Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Blood Ceremony just released a new music video for Powers Of Darkness. I gotta say, I've loved every single one of their records but this new one might just be my favorite. There was always something anachronistic about their sound, with obvious comparisons to jethro Tull and Black Sabbath, especially on their first two records, but something about The Old Ways Remain is so just, catchy and polished. This track and Ipsissimus sound like they could be right out of the early 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxo0k7RKV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
yob was so loving good last night.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
last post about my band for a while: we finally released all of the songs for the demo, here's the last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRIgy1EJH0

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

muike posted:

last post about my band for a while: we finally released all of the songs for the demo, here's the last one

This is great! Keep posting stuff.

My band is still writing for a new album. We've got 3 pretty much done, the goal is 9 songs written and choose the best 6-7. My non-doom band just finished our second EP. Busy in all the right ways.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks man! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you guys drop.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

muike posted:

Yeah this is cool and you should just post whatever you guys do. My only criticism is that the demo isn’t called Sordid Spell for the name trifecta

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Forming the Void on an indefinite hiatus. :saddowns:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxGS2whr8oU/?hl=en

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Does anyone clued in enough to have a Queens of the Stone Age presale code? I don't really need to see them but SPIRITUALIZED are opening.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hatelull posted:

Does anyone clued in enough to have a Queens of the Stone Age presale code? I don't really need to see them but SPIRITUALIZED are opening.

That’s a surprising combo! I’m tempted to see Spiritualized in NY but I’m a little hesitant, the two times I’ve seen them were really disappointing. Maybe I was unlucky

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Looks like Chelsea Wolfe is gearing up for another tour/release. always amazing live

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

My copy of Heavy Rocks on vinyl arrived today, never thought I would see the day

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

My copy of Heavy Rocks on vinyl arrived today, never thought I would see the day

which one :v:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Saw Boris & Melvins last night, admittedly I never really spent the time to listen to Melvins all that much, but that will change now since they were very cool. Boris was awesome but I feel like they weren't nearly as loud as the first time I saw them at Days of Darkness fest in Baltimore. This time was a more wide open style venue so that probably was a factor, it's not like they weren't loud I just was expecting to be absolutely pummeled with sound again.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Varg posted:

admittedly I never really spent the time to listen to Melvins all that much

:staredog:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have t either but I am slowly changing that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Saw the DC melvins/boris show and it was great (as always). Boris playing Boris may have been the heaviest thing I’ve seen live. Hadn’t seen melvins in a real long time. Their setlist is very good for this tour

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was sad Boris didn’t play Boris the Melvins song, setlist.fm made me think they would but maybe the Desertfest schedule was too tight.

I loved the Melvins and Boris but Godflesh played before them and were devastatingly heavy, definitely my favorite set of the day, and the best I’ve heard them sound in decades.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm going to Boris/Melvins in like 3 weeks at Sunshine Theater, I bet that's gonna be a loud one

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Snowy posted:

I was sad Boris didn’t play Boris the Melvins song, setlist.fm made me think they would but maybe the Desertfest schedule was too tight.

I loved the Melvins and Boris but Godflesh played before them and were devastatingly heavy, definitely my favorite set of the day, and the best I’ve heard them sound in decades.

I saw Godflesh two nights in a row in January in London and it was utterly incredible. Green's bass sounded like a loving avalanche.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thou are touring Australia next year so I guess I better go to that.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Laserface posted:

Thou are touring Australia next year so I guess I better go to that.

This was the news I needed today, I am extremely there. Interesting that they're doing seperate Melbourne and Frankston shows, with the Frankston one being cheaper. I wonder how much of an overlap there will be in attendance between the two.

This also reminds me I need to get back into the album they did with Mizmor again after forgetting that it existed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

dihaploidy posted:

This was the news I needed today, I am extremely there. Interesting that they're doing seperate Melbourne and Frankston shows, with the Frankston one being cheaper. I wonder how much of an overlap there will be in attendance between the two.

This also reminds me I need to get back into the album they did with Mizmor again after forgetting that it existed.

Where would they play in Frankston? Thought the 21st Century had closed.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Elissimpark posted:

Where would they play in Frankston? Thought the 21st Century had closed.

