Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

that's right the very special phillies fans who have invented sports fandom in 2023 are the only team that is selling out their stadium in the baseball playoffs.

I thought the Phillies stuff was mostly good fun until their fans tried to make a Moment out of a guy saying "Yeah I dunno it probably won't be the literal loudest baseball game I've ever been to because the WBC environment was nuts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Phillies have a lot of fun players to root for and a flair for the dramatic. Diamondbacks are very similar in that regard so I would be happy if they advanced.

It's fun to see teams that are not the Cubs get Corbin Carroll'd

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Intruder posted:

I can't imagine the MLS series had many watchers in Philly that night (unless it happened earlier in the day, I don't know if it did)

It was in the afternoon, a few hours prior. The Union were four minutes from a title before letting completely-washed-and-about-to-retire Gareth Bale tie it and then lost on penalties. They probably won't get back this year (simply not as good and too many improved teams) and thus blew their chance. Unlike the Phillies, the Union owner is a cheapskate who won't pay their best player what he's worth and is letting him walk after this season.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

big time win in game 3 but game 4 is also a must win

Man, you could get paid for this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A lot of people ITT are big mad about the Phillies making GBS threads on the faces of the Diamondbacks for some reason.

And I mean, why? I have no love for Philadelphia as a town, or the state in general, nor any of its sports teams, nor even any of the states surrounding it, but Arizona is one of the most loving repugnant things ever to exist in the history of the world.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hope players keep making tepid comments about stadium noise and we keep making t-shirts with them

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't care that the Phillies are dunking on the Dbacks cause they are bad and shouldn't be in the NLCS anyway

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I don't care that the Phillies are dunking on the Dbacks cause they are bad and shouldn't be in the NLCS anyway

Well the good teams don't deserve to be there either after getting clapped by them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

xbilkis posted:

I thought the Phillies stuff was mostly good fun until their fans tried to make a Moment out of a guy saying "Yeah I dunno it probably won't be the literal loudest baseball game I've ever been to because the WBC environment was nuts"

No one actually is taking offense to this, but Arcia's stuff in the last round was way too much fun. No one on the d-backs really gave any good ammo, so the "Philly can't possibly be louder than the WBC" was the best challenge we could get at the time.

(For what it's worth, apparently in the WBC it got to 107db, it was 112 in CBP). Info from reddit so grain of salt and all.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

You don't root for a real sports franchise unless the victory parade triggers the 7th largest gathering of humanity in history. :smug:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Diamondbacks are reportedly bringing in Jeb! to try to get the stadium louder today.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tony Phillips posted:

Diamondbacks are reportedly bringing in Jeb! to try to get the stadium louder today.

Every "get loud" demand from the scoreboard should be replaced with "please clap"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It’s extremely weak minded to bring up noise when your comparative isn’t even your own home stadium

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

No Safe Word posted:

Well the good teams don't deserve to be there either after getting clapped by them.

Small sample size. The Dodgers played bad for three games, the Dbacks were mediocre for 162

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man, you could get paid for this.

Make me a minority owner of the dodgers with that controversial take

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

triple sulk posted:

It was in the afternoon, a few hours prior. The Union were four minutes from a title before letting completely-washed-and-about-to-retire Gareth Bale tie it and then lost on penalties. They probably won't get back this year (simply not as good and too many improved teams) and thus blew their chance. Unlike the Phillies, the Union owner is a cheapskate who won't pay their best player what he's worth and is letting him walk after this season.

I just want you to remember I kept the faith for you while you kept saying the Phils were dogshit garbage.

You're welcoome

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/mccrystal_alex/status/1714871820619296804

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I wish my first ever baseball game was front row behind home plate in the postseason goddamn

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I wish my first ever baseball game was front row behind home plate in the postseason goddamn

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who are those guys.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/1715005435588084019

1. Dude is from South Jersey
2. Dude got banned last year, too
3. Dude lost two teeth

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Who are those guys.

eagles players

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

euphronius posted:

Who are those guys.

D'Andre Smith and Terrell Edmunds of the Eagles.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cowboy Joe gets his shot at the Hall this year

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1715035839644721367

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Players have to wait five years and umps have to wait two?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Putting umpires in the hall of fame is disgusting and profane

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Worst post season ERA in the extremely small sample size of "since 2020"

IDK if last night is "Scherzer sucks in the playoffs" as much as it is "it's bad to start a guy who hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in more than a month in the ALCS". You'll note they aren't starting Jon Gray tonight.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Surprised by Urquidy. Feels like he's had some strong starts. This is of course a vibes only thing though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Worst post season ERA in the extremely small sample size of "since 2020"

IDK if last night is "Scherzer sucks in the playoffs" as much as it is "it's bad to start a guy who hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in more than a month in the ALCS". You'll note they aren't starting Jon Gray tonight.
wait wait wait, you're telling me that starting an old and injured pitcher in the postseason doesn't tend to work out well???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I get that Scherzer is Scherzer and a no doubt HoF and all that, but even without hindsight it was pretty dumb for Bochey to let himself be talked into letting the guy's first pitching appearance in five weeks coming off injury be an NLCS start. "You can come out of the pen for a bit and if it goes well we'll look at a WS start" seems much more reasonable but then again the postseason is manager brain poison where all logic goes out the window and all that matters is veterancy and will to win and grit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

wait wait wait, you're telling me that starting an old and injured pitcher in the postseason doesn't tend to work out well???

Not that it came to pass but I still can't believe Roberts threw out Kershaw with half of a left shoulder, and after he invariably got blown the gently caress out because he could barely throw the baseball Roberts had the gall after the game to say Kershaw was still lined up to pitch game four. Just the absolute dumbest loving poo poo possible even acknowledging that the Dodgers' pitching situation was a mess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Surprised by Urquidy. Feels like he's had some strong starts. This is of course a vibes only thing though

It's six games that include one where he gave up 5 in 1.2 IP against Boston in '21

Sydin posted:

Not that it came to pass but I still can't believe Roberts threw out Kershaw with half of a left shoulder, and after he invariably got blown the gently caress out because he could barely throw the baseball Roberts had the gall after the game to say Kershaw was still lined up to pitch game four. Just the absolute dumbest loving poo poo possible even acknowledging that the Dodgers' pitching situation was a mess.

Even Dusty wasn't going to start JV on short rest in the DS

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

It's six games that include one where he gave up 5 in 1.2 IP against Boston in '21

I have to think Verlander himself must have told Dusty it wasn't the best idea

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I think that was just Dave publicly backing up his guy. His unwillingness to use Pepiot in Game 3 kind of shows the reality of the situation, that he did not in fact trust Kershaw in a hypothetical Game 4 and was saving Pepiot for that.

zoux posted:

There was an extra off day between games 1 and 2 in the NLDS so game 4 would have been regular rest, not short.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, that makes more sense.

We told yall everyone was doing it!

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 19, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lou should be kicking his hat on the plaque

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Piniella and Hargrove are two of the most "Those guys played baseball? Professionally?" guys ever.

Then again, looking at Kevin Seitzer

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Red posted:

Piniella and Hargrove are two of the most "Those guys played baseball? Professionally?" guys ever.

Lou was an elite 70s Sideburns Guy

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I look forward to Angel Hernandez: Hall of Famer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Red posted:

Seitzer was so good his first few years with the Royals. I was convinced he was another George Brett. He wasn't but 28 bWAR is not bad.

And Pinella won a probably-not-deserved ROY for the first year Royals team before getting traded for a 38 year old Lindy McDaniel for reasons that probably made sense at the time.

Maybe you just hate young Royals players. :colbert: