Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Could the endgame credibly be that Israel retains occupation over the north part of the Gaza strip, so what we're about to see is the second ethnic cleansing of 2023? It makes a grim sort of logical sense as a punitive measure to Hamas and a bung to the settler-friendly Israeli right wing.
That would go some way to explaining why the Israeli military seems to be gearing up for manpower-intensive and bloody street warfare rather than using airstrikes to delete key infrastructure, then calling it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

This MAY have been a missile launch failure ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

quote:

Live footage from the Al-Jazeera media network aired at 18:59 local time showed a bright light rising in the skies above Gaza. It flashes twice before drastically changing direction, and it then explodes.

An explosion is then seen on the ground far away, followed by a much larger explosion closer to the camera, which the BBC has geolocated.

Some commentators have suggested it is from a rocket which appears to explode or disintegrate.

Other footage which surfaced on social media channels showed what appears to be the same blast from different angles and distances.

We contacted 20 think tanks, universities and companies with weapons expertise. Nine of them are yet to respond, five would not comment, but we spoke to experts at the remaining six.

We asked whether the available evidence - including the size of the explosion and the sounds heard beforehand - could be used to determine the cause of the hospital blast.

So far, the findings are inconclusive. Three experts we spoke to say it is not consistent with what you would expect from a typical Israeli air strike with a large munition.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

We contacted 20 groups that work either directly, or indirectly for the Pentagon. Their answers might surprise you!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

This MAY have been a missile launch failure ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

19, 2023 18:57Reg Date: Aug 10, 2009

Wait a drat second. So ANOTHER hospital was blown up and there just so happened to be a rocket launch right before with yet another rocket making a weird U turn? Wtf?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/1714968013068230783

Le Point, a french reporting agency is saying between 10 and 50 people were killed by the blast in the al-Ahli hospital. I'm not srue how credible they are, but this is the first reporting agency not citing numbers originating from Hamas affiliated orgs as far as I'm aware.

In a translated quote it cites an anonymous French intelligence source that spoke to the AFP.

quote:

“There are not 200 or 500 deaths, but rather a few dozen, probably between 10 and 50,” the source told Agence France-Presse (AFP)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terebus posted:

Le Point, a french reporting agency is saying between 10 and 50 people were killed by the blast in the al-Ahli hospital. I'm not srue how credible they are, but this is the first reporting agency not citing numbers originating from Hamas affiliated orgs as far as I'm aware.

In a translated quote it cites an anonymous French intelligence source that spoke to the AFP.

Seems to be Some Anonymous Intel Guy versus a considerable number of eyewitnesses (some of them of considerable international repute like Ghassan) saying that nope, hundreds died. I'm not sure why we should pay much more attention to this than the long string of other counternarratives that have thus far demonstrated themselves to be flimsy as gently caress.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I mean if you wanted you could hop on twitter and see video footage of the aftermath with more than 10 dead bodies in frame at a given time. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Al-Jazeera had their footage, which is what the IDF is saying proves an errant rocket, analysed and they say it shows that the rocket in question was successfully intercepted with the same visual pattern of destruction as other rockets. They also have footage, that the IDF excluded, of other Israeli strikes similar to the explosion confirmed to be at the hospital in the same area across the five minutes up to the hospital strike.
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1714984258358391057

The WHO said yesterday that the death count is 471, with 342 wounded. They have representatives on the ground.
https://www.emro.who.int/images/stories/palestine/oPt-emegency-situation-report-issue_5.pdf

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Terebus posted:

Let Point is an actual media outlet not owned by any governments; their reporting on the conflict, at a glance, does appear slanted in Israel's favor.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Al-Jazeera had their footage, which is what the IDF is saying proves an errant rocket, analysed and they say it shows that the rocket in question was successfully intercepted with the same visual pattern of destruction as other rockets. They also have footage, that the IDF excluded, of other Israeli strikes similar to the explosion confirmed to be at the hospital in the same area across the five minutes up to the hospital strike.

That seems dubious. One of the known cost-saving measures of the Iron Dome is that it doesn't intercept over Gaza because of the high failure rate of Gazan rockets in the launch phase.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

That seems dubious. One of the known cost-saving measures of the Iron Dome is that it doesn't intercept over Gaza because of the high failure rate of Gazan rockets in the launch phase.

And yet their analysis video shows no less than four largely identical-looking interceptions during the period they were filming.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

Could the endgame credibly be that Israel retains occupation over the north part of the Gaza strip, so what we're about to see is the second ethnic cleansing of 2023? It makes a grim sort of logical sense as a punitive measure to Hamas and a bung to the settler-friendly Israeli right wing.
That would go some way to explaining why the Israeli military seems to be gearing up for manpower-intensive and bloody street warfare rather than using airstrikes to delete key infrastructure, then calling it a day.

The thing is that Israel bombards Gaza with a wave of airstrikes every couple of years, so it's not really all that effective at convincing the voters that the government is Doing Something about Hamas. If there's domestic political pressure to show a serious effort against Hamas, though, Israel needs to send in the ground troops.

I can't imagine them staying for long, though. If they couldn't secure the heavily defended and monitored border wall they've been working on for more than a decade and a half, there's simply no way they could expect to keep the troops reasonably safe in a long-term occupation of northern Gaza.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

His aides clarified within 24 hours of this that he had not seen any actual evidence of beheaded babies.

NovemberMike posted:

Seems to me that they would turn it on if they were conducting military operations in and immediately around Gaza for extra protection of troops in close positions to the strip

Of course you wouldn't have it on over Gaza during peacetime but it seems like you'd want to maximize coverage during an active conflict

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 19, 2023

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The President of the United States is a senile dickhead.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

And yet their analysis video shows no less than four largely identical-looking interceptions during the period they were filming.

This is a long exposure of Iron Dome interceptors. The curvy path is the interceptor, you can see it's bright and on a curvy path because it has to burn to change directions and hit the intercept target. In their video I don't see evidence of these missiles. If you see it let me know the timestamp.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Seems to me that they would turn it on if they were conducting military operations in and immediately around Gaza for extra protection of troops in close positions to the strip

Of course you wouldn't have it on over Gaza during peacetime but it seems like you'd want to maximize coverage during an active conflict

It's just not how Iron Dome works. The system calculates the peak of the trajectory of the rocket and tries to intercept there. It just doesn't intercept in the launch phase.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

NovemberMike posted:

This is a long exposure of Iron Dome interceptors. The curvy path is the interceptor, you can see it's bright and on a curvy path because it has to burn to change directions and hit the intercept target. In their video I don't see evidence of these missiles. If you see it let me know the timestamp.

It's just not how Iron Dome works. The system calculates the peak of the trajectory of the rocket and tries to intercept there. It just doesn't intercept in the launch phase.

Those launches all look like they're at the top of their arc when they pop though

And the reason you're not seeing those trails is because you're not looking at a long exposure image. There's also about a tenth as much light in the sky given that there's no power in Gaza right now

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Those launches all look like they're at the top of their arc when they pop though

And the reason you're not seeing those trails is because you're not looking at a long exposure image. There's also about a tenth as much light in the sky given that there's no power in Gaza right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSCWvOn42HI

This is what they look like in a video. The bright things flying around the sky are the Tamir interceptors from Iron Dome. You can't see the rockets because they've stopped burning fuel at that point. Where in the Al Jazeera video do we see bright guided missiles from Israel?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also Israel's claims would require an intact or mostly intact rocket and the rocket clearly disintegrates in the footage. Even if one were to grant it wasn't intercepted how does a bunch of shrapnel gel with the munition striking the hospital with the sound and force it does.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing is that Israel bombards Gaza with a wave of airstrikes every couple of years, so it's not really all that effective at convincing the voters that the government is Doing Something about Hamas. If there's domestic political pressure to show a serious effort against Hamas, though, Israel needs to send in the ground troops.

I can't imagine them staying for long, though. If they couldn't secure the heavily defended and monitored border wall they've been working on for more than a decade and a half, there's simply no way they could expect to keep the troops reasonably safe in a long-term occupation of northern Gaza.

I've not explained what I meant well enough, so here's an attempt to draw it.

