Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

smackfu posted:

But I don’t think this has much to do with Trump since he’s not going to ever get a financial penalty of “owes a billion dollars.” I wouldn’t expect any sanctions against the Trump org to end up with him living in a shack down by the river.

Don't he and his children and his accountants already have the financial penalty of "can never again operate or serve on the board of a non-profit corporation and their existing one is dissolved and all its assets given away to charity", and are in the process of getting the financial penalty of "can never again operate or serve on the board of a for-profit corporation and all their existing ones are dissolved and all their assets (like Mar-a-Lago and Trump Tower) sold off to pay creditors and fines"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Watching CNN

Sidney Powell has flipped. Took a misdemeanor plea deal in exchange for testimony.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Holy poo poo!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/politics/sidney-powell-fulton-county-georgia-2020-election-subversion

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Deteriorata posted:

Watching CNN

Sidney Powell has flipped. Took a misdemeanor plea deal in exchange for testimony.

This is a very big deal. We will see more flipping soon, I'm guessing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1715005652970435010

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wonder how long the Cheese is gonna hold on now that Crackers broke.

I’m just assuming Trump is making GBS threads bricks like he’s playing a euro game.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wonder how long the Cheese is gonna hold on now that Crackers broke.

I’m just assuming Trump is making GBS threads bricks like he’s playing a euro game.
He's not going to get a 2nd chance.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

She managed to finally release the Kraken. She was the Kraken, and releasing it means probation.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Deteriorata posted:

Watching CNN

Krakens are well known for preferring to remain unleashed.

Caros
May 14, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

She managed to finally release the Kraken. She was the Kraken, and releasing it means probation.

Honestly, her life is ruined and I'm okay with that. She's going to be financially obliterated by dominion, and she's now a convict which means her license is probably poo poo (not that she could do much with it anyways).

Having her testifying against the rest of the goon squad is a trade I am willing to make since she's already hosed six ways to Sunday.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Her only path forward in life is crying on right-wing conspiracy shows about how the Feds forced her to confess

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Caros posted:

Honestly, her life is ruined and I'm okay with that. She's going to be financially obliterated by dominion, and she's now a convict which means her license is probably poo poo (not that she could do much with it anyways).

Having her testifying against the rest of the goon squad is a trade I am willing to make since she's already hosed six ways to Sunday.

Oh, knowing the range of things that she's facing already, I am perfectly fine with Powell not going to jail. I want the head of the (Orangeman) snake, and just about anything to get said head (through the laws) will be worth it to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean, prison is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. She's done criminal defense so she knows how bad it is.

(Yes, I don't even want Trump jailed. I want him *committed*. But I'll take what I can get.)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Her only path forward in life is crying on right-wing conspiracy shows about how the Feds forced her to confess

Ah, the Mike Flynn.

Also, because I just about died laughing, I wanted to share the cope with you fine folks.

https://twitter.com/Techno_Fog/status/1715014084947489017?t=X88_rIOs8c09MycWN6gTPg&s=19

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 19, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Caros posted:

Ah, the Mike Flynn.

Also, because I just about died laughing, I wanted to share the cope with you fine folks.

https://twitter.com/Techno_Fog/status/1715014084947489017?t=X88_rIOs8c09MycWN6gTPg&s=19

That is the most absurd spin I could have imagined.

She’s not fully cooperating with the DA in exchange for probation. No, the crooked DA dropped all charges before trial because of shenanigans.

Edit: there is some reporting that Chesebro rejected a similar deal.

Also, did McAfee rule on the 1st amendment claims yet? I assume he must have if Powell doesn’t think the case will be dismissed.

Also also, how does this intersect with her being an unindicted coconspirator in the DC case? I assume all the evidence and testimony provided here can be subpoenaed or otherwise acquired by Smith?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 19, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

How exactly does RWM go about spinning Powell flipping and admitting to the crimes. Either way the grift seems to be falling apart really fast this week and just not seeing where they recover frlm it all.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"the deep state got to her"

It doesn't have to be rational

Caros
May 14, 2008

Murgos posted:

That is the most absurd spin I could have imagined.

She’s not fully cooperating with the DA in exchange for probation. No, the crooked DA dropped all charges before trial because of shenanigans.

Edit: there is some reporting that Chesebro rejected a similar deal.

Also, did McAfee rule on the 1st amendment claims yet? I assume he must have if Powell doesn’t think the case will be dismissed.

Also also, how does this intersect with her being an unindicted coconspirator in the DC case? I assume all the evidence and testimony provided here can be subpoenaed or otherwise acquired by Smith?

My understanding is that he tossed out most of the first amendment stuff this week. I know he tossed Cheesebro's first amendment claims yesterday.

My guess is that she was waiting to see if any of her hail Mary 'oh Rico doesn't count' crap worked and then saw the writing on the wall that she would be going to prison for years if she didn't plea.

