Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Night10194 posted:

I'm replaying an old polish strategy survival horror game. Gorky 17, as part of my own spooktober stuff. I've never seen anything quite like it since, and I love the dumb thing. A group of NATO commandos investigating a polish town that had an old Russian base nearby find it swarming with weird cybernetic mutants and you fight turn-based scripted battles with them as you creep around the town trying to find ammunition and baseball bats to get through it. Because in true survival horror tradition, of course they sent the three heroes in with like 12 bullets, a can of pie, and a knife to begin with.

I've never seen anything else that quite nails that sort of RE-style 'you both have enough ammo to kill everything but feel like you don't' atmosphere in a strategy game with light RPG elements before.

I tried playing this ages ago but found it just got too hard - the limited resources, the fact that you get better at stuff the more you do it so you need to specialize into weapons, no way to get stronger if a fight is kicking your butt. Maybe I just sucked at it, or was doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

woodenchicken posted:

I've been thinking about it myself a lot recently! Does it hold up.

I'm definitely still enjoying it. I've finished it before and I feel like it's kind of refreshing that it gets fairly brutal, as opposed to the usual reverse difficulty curve. I find using tranqs and the taser really essential to minimizing damage to save resources.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Gorky 17, just from the way it looks, reminded me of a long-forgotten game that I want to revisit: Abomination (1999) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination:_The_Nemesis_Project

Unfortunately, it isn't on GOG or anything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just looked up Gorky 17 and I might try it. It's cheap on Steam

Thanks for the suggestion

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The one thing is on modern systems there's a persistent bug with disappearing characters. I was able to fix it by setting the game's exe to run in Win 98 compatibility mode and telling it to use the software renderer, and now it runs fine on the steam version.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So with Switchback having a 30% discount at the moment, is that worth picking up, now that it's been patched?

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Kona II out now, since it was a topic a couple pages ago.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Lucca Blight posted:

Kona II out now, since it was a topic a couple pages ago.

Early Steam reviews seem to indicate that it's a major downgrade from the first game, exploration-wise. Also I found this:

A review from Techraptor posted:

For one thing, the game is now a first-person shooter. Combat was a rare and ill-advised option in the original Kona, with distractions like throwing meat at wolves providing more of a wide berth than being overcome with fear and missing your shots. In Kona II, however, Carl’s experience as a Vietnam war vet has turned the game’s combat into Cabela’s Big Game Hunter, with all manners of wild animals being no match for your buckshot.

Oh noooo. :yikes:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

https://youtu.be/pZzk-Fk07ug?si=KSIxyjs3lyzKQOA3

Lol. Lmao. This would probably be a fine and schlocky Until Dawn knockoff if they just didn’t call it Silent Hill.

It feels like they set out to make “a horror movie game,” rather than “a really hosed up scary game.” I’m not precious about what is Silent Hill and this implied apotheosis angle might be cool, but being stalked by a scary serial killer outside your house… doesn’t feel like it.

Note this isn't even really a "game". It's a web series with some amount of audience interaction. Of the new Silent Hill projects, it's the one I have the lowest expectations for, even less than Bloober's remake. I might watch a bit of it eventually, out of morbid curiosity, but not at launch. I've got so many better options for how to spend my Halloween.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Morpheus posted:

Third Birthday is not a "major drop of quality" from PE1, that would imply it has any level of quality at all, or in fact anything to do with the series aside from some names.

I am saying this as someone who wasn't even that much of a fan of PE1 aside from it having some curious mechanics. Third Birthday is just really garbage.

It has the distinction of being the only game I know off that has retcon'd a character into being a pedophile

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yuppie Psycho on sale for $6.71. Going to pick it up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Strawberry Panda posted:

Yuppie Psycho on sale for $6.71. Going to pick it up.

good price good choice

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Boy does the last area in Gorky 17 become a bastard of a place. You find crazy powerful energy weaponry, except most of the mutants are immune to it. And they're often immune to the taser or tranq gun. You have to rely on an LN2 sprayer to stun them temporarily, and if you set them on fire after using it they automatically unstun immediately.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

glitchwraith posted:

Note this isn't even really a "game". It's a web series with some amount of audience interaction. Of the new Silent Hill projects, it's the one I have the lowest expectations for, even less than Bloober's remake. I might watch a bit of it eventually, out of morbid curiosity, but not at launch. I've got so many better options for how to spend my Halloween.

I wouldn't mind it being whatever "interactive" web series they are doing but giving us yet another "I may have killed my loved one!" plot is certainly a choice

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If a Silent Hill game is going to be a barely interactive movie then it should go the Dragon's Lair route and just be a bunch of QTE rooms with 90% of the budget spent on fail sequences.

