Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
The following treasonous individuals with a the Ukraine avatar report to jail for mobilization into the human wave brigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1714985630927560805
:sickos:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

OAquinas posted:

Hedy Lamarr would like a word.

That's Hedley!

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Ipads were first presented in the 90s on Star Trek Next Generation and are widely in use today so there is definitely something to be said about pop culture spurring on innovation.

We excel at murdering each other, it would be good if we channeled that energy into saving lives and more importantly, preserving our species but one is far more profitable than the other.
2001 A Space Odyssey had them in 1968. It was entered as evidence in a lawsuit between Apple and a competitor iirc.

Waiting for the next big ATACMS and wondering why the Russian army doesn’t have an equivalent in quantity.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Mirror mirror on the wall, please mount a prior art defense for voice activated flat screen devices please. Mr. Baggins, right this way, I'll need your statement on wearable networked technology. Moses has already sent over written transcripts confirming his tablet devices received information wirelessly previously, so I'll be entering that into the record as well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Still laughing at Putin trying to look and sound all calm and composed in China. The loving arm gestures he makes are up there with Shoigu's "we're hosed" shrug.

“Why supply ATACMS? Let (the US) take back ATACMS and all other weapons (because we have no way to counter or defend against this stuff)"

And all this nonsense about pancakes and tea parties?

Silly Shitler, haven't you heard? Keep your friends close, and your enemies about 300km away so you can drop 500lbs of explosives on their loving heads without any risk of retaliation.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Given the average length of Putin's table, is he sure he isn't at a tea party with Biden currently? Passing the sugar requires an ICBM. Let him know it's on the way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Still laughing at Putin trying to look and sound all calm and composed in China. The loving arm gestures he makes are up there with Shoigu's "we're hosed" shrug.

“Why supply ATACMS? Let (the US) take back ATACMS and all other weapons (because we have no way to counter or defend against this stuff)"

And all this nonsense about pancakes and tea parties?

Silly Shitler, haven't you heard? Keep your friends close, and your enemies about 300km away so you can drop 500lbs of explosives on their loving heads without any risk of retaliation.

For drat sure I don't understand what the translation has done to whatever grammatical texture was in the original. "Let them stop supplying missiles!" Uh ... no? Nobody asked your opinion?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Big rear end On Fire posted:

2001 A Space Odyssey had them in 1968. It was entered as evidence in a lawsuit between Apple and a competitor iirc.

Waiting for the next big ATACMS and wondering why the Russian army doesn’t have an equivalent in quantity.

It’s funny but when I was writing my post I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that I was forgetting something, lol.

Yep, you’re right.

What we need are food replicators and tri-corders, although there are reasonable facsimiles of the latter as a field medical device using algorithms to determine a variety of things using tissue and blood samples and a smartphone and less focus on laser blasters but laser blasters will be a thing long before the other two.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ought ten posted:

Watching combat footage is going to be so much more enjoyable when it’s all guilt-free drone disintegration. Look at those little pieces of poo poo explode! Hell yeah!

Seriously, how did this company not make a montage mixtape of blowing up drones.

Also: the MIC decided to take technicals to the gym.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Russian brigade commander in an address to his troops, shouting from a mountain top with arms raised triumphantly: "you will all die and it will be GOOD!"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

It’s funny but when I was writing my post I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that I was forgetting something, lol.

Yep, you’re right.

What we need are food replicators and tri-corders, although there are reasonable facsimiles of the latter as a field medical device using algorithms to determine a variety of things using tissue and blood samples and a smartphone and less focus on laser blasters but laser blasters will be a thing long before the other two.

we need more AI willing to kill all humans. Perhaps some kind of bendering robot? I dunno, just spitballing here

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Dick Bastardly posted:

Russian brigade commander in an address to his troops, shouting from a mountain top with arms raised triumphantly: "you will all die and it will be GOOD!"

The mountain is made of the corpses of the last batch of troops under his command.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Yep, you’re right.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-106717#:~:text=What%20is%20it%3F,and%20high%20power%20microwave%20weapons.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Flyinglemur posted:

we need more AI willing to kill all humans. Perhaps some kind of bendering robot? I dunno, just spitballing here

I support this initiative for various reasons.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yep, you’re right.

The materials science and physics of creating a man-portable energy weapon seem a lot simpler than a "point at a person and get a medical readout" tool - but I may be biased because I do work with diagnostics and AI, but I do not work with phaser pistols. Even meticulously measuring a blood sample in a person you know is sick is fiddly and sometimes inconclusive work so far.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Star Trek sensor technology is one of the most unbelievable things about the setting. It's top tier clarktech magic bullshit in a universe full of that stuff.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So what's this about Russia did another Avdiivka again today

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Every time the news gets slow about Ukraine, Russia decides to do some more meat grinding. It’s old hat at this point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

So what's this about Russia did another Avdiivka again today

They found more men and materiel to throw away there. It didn't work out very well for them and the milbloggers set to whining again about it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Yep, you’re right.

