Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"It's hard to predict the future" is a shockingly normal statement from the Fed guy. Usually they're like "I'm going to pull exactly these levers and the economy will react perfectly in the predicted manner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

the heroic millennials overcame modern day Hitler

But Biden is still in office.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i love my strong and well capitalized banks

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Tax the rich and stop starting wars.

Hmm. No.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Penisaurus Sex posted:

is Powell just bored today or something? There's no clear and obvious reason why he says the things he does.

He wants to make the crash happen is my guess

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

no worries jerry not like it's your fucken job or anything lmfao

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
just try your best. we're all proud of u

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

head dumbass of the fed were clueless

no kidding

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Never met a fellow boomer who had a "destination wedding" or "destination bachelor/bachelorette parties" nor used a wedding planner or makeup crews or monogrammed bathrobes for the gals getting made up but then again most of my friends had hippie weddings. The fanciest one I remember had a rehearsal dinner at the chicago athletic club but was a civil ceremony at a hotel the next day with 50 guests.

My mom's generation was adamant about the miss manners/emily post etiquette rules on never asking for money, or anything else ("you're telling a guest that you expect a gift"), from wedding guests & they pounded that poo poo into our gen. You could use a gift registry without facing the Wrath of Moms but you only named the store if guests asked, and you never put it on an invite.

If parents of a couple paid toward a house downpayment or something as a wedding gift it was bc they could afford it & they did it privately & quietly.

I expected my mom's nearby ashes to come flying out of the urn while I was reading some of the above posts.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Only a couple of the people I know who got married had weddings with invitations and I think only one did a gift registry thing and they were already pretty well off

almost everyone I know just had a casual wedding or little civil thing with like 0-10 people

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wife and I paid for our wedding ourselves. It was 300 people and cost the amount of a nice car but it was before the pandemic and a destination wedding. We had it in an amazing location and got to go all out for a fraction of what it would cost here. Weddings in the U.S. are way overpriced and you pay for crap.

My in-laws are broke, blew their savings on my idiot SIL’s first wedding (ended in divorce in less than a year) and my parents didn’t have much money back then. I didn’t want to ask them for help and put them out. My parents are way better off than us now and able to help us out with things as needed and take care of themselves as they age. Huge stress relief off us and hopefully we can retire earlier than expected.

If my kids want a big wedding, I’d throw it for them and let them decide what to do. I’d just suggest having it as a destination wedding so it’s more memorable and affordable.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gently caress. which banks? which ones are “safe”?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

anime was right posted:

He wants to make the crash happen is my guess

Well then he is doing a lovely job because people ate his bs up and number will only soar more

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cuttlefush posted:

Only a couple of the people I know who got married had weddings with invitations and I think only one did a gift registry thing and they were already pretty well off

almost everyone I know just had a casual wedding or little civil thing with like 0-10 people

My brother married his high school sweetheart and her parents (not her) insisted on a big to-do at a Poconos resort. Anyway it bankrupted them and they got divorced over it. lmao

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
My mom got real mad when my wife and I had a 50 person wedding and refused to budge on inviting a bunch of relatives we've never met. She also keeps insisting I talk to my brother who molested me as a child, so you can see where her priorities are at.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Vote.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Mine's at an all-inclusive venue and we're paying less than pretty much everyone we know who had a wedding of a comparable size, even the ones who didn't get a venue and planned it all themselves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the proper amount to spend is exactly $8,000.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My wife and I eloped to the county clerks office and told our families to get hosed it has nothing to do with them.

Weddings are for suckers with money

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/18/pfizer-to-price-covid-drug-paxlovid-at-1390-per-course-.html

Public research, testing, and distrobution; private profit :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skooma512 posted:

My parents do. They throw shade at my choice of partner, and would probably no matter who she is, because she is having us move away from them for work and my parents expect me to be their personal aide at their house, with no flexibility. My dad explicitly says I owe it to them and that he feels “shortchanged”. They are also not contributing to the wedding and thinks we shouldn’t even do it since the price is greater than signing paperwork at the courthouse.

I feel like I could have written this post myself. Dear heavens.

I'm sorry that these things happened to you.

