Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

WrasslorMonkey posted:

lol ChatGPT has better grammar and punctuation.

[Pestilence] Drugged by the police is especially Bull****

Sure, I was mainly thinking of the freeform "logic" and the wild oscillation in conviction by the qualifiers. "I feel", "I prefer", "most of" etc. are very tepid for an insane ramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Sure, let's do a strategy premised on 2 months from new variant to variant specific vaccine instead. That will surely not fail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...4363_story.html posted:

The CDC’s Covid Booster Strategy Is Failing
(..)
In such a worst-case scenario, a quickly deployed variant-specific booster campaign would save more lives than an annual fall shot. “If [a variant] … has higher virulence or has mutated in a way that completely circumvents our immune responses, you want to have a system ready where you can respond right away,” Krammer told me. “In that case, you don’t want to wait for the next annual update.”

Technologically, he said, it’s possible to create a new mRNA vaccine in two months. Omicron led to massive waves of illness when it ambushed the world near the end of 2021. “An omicron-specific vaccine in January [2022] would have benefitted a lot of people,” he said. Instead, we got a bivalent vaccine in September, aimed at an omicron sub-variant that was by then on the wane.

In the absence of a dangerous new variant, an annual shot for everyone is a bit of a waste.
(..)

Archived link: https://archive.li/g0awV

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Also yes, the strategy as it stands is a miserable failure:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/18/health/covid-vaccine-awareness-campaigns/index.html posted:

With education funding cut and trouble tracking doses, experts see scattered Covid-19 vaccine rollout ahead of winter season

Less than 3% of the US population — about 8 million Americans — have gotten an updated Covid-19 vaccine since their approval in mid-September, according to the latest numbers from the US Department of Health and Human Services.

The slow penetration of the new vaccines — which lower a person’s risk of hospitalization, death and long Covid — comes at a time when funding for public education around the updated shots has been slashed.

This summer, as a result of budget negotiations between the White House and Republicans in Congress, HHS lost $150 million that had been allocated to a public education campaign that put ads on TV, websites and radio, in newspapers and outdoors in places like bus stops to increase awareness of the need for vaccination. The effort was also conducting research on drivers of vaccine confidence and vaccine hesitancy in different groups.
(..)
The reasons for this year’s slow rollout aren’t entirely clear. Spotty supply and insurance snafus created hurdles for many who tried to get vaccinated during the first few weeks the shots were available. But experts say there’s another, perhaps less appreciated issue: communication.

A lack of public education funds
(..)
Based on his recent conversations, Hotez said that even doctors and other more educated people are confused about the need for annual Covid-19 vaccines.

“They don’t quite understand what this new booster is about,” he said. “They don’t even understand that it’s specifically targeted for currently circulating variants.”

There’s also a lot of confusion about the need to keep topping off our immunity against Covid, Hotez said.

“There’s kind of that buzz out there that you’re already protected against hospitalization and severe illness through previous immunizations, which I don’t think is true, but that’s a common belief or misunderstanding,” he said.

The general public doesn’t seem to understand that immunity against Covid-19 wanes and that even previously vaccinated people can see their risk for severe disease and hospitalization rise over time.

He said people also don’t seem to be aware that vaccination cuts the risk for long Covid and protects pregnant women and their newborns, who are especially vulnerable in their first six months of life because they are too young to be vaccinated.
(..)

However, I don't think funneling more money to the people whom have been in charge of spreading the misinformation Hotez notes, is going to help matters.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A couple of unconnected news items that should surprise no one:
"COVID-19 infection associated with increased risk of developing Guillain-Barré syndrome"

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20231018/COVID-19-infection-associated-with-increased-risk-of-developing-Guillain-Barre-syndrome.aspx posted:

(..)
Researchers determined that people with a recent COVID infection were six times more likely to develop Guillain-Barré than those without a recent infection. A total of 12% of the people with Guillain-Barré had a recent COVID infection, compared to 2% of the people who did not have Guillain-Barré.

In addition, 11% of those with Guillain-Barré had a recent vaccination with a mRNA vaccine, compared to 18% of those who did not have Guillain-Barré.

They also found that people with a recent mRNA vaccination were more than 50% less likely to develop Guillain-Barré than those without a recent mRNA vaccination.
(..)

"People with HIV have increased risk of COVID reinfection: CDC"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4263558-hiv-increased-risk-covid-reinfection-cdc/ posted:

(..)
CDC researchers analyzed data from March 2020 through May 2022 from 453,687 Chicago residents with reported COVID-19 cases and found a total of 5 percent experienced a COVID-19 infection more than 90 days after their first, including 6.7 percent — or 192 out of 2,886 — of those with HIV and 5.2 percent — or 23,642 out of the 450,701 —of those without HIV.
(..)
The study further found reinfection rates in those with HIV remained higher than those without regardless of their white blood cell count, which determine patients’ immune function.

“This finding indicates that even persons with well-controlled HIV infection might have a higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 reinfection compared with PWOH [person without HIV],” researchers wrote.

