Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lucasar posted:

Nothing of value to add but I enormously enjoyed that there is a sitting congressperson named "Marianette."

Who's pulling her strings?

Gerry Anderson's US Congress in SuperMarianation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Following their bankruptcy announcement last week, Rite-Aid has announced that they will be closing 150 store locations (about 7% of all their stores) and may announce additional closures later this year. This is on top of the 10% of stores they closed earlier this year - which totals to roughly 16% of total Rite-Aid locations closing this year.

The closures are in 15 different states, but the vast majority of the stores that are being closed are in California, New York, and Pennsylvania.

They also replaced their CEO and most of their board. They say that their goal with the bankruptcy procedures is to attempt to navigate the lawsuits and declining profits (primarily from other pharmacy chains and Wal-Mart stealing their business) in an attempt to get a smaller version of the company on solid financial footing.

If that fails, then they will likely look for a buyer to bail them out. The most obvious candidate (Wal-Greens) might have issues attempting to buy them out because there were previous anti-trust issues when they tried to merge before. If they can't find a buyer, then they will likely liquidate the company to pay their debts/lawsuits by selling individual stores and assets to various buyers.

quote:

Rite Aid closing 154 stores in 15 states

Rite Aid Corp., which recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, plans to shutter 154 stores as part of its financial restructuring effort.

The closures will occur in 15 states across the nation as part of the voluntary bankruptcy process. However, Pennsylvania, California and New York will get hit the hardest with 39, 32 and 20 closures, respectively, according to court documents filed in bankruptcy court.

The company – the third-largest pharmacy chain in the U.S. — was already closing stores long before officially seeking protection in bankruptcy court on Sunday. In the year ending on Sept. 30, 2023, the company closed approximately 210 stores, leaving it with a total of 2,100 operating stores.

On the same day the company officially filed for protection, it simultaneously appointed a new leadership team as it tries to resolve lawsuits alleging that the company helped fuel the opioid crisis. Its rivals are also facing similar accusations over their part in the epidemic.

Rite Aid said it initiated the voluntary court-supervised bankruptcy process with goals of reducing its debt load, increasing financial flexibility and executing "on key initiatives." This includes the potential sale of Elixir Solutions, an acceleration in determining the best path forward for some of its stores and the resolve of legal disputes in "an equitable manner."

The company pulled in Jeffrey Stein to lead the company as it seeks to make a comeback from several years of declining sales and legal issues.

According to The Associated Press, Rite Aid settled several suits related to the opioid crisis. One of them was with the state of West Virginia last year.

Aside from its financial and legal troubles, Rite Aid is facing steep competition from other heavy hitters in the space that are ramping up investments with healthcare offerings.

For instance, Walmart plans to open 28 new Health center locations next year. This move will help expand the company's healthcare footprint into Missouri and Arizona for the first time,

By the end of the 2024, there will be over 75 Walmart Health centers across the United States.

Walgreens has also been tying to further its footprint in healthcare. It recently brought in Ginger Graham, current lead independent director of Walgreens Boots Alliance, to serve as its interim CEO while the company conducts a search for Roz Brewer's permanent replacement.

Graham held leadership positions across the health care industry for nearly three decades including serving as the former CEO of Amylin Pharmaceuticals. Prior to this transition, Brewer helped the company's growth into health care, including overseeing three strategic acquisitions to expand and accelerate its consumer-centric health care offerings, Walgreens said.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/rite-aid-closing-154-stores-15-states-list

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jordan throwing in the towel for now.

The new plan is pushing for Patrick McHenry to be named interim Speaker until January where they can try voting for a permanent Speaker again.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715021061463367762

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's very on brand for Jordan to believe that just not looking at the problem for two months will fix it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jordan throwing in the towel for now.

The new plan is pushing for Patrick McHenry to be named interim Speaker until January where they can try voting for a permanent Speaker again.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715021061463367762

Why not just make him the actual speaker then?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens now? The House just shuts down for two and a half months?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

Now they hold a vote to see if a majority is willing to confirm McHenry as the permanent acting Speaker. If they do, then based on what was said earlier ITT, the House mostly returns to normal, unless there's a need to invoke the line of succession

If McHenry can't get a majority, the clown show continues

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lol that the 'compromise' to get things running again is an even weaker speaker than McCarthy.