Border walls have generally been a successful component of Israeli policy, but if defending them is becoming painful then it makes sense to reduce their length. Fighting a land war allows you to move the border and replace Palestinians with Israeli settlers.
This fits with a long term pattern of Israel annexing territory from those that attack it, and the end game here is that the Gaza strip ceases to exist. It reminds me of an observation in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Yugoslavia that the international community generally looked the other way while ethnic cleansing was happening in the run up to the Dayton agreement because it made ethnic divisions neater, and that made the borders easier to agree on.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Edit: Actually I don't want to keep an argument going that is essentially a zaprudering of missile footage so hopefully nobody quoted this and we can all move on

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 19, 2023

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NovemberMike posted:

You can't see the rockets because they've stopped burning fuel at that point. Where in the Al Jazeera video do we see bright guided missiles from Israel?

Unless your position is that the rockets climbing out of Gaza hit some sort of draw-distance barrier and flashed out of existence, I'm not sure what your argument is. At 1:53 in the video, after their own motors have burnt out and gone dark, they are intercepted by the Iron Dome. It is quite clear both from watching and from listening that that is what is happening.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Endjinneer posted:

I've not explained what I meant well enough, so here's an attempt to draw it.

Border walls have generally been a successful component of Israeli policy, but if defending them is becoming painful then it makes sense to reduce their length. Fighting a land war allows you to move the border and replace Palestinians with Israeli settlers.
This fits with a long term pattern of Israel annexing territory from those that attack it, and the end game here is that the Gaza strip ceases to exist. It reminds me of an observation in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Yugoslavia that the international community generally looked the other way while ethnic cleansing was happening in the run up to the Dayton agreement because it made ethnic divisions neater, and that made the borders easier to agree on.

Earlier today:

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1715024208491676144

I don't see a full link to the transcript but it appears to be a direct quote from the Israeli Foreign Minister in an interview with this right-wing radio station.

https://twitter.com/GLZRadio/status/1714575523605545299

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
something i hadn't seen posted in all the back and forth on the hospital, apologies if it's a repost. settlers in the west bank are taking the opportunity to step up their ongoing campaign of violence against their palestinian neighbors. not really surprising given that settlers were known to kill before the incursion from gaza. it is a salient reminder that hamas is not the root cause of the conflict, and when it comes to international condemnation some killings of civilians in their residence seem to be more evil than others

quote:

Ibrahim Wadi, 62, and his son Ahmad, 24, were on their way to a funeral for four Palestinians shot dead by Israeli settlers in their occupied West Bank community, when their car came under attack.

The father and son were driving through the small village of Qusra, just south of Nablus, which has become a focal point of violence over recent days, when they themselves were fired upon by armed settlers on Thursday. Family members told CNN that the men were transferred to a nearby hospital and died of their wounds soon after.

They are among at least 61 people, including children, to be killed in the occupied West Bank since October 7, when Hamas launched its unprecedented, surprise assault on Israel, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health there. More than 1,250 have been injured.

Hamas’ attack has left more than 1,400 people dead in Israel, mostly civilian, with at least 199 believed to be held hostage inside Gaza, according to Israeli authorities.

Israel announced a “complete siege” of the enclave in response, carrying out widespread airstrikes across the Gaza Strip that left at least 3,478 people dead and threatening a ground invasion, according to the health ministry in Gaza, which is controlled by Hamas. Meanwhile, tensions are mounting in the West Bank, where Palestinians have been killed in confrontations with both Israeli forces and settlers.

Hani Odeh, Qusra’s mayor, told CNN that settlers roam freely in the village under the protection of Israeli police. He said he had informed a member of COGAT, Israel’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, that he was going to attend the funeral, along with Ahmad and Ibrahim.

A few hours beforehand, the Israeli official told him to take a different route than the one they would usually take, to avoid settlers in the area. But to Odeh’s surprise, the road to which they were diverted was filled with settlers, who eventually shot and killed Ahmad and Ibrahim in their car.

Odeh told CNN he watched the attack happen from his own vehicle while Israeli soldiers patrolled the street. He went up to one officer, urging him to disperse the settlers, but no one did anything. He said it felt like a trap.

CNN reached out to COGAT and the IDF for comment on Odeh’s claims but have yet to receive a response.

Brig. Gen. Daniel Hagari, the Israeli military’s spokesperson, said last week that the military was on high alert in the occupied territory, adding it was preparing to thwart any potential attacks. “Anyone who challenges us in Judea and Samaria will be met with huge force,” Hagari said, using the Jewish biblical names for the West Bank.