I'm curious if the cheese boy goes at this point. He has strong true believer vibes.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

https://www.youtube.com/live/bHTz__OGYVo?si=qY4vqwTauKI320CR

By gawd there's tapes

Caros
May 14, 2008

I have to say I admire the transparency in Georgia courts.

I also can't shake the feeling that McAfee is actually just Marc Evan Jackson moonlighting as a judge.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Obviously the deep state killed the real Sydney Powell and replaced her with a clone

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Froghammer posted:

Obviously the deep state killed the real Sydney Powell and replaced her with a clone

The clone seems like a better person. Good job deep state!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pants Donkey posted:

Doubt they’d pick up her up, since they’d see her as a traitor. But those in desperate need of attention (Alex Jones?) might stan her.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think some of the voting machine stuff Powell was charged with was pretty hard to defend, especially once the bail bondsman guy flipped and would testify what she said and did. The charges besides the RICO one.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
BTW, speaking of Alex Jones earlier in the thread and his consequences, the judge tossed his idea that he could get rid of his entire judgement against him in bankruptcy. (Note: This doesn't mean it might not get REDUCED, because "reckless" judgements CAN be reduced in bankruptcy, while willfull and malicious behavior ones can't be. The judge may have to rule as to how much of his activity (and thus the judgement) was just reckless instead of malicious. Personally, I would rule that anything after he was shown that the charges he was making was false was malicious, but that's why I'm not (but should be) a judge ;)

https://www.reuters.com/legal/alex-jones-cant-avoid-sandy-hook-verdicts-bankruptcy-judge-2023-10-19/

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wonder if Trump will get charged in Michigan now?

Michigan AG drops charges against fake GOP elector after he agrees to cooperate

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/politics/michigan-fake-elector-deal

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Eight felonies down to everything dismissed. Either he has some things to say or they didn’t like the odds of getting a verdict against a 76-year-old. Or a little of both.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Add "Destruction of Evidence," "Obstruction of Justice," and possibly "Perjury" to the charges in the Trump fraud trial:

It now seems clear why Allen Weisselberg's testimony ended

quote:

Last week, Allen Weisselberg's testimony in the New York attorney general's civil fraud trial against Donald Trump, Weisselberg himself and others abruptly ended. And while the fact of that ending was easily observable, the why was not.

Some suggested it could have been because just hours earlier, Forbes, citing emails and reporters' notes, published a report accusing Weisselberg of lying on the stand. And earlier this week, I noted that while it's impossible to know, on the basis of publicly available information, whether Forbes is right, if Weisselberg gave knowingly false testimony, there could be consequences given his probation conditions.

For days, New York Attorney General Letitia James' team has been quiet about Weisselberg. But it broke its silence on Thursday morning with a letter that seems to confirm the Forbes report was indeed the reason the former Trump Organization CFO did not return to the witness stand after the lunch break on Oct. 12.

The veracity of Weisselberg's testimony is not the attorney general's chief concern right now, much less a stated concern at all.

The letter explained that during a sidebar — a conversation between counsel and the judge that the parties, witnesses and spectators are not meant to hear — the attorney general's office "asked for an opportunity to follow up on the Forbes article ... and its discussion of 'old emails and notes, some of which the attorney general's office does not possess.'"

But the veracity of Weisselberg's testimony is not the attorney general's chief concern right now, much less a stated concern at all. For now, the attorney general has not itself accused Weisselberg of lying.

Instead, having reviewed documents produced by the Trump Org, the attorney general's office told Judge Arthur Engoron that it "has identified likely omissions from production around inquiries from Forbes in 2016," including communications between Weisselberg and an employee of Marcus & Millichap, with whom he consulted with respect to golf course valuations.

The attorney general's office said Marcus & Millichap itself produced certain communications between its employee and Weisselberg regarding "golf course comparables" that Weisselberg sought in responding to Forbes. Yet these documents include ones the Trump Org itself did not hand over, according to the attorney general's office.

You might be thinking, "So what? Is it really a big problem that the attorney general is missing certain emails from the Trump Org if it received them from the other party?"

Yes and no.

The attorney general's letter attaches a single example of an email produced by Marcus & Millichap that wasn't found in the Trump Org's own documents. That document, of course, is just an example, and one that is relatively costless for the attorney general's team to highlight. (Significantly, it has already been used as a trial exhibit.)

What that example might illustrate, on the other hand, is a potentially big problem, or as the attorney general describes it, "a breakdown somewhere in the process of preserving, collecting, reviewing and producing documents" despite years of work by the attorney general to "ensure a complete response to [the attorney general's] subpoenas."

The attorney general is arming itself for a larger battle over truth, consequences and the future of the Trump Org.