Singing Bird Studios

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Because it's how I mostly buy music these days:

Remember how Epic Games bought Bandcamp 18 months ago? Well, they're hemorrhaging money (or so they claim) and have sold it to the "music marketing company" Songtradr. Never heard of them, but... it just seem like good news.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

man, Coady Willis fuckin' slayed filling in for Dale at Melvins last night. Such a good drummer.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

MrQwerty posted:

man, Coady Willis fuckin' slayed filling in for Dale at Melvins last night. Such a good drummer.

I just looked him up (I'm bad with names of guys in bands), and yes, he's awesome.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If there is any Canberra goons :australia: come to the basement tomorrow night, there's a few sludge/doom bands on and mine is one of em.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I just looked him up (I'm bad with names of guys in bands), and yes, he's awesome.

I got to see Melvins when Big Business were full-time in the band, that's how I found out about him. I was stoked when he was announced as the permanent replacement for Des in HoF.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
Coady Willis is a really great drummer and the Big Business album Here Come the Waterworks is one of my favorites in the genre. It's got lots of technical playing, huge tones, catchy and deep songwriting, but the thing that puts it over the top for me is the lyrics. I'm normally impartial to lyrics, but the album tells stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEoIoiHczwU

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
So glad shows are coming back. Living in Florida, it's hard to find any kind of Doom shows or even heavy psychedelic in general. Theres a punk scene and a lot of my friends overlap with that but I'm not huge into it. Recently. however, I got to see a band play called Smoke Mountain, they have a very small number of listeners on spotify and when I showed up to the bar it was me and a friend and maybe like 13 other people the band knew. There were people there that didn't even know there was a band playing there that night. Never been to a show like that before but me and my friend ended up hanging out with the band until closing time so it was pretty awesome. This is off their only album so far "Queen Of Sin".

https://youtu.be/5BNpRzWhpcg?si=Ss5ERYVxYcdDHicM

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Those are the best nights.

Just got done playing with lucifungus, hydranaut and pod people.

Lucifungus are leaving for Europe, check them out EU goons if you like two piece sludge.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

Those are the best nights.

Sometimes.

When I played back in the day, and the crowd was close to nil, we just treated the show as another practice; gently caress all mistakes. It made for a very relaxed playing atmosphere.

Other times, yeah, when the crowd was not what we expected, but big enough to not gently caress around, interacting with the people there was super fun.

I miss those days.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Boris and the Melvins was an awesome show. We all know this.

mr.phlyzzz though! They were so much fun!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think I'm gonna go see High on Fire in a couple weeks. Where's the best album to start? I saw them probably 18 years ago but wasn't into them at the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I'm gonna go see High on Fire in a couple weeks. Where's the best album to start? I saw them probably 18 years ago but wasn't into them at the time.

They’re a really consistent band so you can start just about anywhere but my personal favorites are Luminiferous and De Vermis Mysteriis. Their recent sets appear heavy on Death Is This Communion so that might be the move for the sake of getting familiar.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Henchman of Santa posted:

They’re a really consistent band so you can start just about anywhere but my personal favorites are Luminiferous and De Vermis Mysteriis. Their recent sets appear heavy on Death Is This Communion so that might be the move for the sake of getting familiar.

Right on, thanks. Right now I'm enjoying Blessed Black Wings, picked at random.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I was looking for three albums with a similar sound to Dopes to Infinity by Monster Magnet - rather than just replaying Dopes to Infinity for the umpteenth time - where would be a good place to start?

(I have Powertrip by them as well, don't play it so often - and I never got any of their later stuff cause I was afraid it wouldn't live up to Dopes.)

Fe: lol I finally bothered to look up who played guitar on that album, guessing something by Atomic Bitchwax?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

If I was looking for three albums with a similar sound to Dopes to Infinity by Monster Magnet - rather than just replaying Dopes to Infinity for the umpteenth time - where would be a good place to start?

(I have Powertrip by them as well, don't play it so often - and I never got any of their later stuff cause I was afraid it wouldn't live up to Dopes.)

Fe: lol I finally bothered to look up who played guitar on that album, guessing something by Atomic Bitchwax?

I don't have an answer for you, but Atomic Bitchwax strikes me as a little more garage stoner psych than big arena leather pants rock like Monster Magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Right on, thanks. Right now I'm enjoying Blessed Black Wings, picked at random.

BBW is probably my fav of theirs with Art of Self Defense as a close second.