Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Under Siege is fun, and without it we probably wouldn't have The Fugitive as we know it (Harrison Ford was impressed enough with it that he recommended Andrew Davis as director, and Davis in turn brought Tommy Lee Jones on board)

edit: oh hey, forgot Davis did Above The Law too, i remember that being probably the best Seagal vehicle

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Under Siege is fun, and without it we probably wouldn't have The Fugitive as we know it (Harrison Ford was impressed enough with it that he recommended Andrew Davis as director, and Davis in turn brought Tommy Lee Jones on board)

edit: oh hey, forgot Davis did Above The Law too, i remember that being probably the best Seagal vehicle

Oh, Under Siege is absolutely a lot of fun- I mean, where else do you get Garey Busey in drag saying the line "Do I look like I need a psychological evaluation?"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I only just recently saw Under Siege for the first time after watching The Fugitive for the 96864th time and reading that above fact. The stripper/lady sidekick character is horribly written and Seagal is Seagal but Tommy Lee Jones is having an absolute blast in the role which made it pretty entertaining for me. I didn't know Everett McGill was the baddie in the sequel, I'll probably have to watch that now too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Everyone mentions the bad cg in ex 4 so I thought I'd look at a youtube clip.

Whenever they do the closeup looks awful.

This just looks like its taken from The Room rooftop set.

I wanted that 2nd gif to be long enough to see Megan just chilling in the super fast choppy boat just casually standing, but I could only do 10 seconds. :argh:

Ok you made me go search for some gifs because I'm too lazy to make them myself. Couldnt' find any of the stunts but there are some of the cool fights from Line of Duty:

Seems like they just went to shoot on a roof/the dock :thunk:

A bunch more from that fight here https://comfortfoodcontent.tumblr.com/post/685365789451321344/fuforthought-in-the-line-of-duty-4-1989

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 18, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

How the hell

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

lmao this is some Fireman Sam-rear end looking bullshit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Exp4andibles could have a whole video on how clumsy it is. Even cool moves executed by top notch stunt performers are undercut by poor editing and cinematogrpahy. It's tragic how much talent is on screen contrasted with how mediocre the results are.

If you want a sense of the minds behind it, they make up for the loss of Terry Crews by giving Randy Couture more dialogue, a man creepy and uncharismatic by the standards of UFC fighters.

trevorreznik posted:

How the hell

In The Line of Duty 4 has an absurdly absurd number of fight scenes. Seriously, there are so many, most of them barely connected to the plot if at all. It's one of the worst films i've seen except for the fight scenes which are, of course, top notch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Is that real.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Which Seagal flick has the cue ball + bar towel = beatdown fight scene because I love it?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

brocked posted:

Which Seagal flick has the cue ball + bar towel = beatdown fight scene because I love it?

That’s Out For Justice in which Gino Felino is determined to find out why Richie Madano did Bobby Lupoooooo!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao this is some Fireman Sam-rear end looking bullshit.

C'MON!

STAAAY LOOOW!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lol

I can't quite tell how big that boat is supposed to be but something about the scale of the details makes her look enormous

Like on the DVD commentary she'd be like, "Yeah, so one day on the set of Transformers, Optimus showed a bunch of us how to be twelve feet tall and gyro-stabilized, and that's what I'm doing here."

"He made us swear never to tell Shia. They did NOT get along."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A modern Seagal movie did give us this incredible clip which shall evermore live rent-free in my mind. It is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evd5aWcg0Hc

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This is just the set from Kevin Kline's Pirates of Penzance.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’d think that those movies would be easy layups but they end up loving them up every time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

You’d think that those movies would be easy layups but they end up loving them up every time.

It's an aesthetic/design problem the way I see it. If your over the top action movie is gonna be a greenscreen fest because of budget concerns, you need to lean into that. Take the movie to some colorful settings, give the audience some fun stuff to look at on those greenscreens instead of just drab browns and grays. The whole aesthetic of The Expendables movies holds the series back from being a lot more entertaining than it is. I'm not sure why Stallone seems to think that's the look that signifies a classic 80s action throwback, which I thought is what The Expendables is supposed to be.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Basebf555 posted:

It's an aesthetic/design problem the way I see it. If your over the top action movie is gonna be a greenscreen fest because of budget concerns, you need to lean into that. Take the movie to some colorful settings, give the audience some fun stuff to look at on those greenscreens instead of just drab browns and grays. The whole aesthetic of The Expendables movies holds the series back from being a lot more entertaining than it is. I'm not sure why Stallone seems to think that's the look that signifies a classic 80s action throwback, which I thought is what The Expendables is supposed to be.

They should just lean into it and go the Bunraku/Sucker Punch route

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean a lot of 80s action movies had no budget and we’re based in a building/LA. I just think Stallone probably has too much control and he’s not exactly a good writer/director.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean a lot of 80s action movies had no budget and we’re based in a building/LA. I just think Stallone probably has too much control and he’s not exactly a good writer/director.

You should probably put "any more" at the end of that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also probably worth pointing out that Stallone didn't direct or write Expendables 4. I'm sure it was his baby in most ways but he hasn't been behind the camera since the first one

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 19, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d be shocked if he didn’t have a lot of control over them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jimbot posted:

A modern Seagal movie did give us this incredible clip which shall evermore live rent-free in my mind. It is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evd5aWcg0Hc

Please tell me this is unedited. There’s like eleven shots of him flying through the window.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MrMojok posted:

Please tell me this is unedited. There’s like eleven shots of him flying through the window.

