Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

let us know what you think!

*~*~*~*~*~*~
IF YOU'RE READING THIS THE BXTCH FELL OF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Franchescanado posted:

Haven't read them all, but Horrorstor is the weakest of these.

This is great to hear, I enjoyed Horrorstor despite its flaws and will pick up some of his other titles now. It's campy fun and exactly what I want in a horror book, spooky but not keeping me up at night.

Just finished The Luminous Dead and great recommendation from a few pages back. Just the right pacing to keep the tension going from almost start to finish.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Kerro posted:

I haven't read the ones you named, so not sure if these quite meet the request but these are all great and all have local kids who end up intertwined in stuff happening involving possible serial killings:

Robert Mccammon Boy's Life
Catriona Ward Looking Glass Sound
Ronald Malfi December Park

thanks! I really enjoyed Robert Mccammon's Boy's Life, just finished it

thanks everyone else for the suggestions too

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, there’s a new Hendrix out?

I love Final Girl’s Support Group, but Exorcism and We Sold Souls have chokeholds in my brain. They’re all pretty good!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kestral posted:

Picked up Datlow's Best Horror of the Year Vol. 1, which covers 2008ish, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it begins with a 40ish page overview of the horror genre from the previous year by a person who seems to read (maybe literally?) every horror novel and short story on the market. I wasn't keeping track of horror for several years on either side of 2008, so there was a lot there for me to add to my terrifyingly deep backlog. Looking forward to getting into the actual stories, but this was a good start.

But since I also needed an audiobook for after I finish my daily allotment of A Night in the Lonesome October, I started on The Complete Ghost Stories of M.R. James, read by David Collings.

Jesus.

I'd never read a James story, and now I wish I'd gotten to him a decade or two earlier. It spooked me badly with the sun pouring in through an open window while shaving, so I'm pretty sure I've just ruled it out as something to listen to at night while jogging on empty streets.

I wish more people were writing in this vein now. I'm increasingly weary of allegory and thinly-veiled metaphor, I don't want the ghost to actually be how hosed up your relationship with your mom was. Give me more stories about people's encounters with inexplicable wrongness beneath the skin of the world, with no more point to them than to make your skin crawl and give you a powerful urge to avoid looking in a darkened mirror at night.

Incredible username-regdate-post combo, I am genuinely in awe.

M. R. James was a brilliant academic who eventually became Chancellor of the university of Cambridge. When that became too much for him, he semi-retired to become the Headmaster of Eton College, England's poshest and most prestigious private school. He was a very busy man who wrote his stories as a hobby. He took a year (!) over every one, meticulously revising and revising them in his free time until he was completely happy with the output. They're probably the most carefully polished short stories in the English language and his annual unveiling of the new one became a much-anticipated event. So yeah, there's a reason they're such a strikingly unsettling read.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He'd first read his new story out loud to a select group of friends and colleagues. When you read an M.R. James story, think of it being narrated in front of a blazing fire, in an ancient university common room, by a chatty and dryly humorous academic, detailing unspeakable horrors in between draws on his tobacco pipe and sips of his sherry.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

MrMojok posted:

I had not heard of Grady Hendrix. Thanks to this thread I looked him up, and immediately found a few titles that sounded really interesting to me.

The Final Girl Support Group

How to Sell a Haunted House

We Sold Our Souls

Horrorstör

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires

I kind of want to read all of these, but can probably only get one right now.

I’m really intrigued by The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. Has anyone read this?

Is the titular vampire a “conventional” one? What I mean by that is, it’s not a Twilight style “sparkly” kind of one, is it?

i like hendrix a lot. and yes, the southern book club guide is a traditional vampire story, more akin to salem's lot than twilight.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Finished Wounds.

All the stories were pretty good and the opposite of what I got from NALM.

The world building was great, I can see why visible filth was picked up for a movie, it's the only story with enough character development plus an arc to actually work.

The butchers table felt like pirates of the Caribbean but with hell cults.

4/5, I'll check his other stuff out too.

There's been so much talk about Grady Hendrix I picked up Satan Loves You, just to see the begging. Its incredibly casual tone makes it a total breeze to fly through and it's a fun romp that I needed as a brain cleanser before reading more horror.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Butcher's Table would make an amazing movie if someone were willing to put the time and money into it, which isn't going to happen

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Butcher's Table would make an amazing movie if someone were willing to put the time and money into it, which isn't going to happen

It seems like the kind of thing that Panos Cosmatos would read and obsess about until he forced a movie into existence, which would be either amazing or terrible depending on your tolerance for his, uh, unique style

thank you luvcow for the sig

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Opopanax posted:

I think it's possible. North American Lake Monsters was adapted into a Hulu series Monsterland, and The Visible Filth was made into a movie.