Randalor posted:

Theoretically it operates just fine. But I don't see how they're gonna pass any legislation or budgets without simply surrendering to the fascist caucus; they've proven totally unwilling to reign them in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
*shrug* What was a Republican speaker going to accomplish anyway? Order up more not-impeachments for Fox sound bites, then furiously poo poo their pants at everyone else and refuse to pass legislation? Only loss from what I see is not having the Republicans clown car-ing around honking at each other in rage for all the world to see them as the bumbling incompetents and proto-fascists they are.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bird food bathtub posted:

*shrug* What was a Republican speaker going to accomplish anyway? Order up more not-impeachments for Fox sound bites, then furiously poo poo their pants at everyone else and refuse to pass legislation? Only loss from what I see is not having the Republicans clown car-ing around honking at each other in rage for all the world to see them as the bumbling incompetents and proto-fascists they are.

The actual big thing is keeping the CRs going so the government doesn’t shut down. The crazies also want to keep impeachment stuff going.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

No, it should operate "normally" with a temporary Speaker.

Most likely, they will start back up committee work (i.e. impeachment hearings) and then have to figure out what to do with the budget in a month. They will probably have each of the House committees put out their own spending bills for their respective areas, put them together into a budget resolution, try to find a way to agree on that budget resolution, and then use that as a starting point to negotiate with the Senate and White House.

McCarthy's deal is dead and nobody has any incentive to follow it, so the potential outcomes are:

1) Go with some form of the Senate compromise budget (no nominal cuts, but effective cuts by capping spending growth so it grows slower than inflation with higher caps than McCarthy's deal + more defense spending).

2) Just pass more continuing resolutions funding the government at current levels for X days.

3) House passes the HFC budget with cuts deeper than McCarthy's deal (i.e. actual substantive nominal cuts to domestic spending) and immigration changes. Some compromise bill is worked out that is worse than McCarthy's original deal to prevent a shutdown.

4) House passes the HFC budget with cuts deeper than McCarthy's deal (i.e. actual substantive nominal cuts to domestic spending) and immigration changes. The Senate rejects it, no compromise bill is reached that can pass the House, and the government shuts down the week before Thanksgiving.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Finally, Hunter Biden will face justice for his crimes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

Finally, Hunter Biden will face justice for his crimes.

Crime of what? Unleashing a 30-50cm feral hog upon the world?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Icon Of Sin posted:

His greatest crime- being a MILF hunter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Icon Of Sin posted:

Actual crimes?

Lying on a federal firearm form by checking the box that says "I affirm that I have not used or am addicted to illegal drugs" on the federal background check form when he bought a handgun in 2018.

Claimed crimes by House Republicans?

Running an international influence ring on behalf of Joe Biden (including using his control over the Department of Justice during the Trump Presidency to target his enemies and protect himself) to sell out America to China, Russia, and Russian-aligned Oligarchs in Kazakhstan.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1715030474635071841

It seems highly unlikely that many Ds will support this without at least some concessions, I would expect that the chaos will go on for at least a little while longer

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jeffries was just asked about the potential acting Speaker vote on CNN.

- Said he hasn't spoken to anyone about it on the Republican side.

- Will speak to the Dem caucus to gauge support.

- Needs to hammer out details, but his two red lines are:

1) It has to be someone who did not claim the 2020 election was stolen.
2) They have to commit to passing a budget that has the same level or higher domestic spending totals as the McCarthy debt ceiling deal.

He has other asks, but says those two are the only non-negotiable requirements to get official support from the Dem caucus.

He wants to pitch a "grand bargain" budget with increased domestic spending, increased defense spending, aid to Israel, aid to Ukraine, money for processing and housing asylum seekers on the border, more immigration judges, and more money for disaster aid in the U.S. for Hawaii and places impacted by recent floods that funds the government until after the 2024 elections.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 19, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Actual crimes?

Lying on a federal firearm form by checking the box that says "I affirm that I have not used or am addicted to illegal drugs" on the federal background check form when he bought a handgun in 2018.

Claimed crimes by House Republicans?

Running an international influence ring on behalf of Joe Biden (including using his control over the Department of Justice during the Trump Presidency to target his enemies and protect himself) to sell out America to China, Russia, and Russian-aligned Oligarchs in Kazakhstan.

That charge got dismissed.

https://apnews.com/article/hunter-biden-gun-charge-dismiss-prosecutor-indictment-e175a915f76f5ef4f14783be4afc93a6#:~:text=WASHINGTON%20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That is the gun possession charge. Those were two separate gun charges, but only one got dropped.

One was possessing a gun while being a prohibited person (drug user) that was dropped.

The other is lying on a federal firearm form for checking the box claiming he had never used drugs or been addicted to drugs when buying the gun. That one is still being prosecuted and he has been indicted for it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

2) They have to commit to passing a budget that has the same level or higher domestic spending totals as the McCarthy debt ceiling deal.