A surge of attacks
CNN spoke with residents in the West Bank who say they are fearful of a wave of violence from the Israeli military and security forces, as well as revenge attacks by the estimated 700,000 Israeli settlers living in the area. The latest killings come against the backdrop of a year in which the West Bank has seen a surge in settler attacks, including one that an Israeli military commander called a “pogrom.”

Even before the war with Hamas, the West Bank had been boiling. Following a wave of Palestinian attacks on Israelis last year, Israel launched regular incursions and raids into the West Bank targeting what they said were militant strongholds. The resulting violence left a record number of both Palestinians and Israelis dead, numbers not seen in at least a decade.

Days after the deadly violence in Qusra, home to around 7,000 people, residents are still reeling. Photographs commemorating the six people who were killed plaster the walls of homes and buildings. A bleak emptiness fills the air.

Torched cars, broken water pumps and ransacked electricity lines surround an apartment building on the edge of the village where the first four killings took place. Inside the floor is littered with glass, and bullet marks scar the walls.

Armed settlers attacked the building on October 11, triggering calls for help from residents. When several neighbors arrived at the scene, the settlers opened fire and four people were shot dead: Musa’ab Abu Raidi, 19, Obaida Abu Srour, 18, Hassan Muhannad, 22, and Moath Odesa, 29.

Inside the apartment building, Rabeea, 19, and her brother, Abdulrahman, 12, watched with horror as the attack unfolded. The siblings, who asked that CNN not use their last name for fear of reprisals from Israeli settlers, recounted how settlers lobbed rocks and fired at the building as they hid inside with their mother.

Their older brother and his 6-year-old daughter were injured and receiving treatment at a hospital nearby. Odeh, the mayor, told CNN that they were among 12 people to be hospitalized after the attack.

Rabeea said her brother can’t sleep at night; he’s too scared to be alone. CNN met the family as they were packing up their things and getting ready to move to another village.

“I feel so bad. I want to cry but, what can we do?” she said. “I want to stay here but we can’t do anything.”

They’ve been here before. Seven years ago, Rabeea and Abdulrahman said their father was shot dead by Israeli settlers near Nablus. The fear of being attacked forced their family to pick up and move to Qusra. Now, too scared to stay, they are being driven from their home again.

Since Israel took control and occupied the West Bank in 1967 from Jordan following the six-day war, the territory, which residents hope will form part of a future Palestinian state, has been settled by Israeli civilians, often under military protection.

Most of the world considers these settlements illegal under international law, but despite this successive Israeli governments have pledged support for them. Israel views the West Bank as “disputed territory,” and contends its settlement policy is legal.

This year, following the election of the most right-wing, extremist government in Israeli history under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, violence between settlers and Palestinians in the West Bank flared.

As of mid-September this year, the United Nations had reported 798 settler-related incidents in the occupied territory, leading to 216 Palestinians injured. In the same period, Israeli forces killed 179 Palestinians in the West Bank.

The IDF says most are terror suspects or people engaging violently with its troops during raids, but does not offer evidence in every case for this assertion.

Settlers have long been accused of carrying out acts of violence against Palestinians. As well as killings, these attacks have included incidents of physical assault, property damage and harassment.

Odeh insisted their aim is to drive Palestinians from their home and ultimately from the occupied West Bank.

Record housing approvals
This year, in the wake of international criticism, Netanyahu instructed Jewish settlers not to grab land in the West Bank without the Israeli government’s permission. But under his leadership, Israel has approved a record number of housing units in West Bank settlements.

Members of his far-right government, including National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who are themselves settlers, have been accused of inciting violence against Palestinians since taking power.

In the wake of Hamas’ attack on October 7, Palestinians are being subjected to tight restrictions on movement within the West Bank and between the West Bank and Israel, with Israeli military forces imposing a full closure of checkpoints and roadblocks, according to several residents who spoke to CNN.

Palestinians living in the West Bank told CNN the closure has significantly impacted their daily lives, restricting their ability to travel for work, school, medical treatment and other essential activities.

In a call with US President Joe Biden on Saturday, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas demanded an end to settler attacks against people in Palestinian cities, villages and refugee camps in the West Bank, while stressing the need to stop the killing of civilians on both sides.

