Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Automated car washes, usually the kind at gas stations and small do-it-yourself washes with one or two automated bays.

Why the gently caress are they doing away with the kind that agitates and scrubs the car with soapy brushes and the big soap mop that goes over the car and switching to a brushless system with multiple pressure washes that circle the car and don’t clean poo poo? Like, I can understand if your car is only slightly dirty or you rewash a recently washed car after a light rain, it might get clean with just pressure washing it. But if your car is dirty dirty, it’s gonna stay that way.

My dad was convinced automatic car washes with brushes would scratch your paint over time. That's one of the things he drilled into my brain stem from a young age. I have no idea if it's true or not but I wouldn't dare find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It is true, but I still take my poo poo through them because none of my cars have paint good enough for that to matter to begin with.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

wash bucket posted:

My dad was convinced automatic car washes with brushes would scratch your paint over time. That's one of the things he drilled into my brain stem from a young age. I have no idea if it's true or not but I wouldn't dare find out.

It’s fairly common advice amongst the Tesla set. Not due to any fault in the car washes, but because Tesla’s paint job is so finicky that your only options to avoid damage are hand washing or touchless.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Old carwashes used nylon brushes rather than the softer brushes of today. They also spun way faster. Plus, regardless of the brush type, dirt of various kinds get embedded in the brushes and will sand even the best paints and glass even if just a bit. Have a few carwashes and you'll find that the paint might be quite a bit duller depending on the maintenance done to the brushes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Everything has to have a loving app.

Why can I order Panda Express from the website for some stores but not all of them? Why do I need to download an app to order poo poo from Mcdonald's?

YOU WANT A GOOD DEAL ON CANDLES, DOWNLOAD BATH AND BODY APP TODAY.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Everything has to have a loving app.

Why can I order Panda Express from the website for some stores but not all of them? Why do I need to download an app to order poo poo from Mcdonald's?

YOU WANT A GOOD DEAL ON CANDLES, DOWNLOAD BATH AND BODY APP TODAY.

I’m a dev manager and our CEO has decreed APP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR OUR COMPANY. and now we’re doing the most user hostile things imaginable to get/trick/bribe people into installing our app which is just a wrapper for our website, and offers nothing above or beyond said website

So I guess blame 70 year old CEOs who don’t know snything about technology making decrees

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

shazbot posted:

I’m a dev manager and our CEO has decreed APP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR OUR COMPANY. and now we’re doing the most user hostile things imaginable to get/trick/bribe people into installing our app which is just a wrapper for our website, and offers nothing above or beyond said website

So I guess blame 70 year old CEOs who don’t know snything about technology making decrees

Tell your boss some rando on a dead gay internet forum told them to eat loving poo poo, thanks in advance.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Tell your boss some rando on a dead gay internet forum told them to eat loving poo poo, thanks in advance.

Me and my boss agree with you

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont apps usually have a shitton of tracking poo poo so they can data mine you?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Yeah, I bought concert tickets and thought I would get them by e-mail as per usual. Got my e-mail titled "Your tickets are here!" which tells me the ONLY way I can access my tickets is if I download the AXS app. Can't even view them on the desktop website. It makes me so mad. I already paid for the tickets with money, just let me loving access them instead of holding them hostage in your stupid app.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Speaking of apps:

Oh hey, do you want to sign into our streaming service on your TV? Of course you do, that's like the most logical and predictable use case for the service we provide. And because we're so consumer friendly and know typing passwords with a remote is the worst thing, just go ahead and scan this QR code with your phone and sign in from there. So simple!

What's that? You have our app installed on your phone? Oh just kidding then. We intercept any attempt to navigate to our website and instead just take you to the app instead. And of course we didn't consider this extremely niche use case, so there's now no way to sign in on your phone, short of uninstalling said app. Good luck remote typing the complex and unique password you created since we're inevitably going to get hacked soon enough and leak all your poo poo.

God drat I loving hate apps

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Yeah, I bought concert tickets and thought I would get them by e-mail as per usual. Got my e-mail titled "Your tickets are here!" which tells me the ONLY way I can access my tickets is if I download the AXS app. Can't even view them on the desktop website. It makes me so mad. I already paid for the tickets with money, just let me loving access them instead of holding them hostage in your stupid app.

lol concert tix from big ticketing companies are functionally NFTs now

I found that out when RTJ/RATM cancelled their show in NM after years of rescheduling

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Presumably. But our app doesn’t even data mine anything. There is literally no reason for the customer to use it or for our company to force customers into using it. It benefits nobody! Our CEO just heard apps are all the rage, so get on the bandwagon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

BigHead posted:

I was driving home today and Google maps asked me to turn left. Except it didn't say "turn left in 1000 feet" it said "turn left in 1000 feet at the Papa Johns, home of the fresh baked pizza!"

That's the first time I've ever heard an advertisement in my Google maps directions. I can't say I enjoyed it.