Now, if it does get adapted, will they do it justice? I doubt that anyone can do it justice. However, I could also imagine it as an animated series - the voice actor they had on the audio version is incredible.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Any other recs in the genre of nautical adventures that turn dark and insane? The Butcher's Table and The Other Side of the Mountain are the two high points that I'm always chasing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ror posted:

Any other recs in the genre of nautical adventures that turn dark and insane? The Butcher's Table and The Other Side of the Mountain are the two high points that I'm always chasing.

The Boats of the Glen Carrig by William Hope Hodgson is more weird than dark, but a fun read.

War...
War never changes.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If you consider deep undersea science facility to be nautical there’s always The Deep by Nick Cutter

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I feel like I'm striking out this season. Best I've managed was a slightly spooky fantasy novel, Nettle and Bone by Kingfisher. As well written and engaging as all her stuff is, but not unsettling enough, not like Hollow Places. Sort of the same for How to Sell a Haunted House by Hendrix, fine but didn't leave me unnerved. Ditto The Anomoly and The Possession by Michael Rutger, cool books but not the bone deep disquiet I was hoping for. Then I DNF'd at about 90% Sunshine by Robin McKinley which I was kind of digging at first, cool world building, proper creepy vampires, but the main character is written taking these constant mid sentence digressions that last for paragraphs about nothing pertinent and it kept getting worse and I just couldn't be arsed anymore. Also pulled These Lifeless Things by Premee Mohamed off the second chance pile but only made it another 10% or so before I decided it's no me or my mood, I just really hate the protagonist.

All I've got left in horror pile is Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry.

Anyone hit upon some recentish novel length cosmic or monster horror that left you needing to be around people you trust?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm about halfway through HEX, which was recommended in the OP, and it's great. Such a unique concept and really tense when the tense parts hit.
The basic premise is that it's about a town under a witch's curse, except they've been under the curse for 300 years so its almost mundane for them, and they have all kinds of policies and procedures for it, even an app to deal with her. Things of course change and go wrong and that's where the meat of the story, but it's definitely not like anything I've read before

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Opopanax posted:

I'm about halfway through HEX, which was recommended in the OP, and it's great. Such a unique concept and really tense when the tense parts hit.
Hex was rad as hell. The ending hits hard, I loved that it shifted gradually but strongly from that almost comedic opening tone to just pitch black despair. And thanks for prompting me to check on TOH, apparently his other books are finally getting translated to English (Echo and Oracle sometime next year), so sweet, I got a book to read now. I have no idea why I didn't check on that earlier this year when I was watching him compete on The Genius Game (NL)

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 19, 2023

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

If you consider deep undersea science facility to be nautical there’s always The Deep by Nick Cutter

I don't think The Deep is a particularly good book, but even if you're into what it's serving up the plot is nothing like The Butcher's Table or The Other Side of the Mountain. It's cramped and claustrophobic throughout as opposed to being about (horrific) seafaring adventures.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Cutter's The Deep was super disappointing after The Troop. That was really good isolation/survival body horror, so to follow up with a book where it's mostly 'am I hallucinating or not' non-committal horror put me off reading anything more by him.

I don't really want to recommend it, but a good portion of That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley was proper nautical, if a little Cthulhu Mythos played completely straight. I found that book through the Stoker award noms, and then after I finished it I got as far as checking the author's wikipedia page to see what else he'd written and then spent like half an hour going what the gently caress, this is the same person?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slyphic posted:

I don't really want to recommend it, but a good portion of That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley was proper nautical, if a little Cthulhu Mythos played completely straight. I found that book through the Stoker award noms, and then after I finished it I got as far as checking the author's wikipedia page to see what else he'd written and then spent like half an hour going what the gently caress, this is the same person?

Yeah I had one of this guy's books on my backlog and just deleted it when I found out who he was.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
In college, he was ranked #72 in GQ’s list of 100 Hottest White Men in Alabama, but the magazine retracted that award because of voter fraud.[citation needed]

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He's back, baby!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Interested in reading something else from him. Camp Damascus had some beautiful prose in it but I found the resolution of the story (mostly the second half of the book) a letdown.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hi. I read books. Mostly horror. Maybe y'all heard of some of them? If not, give them a try.