These two seem like way bigger asks than they look like on paper. And tailored to pull only the "moderate" Republicans while alienating the lunatics right from the start.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

- Said he hasn't spoken to anyone about it on the Republican side.

- Will speak to the Dem caucus to gauge support.

He has other asks, but says those two are the only non-negotiable requirements to get official support from the Dem caucus.

He wants to pitch a "grand bargain" budget with increased domestic spending, increased defense spending, aid to Israel, aid to Ukraine, money for processing and housing asylum seekers on the border, more immigration judges, and more money for disaster aid in the U.S. for Hawaii and places impacted by recent floods that funds the government until after the 2024 elections.

The “bargain” looks to be full of non-starters for the GOP but good luck to him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The “bargain” looks to be full of non-starters for the GOP but good luck to him.

Yeah, his "grand bargain" idea isn't going anywhere as is. It's almost certainly just his negotiating wishlist.

Several House Republicans do want more defense spending than the McCarthy deal, more money for the border (but, they don't want it for immigration judges and processing), aid to Israel, aid to Ukraine (some of them), and the NY Republican delegation has been asking for more federal support for the recent floods.

There's definitely some things there that some Republicans want, but the increased domestic spending, immigration stuff, and Ukraine are probably enough to kill it before it even starts.

I think this temporary speaker situation suffers from the same thing as the previous attempts at a "bipartisan Speaker" earlier - no Republican is going to negotiate a deal that involves giving anything to the Democrats. They will either come together and get it over the hump with Republican votes only or the vote will collapse just like every Speaker vote has for the last two weeks.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Also he has a decent shot of getting the case dismissed, as the Supreme Court has made prohibitions against owning a gun so hosed right now.

The Supreme Court made basically all prohibitions of owning a gun that wasn't around during the 1790s unconsitutional, and this term there is a case where someone who had domestic violence charges against him prohibiting him from owning a gun saying that law was unconstituional. So that *may* be walked back a little, but "owning a gun because addicted to drugs" might still fly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twincityhacker posted:

Also he has a decent shot of getting the case dismissed, as the Supreme Court has made prohibitions against owning a gun so hosed right now.

The Supreme Court made basically all prohibitions of owning a gun that wasn't around during the 1790s unconsitutional, and this term there is a case where someone who had domestic violence charges against him prohibiting him from owning a gun saying that law was unconstituional. So that *may* be walked back a little, but "owning a gun because addicted to drugs" might still fly.
Yes I feel like people greatly underestimated how hosed that gun decision was a few years ago. It’s completely insane and makes absolutely no sense. It’s also being used as a template for challenges to other laws that Republicans don’t like.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah the question at this point isn’t “can they deny a gun permit based on this question,” it’s “even though this question can’t legally be used to deny a gun permit is it still a crime to lie about it on a federal form.” Feds have a tough row to hoe on that one.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I wonder if the Dems will gently caress with this a bit more by voting against McHenry. The more House chaos in the short term the better for them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I seems all but certain that they'll vote against McHenry. Why wouldn't they? Especially if he's actually doing worse than Jordan among the Republicans.

The only way the Democrats are giving any votes to someone other than Jeffries right now is if some sort of deal is made.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Democrats have no incentive to rescue Republicans. They're in the find out phase of courting political extremists and it's destroyed the ambitions of three leading legislators in the past month.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Following their bankruptcy announcement last week, Rite-Aid has announced that they will be closing 150 store locations (about 7% of all their stores) and may announce additional closures later this year. This is on top of the 10% of stores they closed earlier this year - which totals to roughly 16% of total Rite-Aid locations closing this year.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/rite-aid-closing-154-stores-15-states-list

Gonna piggyback off this, as the issue of retail theft has been bothering me for some time. Something i saw a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1709290824377250028

Shrink as a % of net sales for Lowes has almost doubled since 2013.

I see a lot of stupid posts on places like reddit and other forums (sometimes this one) about how retail theft is no big deal. It actually is a huge deal, especially when it comes to retail theft for basic necessities (i.e. groceries). People don't seem to understand how small profit margins are. For example, net profit margins for grocery stores are about 1-3%. If you take a grocery store with 2% margin, every time $1 is stolen, you need $50 of sales to cover that theft. I'm sure some people here have seen meat being locked up at their grocery store recently if they live in a high crime area... So if someone steals like $500 worth of meat, the store will need to make $25,000 in sales to cover that theft. Imagine having that happen multiple times a day at any given store. So now you have a situation in high theft cities like Chicago, SF, DC, etc. where grocery stores are closing (or threatening to close) due to having these thefts put these particular stores in the red, and underserved communities are suffering as a result. These chains have really efficient supply chains that mom and pop bodegas can't match and give their communities far more affordable food than would otherwise be available. And of course jobs are lost when these grocery chains close. And no, insurance usually doesn't cover this, and even if it did, insurance companies aren't unlimited wells of money and your premiums would skyrocket if they did.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 19, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mister Fister posted:

if someone steals like $500 worth of meat, the store will need to make $25,000 in sales to cover that theft.