I've heard it say "Turn Left After Burger King" and I thought it was really loving awesome that it gave me a landmark to look at instead of trying to find a tiny rear end street sign. It didn't give me a tagline or anything.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Less than Jake was coming around last year, so I popped online to buy tickets.
$30 each, not bad. Then I went to check out and the total cost was $97 for 2 tickets because of the AXS fees.
I went down to the venue and got them for face value.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I've heard it say "Turn Left After Burger King" and I thought it was really loving awesome that it gave me a landmark to look at instead of trying to find a tiny rear end street sign. It didn't give me a tagline or anything.

Yeah, as a landmark person I like this a lot. It's a shame everything else about the app is utter poo poo. I don't want a mini music player popup taking up half the interface when I listen to music. I don't want a popup telling me there's a delay. I don't want a popup asking me if a speed trap is still there (I always say "no", get rekt speeders). I don't want a popup asking if I want to change routes. I don't want any loving popups, they prevent me from using the map as a map. I'd also love it if Maps would close by default instead of minimizing, or at least give the option to terminate the app from the notification shade.

Waze deals with most of these issues really well, uses way less battery, and looks better to boot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

yes. We track location with ours so we can sell that data to a company and buy location data from other companies in order to see "store engagement" or something

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
PayPal sent me a new card to replace my old one. it had several options for activating it. I of course tried to use the website url, but going there just directed to my usual PayPal page. didn't even try to load whatever it was allegedly going to.

so ok fine I do the phone method. somehow, an activation phone line has fuckin business hours. so I try it the next day, and it goes through. didn't talk to anyone either, so I dunno wtf.

so now my card is activated, great? no, it's still hosed. I've had the previous one for years set to just draw from my bank when I use it, so I don't have to actually trust PayPal to keep my balance for me. updating to this new card has apparently stopped that, so it just tells me oh it was denied, why don't you move some money over to PayPal?? I of course cannot find anything on the website to set it up the old way. I'll try the phone tree again eventually. during business hours.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

PayPal sent me a new card to replace my old one. it had several options for activating it. I of course tried to use the website url, but going there just directed to my usual PayPal page. didn't even try to load whatever it was allegedly going to.

so ok fine I do the phone method. somehow, an activation phone line has fuckin business hours. so I try it the next day, and it goes through. didn't talk to anyone either, so I dunno wtf.

so now my card is activated, great? no, it's still hosed. I've had the previous one for years set to just draw from my bank when I use it, so I don't have to actually trust PayPal to keep my balance for me. updating to this new card has apparently stopped that, so it just tells me oh it was denied, why don't you move some money over to PayPal?? I of course cannot find anything on the website to set it up the old way. I'll try the phone tree again eventually. during business hours.

You have a real bank so why use Paypal?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

AFewBricksShy posted:

Less than Jake was coming around last year, so I popped online to buy tickets.
$30 each, not bad. Then I went to check out and the total cost was $97 for 2 tickets because of the AXS fees.
I went down to the venue and got them for face value.

All these year and they still haven't equaled Jake?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any bank account tied to paypal can be entirely considered already deposited with them, they have free reign to grab or lock up whatever they want. If you don't trust the company, don't trust them with your main bank account either

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Improv comedy: it's great fun live, but in nearly all cases, not nearly as good on televised series or in movies. But it seems to be everywhere.

Even scripted comedy will sometimes have the feel of having been based on an improv bit, quickly written into a script, then filmed as quickly as possible with plenty of adlibbing, and just edit out the least funny bits, make it choppy so it feels quippy. You know Reno 911? Let's make that the model for all comedy now, plus an ensemble cast that snipes at each other like The Office.

I just watched S2 of Avenue 5, and it feels so improvvy everywhere, you could strip all the unfunny bits out of it and you'd have a solid hour of halfway decent, scathing, funny television. But no, we have to delay the action for five minutes while an actor appears to stumble through a dated bit where she mistakes siblings as a couple and can't let it go until it's clear she has accidentally encouraged them to have children. Has nothing to do with the plot, and incest jokes were old at least 15 years ago. Keep it in!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

doctorfrog posted:

Improv comedy: it's great fun live, but in nearly all cases, not nearly as good on televised series or in movies. But it seems to be everywhere.

Even scripted comedy will sometimes have the feel of having been based on an improv bit, quickly written into a script, then filmed as quickly as possible with plenty of adlibbing, and just edit out the least funny bits, make it choppy so it feels quippy. You know Reno 911? Let's make that the model for all comedy now, plus an ensemble cast that snipes at each other like The Office.

I just watched S2 of Avenue 5, and it feels so improvvy everywhere, you could strip all the unfunny bits out of it and you'd have a solid hour of halfway decent, scathing, funny television. But no, we have to delay the action for five minutes while an actor appears to stumble through a dated bit where she mistakes siblings as a couple and can't let it go until it's clear she has accidentally encouraged them to have children. Has nothing to do with the plot, and incest jokes were old at least 15 years ago. Keep it in!

Line-o-Rama became pretty common with the rise of Judd Apatow comedies. Ghostbusters 2019 is pretty commonly referred to as not having a script, and Paul Feig has said he just let the actors keep going and going.