Nah, making a laser that can replace a gun is a really long way away. Making something for naval or aviation use to shoot down missiles or whatever is one thing, making something in the roughly ten-ish pound range that a rando can carry that will kill a person at a distance? That's really, really hard. We need like two separate revolutions in power generation and battery technology before that can happen. The tri-corder thing, not as much. You might just live to see that one.

Replicators though, that's just magic. At the point we have that society as you can reasonably understand it is over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flyinglemur posted:

Can't we just use the Tesla self driving AI?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1715019254418784487#m
Ukraine's Baba Yaga drones and their drone operators have achieved bogeyman status with the milblogger community.
Footage is SFW

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ought ten posted:

Watching combat footage is going to be so much more enjoyable when it’s all guilt-free drone disintegration. Look at those little pieces of poo poo explode! Hell yeah!

sorry m8, when your drone dies in VR you die irl

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Hear me out...

A Killdozer-style AI-driven Tesla with a laser AND a gun that replicates Twinkies and shoots them out at near-relativistic speeds to kill us all!

:munch:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

You really really don't want anything hitting anything at anywhere near relativistic speeds anywhere on the planet.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Sedgr posted:

You really really don't want anything hitting anything at anywhere near relativistic speeds anywhere on the planet.

Shouldn't we let the Teslaughter Machine decide that?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sedgr posted:

CERN and about 1.5 billion Swiss Franc would like a word with you.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Hear me out...

A Killdozer-style AI-driven Tesla with a laser AND a gun that replicates Twinkies and shoots them out at near-relativistic speeds to kill us all!

Further, let's put it this way: Ukraine is like their house, and it is rich with twinkies and natural deposits of X-Boxes. What would you do if someone came into your house and stole your X-Boxes and twinkies? Or if, you know, there were certain people who had demonstrated a propensity to probably stealing your x-boxes and twinkies and were on your property, what is justifiable?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sedgr posted:

Light does it all the time, how bad could it really be!?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

DandyLion posted:

Light does it all the time, how bad could it really be!?

Mirrors are so bad-rear end

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Might as well I guess. Does an extinction event count as a kill limit?

Computer viking posted:

CERN and about 1.5 billion Swiss Franc would like a word with you.
Now we're back to lasers though. I thought we were talking bullets.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Hear me out...

Teslas autopilot kills enough people as it is.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sedgr posted:

Might as well I guess. Does an extinction event count as a kill limit?

Now we're back to lasers though. I thought we were talking bullets.

The LHC fires protons?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Computer viking posted:

The LHC fires protons?

Are they 9mm protons or .45 protons? Stopping power makes all the difference.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a huge piece of proton.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sedgr posted:

I don't know, but the rate of fire is incredible.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

https://web.mit.edu/starflt/Temp/ravioli

quote:

Subject: Under enough pressure, ravioli behaves as a gas.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:43:20 -0500

quote:

There was still one aspect of the whole concept of a ravioli-loaded railgun type wepon which we, lolling about late on a weeknight, with only a few neurons randomly firing, could not resolve. Would a chunk of metal (can of ravioli) impacting another, larger, rest mass structure (star destroyer) produce an "explosion" effect, or simply punch an appropriately shaped hole as it passed through? Bill?

What am I, the neighborhood blast physicist??? Well, maybe... :-)

It all depends on speed of impact versus the speed of sound in the target (what is called the Mach number, where Mach 1 means the speed of sound, Mach 2 is twice the speed of sound, etc), and the speed of the ravioli versus the speed of light in the target (which I'll call the Cerenkov number, where Cerenkov 1 is the speed of light in anything; Cerenkov 1.3 is the speed of high-energy protons in a water-cooled reactor (that's why you get that nifty blue glow), and you can get up to Cerenkov 2.4 using diamonds and nuclear accellerators. In the late 40's people used to talk about Cerenkov numbers, but they don't anymore. Pity.). Lastly, there's the ravioli velocity expressed as a fraction of the speed of light in a vacuum (that is, as a fraction of "c"). "C" velocities are always between 0 and 1.

At low speeds (REAL low) the ravioli will simply flow over the surface, yielding a space-cruiser with a distinctly Italian paint job.

Faster (still well below speed-of-sound in the target) the metal of the space-cruiser's skin will distort downward, making what we Boston drivers call a "small dent".

Faster still, you may have a "big dent" or maybe even a "big dent with a hole in the middle", caused by the ravioli having enough energy to push the dent through, stretching and thinning the hull metal till the metal finally tears in the middle of the dent.