Following the findings, the CDC said it recommends people with HIV follow the recommended COVID-19 vaccine schedule and booster doses to avert a COVID-19 reinfection.
(..)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hoo boy I am pissed off today. I'm so loving tired of watching people die.

I have a 16yo student in the ER, and an 18yo student who needs to be, but he lives alone and the nurse can't test him.....because there are no tests anymore.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of children...
"Flat test scores leave California far behind pre-Covid levels of achievement"

https://edsource.org/2023/flat-test-scores-leave-california-far-behind-pre-covid-levels-of-achievement/698895 posted:

In the second year fully back in school after remote learning, California school districts made negligible progress overall in reversing the steep declines in test scores that have lingered since Covid struck in 2020.
(..)

(..)
Stubbornly high chronic absences
Along with test scores, the state released chronic absenteeism data on Wednesday showing nearly a quarter of all students chronically absent in 2023, double the 12.1% rate in 2019.

While the 2023 chronic absenteeism rate is high, it’s a drop from 2022, which saw an unprecedented high rate of nearly a third. Students are counted as chronically absent for missing 10% or more of school days. The rates of the state’s minority groups and most vulnerable students remain disproportionately high: 34.6% for students with disabilities, 40.6% for homeless youths and 28.1% for English learners.

“The staffing has been a huge struggle for us, but so has absenteeism,” said Rick Miller, chief executive officer of the CORE districts, a school improvement organization that works with eight urban districts, including Los Angeles, Long Beach, Fresno and Sacramento City. “There was the notion that kids go to school every day. The pandemic changed that. And there’s a mindset we’re working through that you don’t need to be in school every day. You be there when you can.”

That appears to be the case in kindergarten [ed. highlighted here to underline the absurdity of the sentence prior], where the chronic absenteeism rate was 40.4% in 2021-22 and 36.3% in 2022-23, compared with 15.6% in 2018-19. Unlike many states, California includes excused absences in its chronic absentee rate calculations.
(..)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Kaiser is a nonprofit and as such Has a reputation for being the cost reduction insurance company

sometimes I marvel at their efficiency. Sometimes I recoil at their efficiency

It's the kind of nonprofit where the senior executives travel with a security detail

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:thumbsup:

https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/26552/CDC-relaxes-VFC-rules-for-nirsevimab-COVID-19?autologincheck=redirected posted:

CDC relaxes VFC rules for nirsevimab, COVID-19 immunizations
(..)
Under the new guidelines, VFC [ed. "Vaccines for Children"] providers will have until March 31, 2024 to meet the private stock requirements for COVID-19 vaccines and until Aug. 1, 2024 to meet the private stock requirements for nirsevimab.
(..)

Nirsevimab is the RSV monoclonal antibody injection for babies under 24 months.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A story in two mild parts.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert-covid-1235574882/ posted:

‘The Late Show’ Pivots To At-Home Show After Stephen Colbert Tests Positive For Covid
October 16, 2023 11:37am

https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-late-show-stephen-colbert-covid-1235577195/ posted:

‘The Late Show’ Pulled Until Next Week As Stephen Colbert Continues To Recover From Covid
October 18, 2023 11:56am

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pingui posted:

Lol I took a break from Israel/Palestine news and now I'm all hosed up again on Covid news

Ted Kaczynski made many awful decisions but I like his ideas about home life.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I've mentioned before that it seems - to me - that BA.2.86 got caught extremely early. The implication being that it still has favorable (single point) mutations available and that the studies of the updated vaccines and how they would fare were premature. Anyways:
https://twitter.com/yunlong_cao/status/1714694253530804588

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for the info, Pingui. Wish I could get it somewhere else than a dead gay comedy forum, but :lmao: public health in this country.

I'm urging my parents to sign up for the COVID+flu vax as soon as possible. Do you know if the one that's being rolled out is updated? And do you know what the price tag is for non-olds?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for the info, Pingui. Wish I could get it somewhere else than a dead gay comedy forum, but :lmao: public health in this country.

I'm urging my parents to sign up for the COVID+flu vax as soon as possible. Do you know if the one that's being rolled out is updated? And do you know what the price tag is for non-olds?

Yes, it is Comirnaty (Pfizer) XBB.1.5. The price is private market, so it depends on where you get it. From a cursory glance, it is ~1k DKK (~$142).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

just... a continuing farce of too little, too late, over and over and over

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

that's what, at least 3 infections in a year and a half?

loving immunity debt.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pingui posted:

From a cursory glance, it is ~1k DKK (~$142).

Welp, guess I'm not getting it then.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

SplitSoul posted:

Welp, guess I'm not getting it then.
The CDC has a program offering free vaccines to people who don't have insurance that covers them. It's only at certain participating pharmacies and health centers, but hopefully you can find one near you.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Phlag posted:

The CDC has a program offering free vaccines to people who don't have insurance that covers them. It's only at certain participating pharmacies and health centers, but hopefully you can find one near you.

Not applicable :denmark:

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Pingui posted:

Not applicable :denmark:
Oops, sorry for assuming everyone's American. I saw SplitSoul's comment lamenting public health in their country and figured it had to be USA.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

mdemone posted:

Lol I took a break from Israel/Palestine news and now I'm all hosed up again on Covid news

lmao doing the exact same thing. Been getting depressed for a week on I/P news, was falling behind on getting depressed by Covid news.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phlag posted:

Oops, sorry for assuming everyone's American. I saw SplitSoul's comment lamenting public health in their country and figured it had to be USA.