At the home of Ibrahim and Ahmad, who lived a short drive away from the apartment building that was attacked in Qusra, and in full view of an encroaching Israeli settlement, their family – wives, daughters, and sisters – were in mourning on Sunday.

“Thank God, we are strong. And God willing, we will continue to have strength and patience,” Khitam Wadi, Ibrahim’s wife and Ahmad’s mother, told CNN.

“My husband loved his land. He defended his land. And we will continue to do the same so long as we are alive,” she added.

Evidently shaken, Khitam found it hard to describe her grief. But the younger women in the family, while in pain, were adamant on standing their ground.

“I’m sad, of course. This all affects me, but not to the extent that it weakens me. We’ve been experiencing the same thing our entire lives, nothing has changed,” Aseel, Ahmad’s sister and Ibrahim’s daughter, said.

“This is our home. My dad taught me to love my land. I will teach my kids the same. And I will stay for as long as I live.”

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
As if there was any doubt this was the true goal (annexing northern gaza)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Urethane posted:

Earlier today:

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1715024208491676144

I don't see a full link to the transcript but it appears to be a direct quote from the Israeli Foreign Minister in an interview with this right-wing radio station.

https://twitter.com/GLZRadio/status/1714575523605545299

That will certainly lead to peace! What a wonderful and not at all horrific thing to say!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nail Rat posted:

As if there was any doubt this was the true goal (annexing northern gaza)

I think the true goal was retaliation for the 1,400 dead Israelis. They weren't storming into Gaza before that.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So apparently Biden is going to divert artillery shells from a war to prevent genocide to a war of genocide
https://www.axios.com/2023/10/19/us-israel-artillery-shells-ukraine-weapons-gaza

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This is concerning. After Houthi rebels fired missiles in a "northernly direction" and were intercepted/shot down by US Navy, Iran is now moving around its strategic-class ballistic missile launchers. This is unusual as those are typically only seen by the public at parades and exhibitions. No word yet if Iran is going to enter the fight or why they are showing off their ballistic missiles, but given the US Navy incident a few hours ago, it's hard to think they aren't related. It should be noted that the Houthis were NOT firing at the US ship, it was just able to intercept them and shoot them down. It wasn't just missiles either, there were Iranian drones involved (my guess would be Shaheds)

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/is...d3AsBC0Fl8lBAa2

The only response by the United States to this so far has been an extremely ominous sounding

quote:

The U.S. Department of Defense has stated that any kind of Response to the Cruise Missile and Drone launches last night by the Houthis in Yemen and the Attack on Al-Asad Airbase will come at a “Time and Manner of our Choosing.”

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So if the Houthis weren't firing those missiles at the US ship, then I wonder what they were firing them at?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

The only response by the United States to this so far has been an extremely ominous sounding

don't get too clancychat TB, they often say poo poo like that and it amounts to "we can do what we want (but aren't doing anything right now (which does not guarantee that it will remain nothing))" :) e: and does not rule out that said manner of response is diplomatic

similarly for Iran moves. I mean, it is concerning but I would expect anyone in the region to be increasing their readiness right now. small comfort if it actually does flare up into involving other powers like Iran in open fighting obviously, but it's not a guarantee that that will happen.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

tiaz posted:

don't get too clancychat TB, they often say poo poo like that and it amounts to "we can do what we want (but aren't doing anything right now (which does not guarantee that it will remain nothing))" :) e: and does not rule out that said manner of response is diplomatic

At the other end of that spectrum we're assassinating their leaders...

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I was driving home about 30 minutes ago and the BBC was interviewing an Israeli spokesman (XM Satellite Radio). The spokesman said that Israel allowed 6 fuel trucks into Gaza yesterday so the hospitals could have power, but Hamas stole the fuel. None of this surprises me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has heard or read about this?

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Charliegrs posted:

So if the Houthis weren't firing those missiles at the US ship, then I wonder what they were firing them at?

Heading north up the Red Sea…. from Yemen….

*checks map*

Hmm, no obvious targets that I can see!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

similarly for Iran moves. I mean, it is concerning but I would expect anyone in the region to be increasing their readiness right now. small comfort if it actually does flare up into involving other powers like Iran in open fighting obviously, but it's not a guarantee that that will happen.

