Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't wait for youtube to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Yeahhhh that's the stuff

Crypto bros hemorrhaging money will never not make my day

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw if you use uBlock and want to kill ads on youtube you need to update your filters all the time until youtube stops its attacks

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/178yasm/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_16_2023/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knormal posted:

Are you using Firefox? A lot of sites see their built-in tracking protection as ad-blocking. If you turn off enhanced tracking protection from the little shield up by the URL it'll fix it, if that's the cause. But enjoy your tracking ads.

Oh man it’s going to be great if they start banning Firefox users for having tracking protection turned on. The advocacy folks at Mozilla live for poo poo like that. :getin:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm on Firefox, I use an adblocker, and I've never seen YouTube complain about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Karate Bastard posted:

I can't wait for youtube to die

Elon should buy it and call it Xtube :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm on Firefox, I use an adblocker, and I've never seen YouTube complain about it.

Same and same, but I also have my uBlock Origin set to auto-update so I assumed it was doing it behind the scenes while I wasn't paying attention.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Brave browser still works flawless. They bought ad space on youtube early on though just to tell youtube to go gently caress themselves on their own platform. They also have lawyers similarly itching to tear a hole in their side given slightest provocation, so that may be why youtube isn't loving with them yet.

Wow, youtube seems to only be loving with people who aren't fighting back, how strange

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Same and same, but I also have my uBlock Origin set to auto-update so I assumed it was doing it behind the scenes while I wasn't paying attention.

Also same. I'm using Adblock plus, which seems to have no trouble killing youtube ads without youtube complaining

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

Wow, youtube seems to only be loving with people who aren't fighting back, how strange

I'm mostly seeing complaints from people on Chrome or Chrome derivatives like Opera. So it's really just :google: squeezing its own userbase for eyeballs and I guess just hoping people are too lazy to use an independent browser :confused:

Pictured: YouTube throwing its favorite users a party :yotj:

https://i.imgur.com/UPD7zzl.mp4

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm mostly seeing complaints from people on Chrome or Chrome derivatives like Opera. So it's really just :google: squeezing its own userbase for eyeballs and I guess just hoping people are too lazy to use an independent browser :confused:

Is there an independent browser other than Firefox? Brave, Edge, Opera, Safari - they're all based on Chrome now. Firefox is, AFAIK, the only browser left that uses its own techbase.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically Chrome is based on Safari, not the other way around.

Everything else is either named “Firefox” or is based on Chrome.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
lol, nerd talk has looped around to Schaden somehow.

I did not know that Microsoft's new flagship browser was based on a competitor's which was based on the Macintosh one. The browser wars of yesteryear have been retroactively decided: get wrecked IE. He who laughs last laughs best, and it's delicious.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

lol, nerd talk has looped around to Schaden somehow.

I did not know that Microsoft's new flagship browser was based on a competitor's which was based on the Macintosh one. The browser wars of yesteryear have been retroactively decided: get wrecked IE. He who laughs last laughs best, and it's delicious.

Yet somewhere, in the bowels of a company that makes more per hour than you or I will ever earn in this lifetime a front-end developer gets a new request for a feature that should be IE6 compatible and oh yeah this ActiveX component should not crash so work around it.

Priority: needs to be done yesterday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm mostly seeing complaints from people on Chrome or Chrome derivatives like Opera.

Vivaldi with uBlock Origin continues to work for me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It would be hilarious if youtube's new ad policies are directly responsible for a significant drop in chromium-based browsers

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tiggum posted:

Vivaldi with uBlock Origin continues to work for me.

Hey, I thought I was the only person who used Vivaldi! But yeah, same here, not a single whinge from YouTube so far.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Hey, I thought I was the only person who used Vivaldi! But yeah, same here, not a single whinge from YouTube so far.