That's evidently what our government's aspiring to.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

okay I give up. tried to help Toop thread but no dice

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I got mothed :dance:

Showed up ~5 min. early for my appointment at Rite-Aid. They didn't ask me for insurance or ID, and I didn't fill it out when making the original appointment. Only real questions I got were if I've had any COVID vax before and then a more casual question on why I'm trying a different brand.

As far as I'm aware they aren't involved with Bridge Access and I haven't filled anything there so who knows how they're handling getting reimbursed. Just happy it wasn't an issue.

Here's hoping for mild effects and amazing dreams tonight.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Phlag posted:

the links keep throwing me in circles where/how can I actually sign up for this Bridge Program?

edit: closest site is multiple hours away lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mdemone posted:

Hey I appreciated it. It's nice to know someone out there cares enough to speak up

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Relevant xpost:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Virgil Vox posted:

the links keep throwing me in circles where/how can I actually sign up for this Bridge Program?

edit: closest site is multiple hours away lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

thanks for trying. i appreciate the feedback. i've taken an antigen test every morning this week, plus monday and tuesday evening, all of which were negative. i took lucira tests mon-weds which all reported negative, though i do see the boxes say they expired at the end of last month, so probably not reliable.

i had a scratchy throat sunday, which was sore on monday. coughing monday night through last night. congestion and headache yesterday. things have mostly cleared up today, just a bit of nasal drip. never spiked a fever, chills, or any GI symptoms (except for nausea on saturday from the hangover i got after the wedding where i caught this).

if i'd seen even a faint line on one of those RATs i'd be inclined to believe it's covid, but i've busted through three boxes of the things and not even a shadow so i don't know :shrug:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no other viruses or bacteria (except for Yamagata B flu lol rip) went extinct or anything so it's perfectly possible to get non-COVID sick

and probably more possible now than before COVID.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

no other viruses or bacteria (except for Yamagata B flu lol rip) went extinct or anything so it's perfectly possible to get non-COVID sick

yeah, my guess has been good ol' fashioned rhinovirus

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

The Oldest Man posted:

I thought he was a coke and speed guy

little h to take the edge off too iirc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Sure, let's do a strategy premised on 2 months from new variant to variant specific vaccine instead. That will surely not fail.

Annual updates are an attempt to fit a round peg in a square hole, but this here is an excuse to never update the vaccine again.

After all, it’s still “Omicron”. 🤡

If the strategy were to be followed in good faith, we’d need to establish some threshold of neutralizing antibody titers, and if something came along that slipped below this, spool up production of vaccine targeting it ASAP.

Last year’s shot would have been obsolescent a few weeks after release.

This year’s would have been obsolescent before it even launched, which was knowable at the time “XBB.1.5” was rubber-stamped as the Right Stuff for 2023–2024.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gunshow Poophole posted:

This is true and most likely the case for someone that actually has taken multiple tests over the course of a week and all were negative but a whole lot of people are definitely in denial about COVID which is how you have situations like my kids daycare, with about 200 kids, somehow not having a single case of COVID since early July, when she caught it there and we reported the case.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

Archived link: https://archive.li/g0awV

It's like a lot of things about our COVID response where someone correctly looks at what we're doing and goes "Wow, that's stupid and doesn't work very well if at all" and rather than going "We should do better" they go "We should do nothing at all".

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/19/science-adviser-referred-to-rishi-sunak-as-dr-death-covid-inquiry-hears posted:

Science adviser referred to Rishi Sunak as ‘Dr Death’, Covid inquiry hears
Comment by Dame Angela McLean in message during meeting was apparently in reference to ‘eat out to help out’ scheme

Unrelated Guardian cartoon, that I found fitting.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i'm seeing lots of masking among pro-palestinian protestors, which is good for both health and privacy reasons, but that also makes me think we're about two seconds away from widespread mask bans for 'national security' reasons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

i'm seeing lots of masking among pro-palestinian protestors, which is good for both health and privacy reasons, but that also makes me think we're about two seconds away from widespread mask bans for 'national security' reasons

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Zantie posted:

I got mothed :dance:

Showed up ~5 min. early for my appointment at Rite-Aid. They didn't ask me for insurance or ID, and I didn't fill it out when making the original appointment. Only real questions I got were if I've had any COVID vax before and then a more casual question on why I'm trying a different brand.
Rite-Aid is going under, maybe the pharmacist is handing out all the free drugs they can before the doors get chained shut

3 hours till my moth juice! (and glizzy chaser)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/mark-schena-silicon-valley-exec-8-years-prison-covid-19-allergy-testing-fraud/ posted:

Silicon Valley exec Mark Schena gets 8 years in prison for COVID-19, allergy testing fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Just in case anyone is in or around Boston: https://twitter.com/BosCovidAction

At the moment, looks like they're just distributing masks, but who knows what's in store for the future.