God help me, I'm still wearing my VFlex around town but the knowledge that the backstop drug in case I gently caress up is now unaffordable is.... really grim.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Oct 19, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"my parents made me have a big wedding"

"my parents wouldn't pay for a big wedding bc they wanted us to go to the courthouse"

Maybe decide on & fund the weddings you want to have?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Willa Rogers posted:

"my parents made me have a big wedding"

"my parents wouldn't pay for a big wedding bc they wanted us to go to the courthouse"

Maybe decide on & fund the weddings you want to have?

Boomers: expect everything, pay nothing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

We are funding it comfortably, but it really sucks when your parents poo poo on anything you do and openly dislike that you have a relationship because it’s distracting from serving them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you can ignore their bad opinions

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yes you can just ignore their opinions, but it took me a good 6 years to adopt a mindset that is actually comfortable with doing so

it's loving tough, I feel like people are really wired to want understanding and approval from their parents

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My brother married his high school sweetheart and her parents (not her) insisted on a big to-do at a Poconos resort. Anyway it bankrupted them and they got divorced over it. lmao

skill issue

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

yes you can just ignore their opinions, but it took me a good 6 years to adopt a mindset that is actually comfortable with doing so

it's loving tough, I feel like people are really wired to want understanding and approval from their parents

fair enough

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I left an abusive family when I was 17 & supported myself thereafter but I'm ngl it caused me to miss out on a lot of stuff like parental funding for college or help buying a home, stuff my non-abused siblings received.

eta: understanding, love & approval would've been nice, too.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:smith:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My wife and I eloped to the county clerks office and told our families to get hosed it has nothing to do with them.

Weddings are for suckers with money

Pfft ain't paying some clerk. Just start introducing each other in public as married and fill out your tax form. Common law marriage.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Pfft ain't paying some clerk. Just start introducing each other in public as married and fill out your tax form. Common law marriage.

Naw the lady was super nice and took our picture. She was stoked to be marrying us. 10/10 would recommend

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

We can afford two wars.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

skooma512 posted:

We are funding it comfortably, but it really sucks when your parents poo poo on anything you do and openly dislike that you have a relationship because it’s distracting from serving them.

I have the same issue with my parents. Now my parents want help with their new business as they age and expect me to move home to help. But I don’t want to move there as I don’t want to give up my job and there are no jobs in their state. I don’t want a salary from them either as we don’t get along. They also barely tolerate my wife so moving closer to them would be a disaster and my wife wouldn’t also have many job prospects. I told them I’ll gladly help them with accounting and other issues remotely as that’s easily done, I don’t need to be there in person.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1714766228399505575

Not a good sign

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
looking at convoy it seems like they were a startup dependent on money injections and they were gonna use ai to disrupt logistics or something stupid

https://convoy.com/digital-freight-network/

everything smells like they sucked rear end glad they died

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Glumwheels posted:

I have the same issue with my parents. Now my parents want help with their new business as they age and expect me to move home to help. But I don’t want to move there as I don’t want to give up my job and there are no jobs in their state. I don’t want a salary from them either as we don’t get along. They also barely tolerate my wife so moving closer to them would be a disaster and my wife wouldn’t also have many job prospects. I told them I’ll gladly help them with accounting and other issues remotely as that’s easily done, I don’t need to be there in person.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1714766228399505575

Not a good sign

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/its-over-convoy-shutting-operations-no-strategic-white-knight-to-the-rescue

they just shut down a day after announcing that

quote:

The ultimate blame for the collapse, according to Lewis, is that Convoy found itself in “the middle of a massive freight recession and a contraction in the capital markets. This combination ultimately crushed our progress at the same time that it was crushing our logical strategic acquirer — it was the perfect storm.”

DEMAND CRUNCH IS REAL

anime was right has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Oct 19, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Stop taxing the rich and start wars.

Sounds like a plan!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
being married is cool but having a wedding really sucked. one of the more stressful times of our lives. I would have been happy with some kind of mail-in certificate or something but there was a good portion of familial expectation at what to do. we went as small as we could get away with given their expectations and it was still easily five figures.

anyway I don’t miss it. will get married in a garbage can next time

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://x.com/DeItaone/status/1715037337430655324?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Our business plan was based on interest rates remaining at zero forever and tricking some big dumbass into acquiring our worthless wheel-reinventing horseshit company like has been working for tech companies for the past decade+

Oops