It is very real and I'm pretty sure there's another scene in the movie that's a similar editing nightmare because it's clearly the villain fighting a stunt double with separate Seagal reaction shots cut into it. The same reaction shots, multiple times. Sometimes reversed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1714400870320718094?s=20

Watched this the other day it slaps

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm showing my children various classic 80s and 90s action films.

Today's film was con air and I have several observations. The film is actually very funny when i wants to be. I didn't realise dave chappelle was in in it despite watching it several times before. The theme music is epic and nic cage is ripped as gently caress.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

In the Line of Duty 4 stuff

Man, this is probably my all time fav HK action movie. It has such a great pace and all the fights range from really good to really drat great. Donny is so fun to watch and Khan is of course an absolute badass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lupin. So hot right now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I love the part in Equilibrium where the police come to get the wife. Bale immediately destroys them while being in his drat pjs. Really sold that clerics were so dangerous even without a gun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Seemlar posted:

It is very real and I'm pretty sure there's another scene in the movie that's a similar editing nightmare because it's clearly the villain fighting a stunt double with separate Seagal reaction shots cut into it. The same reaction shots, multiple times. Sometimes reversed.

My favorite thing about it how the guy issues three completely different yells each time they show the shot of him flying out

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm watching Expend4bles and it is absolutely dire

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Seemlar posted:

Is that the movie where you can see the stunt double chilling in the background during Seagal's reaction shots?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

I'm watching Expend4bles and it is absolutely dire

I'm impressed to the degree it's completely washed out of my mind less than three days after I watched it. I can't remember more than a couple of shots, and I only remember them because I thought, at the time, that they could have been done better and started thinking about what could have been done instead.

Grendels Dad posted:

Is that the movie where you can see the stunt double chilling in the background during Seagal's reaction shots?

There's one where they used a stunt double for Seagal walking out of a building, standing in the street and staring right at the camera.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm impressed to the degree it's completely washed out of my mind less than three days after I watched it. I can't remember more than a couple of shots, and I only remember them because I thought, at the time, that they could have been done better and started thinking about what could have been done instead.

There's one where they used a stunt double for Seagal walking out of a building, standing in the street and staring right at the camera.

Maybe from Cartels or A Good Man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZOIeq5CBOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebgR2tFf4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

trevorreznik posted:

How the hell
He's just that good :colbert:

Snowman_McK posted:

In The Line of Duty 4 has an absurdly absurd number of fight scenes. Seriously, there are so many, most of them barely connected to the plot if at all. It's one of the worst films i've seen except for the fight scenes which are, of course, top notch.
Yeah the rest of the plot is kind of nonsense about drugs and CIA and whatever but it's pretty watchable I thought, and the fights are great of course.

thatfuturekid posted:

Man, this is probably my all time fav HK action movie. It has such a great pace and all the fights range from really good to really drat great. Donny is so fun to watch and Khan is of course an absolute badass.
It's kind of crazy considering this is the 4th movie in the series (which is barely related anyway) and doesn't seem to get much attention. I don't think I've ever heard of it before randomly coming across it on IMDB or something, even when Yes Madam comes up for example.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Truly great martial arts require two. Watching someone, no matter how talented, style on people miles below him does eventually get stale. It stops feeling like a fight and just like they're running up the score. Jackie Chan and the Raid guys understood this, where even random mooks would show a hint of skill, throwing a cool kick or punch before being countered in a cool way and kicked out a window. One of the coolest little bits in the Raid is the drug lab henchman who can actually stand with Iko and trades an extremely sick combination of punches before being taken out.

Seagal could never do this. Every one of the 8 million henchmen he's beaten up has come at him with the same weird extremely telegraphed strikes he trained against in Aikido.

Reminds me of the bit from Who Am I where Jackie Chan fights a takewendo and more general karate dude. I had so much fun watching them do their thing and wondering how Jackie was gonna beat them (the answer is desperately and incredibly).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Snowman_McK posted:

Truly great martial arts require two. Watching someone, no matter how talented, style on people miles below him does eventually get stale. It stops feeling like a fight and just like they're running up the score. Jackie Chan and the Raid guys understood this, where even random mooks would show a hint of skill, throwing a cool kick or punch before being countered in a cool way and kicked out a window. One of the coolest little bits in the Raid is the drug lab henchman who can actually stand with Iko and trades an extremely sick combination of punches before being taken out.

Seagal could never do this. Every one of the 8 million henchmen he's beaten up has come at him with the same weird extremely telegraphed strikes he trained against in Aikido.

Hell even in loving Road House Swayze gets the poo poo kicked out of him before overcoming the odds and NOT getting hosed like those poor prisoners

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Stallone, happy Rambo day everyone (which was two days ago)!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

You ever think about how good a series of Rambo films could have been if they'd bothered to feel like the same universe as the first film? I showed Rambo 2 to a friend a couple of years ago and, seeing it through fresh eyes it's...simply not very good. It's not that it's silly, it's that it's just not very well made most of the time. Most of the action is bland and what isn't tends to be clumsily executed, there's very few good lines of dialogue and, most jarringly of all, no one in the movie knows how to stand or walk. Except Steven Berkoff of course. Everyone else just looks...weird on camera. They'd been told about humans and how they moved, but had never seen one before.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy hell. I just watched First Blood again 2 days ago and didn't even know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mobby_6kl posted:

If you're going to have a poster with two horizons, the one with the trees should be below the one with the mountain.