:thunk:

I'm no math expert but this is absurd.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mister Fister posted:

Gonna piggyback off this, as the issue of retail theft has been bothering me for some time. Something i saw a little while ago:

https://twitter.com/SwannMarcus89/status/1709290824377250028

Shrink as a % of net sales for Lowes has almost doubled since 2013.

I see a lot of stupid posts on places like reddit and other forums (sometimes this one) about how retail theft is no big deal. It actually is a huge deal, especially when it comes to retail theft for basic necessities (i.e. groceries). People don't seem to understand how small profit margins are. For example, net profit margins for grocery stores are about 1-3%. If you take a grocery store with 2% margin, every time $1 is stolen, you need $50 of sales to cover that theft. I'm sure some people here have seen meat being locked up at their grocery store recently if they live in a high crime area... So if someone steals like $500 worth of meat, the store will need to make $25,000 in sales to cover that theft. Imagine having that happen multiple times a day at any given store. So now you have a situation in high theft cities like Chicago, SF, DC, etc. where grocery stores are closing (or threatening to close) due to having these thefts put these particular stores in the red, and underserved communities are suffering as a result. These chains have really efficient supply chains that mom and pop bodegas can't match and give their communities far more affordable food than would otherwise be available. And of course jobs are lost when these grocery chains close. And no, insurance usually doesn't cover this, and even if it did, insurance companies aren't unlimited wells of money and your premiums would skyrocket if they did.

I think your overall point is probably valid and using arrest figures to estimate shoplifting costs is an iffy metric that undercounts the actual cost to the business. The fact that the costs for theft doubled for Lowe's in the last 10 years means it is likely the case that it applies to other stores as well, but is there more data on that to prove the theory? The tweet link just looks at Lowe's specifically. It strongly suggests that is the case for other stores, but doesn't actually prove that.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:thunk:

I'm no math expert but this is absurd.

$25,000 * 2% = $500 (the other $24,500 would cover cost of goods sold + overhead like SG&A).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm supposed to imagine a store having 25k of meat stolen multiple times a day?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm supposed to imagine a store having 25k of meat stolen multiple times a day?

$500 of meat is stolen, you need to sell $25,000 worth of goods to cover the loss.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm not buying that napkin math; profit margins aren't a set-in-stone attribute that you can then do arithmetic at using the MSRP of a product. An individual item that is lost is not guaranteed to be sold at the price point, for one- Halloween Candy prices at October 30th is not the price on Nov 1st.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The shoplifting epidemic is exaggerated and shrink can be because of other causes and is not necessarily an indicator of rising shoplifting.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mister Fister posted:

$500 of meat is stolen, you need to sell $25,000 worth of goods to cover the loss.

No they need to cover the cost of the meat

You're baking in expected profit from the meat, and saying they have to sell 25K to make up those lost profits, but that's absolutely absurd. The only actual loss to the company is the cost of the meat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I will add the the plight of the poor mega-corps and their shrinking bottom line to the list of issues to get up in arms at. Looking at the priority list, it's right above fixing all the potholes I drove over last year when visiting the other side of the country.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Gerund posted:

I'm not buying that napkin math; profit margins aren't a set-in-stone attribute that you can then do arithmetic at using the MSRP of a product. An individual item that is lost is not guaranteed to be sold at the price point, for one- Halloween Candy prices at October 30th is not the price on Nov 1st.

The 1-3% profit margin is average for all goods sold. Obviously, some goods have higher margins and some goods have lower ones. The margin on any particular good is not really something that's relevant. Pretend i didn't say 'meat', and just said 'random goods'.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The shoplifting epidemic is exaggerated and shrink can be because of other causes and is not necessarily an indicator of rising shoplifting.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

It's localized. In my city, which is a very low crime city, nothing is locked up at my CVS or supermarket. Because they don't expect much theft. In places like DC, Oakland, SF? Do you think chains would want to close if they didn't have to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

okay average national cost of 100% ground beef (for example) is 4.80/pound, per quick google search.

So multiple times a day people are coming in to grocery stores and stealing 100 lbs of beef from the display shelf?

Is this actually an advertisement for a photoshop friday thread or something?