There are dozens of us and none of us have this set of issues with YouTube.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Another one for the Vivaldi gang, also no problems with youtube and ublock, although I thought that Vivaldi was Chromium-based as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:australia:

https://i.imgur.com/ULhqWy6.mp4

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Those wheels could do with some grease.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I used to use some flavor of ad blocker for YouTube but I turned it off because I didn’t want to get banned. Now I get ads but only the sound. The picture is blank. No idea why

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chrome and uBlock Origin have held strong for me so far. Even works on the "movies with ads" they put up for free so sometimes I don't have to pirate a movie if it's not on one of my subscriptions.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I listen to about 4 hours of podcasts per day on google podcast. Got a note last week saying that next year they were doing away with GPs and that I would have access to them on youtube music, and if I paid for premium I would have the ability to KEEP PLAYING WHAT I WAS LISTENING TO WHILE MY SCREEN WAS LOCKED. They did the same thin with google music a couple of years back and I couldn't find a good mp3 player for my phone so I use my wife's apple music account on my droid. If they actually go through with this, I might end up switching to iPhone even though I don't want to hear about it from everyone who has yelled at me to get one for the last 15 or so years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flyinglemur posted:

I listen to about 4 hours of podcasts per day on google podcast. Got a note last week saying that next year they were doing away with GPs and that I would have access to them on youtube music, and if I paid for premium I would have the ability to KEEP PLAYING WHAT I WAS LISTENING TO WHILE MY SCREEN WAS LOCKED. They did the same thin with google music a couple of years back and I couldn't find a good mp3 player for my phone so I use my wife's apple music account on my droid. If they actually go through with this, I might end up switching to iPhone even though I don't want to hear about it from everyone who has yelled at me to get one for the last 15 or so years.

If you install Firefox for Android and go into the Add-ons Manager you can install Video Background Play Fix and then use the YouTube Music website through Firefox instead of the app and it'll work with the screen off. It's a bit of a hassle, but there is no loving way I'm paying them to remove an inconvenience that they intentionally added to make their service worse.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flyinglemur posted:

Just, like, use any other podcast player. Antennapod is great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

There are dozens of us and none of us have this set of issues with YouTube.

Seems like the entire Vivaldi user base is posting here. I also haven't had any issues, but I'm ready to fall back on Firefox if necessary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:lol:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Idgi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sam Bankman Fried of extreme crypto crime fame said some incriminating things to a Vox reporter as he was trying to explain himself. He then tried to do the off-the-record thing but the fact that it is marked as a government exhibit means that she did not "take it down".

zoux has a new favorite as of 15:20 on Oct 19, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Takes No Damage posted:

now when I had this drink as part of 21st birthday-style hazing, they fill the glass, you put the straw in, THEN they light just the drink, THEN while you quickly slurp it down they throw cinnamon on it and try to burn your eyebrows off. This is just 2 people attempting to start a structure fire.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Tiggum posted:

If you install Firefox for Android and go into the Add-ons Manager you can install Video Background Play Fix and then use the YouTube Music website through Firefox instead of the app and it'll work with the screen off. It's a bit of a hassle, but there is no loving way I'm paying them to remove an inconvenience that they intentionally added to make their service worse.

Right, that seems like a lot of extra steps. Especially, and gently caress I hate to say this, Apple Music is actually pretty good.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just, like, use any other podcast player. Antennapod is great.

I will look into it, but this is kind of the last straw for my affinity with google products. I understand that Apple will also just take all of my money. In conclussion, capitalism is a land of contrasts

I'm just mad, that's all

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Being mad at capitalism is illegal, citizen

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The thing I like about this one is that the woman who has the presence of mind enough to pull the other's hair back was the one who ultimately got her hair set on fire. Really an all-timer here.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Glottis posted:

now when I had this drink as part of 21st birthday-style hazing, they fill the glass, you put the straw in, THEN they light just the drink, THEN while you quickly slurp it down they throw cinnamon on it and try to burn your eyebrows off. This is just 2 people attempting to start a structure fire.

"When I started an alcohol fire/dust explosion combo directly under my face I did it the safe way" is certainly an interesting take away from that video.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

Amphigory posted:

Citation needed

Lmao like I'm gonna post a video of me doing my tight 5

E: that sounded nsfw

schad tax:
https://i.imgur.com/qPQlb4P.mp4

caspergers has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Oct 19, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"When I started an alcohol fire/dust explosion combo directly under my face I did it the safe way" is certainly an interesting take away from that video.

Safety first, friend

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

caspergers posted:

Lmao like I'm gonna post a video of me doing my tight 5

E: that sounded nsfw

schad tax:
https://i.imgur.com/qPQlb4P.mp4

Ah come on, you’re at least a six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that's what it was for me, Chrome & uBlock stopped working together on Youtube, all the videos showed up as blank gray boxes & the menu was all janky. Already was using Firefox since I heard about the adblock Chrome nonsense like a year ago & knew this was coming, so far so good!