Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

shazbot posted:

So sick of tribes thinking they need to vote out ThE THrEatS who are completely carrying their tribes in challenges while getting dunked on.
Yeah yeah the challenges are designed to require big strong men which is lame but it’s still a fact.
They're not voting him out for being a threat. They wanted to vote him out because he was never in their alliance and they're afraid he could have an idol and use it against them the next vote. All anyone ever says about him is that he's looking for idols all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

They're not voting him out for being a threat. They wanted to vote him out because he was never in their alliance and they're afraid he could have an idol and use it against them the next vote. All anyone ever says about him is that he's looking for idols all the time.

Except two of the people (Julie and Dee) knew he didn't have an idol because they were part of the successful idol hunt last week.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I guess Jeff said in an interview that he thinks Sifu was next based on cutting room floor stuff

What a lame quit

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

RandomHodge posted:

Why would you count Brandon? He sucked at the game but he didn’t quit or ask to be voted out.

The only reason he didn’t quit week 1 is because Hannah beat him to it

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

The only reason he didn’t quit week 1 is because Hannah beat him to it

I mean, ok, but later he was basically begging to be kept around under the guise of loyalty. Seems silly to count him as a quit to make the problem seem worse than it is.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Except two of the people (Julie and Dee) knew he didn't have an idol because they were part of the successful idol hunt last week.
hmm, well, fair haha. But J was pushing it the hardest and didn't know that.

I'm sure a big part of it is also like, this guy was going to be who we booted before the swap, I was already voting him off in my mind, let's do it, and then the only reason not to is if you think you need him in challenges. And they know a merge is coming and that they still have Sean in front of them so why not.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Sean Edwards has 'intense feeling of regret' over quitting Survivor 45

oops!!

e: also, re: this part —— how about going forward only cast people who want to win $1 million, not this ~personal journey~ poo poo

quote:

Because my whole goal in going on Survivor — and I've been honest about this the whole time with production and everyone — was that it was this idea of reclaiming lost time.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

So glad they still made them vote this time.

Julie called it a "last minute audible" to vote Sifu so I wonder if they were voting out Sean before, or if she was just calling it an audible in that it was overriding Sean's own request to go.

Come on though Sean, they don't put you on a plane back home, they keep you in Ponderosa unless you shred your contract!

D voted sifu

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yah I saw, she's also the one that asked Julie to do the same. If Julie had listened it'd be 2-2-1 and still a tie by the grace of Sean voting on Dee instead of on Sifu. Then you'd have the 3 women revoting only, with Sean still begging to leave, and actually now that I think about it though, with Dee and Julie's cards exposed, I think they'd need to push to finish it and take out Sifu over Sean's objections. Could've been a hell of a TC. Dangit julie you should've done it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
lmao i forgot he was a principal. i am having the time of my life if i'm a kid at that school for the next few weeks

"you can't 'quit math class'," they'll say

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fast Luck posted:

So glad they still made them vote this time.

Julie called it a "last minute audible" to vote Sifu so I wonder if they were voting out Sean before, or if she was just calling it an audible in that it was overriding Sean's own request to go.

Come on though Sean, they don't put you on a plane back home, they keep you in Ponderosa unless you shred your contract!

Sean was DOA as soon as the biggest Monkey's Paw Wish Tribe Swap we've ever seen happened and no editing misdirection in the world was gonna change that, especially with the way modern Survivor challenges are designed. Sifu is strong but he's not Jonathan from 42, he's not going to carry the whole tribe on his back.

Julie calling it a last-minute audible tells us that Sifu was never really the primary target. I think Sean recognized that at some point, and in his extreme level of stress and exhaustion decided to go out on something approaching his own terms. Really he just got totally screwed by both the tribe setup and the swap in a way we haven't seen for a while.