In other games with a lot of budget spent on death sequences, I finished The Callisto Protocol, and it was solidly OK for a game that I got "free" as part of my PS+ subscription. I think if you pay more than $20 for it then you will be angry, but it had pretty decent pacing and the core gameplay was solid enough that I was decently engaged for the ~8 hours or so, although the final fight was bad. It's also has some good technical visuals.

but

I have not played Dead Space Remake yet (gamepass later this month), and haven't played the original in a few years at least (and haven't beaten it in like a decade); the point is that Dead Space isn't particularly fresh in my mind, but Callisto clearly is trying to make me remember Dead Space. Callisto Protocol desperately wants to be Dead Space to its complete detriment, because the core gameplay, while fun enough if you invest in melee, is anti-scary, and the visuals, sound design, story, and many gameplay elements all feel like a weirdly polished but very obvious knock-off of Dead Space. There was clearly real talent in some of the elements - it sounds good, there are some very good visuals with strong art direction, gameplay... plays fine, again not scary though because of the melee - but all of that is completely wasted badly aping DS instead of making a different game that wasn't aping DS and putting that talent to better use. Hell, it probably would have been better if they copied DS even harder because at least then you get closer to the much better DS.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

The thing that makes me want to play Callisto Protocol the least is that I have to play as Josh Duhamel.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I wouldn't mind it being whatever "interactive" web series they are doing but giving us yet another "I may have killed my loved one!" plot is certainly a choice

I love silent hill 2 but god drat did it ruin the franchise forever by being good and thus ensuring everyone forever more would just copy its various iconic bits.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I just finished The Excavation of Hob's Barrow. It was quite enjoyable and I only found a couple of bumps along the way but that was more me not seeing things I could pick up. I really appreciated the Colour blind friendly text option.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Me when I'm a silent hill character and I can't stop killing my loved ones

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Me when I'm a silent hill character horror game protagonist and I can't stop killing my loved ones

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Holding votes to determine what the next FMV scene is for cowards. They should have dropped actors into a town and let people Twitch Plays Pokémon them around.

"I forgive you husband, for killing m- hey can you stop walking into a wall real quick"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Re-finished Gorky 17. The last area is kind of a bastard of weird exposition and mandatory betrayal, all your stun equipment stops working, and the actual ending is kind of nonsense to set up a sequel that never happened.

But still, the game itself is really fun. Fighting weird cyber-horrors in turn based resource conservation combat is an approach you just don't see often in survival horror, and I like all the battles being scripted. You have X problems, you need to solve them using Y resources is a good formula for survival horror.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuebot posted:

I love silent hill 2 but god drat did it ruin the franchise forever by being good and thus ensuring everyone forever more would just copy its various iconic bits.

It didn't just ruin the franchise, its had a large negative impact on the whole genre due to all the imitators. But at least its not bad as PT, which turned looping hallway into an entire genre of game.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The high fidelity found footage game of you looking for your dog (that isn't lost in vivo) isn't out yet but if it is a hit I think we can see what kind of horror games we will get in the 5 years after that

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The high fidelity found footage game of you looking for your dog (that isn't lost in vivo) isn't out yet but if it is a hit I think we can see what kind of horror games we will get in the 5 years after that

A generation of games where depending on the ending, it turns out you killed your dog, lost your dog in a looping corridor, or watched your dog get bitcrushed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 19, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Remember in Silent Hill 3 where they took an different approach to personal horror and made an entire game about bodily autonomy and fear of personal violation? No, you don't? Just 'no James you are the murderer' forever then

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

they tried with some serial killers mom is an apartment but it didnt stick

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Speaking of SH2 I just finished my spooky month replay of it and just want to say there is no way that Bloober will make me feel half of what I feel during the letter during the Leave ending. I like SH3 the most because Heather rules but SH2 is such a great game even though the most incurious people seem to think it's the only type of story that can be told in horror.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No Dignity posted:

Remember in Silent Hill 3 where they took an different approach to personal horror and made an entire game about bodily autonomy and fear of personal violation? No, you don't? Just 'no James you are the murderer' forever then

tbf I'm very glad that horror game devs decided not to make that a trend. there's a lot that can go wrong with a hack at the wheel of a game about those particular subjects.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf I'm very glad that horror game devs decided not to make that a trend. there's a lot that can go wrong with a hack at the wheel of a game about those particular subjects.

True, it was more meant as in there's lots of ways you can use horror to externalise psychology, you don't need to always to go back to repressed murder-guilt

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DreadX is doing an indie horror showcase in about an hour. Hoping to see some cool stuff there, i really like the DreadX collections

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I played through Faith. That was really good, I don’t think I got the full scope of the story (didn’t get all notes, didn’t do all the secret stuff) but still it was awesome

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Evil Within is free on the Epic store if y'all want some bad action horror schlock third-person shooter

I really didn't like Evil Within, but I've gathered I'm in the minority

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Evil Within 2 is a ton of fun but i never played the first one

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

A lot of the first one is great and then there's a lot of really frustrating parts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TEW 1 is a mess but it's a glorious insane mess that should be experienced as long as you can stand playing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'll grab it when I'm on my computer later. I don't expect to actually play through it all, but I've been curious about it as a Resident Evil 4 successor for a long time without ever actually checking it out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its the dark souls of RE games in a sense that it really wants to kill you but once you learn its tricks its not actually that bad imo.

It also looks really cool. Good monster and environment design

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2023

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
TEW1 is so bad it made me reconsider Shinji Mikami as a game designer. Actually baffled so much of that game got through any kind of quality control. Possibly the worst character animation in a modern AAA game, Sebastian looks, feels, and controls horribly. There's one part in particular where there's a shot for shot call back to the zombie head turn in RE1, a sequence that Mikami didn't come up with (totally different guy designed the main characters, story, weapons, and puzzles).

I hate it!

But it's still worth playing because it's very imaginative and Inception + Resident Evil is a really fascinating combo.

TEW2 is safer, but absolutely smokes the first game in terms of fun factor and playability and it's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
World of Horror is officially out and 25% off on Steam