Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

You missed a perfect opportunity to inject some young blood into the forums

“Hello young kids let me tell you about a website you should visit”

I’m sure the kids would be all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

“Hello young kids let me tell you about a website you should visit”

I’m sure the kids would be all ears.

I’ve (drunkenly) got randos at a bar to (drunkenly) register after telling the story of and showing pictures of groverhaus.

First question was “why are the stairs insulated”

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Peter Thiel is an FBI informant and floor shitter Charles Johnson both introduced him to his handler and burned him

https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-thiel-fbi-informant-charles-johnson-johnathan-buma-chs-genius-2023-10

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hot Diggity! posted:

Peter Thiel is an FBI informant and floor shitter Charles Johnson both introduced him to his handler and burned him

https://www.businessinsider.com/peter-thiel-fbi-informant-charles-johnson-johnathan-buma-chs-genius-2023-10

Thought that this was Peter Daou for a hot second and got really confused.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The doc said to eat when taking my amoxicillin/potassium for my ear infection to prevent nausea. Since I don't normally eat breakfast I thought "a cup of coffee and one Quest peanut butter cup should be enough."

I was wrong. :barf:

Hopefully my stomach settles before I hike Mt. Tabor with fellow goon Crosshatch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1715012994755665990

So much for the kraken

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Really, really enjoying this.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Air Skwirl posted:

This is in no way meant to be a defense of Hastert or anything, the man deserves to burn in hell, but I thought it was a weird case of a sex criminal only doing it a couple times then deciding it wasn't for him and didn't repeat?

This is entirely based off a joke a heard on Chapo Traphouse so all of the mea culpas if I'm wrong and he actually was a serial sex criminal instead of a one off.

Nah, he abused at least 4 boys as young as 9 or 10 over the course of at least a decade or so, and paid multiple millions of dollars in hush money to various victims. The upstanding members of the GOP political establishment wrote 60 letters of support saying that aside from the sex abuse and insider trading and other illegal acts, Hastert was a really wonderful guy so he only got sentenced to 15 months in a federal hospital facility, and he served 13 months. Then he got sued and lost a few more millions in a bunch of civil cases by the victims.

Much like Gym Jordan, Hastert got into coaching wrestling for the opportunities to molest that are afforded such a position, and then went into political power for the opportunities to steal money that position affords. He went into congress with a net worth of $270k and left with a net worth of $11+ million. LOL.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kurgarra Queen posted:

It takes a lot to get that far: anyone who can make it deserves a lot of credit! I'm sort of dreading my MSW program because I've developed a deep contempt for the specific kind of academic writing that my coursework will demand from me. I'm never loving going back to school after this.

I am/was a kinda lovely grad student but the trade off was that I didnt have the constants stress/advisor hate most others get. Took a little longer to defend that I anticipated but everything worked out in the end. My advisor ran a pretty loose ship which worked out for me. Of course, I now realize I don't like chemistry as much as I thought I did

job hunting sucks

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Is, is it happening?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Ooh Disco Elysium is on PS+. Never played it but you nerds wouldn’t shut up about it for a while so gonna give it a shot

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hope you like reading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hope you like reading.

Assuming it's the updated form, everything is voice acted now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Make sure to become an ultraliberal and tell everyone that you are one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Assuming it's the updated form, everything is voice acted now.

Yeah it’s the Final Cut one, it’s all voice acted.

I threw up on a dead body and tried to punch a kid, good game so far

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s really fun but if you don’t keep at it mercilessly it’s easy to lose the threads on it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Joey Freshwater posted:

gently caress Cuno. Nasty little bastard.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

gently caress Cuno. Nasty little bastard.

….you should replay.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I am/was a kinda lovely grad student but the trade off was that I didnt have the constants stress/advisor hate most others get. Took a little longer to defend that I anticipated but everything worked out in the end. My advisor ran a pretty loose ship which worked out for me. Of course, I now realize I don't like chemistry as much as I thought I did

job hunting sucks

As someone who dropped out of a Chemistry PhD program, you have my respect.

Also everyone I know who has a Chem PhD wouldn't have gone through one, knowing what they did at the end lol. I know multiple who aren't even in the field anymore!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

….you should replay.

I thought about it but IMO it's kind of cool to let yourself have one, canonical playthrough. No savescums, clearly there's poo poo you missed or didn't do, the outcome wasn't maybe what you were hoping for. But that's how it goes.