Getting up past Mach 1 (say, 5000 feet/sec for steel), you start to get punch-a-hole-shaped-like-the-object effects, because the metal is being asked to move faster than the binding forces in the object can propagate the "HEY! MOVE!" information. (After all, sound is just the binding forces between atoms in a material moving the adjacent atoms -- and the speed of sound is how fast the message to "move" can propagate.) From this, we see that WileE Coyote often reached far-supersonic speeds because
he often punched silhouette-type holes in rocks, cliffs, trucks, etc.

Around Mach 4 or so, another phenomenon starts -- compressive heating. This is where the leading edge of the ravioli actually starts being heated by compression (remember PV=nRT, the ideal gas law?) Well, ravioli isn't a gas, but under enough pressure, ravioli behaves as a gas. It is compressed at the instant of impact and gets hot -- very hot. Likewise, the impact point on the hull is compressed and gets hot. Both turn to gasses -- real gasses, glowing-white-hot gasses. The gasses expand spherically, causing crater-like effects, including a raised rim and a basically parabolic shape. In the center of the crater, some material is vaporized, then there's a melt zone, then a larger "bent" zone, and the
raised rim is caused because the gas expansion bubble center point (the bending force) is actually *inside* the hull plate. If the hull plate isn't thick enough, then the gas-expansion bubble pushes through to the other side, and you get a structural breach event (technically speaking, a "big hole") in the side of the space-cruiser.

Compressive heating really hits the stride up around 20,000 feet/sec (Mach 4 in steel, Mach 15 in air) and continues as a major factor all the way up to the high fractional Cerenkov speeds, where nuclear forces begin to take effect.

Aside: the "re-entry friction heating" that spacecraft endure when the reenter the atmosphere is NOT friction. It's really compressive heating of the air in the path. As long as the spacecraft is faster than Mach 1, the air can't know to get out of the way, so it bunches up in front of the spacecraft. When you squeeze any gas, it gets hot. So, the glowing "reentry gas" is really just squeezed air, which heats the spacecraft heat shield by conduction and infrared. The hypersonic ravioli can be expected to behave similarly.

As we increase speed from the high Mach numbers (about 10 miles/sec) all the way up to about 150,000 miles/sec, not much different happens except that the amount of kinetic energy (which turns into compressive heat) increases. This is a huge range of velocity, but it's uninteresting velocity.

At high fractional Cerenkov speeds, the ravioli is now beginning to travel at relativistic velocities. Among other things, this means that the ravioli is aging more slowly than usual, and the ravioli can looks compressed in the direction of travel. But that's really not important right now.

As we pass Cerenkov 1.0 in the target, we get a new phenomenon -- Cerenkov radiation. This is that distinctive blue glow seen around water-cooled reactors. It's just (relatively) harmless light (harmless compared to the other blast effects, that is). I mention it only because it's so nifty...

At around .9 c (Cerenkov 1.1) , the ravioli starts to perceptibly weigh more. It's just a relativistic mass increase -- all the additional weight is actually energy, available to do compressive heating upon impact. The extra weight is converted to heat energy according to the equation E=mc^2; it looks like compressive heating but it's not.

[Here's where I'm a little hazy on the numbers; I'm at work and don't have time to rederive the Lorentz transformations.]

At around .985 c (Cerenkov 1.2 or so), the ravioli now weighs twice what it used to weigh. For a one pound can, that's two pounds... or about sixty megatons of excess energy. All of it turns to heat on impact. Probably very little is left of the space-cruiser.

At around .998 c, the impacting ravioli begins to behave less like ravioli and more like an extremely intense radiation beam. Protons in the water of the ravioli begin to successfully penetrate the nuclei of the hull metal. Thermonuclear interactions, such as hydrogen fusion, may take place in the tomato sauce.

At around .9998 c, the ravioli radiation beam is still wimpy as far as nuclear accellerator energy is concerned, but because there is so much of it, we can expect a truly powerful blast of mixed radiation coming out of the impact site. Radiation, not mechanical blast, may become the largest hazard to any surviving crew members.

At around .9999999 c, the ravioli radiation may begin to produce "interesting" nuclear particles and events (heavy, short-lived particles).

At around .999999999999 c, the ravioli impact site may begin to resemble conditions in the original "big bang"; equilibrium between matter and energy; free pair production; antimatter and matter coexisting in
equilibrium with a very intense gamma-ray flux, etc.[1]

Past that, who knows? It may be possible to generate quantum black holes given a sufficiently high velocity can of ravioli.

--Bill

[1]According to physicist W. Murray, we may also expect raining frogs, plagues of locusts, cats and dogs living together, real Old Testament destruction. You get the idea...

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
That one dude took a particle accelerator straight to the face and it didn't kill him. Zero stopping power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Only registered members can see post attachments!