House of Cotton by Monica Brashears [Black american woman]
genres and themes gothic, horror, paranormal?

quote:

Magnolia Brown is nineteen years old, broke, and effectively an orphan. She feels stuck and haunted: by her overdrawn bank account, her predatory landlord, and the ghost of her late grandmother Mama Brown.
One night, while working at her dead-end gas station job, a mysterious, slick stranger named Cotton walks in and offers to turn Magnolia’s luck around with a lucrative “modeling” job at his family’s funeral home. She accepts. But despite things looking up, Magnolia’s problems fatten along with her wallet. When Cotton’s requests become increasingly weird, Magnolia discovers there’s a lot more at stake than just her rent.

I don't understand gothic books. But this was creepy and weird and I liked it. What the hell. Have I posted about this before? Well whatever.

Cassilda's Song: Tales Inspired by Robert W. Chambers King in Yellow Mythos anthology edited by Joseph S. Pulver Sr.
genres and themes YELLOW.

quote:

Cassilda’s Song is a collection of weird fiction and horror stories based on the King in Yellow Mythos created by Robert W. Chambers—entirely authored by women. There are no pretenders here. The Daughters of the Yellow Sign, each a titan of unmasked fire in their own right, have parted the curtains. From Hali’s deeps and Carcosa’s gloomy balconies and Styx-black towers, come their lamentations and rage and the consequences of intrigues and follies born in Oblivion. Run into their embrace. Their carriages wait to take you from shadowed rooms and cobble­stones to The Place Where the Black Stars Hang.
The 1895 release of Chambers’ best-remembered work of weird fiction was salted with nihilism and ennui, and ripe with derangement, haunting beauty, and eerie torments. Poe’s influence was present in the core tales and one could easily argue Chambers may have been influenced by the French Decadents and the disquieting transfigura­tions of the Symbolists. All this and more can be said of the works collected in this anthology. Carcosa, accursed and ancient, and cloud-misted Lake of Hali are here. The Hyades sing and the cloud waves break in these tales. The authority of Bierce’s cosmic horror is here. The talismantic Yellow Sign, and the titular ‘hidden’ King, and The Imperial Dynasty of America, will influence and alter you, as they have the accounts by these writers. Cassilda and other unreliable narrators, government-sponsored Lethal Chambers, and the many mysteries of the mythical Play, are boldly represented in these tributes to Chambers.
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
Black Stars on Canvas, a Reproduction in Acrylic by Damien Angelica Walters
She Will Be Raised a Queen by E. Catherine Tobler
Yella by Nicole Cushing
Yellow Bird by Lynda E. Rucker
Exposure by Helen Marshall
Just Beyond Her Dreaming by Mercedes M. Yardley
In the Quad of Project 327 by Chesya Burke
Stones, Maybe by Ursula Pflug
Les Fleurs du Mal by Allyson Bird
While The Black Stars Burn by Lucy A. Snyder
Old Tsah-Hov by Anya Martin
The Neurastheniac by Selena Chambers
Dancing the Mask by Ann K. Schwader
Family by Maura McHugh
Pro Patria! by Nadia Bulkin
Her Beginning is Her End is Her Beginning by E. Catherine Tobler and Damien Angelica Walters
Grave-Worms by Molly Tanzer
Strange is the Night by S.P. Miskowski

I don't remember any specific faves, but I considered it a decent assortment to rec to other people.

Let's Play White short story anthology by Chesya Burke [Black american woman]
genres and themes horror, Blackness in america

quote:

White brings with it dreams of respect, of wealth, of simply being treated as a human being. It's the one thing Walter will never be. But what if he could play white, the way so many others seem to do? Would it bring him privilege or simply deny the pain? The title story in this collection asks those questions, and then moves on to challenge notions of race, privilege, personal choice, and even life and death with equal vigor. From the spectrum spanning despair and hope in "What She Saw When They Flew Away" to the stark weave of personal struggles in "Chocolate Park," Let's Play White speaks with the voices of the overlooked and unheard. "I Make People Do Bad Things" shines a metaphysical light on Harlem's most notorious historical madame, and then, with a deft twist into melancholic humor, "Cue: Change" brings a zombie-esque apocalypse, possibly for the betterment of all mankind.
Gritty and sublime, the stories of Let's Play White feature real people facing the worlds they're given, bringing out the best and the worst of what it means to be human. If you're ready to slip into someone else's skin for a while, then it's time to come play white.
Contents
We Wear the Mask
Walter and the Three-Legged King
Purse
I Make People Do Bad Things
The Unremembered
Chocolate Park
What She Saw When They Flew Away
He Who Takes the Pain Away
CUE: Change
The Room Where Ben Disappeared
The Light of Cree
The Teachings and Redemption of Ms. Fannie Lou Mason