It's also such an emotional gutpunch of a game I'm not sure I really want to experience it a second time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I couldn’t even get past high school chemistry. The concept of a “mole” was so mystifying

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

C-Euro posted:

Also everyone I know who has a Chem PhD wouldn't have gone through one, knowing what they did at the end lol. I know multiple who aren't even in the field anymore!
I have a friend who got a Masters in Chem and recently left the field after 10 years. Hates working in the field, is looking into doing literally anything else because corps response to unsafe workplace practices, literally impossible expected turn-around times on some chemicals and broken fume hoods is basically "Quit whining, you baby bitch."
I heard basically the exact same thing from a friend of a friend who left the field as well! Which is, well, pretty disturbing considering how bad many chemicals can gently caress you up.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

chemistry chat: you guys would love sundae's pharma stories in BFC corporate thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also PYF Dangerous Chemistry: OHNONONO you incredibly foolhardy man don't touch that

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

No savescums

This was the big thing for me. Disco Elysium makes it fun to fail rolls and see where the story goes, don't cheese it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

I couldn’t even get past high school chemistry. The concept of a “mole” was so mystifying

It's like a dozen, but much much larger. Shorthand for a number essentially.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I have a friend who got a Masters in Chem and recently left the field after 10 years. Hates working in the field, is looking into doing literally anything else because corps response to unsafe workplace practices, literally impossible expected turn-around times on some chemicals and broken fume hoods is basically "Quit whining, you baby bitch."
I heard basically the exact same thing from a friend of a friend who left the field as well! Which is, well, pretty disturbing considering how bad many chemicals can gently caress you up.

Prevention isn't profitable, or at least it's difficult to frame as profitable on a balance sheet. I also haven't had a bench position since 2015 so I don't know the state of affairs today.

pmchem posted:

chemistry chat: you guys would love sundae's pharma stories in BFC corporate thread.

What do you think got me through the semester or two where I realized I was going to fail out of a PhD, no matter how many hours I put into my research?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

One of my Technician's go-to stories from when he was the Cell Coordinator on our metal plating line was the other guy on the line spilling sulfuric acid, wiping it up with a paper towel, then looking at the Coordinator in horror as it burst into flames.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

When I was in school I had a friend getting his Chemical Engineering PhD, I even sat in on his defense. I had no clue what the gently caress he was talking about though. Now he's a professor of textile engineering at North Carolina State University, so that's something. Him and his girlfriend were both getting PhDs in ChemE. They were a little weird.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This was the big thing for me. Disco Elysium makes it fun to fail rolls and see where the story goes, don't cheese it.

its acceptable to savescum everything involving the church

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

When I was in school I had a friend getting his Chemical Engineering PhD, I even sat in on his defense. I had no clue what the gently caress he was talking about though. Now he's a professor of textile engineering at North Carolina State University, so that's something. Him and his girlfriend were both getting PhDs in ChemE. They were a little weird.

I went to school for mechanical engineering for a year (flunked out) and stayed in the engineering dormitory, and the chemical engineering students were by far the weirdest of the engineering students. I think I would have had a better chance of staying in that school if I took civil or electrical engineering instead.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Now he's a professor of textile engineering at North Carolina State University, so that's something.

fwiw, NC State is considered the best school in America for Textile Engineering.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So Cyberpunk is really easy to accidentally get to the end without building yourself up a lot. I should have taken more side jobs.

All these people online with swords for arms and poo poo and I've upgraded at the ripperdoc only twice?

They made it seem like this was a pressing need to get Johnny out of my head and as it turns out I should have been lollygagging all over the place.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

What are the TFF Chat Thread-approved refrigerator brands? Ours isn't keeping cold anymore and if it's the compressor (which I guess is a known issue with this model) then it's more cost-effective to just buy a new fridge even though this one isn't that old.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Refrigerators are a crapshoot with no real standout like Bosch dishwashers. LG is in the group of "pretty good" brands that don't have an increased likelihood to breakdown, which is about the best you can hope for. The ones from about 10 years ago advertise that 10 year warranty on whatever part, but don't mention that covers the relatively cheap part but not the labor.

The best way to make your fridge be more reliable is not bother with any of the automated ice or water dispensing poo poo, because those are the parts that break. That and vacuum off the coils on the back from time to time.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Consumer Reports refrigerator reliability rankings not exactly helping to make things clearer. In the article it did mention LG having a higher likelihood of linear compressor failures, but then has it tied for most reliable, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Further discussion after these did point out it's impossible to rate actual reliability on a brand new product, so the "predicted reliability" scores are based on recent history.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

the chemical engineering students were by far the weirdest of the engineering students.

:mad:

They were talking about ChE PhD's, not all of us! Although, honestly, probably not a terrible generalization.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mentioned it back then, but if you haven't, take the back off and see if there's an ice dam build up. Had a ton of problems with those with my Maytag.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My Samsung from Costco is a dream

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:mad:

They were talking about ChE PhD's, not all of us! Although, honestly, probably not a terrible generalization.

I was friends with a couple of them, they weren't bad people, they were just built differently than most.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Kalli posted:

Mentioned it back then, but if you haven't, take the back off and see if there's an ice dam build up. Had a ton of problems with those with my Maytag.

I have a Sub-Zero and while it's great in most cases, the "ice builds up and blocks the excess water from draining so water pools under the crisper" issue is an absolutely bonkers design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Shrimpy posted:

I have a Sub-Zero and while it's great in most cases, the "ice builds up and blocks the excess water from draining so water pools under the crisper" issue is an absolutely bonkers design choice.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of fridges as my Samsung as the exact same problem. I've had to pull everything out and clean out that drain twice now and I think I need to do it again. It's not a big deal now that I know how to do it, but it's like an hour of pull everything out, take back panel apart, get hair dryer to help speed things up, and then put it all back together again. More of a nuisance than anything, but gently caress it's annoying once I notice it's a problem.