As for Sifu, if he can restrain himself from going Full Rupert after tribal council, he'll probably make it to the merge and leave sometime shortly after that.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

e: also, re: this part —— how about going forward only cast people who want to win $1 million, not this ~personal journey~ poo poo

That's tough, because seasons full of gamebots are almost as bad as returnee seasons where people have pregamed each other. The earlier seasons, like Marquesas, had plenty of people for whom the money was secondary, or not even a goal at all.

Fast Luck posted:

hmm, well, fair haha. But J was pushing it the hardest and didn't know that.

J was pushing it the hardest because she knew she was on the wrong side of a 4v2 split in her old tribe and was trying to claim some agency for herself in the post-swap tribe landscape. It didn't work, so she ended up not getting what she wanted and voting for Sean.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 19, 2023

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Calling Brandon a quit is bonkers. He did poorly and was having a really lovely time but never expressed a desire to quit

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Brandon was the real threat. If he stuck around and started doing better he’d have a perfect underdog story.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
90 minute episodes just makes it an even bigger buzz kill when someone quits.

Even if Sean was always going to get voted out, it'd have been better to know it for sure. Would be nice if that's a question that gets asked to the others in interviews.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

Calling Brandon a quit is bonkers. He did poorly and was having a really lovely time but never expressed a desire to quit

His tummy hurt and he wanted out

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Part of me was like wow Sean is acting his rear end off, he’s really selling the quit! Because otherwise I don’t even understand the plan - if I’m Sifu and my alliance is openly saying repeatedly at Tribal they’re voting Sean, I would assume Sean is 100% playing Shot in the Dark and that’s a terrible risk to take. It should’ve tripped someone’s alarm bells. Which is why when Sean asked for votes I was like ah, brilliant way to ensure Sifu won’t be afraid of Shot being played!

Instead, lol

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Re: Sifu…Has there been a survivor winner who spoke in the third person? Surely Rob must’ve from time to time but it’s gotta be a negative factor overall.

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 19, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mp5 posted:

That's tough, because seasons full of gamebots are almost as bad as returnee seasons where people have pregamed each other. The earlier seasons, like Marquesas, had plenty of people for whom the money was secondary, or not even a goal at all.

I think gamebots are distinct from people who really want to win a million dollars. Gamebots want to win, which involves a million dollars, but the victory itself and making themselves a name among survivor-carers seems like the primary motivation.

Get some people who just really want to win because a month of bullshit is worth putting up with for the chance to suddenly be able to have a car and maybe live somewhere without needing roommates. It's kind of a trap though since nobody that really needs the money cant really afford to take that much time off work for a gamble.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ugh husbands are not that interesting and nobody is gonna miss a month of one. easily the worst quit excuse since that person quit because it was slightly hard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

Re: Sifu…Has there been a survivor winner who spoke in the third person? Surely Rob must’ve from time to time but it’s gotta be a negative factor overall.

sandra

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
This season has me down at the bottom of fantasy survivor and therefore it sucks

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Sean Edwards has 'intense feeling of regret' over quitting Survivor 45

oops!!

yeah I think this is part of the problem but its clearly the direction the producers want Survivor to continue in. everyone always crying and telling each other they love them after a couple of days

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CODChimera posted:

yeah I think this is part of the problem but its clearly the direction the producers want Survivor to continue in. everyone always crying and telling each other they love them after a couple of days

This season needs like three Shans.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Khanstant posted:

ugh husbands are not that interesting and nobody is gonna miss a month of one. easily the worst quit excuse since that person quit because it was slightly hard

Per his interviews, it wasn't really about his husband, he just didn't articulate himself well because he was feeling emotional. Here's another interview, with Mike Bloom: https://parade.com/tv/sean-edwards-survivor-45-eliminated-interview

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's less goofy than wanting to be with husband, but I hope we can avoid contestants like this in the future.

This should've been a season where they surprise dump in some new people. In a lot of games if you have that many quitters at the start of the game and the teams are all imbalanced people prefer to leave and start a fresh match. Can't do that here but I wouldn't be mad if they did.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Khanstant posted:

That's less goofy than wanting to be with husband, but I hope we can avoid contestants like this in the future.