Everyone needs more Black horror in their lives. Get some flavor for yourself. I loved 'The Room Where Ben Disappeared' that was loving creepy.

Wild Spaces by S. L. Coney [white american]
genres and themes eldritch horror, coming of age,

quote:

Robert R. McCammon’s Boy’s Life meets Lovecraftian horror in this foreboding, sensual coming-of-age debut in which the corrosive nature of family secrets and toxic relatives assume eldritch proportions.
An eleven-year-old boy lives an idyllic childhood exploring the remote coastal plains and wetlands of South Carolina alongside his parents and his dog Teach. But when the boy’s eerie and estranged grandfather shows up one day with no warning, cracks begin to form as hidden secrets resurface that his parents refuse to explain.
The longer his grandfather outstays his welcome and the greater the tension between the adults grows, the more the boy feels something within him changing —physically—into something his grandfather welcomes and his mother fears. Something abyssal. Something monstrous.

This makes me want a Boxcar Children series except aimed for adults and it's all about edlritch horror children growing up in the world. Make sense? Yeah. This was cute, I liked it.

The Bonus Room by Ben H. Winters [white american man]
genres and themes horror, location horror, insect horror, paranormal.

quote:

From New York Times best-selling and Edgar Award-winning author Ben H. Winters, this supernatural page-turner about a real-estate nightmare will make you think twice about your dream home
Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment in a gorgeous Brooklyn brownstone.
Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric. And the elderly handyman drops some cryptic remarks about the basement. But the rent is so low, it’s too good to pass up.
Big mistake. Susan awakens every morning with fresh bug bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter, Emma, has a single welt. An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she’s going mad—until she makes a chilling discovery in the bonus room.
Filled with Hitchcockian suspense, The Bonus Room is a horrifying tale of a dream home that becomes a nightmare.

Finally, some decent insect horror.

Where I End by Sophie White [white irish woman]
genres and themes generational horror, caregiver burn out, scapegoats, child abuse, generational abuse,

quote:

My mother.
At night, my mother creaks. The house creaks along with her.
Through our thin shared wall, I can hear the makings of my mother gurgle through her body just like the water in the walls of the house…
Teenage Aoileann has never left the island. Her silent, bed-bound mother is a wreckage, the survivor of a private disaster no one will speak about.
Aoileann desperately wants a family, and when Sarah and her three young children move to the island, Aoileann finds a focus for her relentless love.
A horror story about being bound by the blood knot of family.

A book that reminds me genres doesn't real. This is more gothic than horror but it's still loving weird. If you like weird isolated locales with hosed up inhabitants doing terrible things to each other for no loving reason, here you go. It's no gore porn though.

13 Doors by G J Phelps [white british man]
genre and theme, horror, generational trauma, paranormal.

quote:

Thirteen doors, thirteen hauntings. News reporter Joe Baxter has a plan. His idea is simple – to use his newsroom contacts across England to find thirteen haunted places to stay, and then record his experiences in a book.

Kinda sort of like Thirteen Doors by Craig DiLouie. I appreciated the variety of locations and the ghosts involved.

Dead Lake by Darcy Coates
genres and themes forest horror, supernatural, isolation horror.

quote:

From bestselling horror author Darcy Coates comes Dead Lake, a cabin in the woods thriller that will make you double-check your locks at night. Because no one is ever truly alone...Dead Lake is a chilling, fast-paced read: Perfect for fans of Paul Tremblay and Amy CrossFor lovers of horror and ghost storiesIncludes 4 bonus storiesA week's visit to the remote Harob Lake cabin couldn't have come at a better time for Sam.
She's battling artist's block ahead of a major gallery exhibition. Staying at the lake house is her final, desperate attempt to paint the collection that could save her floundering career. It seems perfect: no neighbors, no phone, no distractions.
But the dream retreat disintegrates into a nightmare when Sam sees a stranger by the lake.
A tall, mysterious man stands on the edge of her dock, staring intently into the swirling waters below. He starts to follow her. He disables her car. He destroys her only way to communicate with the outside world. And something about the man seems... unnatural.
Soon Sam suspects he's responsible for the series of disappearances from a nearby hiking trail.
Completely stranded, Sam realizes she's become the prey in the hunter's deadliest game...