More ominously, the attorney general's office observes that in light of "multiple affidavits on behalf of the Trump Org attesting to the completion of their production obligations," the fact that it can still point to missing documents is "also suggestive of potentially broader issues in the production process."

Attorneys for Trump and Weisselberg did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on the letter.

Just as it has not accused Weisselberg of false testimony, the attorney general's office also has not alleged that anyone associated with the Trump Org, from individual defendants to its outside counsel, has willfully or recklessly contributed to the destruction of evidence. But in asking that retired federal judge Barbara Jones, the current monitor overseeing limited financial reporting and other Trump Org obligations, not only "undertake a forensic examination" of the Trump Org's electronic data for August to September 2016, but also diagnose what happened and "propose remedies," the attorney general is arming itself for a larger battle over truth, consequences and the future of the Trump Org before it or anyone else even determines what recourse, if any, Weisselberg warrants.

The document preservation and production issues the attorney general raised Thursday are considerably less sexy than accusations of false testimony. But could they be part and parcel of the same spectrum of misconduct among those who believe the rules do not apply and that malfeasance doesn't count unless you're caught? You bet. Keep watching this space, and I'll share more from this case.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Basically, Lol and LMAO

Just increasing levels of Trump is utterly hosed

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone part of Ye Gleet Flipping from Philly?

Flip-a-delphia writes itself at that point, I feel.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

SpeakSlow posted:

Is anyone part of Ye Gleet Flipping from Philly?

Flip-a-delphia writes itself at that point, I feel.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ems4nOpynYU?si=ujkEKEq_nQbMLiMB

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm looking forward to the LegalEagle run down of a lot of this stuff. It's hard to hold on to the throughlines for a noob, especially with so many different cases all at once.

lol

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mutata posted:

I'm looking forward to the LegalEagle run down of a lot of this stuff. It's hard to hold on to the throughlines for a noob, especially with so many different cases all at once.

lol

So many crimes!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

Many prosecutors are saying this.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

So many crimes!

I see you Evans.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mutata posted:

lol

An excellent resource is lawfare:

https://www.lawfaremedia.org/current-projects/the-trump-trials

Their legal analysis is pretty much top notch and includes multiple lawyers who practice or practiced at very high levels (prosecutors, counsel for major government orgs, even at least one former OLC member and a former WH Counsel) or are law professors and even their 'fake' lawyers are mostly people who have legal degrees and just don't practice. They do weekly podcasts that run down all the weeks happenings and maintain a calendar of upcoming trial dates.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/molcranenewman/status/1715373466067583474

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure about the source on this, but throwing it out anyways

https://themessenger.com/politics/trump-gag-order-blatant-violation-judge-engoron

quote:

Manhattan judge tore into former President Donald Trump on Friday for failing to delete a post attacking his clerk on his campaign page, weeks after the imposition of a gag order.

“I learned that the subject offending post was never removed from the donaldjtrump.com and in fact, has been on the website for the past 17 days,” New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron remarked from the bench, asking why Trump shouldn’t face “serious sanctions” for his "blatant violation of the gag order," such as fines or “possibly imprisoning him.”

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Kale posted:

How exactly does RWM go about spinning Powell flipping and admitting to the crimes. Either way the grift seems to be falling apart really fast this week and just not seeing where they recover frlm it all.
powell really really seems to be a true believer. i have no doubt her testimony will have a trump shaped hole in it. "did trump directly tell you to crime" "no" type stuff. in fact this whole trial will have a trump shaped hole in it, that's what rico is for.
but, if i had to guess, and i do, i think she's a direct link to rudy. like they have evidence of rudy saying "do crimes" to her, and possibly "trump loves when you do crimes". anyone else would be too "professional" to work with obvious loon powell.
but they have so much poo poo on rudy (he was always way too arrogant to really try to hide his scumbaggery,) she's basically a pinata stuffed with jail time for rudy. and it's rico.
the rightwing narrative will be eventually "trump was set up by his lawyers" and this is just another piece of that puzzle. trump didn't want to do crimes, there was never any evidence he said "do crimes". his lawyers concocted a scheme to do crimes and he was too innocent and trusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Messenger is extremely hit or miss depending on author and subject matter. Klasfeld has done a lot of solid work on the various Trump and Jan 6 legal proceedings, both for them and previously for Dan Abrams' clickbait rag.

As additional context, the judge demanded Kise apologize to his clerk and one of the NYAG lawyers yesterday after this reported exchange (Runyeon is an ex NYT guy, others including Klasfeld have independently corroborated at least the broad strokes)
https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1715082049495658807

That comes on the heels of oddly pissy exchanges during testimony on Wednesday that seemed over the top for what, the judge reminded them on a couple of occasions, is a bench trial where the shenanigans don't serve much purpose and the issue didn't seem that meaningful.