Edit: pay your loving writers.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

doctorfrog posted:

I want to frame this post! I hate how this is the only style of comedy these days. It can be done well, but when it's done badly, it's unwatchable. I blame Judd Apatow.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Discord just updated the design of their app. I don't use Discord that much but I just went in there and you can see so little information at the same time, and I hope you remember what each server's icon is! This is after I picked the minimalist design option.

This is why I'm sticking to IRC. IRCCloud gets it. I'm conversing with people - all I want is the text in my face

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Watching TV in hotel rooms. You used to have all those cable channels, maybe HBO. Now every hotel has lovely digital cable or dish TV shared among all 300 rooms. You can't channel surf like you used to be able to so commercials are even more annoying.

If you are lucky, maybe you can use your existing logins to stream something or cast on your phone but good luck streaming anything on the lovely hotel Wi-Fi connected to the authentic Sorny Magnetbox Smart TV.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Many of TVs these days have USB slots and I've taken to loading a flash drive with media when I travel.

Of course since every TV has it's own unique UI and codecs not every file will work everywhere, so I make sure to bring a bunch of different files.

Speaking of that, I feel like every TV is bespoke and no two TVs or remotes have the same interface.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

Watching TV in hotel rooms. You used to have all those cable channels, maybe HBO. Now every hotel has lovely digital cable or dish TV shared among all 300 rooms. You can't channel surf like you used to be able to so commercials are even more annoying.

If you are lucky, maybe you can use your existing logins to stream something or cast on your phone but good luck streaming anything on the lovely hotel Wi-Fi connected to the authentic Sorny Magnetbox Smart TV.

Aw, hell yeah. I've spent so much time in hotels and one of my pleasures was just channel surfing, as I don't have cable at home.

But it's just as you describe. The Mariott brands share the same TV system, it does differ in locations, but limited.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

WTFBEES posted:

Speaking of apps:

Oh hey, do you want to sign into our streaming service on your TV? Of course you do, that's like the most logical and predictable use case for the service we provide. And because we're so consumer friendly and know typing passwords with a remote is the worst thing, just go ahead and scan this QR code with your phone and sign in from there. So simple!

What's that? You have our app installed on your phone? Oh just kidding then. We intercept any attempt to navigate to our website and instead just take you to the app instead. And of course we didn't consider this extremely niche use case, so there's now no way to sign in on your phone, short of uninstalling said app. Good luck remote typing the complex and unique password you created since we're inevitably going to get hacked soon enough and leak all your poo poo.

God drat I loving hate apps

A large midwestern tool manufacturer is going to try to force people to install an app on their phone to register their tools for a warranty. Being that my hardware store has a significant population of non-technical customers, I am dreading Christmas season. Last year they pulled non-postage paid warranty cards out of the boxes, and made people go online. I seriously think that this is a way to get around having to honor warranties.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'm sitting in a hotel room right now. The TV is actually a Phillips smart TV but they locked out the network settings, which would be fine if it was actually connected to the network.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you need to input complex/good password in your phone thats why you have a password manager. or email, just email yourself the password and copy paste that poo poo.

if the app of website disabled copypasting then just never use them ever again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just think, people are paid actual real money to design apps and interface systems. Like that's someone's job and this is the best they can come up with.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We have 1 maybe 2 generations of people that know how to use a web browser, with all the olds just typing poo poo into googles search bar all the time.

Gen Y/Z can't do anything online without a loving app and a touch interface.

Millennials and gen X can at least make good money as computer touchers.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It actually stuns me how computer illiterate Gen Z is. I place this blame squarely on the race to the bottom that is phones, but holy poo poo it blows my mind that 'navigating a file system' is a lost loving art apparently.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It actually stuns me how computer illiterate Gen Z is. I place this blame squarely on the race to the bottom that is phones, but holy poo poo it blows my mind that 'navigating a file system' is a lost loving art apparently.
I recently saw a presentation by a high schooler who wrote a brain mri visualization software @_@

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

if you need to input complex/good password in your phone thats why you have a password manager. or email, just email yourself the password and copy paste that poo poo.

if the app of website disabled copypasting then just never use them ever again.

Protip don't even bother with passwords at all. Put some random junk in there and just use the forgot password reset link whenever you need it. Bing bong infinite security.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That and schools going, "Well poo poo all these drat kids are better at the computer than we are! they don't need computer classes!"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Its actually pretty hilarious in a way, the phone and computer market is based on metatext and search, where the location of a thing isn't really important. But all the important tools that run those are extremely based on where something is, an by god it better be there. Its especially fun in a corporate environment where everyone is setup by folder permissions, department shares and so on. But your desktop OS is sitting there going "hey, just dump your poo poo into Documents, and then just search for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There was a post on Reddit, in AITA where random words were shortened. Like grandma was gdma and cousin was csin. Half the post was unreadable because so many words were spelled out, but every sentence had one that was not. Reason cited was the story hit the character limit so they had to make reductions in the words. Because the OP had to explain 3 loving times how important being Italian was to her gdma but not her grfa.

Job application sites that have you upload your loving resume AND THEN INPUT ALL THE INFO MANUALLY ON SEVERAL PAGES.