A rather short book. Novella, I suppose? Oh Coates. You aren't the best ever, but you are consistent and skilled and I respect that in an author.

Burn the Negative by Josh Winning [white british man]
genres and themes horror, haunted film, hollywood, childhood trauma, curses.

quote:

In this incendiary mash-up of horror and suspense, a notorious slasher film is remade…and the curse that haunted it is reawakened.
Arriving in L.A. to visit the set of a new streaming horror series, journalist Laura Warren witnesses a man jumping from a bridge, landing right behind her car. Here we go, she thinks. It’s started. Because the series she’s reporting on is a remake of a ’90s horror flick. A cursed ’90s horror flick, which she starred in as a child—and has been running from her whole life.

In The Guesthouse, Laura played the little girl with the terrifying gift to tell people how the Needle Man would kill them. When eight of the cast and crew died in ways that eerily mirrored the movie’s on-screen deaths, the film became a cult classic—and ruined her life. Leaving it behind, Laura changed her name and her accent, dyed her hair, and moved across the Atlantic. But some scripts don’t want to stay buried.
Now, as the body count rises again, Laura finds herself on the run with her aspiring actress sister and a jaded psychic, hoping to end the curse once and for all—and to stay out of the Needle Man’s lethal reach.

Don't expect Night Film or Experimental Film, per se. It's definitely a great mystery about a cursed film. I appreciated the lack of CSA. It could have been very easy to go ah, trauma from sexual abuse therefore murder time!

Dead Eleven by Jimmy Juliano [white american man]
genres and themes horror, location horror, grief,

quote:

On a creepy island where everyone has a strange obsession with the year 1994, a newcomer arrives, hoping to learn the truth about her son’s death—but finds herself pulled deeper and deeper into the bizarrely insular community and their complicated rules…

Clifford Island. When Willow Stone finds these words written on the floor of her deceased son’s bedroom, she’s perplexed. She’s never heard of it before, but soon learns it’s a tiny island off Wisconsin’s Door County peninsula, 200 miles from Willow’s home. Why would her son write this on his floor? Determined to find answers, Willow sets out for the island.

After a few days on Clifford, Willow realizes: This place is not normal. Everyone seems to be stuck in a particular day in 1994: They wear outdated clothing, avoid modern technology, and, perhaps most mystifyingly, watch the OJ Simpson car chase every evening. When she asks questions, people are evasive, but she learns one thing: Close your curtains at night.

High schooler Lily Becker has lived on Clifford her entire life, and she is sick of the island’s twisted mythology and adhering to the rules. She’s been to the mainland, and everyone is normal there, so why is Clifford so weird? Lily is determined to prove that the islanders’ beliefs are a sham. But are they?
Five weeks after Willow arrives on the island, she disappears. Willow’s brother, Harper, comes to Clifford searching for his sister, and when he learns the truth—that this island is far more sinister than anyone could have imagined—he is determined to blow the whole thing open.
If he can get out alive….

This is the first nosleep author I've read on purpose that isn't garbage. The plot honestly wasn't bad. I was expecting something cheesy, a la 'Horrorstor'. I thought the monsters, shapeshifting tricksters, was pretty interesting. The threat and logic the 'bad guys' used was pretty reasonable, even.

The Devil's Playground by Craig Russell [white british retired police officer]
genres and themes crime, historical, horror, cursed films, old school hollywood, cults.

quote:

A riveting 1920s Hollywood thriller about the making of the most terrifying silent film ever made, and a deadly search for the single copy rumored still to exist, from the internationally acclaimed author of The Devil Aspect.

1927: Mary Rourke—a Hollywood studio fixer—is called urgently to the palatial home of Norma Carlton, one of the most recognizable stars in American silent film. Norma has been working on the secret film everyone is openly talking about… a terrifying horror picture called The Devil’s Playground that is rumored to have unleashed a curse on everyone involved in the production. Mary finds Norma’s cold, dead body, and she wonders for just a moment if these dark rumors could be true.

