight swords are really good, either one will be great but imho the straight swords are better though when you're just learning the ropes the extra reach on a katana with the bleed buildup is really, really helpful

Shield poking actually isn't too great, you're just doing R1 damage and it annihilates your stam bar. The real deal with shields is guard counters. Straight swords have a nice quick one that chunks and does huge posture damage, not sure about katana counters tho I've never used them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am pretty addicted to guard countering, yes. It's somehow even more satisfying than circle backstabbing or parrying (which I never got the hang of the timing on anyway), and I have the talisman that gives me health back on a crit as well.

It's only annoying when I get something like those big silver knight bastards that have more poise than me.

I'll try the great estoc, I think I got it with the help of my Godrick Knight ashes who have been incredibly useful so far.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I tried to play some demons souls when it came out. I finally became whole again after the phalanx, and then immediately after a player killed me in 2 shots (I had no idea what was happening) and then it's back to half HP, and the world tendency is now harder.

It was far too punishing for new players. There's no time to figure poo poo out. Now that I've had time with the gameplay and formula it's much more doable, but brand new it was just very unappealing because it felt like there was no room for mistakes and therefore no room to learn and improve.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i got demons souls pretty much as soon as the NA localization was released because i'd heard importers say good things about it. my most vivid memory is getting lost circling 2-2 for hours before finally finding flamelurker's room

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Silynt posted:

The exact opposite of my experience. The joys of finding and understanding the convoluted and interconnected world are what made DS1 my #1 all-time game for years afterwords. I still bring up the DS1 world design when people ask what makes a great game

Same for me. I really recommend checking out Lords of The Fallen, once you get into it, it'll give you that ds1 feeling again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The old Demons Souls thread basically got me hooked and I am sure a number of us too. People were importing it in huge numbers then it was gonna come out in North America. Does anyone have a link to that thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vintersorg posted:

The old Demons Souls thread basically got me hooked and I am sure a number of us too. People were importing it in huge numbers then it was gonna come out in North America. Does anyone have a link to that thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674&perpage=40&noseen=1#post358592899

I think anyway.