This should've been a season where they surprise dump in some new people. In a lot of games if you have that many quitters at the start of the game and the teams are all imbalanced people prefer to leave and start a fresh match. Can't do that here but I wouldn't be mad if they did.

I rather wish they could expand the time back because this is just too fast still.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone said they weren't here to make friends, they're here to win? I know Emily has that energy, and her new alliance seems to have the 2 others to match.

I think I'm rooting for Emily at this point. Being abrasive is great fun, she went from bottom of a tribe that was 2 parts quitter, 1 part useless, the 2 working parts against her. Less than ideal start but maybe now she can do something with her new clique.

I think all the tribes should consider bullying someone into engineering a quit. Just totally ice someone out, make em find their own food, have everyone else just walk away on approach, let them only have scraps from food rewards. Never have to worry about them idoling if they're begging to go home.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I know my wife and I are both rooting for Emily and Kaleb, but mainly Emily because she went from being an obvious choice to be next voted off for several episodes to being someone you just wanna root for. She went from totally unlikeable to endearing very fast.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wonder if Sean quitting / getting voted out is something that would have an effect on Emily & Kaleb's games. Seems like it would make it a lot easier for the other 2 tribes to just vote off the Lulu if they go to tribal. "Well they came together and voted off a Lulu, we should do the same and keep our 6 strong"

Maybe the 1st season of Survivor ever where the first 6 boots were all the same starting tribe?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think Kaleb is in a lot more danger there than Emily. Emily for the moment seems to have found a good little alliance in her new Tribe. Kaleb also seems to be playing well, but what you mentioned could mess that up for him.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Emily's had Final Tribal Council written on her forehead from the moment she spoke up on the mat

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think Sean leaving only helps Kaleb and Emily. They appear even more as free agents now, while still also having each other.

I like that Sean is at least admitting he got lost in the moment and regrets it… still sucks though. In the Dalton interview he even speculated if they kept him against his wishes he might get his head straight and continue on. This dude could’ve maybe even won, I mean still a lot of game left so probably not but that’d eat me alive if I ever did that. It’s pretty much confirmed by Sean and Probst as well that it would’ve been Sifu there.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe the 1st season of Survivor ever where the first 6 boots were all the same starting tribe?

Wild as that would be, it's pretty unlikely just from the losing immunity angle

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Sifu sounds like Bam Margera

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

maybeadracula posted:

Wild as that would be, it's pretty unlikely just from the losing immunity angle

I mean Palau only doesn’t count because they had both tribes go to Tribal in Episode 5 and two people got eliminated by schoolyard pick.

Ulong still lost every immunity challenge and had to vote someone out in each of the first 8 episodes.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Okay, I don't always like the sob story segments, but I want to give Jake props for talking about overcoming a struggle with an eating disorder, even if he never got a formal diagnosis (at least I didn't hear him say he was formally diagnosed) - subclinical eating disorders can still be very bad for your health and hard to overcome. It's really uncommon to hear guys talking about it for what it is, at least in my experience.

So if that helps one person help realize or work through their own issues, I think that's fantastic.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm so sick of weird rear end amulets/idols with so many catches, I'd just take the loving juice and sandwich.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Diabetic posted:

I'm so sick of weird rear end amulets/idols with so many catches, I'd just take the loving juice and sandwich.

That is way too complicated, gimme the sammich

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Diabetic posted:

Big same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It was probably good to spend so much of the time where they spent it just because we know so little about most of the players still due to them not losing every week, but it also had the feeling of being kind of empty when we didn't get to see those people go to council.

All these years later this show can cause me with editing to doubt what seems like the obvious vote no matter how silly the person voting the other way would be . . . but not this week. Never felt like the vote was going the other direction.

Studio posted:

Brandon, hello.

Rude!