1967: Paul Conway, a journalist and self-professed film aficionado, is on the trail of a tantalizing rumor. He has heard that a single copy of The Devil’s Playground—a Holy Grail for film buffs—may exist. He knows his Hollywood history and he knows the film endured myriad tragedies and ended up lost to time.

The Devil’s Playground is Craig Russell’s tour de force, a richly researched and constructed thriller that weaves through the Golden Age of Hollywood and reveals a blossoming industry built on secrets, invented identities, and a desperate pursuit of image. As Mary Rourke charges headlong through the egos, distractions, and traps that threaten to take her down with the doomed production, she discovers a truth far more sinister than she—or we—could have imagined.

I really need to start a list or calibre tag for cursed films. Film horror? How would I describe this.... Anyways, it's a crime and mystery genre, flavored with cults, old boy's club abuse, copaganda, and some mild folk horror.

Fair warning. If you read his other book, The Devil Aspect, and hated the ending, this may disappoint you.

The Family Plot by Cherie Priest [white american woman]
genres and themes horror, haunted houses, mysteries, location horror.

quote:

Music City Salvage is owned and operated by Chuck Dutton: master stripper of doomed historic properties and expert seller of all things old and crusty. Business is lean and times are tight, so he’s thrilled when the aged and esteemed Augusta Withrow appears in his office. She has a massive family estate to unload―lock, stock, and barrel. For a check and a handshake, it’s all his.
It’s a big check. It’s a firm handshake. And it’s enough of a gold mine that he assigns his daughter Dahlia to personally oversee the project.
Dahlia and a small crew caravan down to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where the ancient Withrow house is waiting―and so is a barn, a carriage house, and a small, overgrown cemetery that Augusta Withrow left out of the paperwork.
Augusta Withrow left out a lot of things.
The property is in unusually great shape for a condemned building. It’s empty, but Dahlia and the crew quickly learn it is far from abandoned. There is still something in the Withrow mansion, something angry and lost, and this is its last chance to raise hell before the house is gone forever.

The plot of destroying haunted houses, and the house fighting back is suprisingly rare, isn't it?

No One Will Come Back for Us short story anthology by Premee Mohamed [canadian hindu woman of color]
genres and themes a lot. It's an anthology.

quote:

Here there be gods and monsters – forged from flesh and stone and vengeance – emerging from the icy abyss of deep space, ascending from dark oceans, and prowling strange cities to enter worlds of chaos and wonder, where scientific rigor and human endeavour is tested to the limits. These are cosmic realms and watery domains where old offerings no longer appease the ancient Gods or the new and hungry idols. Deities and beasts. Life and death. Love and hate. Science and magic. And smiling monsters in human skin.

Premee Mohamed’s debut collection of contemporary cosmic horror and dark fantasy heralds the arrival of a new and vibrant voice on the cutting edge of modern speculative fiction.
Below the Kirk, Below the Hill
Instructions
The Evaluator
At the Hand of Every Beast
The Adventurer’s Wife
The General’s Turn
Sixteen Minutes
Fortunato
The Honeymakers
Four Hours of a Revolution
For Each of These Miseries
Everything as Part of Its Infinite Place
No One Will Come Back For Us
Willing
Us and Ours
The Redoubtables
Quietus

I also read Mohamed's 'Beneath the Rising' trilogy and kinda hated it. I was expecting something different based on this anthology above. That said, she is a fantastic author and I'm adding it here. I feel like the MC from the trilogy was incredibly irritating and something not found in the above anothology. If you disliked the trilogy, maybe give this a shot? Mohamed can write, but three books worth of 'tony stark mcu' and rationally irritating MC can be grating.

Graveyard of Lost Children by Katrina Monroe [white lesbian american woman]
genres and themes horror, pregnancy / child rearing horror???, generational trauma?, misogyny, psychiatric horror, lesbian characters.

quote:

ONCE SHE HAS HER GRIP ON YOU, SHE’LL NEVER LET YOU GO.
At four months old, Olivia Dahl was almost murdered. Driven by haunting visions, her mother became obsessed with the idea that Olivia was a changeling, and that the only way to get her real baby back was to make a trade with the “dead women” living at the bottom of the well. Now Olivia is ready to give birth to a daughter of her own… and for the first time, she hears the women whispering.