I don't think this is going to result in any kind of major American military action, but when the world's largest military shoots down your missiles and drones and then tells you a response will be coming and you have no idea when or where it will be, or WHAT it would be, I'd be feeling pretty nervous about now if I was a Houthi fighter. I just can't buy that it's a coincidence given how the regional powers feel about each other that an Iranian proxy group is firing missiles without Iranian approval, tacit or not.

I do think Iran moving their ballistic missiles around is just them puffing their chests out, but what I can't really figure out is who that message is meant to be delivered to. Israel, I guess? But it's hard to imagine either Israel or the US getting intimidated by something like that from a non-nuclear power. So I guess my question is, what the hell is Iran doing and for whose benefit?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Main Paineframe posted:

This, pretty much. At the end of the day any foreign/war policy the Israeli government has is just a reflection of short sighted domestic policies.

Which is why, even if it makes no tactical and strategic sense, they will send troops into Gaza to show that This Time It's Different. They can post pictures of dead Hamas militants and maybe some alive hostages.

Then after a while enough Israeli soldiers will die and the bloodlust will die down a bit so they can back out, maybe carving out some "security zone", with enough public support. With any luck this will last enougg time that people will forget who was in charge when this poo poo happened and won't kick them out of office.

(imo)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Charliegrs posted:

So apparently Biden is going to divert artillery shells from a war to prevent genocide to a war of genocide
https://www.axios.com/2023/10/19/us-israel-artillery-shells-ukraine-weapons-gaza

Maybe you should be more credulous about the stated intentions of our leaders when they manufacture consent for a war going forward

The United States has a long history of ignoring genocides and usually it's only a problem for us when we need a pretense to build support for a war for different reasons. The only time I can think of where we actually tried to prevent a genocide in progress was desert storm and I'm sure there was a laundry list of other reasons we actually sought out that conflict, especially since we've basically abandoned the kurds at this point

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Unless your position is that the rockets climbing out of Gaza hit some sort of draw-distance barrier and flashed out of existence, I'm not sure what your argument is. At 1:53 in the video, after their own motors have burnt out and gone dark, they are intercepted by the Iron Dome. It is quite clear both from watching and from listening that that is what is happening.

Jesus Christ this isn't complicated. Give me a timestamp and a video where you see the Tamir interceptors from the Iron Dome.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

So the argument is that news orgs have lovely headlines? That's a serious problem but the actual articles that are linked don't claim 40 babies beheaded.

In a forum that has rules regarding only reading the headline, I think we have already reach a consesus that headlines help shape narratives. Here is beloved political commentator Chris Cillizza, commenting on a American Press Institute study on the subject.

Chris Cillizza posted:

So, roughly six in 10 people acknowledge that they have done nothing more than read news headlines in the past week. And, in truth, that number is almost certainly higher than that, since plenty of people won't want to admit to just being headline-gazers but, in fact, are.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Bel Shazar posted:

At the other end of that spectrum we're assassinating their leaders...

like, recently, connected to this conflict? because I'm not trying to relitigate Suleimani here, the US obviously has attacked Iran in the past, but I'm fairly confident has also made statements like the one I'm talking about and then not done anything militarily.

HonorableTB posted:

I don't think this is going to result in any kind of major American military action, but when the world's largest military shoots down your missiles and drones and then tells you a response will be coming and you have no idea when or where it will be, or WHAT it would be, I'd be feeling pretty nervous about now if I was a Houthi fighter. I just can't buy that it's a coincidence given how the regional powers feel about each other that an Iranian proxy group is firing missiles without Iranian approval, tacit or not.

I do think Iran moving their ballistic missiles around is just them puffing their chests out, but what I can't really figure out is who that message is meant to be delivered to. Israel, I guess? But it's hard to imagine either Israel or the US getting intimidated by something like that from a non-nuclear power. So I guess my question is, what the hell is Iran doing and for whose benefit?

Well yeah, that's the point of making an ambiguous maybe-threat like that. I'm too ignorant about the region to speculate about what Iran is trying to achieve though. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

daslog posted:

I was driving home about 30 minutes ago and the BBC was interviewing an Israeli spokesman (XM Satellite Radio). The spokesman said that Israel allowed 6 fuel trucks into Gaza yesterday so the hospitals could have power, but Hamas stole the fuel. None of this surprises me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has heard or read about this?

Got any proof? Or do you just want to debate and discuss a rumor?