Everyone tells Olivia she should be happy. She should be glowing, but the birth of her daughter only fills Olivia with dread. As Olivia’s body starts giving out, slowly deteriorating as the baby eats and eats and eats, she begins to fear that the baby isn’t her daughter at all and, despite her best efforts, history is repeating itself.
Soon images of a black-haired woman plague Olivia’s nightmares, drawing her back to the well that almost claimed her life—tying mother and daughter together in a desperate cycle of fear and violence that must be broken if Olivia has any hope of saving her child… or herself.

Is pregnancy / child rearing horror becoming a thing? I like it. I love the metaphors and allegories and whatnots involved. Not just changelings but oh yeah post partum psychosis except no except maybe except yes?

Children of Chicago by Cynthia Pelayo [latina american woman]
genres and themes crime, suspense, copaganda, otherworlds?, supernatural, pied piper fairy tale, serial killers,

quote:

The novel centers upon Lauren, a detective living in the city of Chicago. She's called in to investigate a murder in Humboldt Park, only to discover that the murder bears striking similarities to one committed decades before: Lauren's own sister. This, along with several other signs, convinces Lauren that the serial killer responsible for the deaths has returned to Chicago. Known only as the Pied Piper, Lauren must confront the past - including a promise she made to the killer themself - in order to stop them from killing again.

Honorary mention, I guess. It was too much Crime and not enough horror for me. Also the horror was a bit dry. Maybe if someone likes crime with a pied piper horror flavor, you'd like this book?

Boys in the Valley by Philip Fracassi [white american man]
genres and themes horror, catholicism, orphanages, demonic possession, coming of age.

quote:

St. Vincent's Orphanage for Boys.
Turn of the century, in a remote valley in Pennsylvania.
Here, under the watchful eyes of several priests, 30 boys work and learn and worship. They live their lives in a methodical way and get along despite different personalities and pasts. Peter Barlow, orphaned by a nighttime murder at his childhood home, has made a new life here. As he approaches adulthood, he has friends, a future…a family.
Then, late one stormy night, a group of men arrive at their door, one of whom is badly wounded, his body covered with occult symbols carved into his flesh. Upon his death, an ancient evil is released that infests St. Vincent's and the children within. Soon, boys begin acting differently, forming groups. Taking sides.
Others turn up dead.
Now Peter and those dear to him must choose sides of their own, each of them knowing their lives — and perhaps their eternal souls — are at risk.

I don't like vampires. Them and werewolves are boring. This was decent, I had fun with it. I liked the gorey murders, it was very Village of the Damned [1960]. How many children can you take in a fight?

Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie [white american man]
genres and themes horror, apocalypses, vampires, disease horror

quote:

Suffer the Children presents a terrifying tale of apocalyptic fiction, as readers are introduced to Herod's Syndrome, a devastating illness that suddenly and swiftly kills all young children across the globe. Soon, they return from the grave…and ask for blood. And with blood, they stop being dead. They continue to remain the children they once were...but only for a short time, as they need more blood to live. The average human body holds ten pints of blood, so the inevitable question for parents everywhere becomes: How far would you go to bring your child back?

This book was better than his other book, Episode Thirteen. Again, I dislike vampires but this was an interesting scientific take on vampirism. Also I loved that there's a vampire fetus. Finally, more child / fetus horror!

Liquid Snakes by Stephen Kearse [Black american man]
genres science fictio-- uh I mean science horror, apocalypses, climate change, afrofuturism, dystopias,

quote:

What if toxic pollutants traveled up the socioeconomic ladder rather than down it? A Black biochemist provides an answer in this wildly original novel of pollution, poison, and dark pleasure
In Atlanta, Kenny Bomar is a biochemist-turned-coffee-shop-owner in denial about his divorce and grieving his stillborn daughter. Chemicals killed their child, leaching from a type of plant the government is hiding in Black neighborhoods. Kenny’s coping mechanisms are likewise chemical and becoming more baroque—from daily injections of lethal snake venom to manufacturing designer drugs. As his grief turns corrosive, it taints every person he touches.
Black epidemiologists Retta and Ebonee are called to the scene when a mysterious black substance is found to have killed a high school girl. Investigating these “blackouts” sends the women down separate paths of blame and retribution as two seemingly disparate narratives converge in a cinematic conclusion.
Liquid Snakes is an immersive, white-knuckle ride with the spookiness of speculative fiction and the propulsion of binge-worthy shows like FX’s Atlanta and HBO’s Random Acts of Flyness. Transfiguring a whodunit plot into a labyrinthine reinterpretation of a crime procedural, Stephen Kearse offers an uncanny commentary on an alternative world, poisoned.

It's actually science fiction but it's horrific and my post so I'm adding it here.

The September House by Carissa Orlando [white american woman]
genres and themes haunted houses, generational trauma, family abuse, alcoholism, domestic abuse, paranormal,

quote:

A woman is determined to stay in her dream home even after it becomes a haunted nightmare in this compulsively readable, twisty, and layered debut novel.

When Margaret and her husband Hal bought the large Victorian house on Hawthorn Street—for sale at a surprisingly reasonable price—they couldn’t believe they finally had a home of their own. Then they discovered the hauntings. Every September, the walls drip blood. The ghosts of former inhabitants appear, and all of them are terrified of something that lurks in the basement. Most people would flee.

Margaret is not most people.

Margaret is staying. It’s her house. But after four years Hal can’t take it anymore, and he leaves abruptly. Now, he’s not returning calls, and their daughter Katherine—who knows nothing about the hauntings—arrives, intent on looking for her missing father. To make things worse, September has just begun, and with every attempt Margaret and Katherine make at finding Hal, the hauntings grow more harrowing, because there are some secrets the house needs to keep.

This is such a good depiction of abuse and the mark it leaves of families. The author is a psychologist, so it's no surprise. I really love the plot twist, and how being a survivor of domestic abuse allows the main character to survive in this haunted house.

Rouge by Mona Awad [canadian woman of color]
Genre and themes horror, internalized racism / colorism, cults, memory loss, medical abuse, supernatural, gothic, vaguely fairy tale esque?

quote:

From the critically acclaimed author of Bunny comes a horror-tinted, gothic fairy tale about a lonely dress shop clerk whose mother’s unexpected death sends her down a treacherous path in pursuit of youth and beauty. Can she escape her mother’s fate—and find a connection that is more than skin deep?

For as long as she can remember, Belle has been insidiously obsessed with her skin and skincare videos. When her estranged mother Noelle mysteriously dies, Belle finds herself back in Southern California, dealing with her mother’s considerable debts and grappling with lingering questions about her death. The stakes escalate when a strange woman in red appears at the funeral, offering a tantalizing clue about her mother’s demise, followed by a cryptic video about a transformative spa experience. With the help of a pair of red shoes, Belle is lured into the barbed embrace of La Maison de Méduse, the same lavish, culty spa to which her mother was devoted. There, Belle discovers the frightening secret behind her (and her mother’s) obsession with the mirror—and the great shimmering depths (and demons) that lurk on the other side of the glass.

Snow White meets Eyes Wide Shut in this surreal descent into the dark side of beauty, envy, grief, and the complicated love between mothers and daughters. With black humor and seductive horror, Rouge explores the cult-like nature of the beauty industry—as well as the danger of internalizing its pitiless gaze. Brimming with California sunshine and blood-red rose petals, Rouge holds up a warped mirror to our relationship with mortality, our collective fixation with the surface, and the wondrous, deep longing that might lie beneath.

This is one of my favorites of the year. What a loving weird creepy fantastic book. If you liked Ling Ling Huang’s book, Natural Beauty, you’ll love this. Absolutely unique books but has that amazing body image flavored horror.

Natural Beauty by Ling Ling Huang [Chinese american woman]
genre and themes body horror, cults, racial horror, medical abuse, fertility abuse.

quote:

Sly, surprising, and razor-sharp, Natural Beauty follows a young musician into an elite, beauty-obsessed world where perfection comes at a staggering cost.

Our narrator produces a sound from the piano no one else at the Conservatory can. She employs a technique she learned from her parents—also talented musicians—who fled China in the wake of the Cultural Revolution. But when an accident leaves her parents debilitated, she abandons her future for a job at a high-end beauty and wellness store in New York City.

Holistik is known for its remarkable products and procedures—from remoras that suck out cheap Botox to eyelash extensions made of spider silk—and her new job affords her entry into a world of privilege and gives her a long-awaited sense of belonging. She becomes transfixed by Helen, the niece of Holistik’s charismatic owner, and the two strike up a friendship that hazily veers into more. All the while, our narrator is plied with products that slim her thighs, smooth her skin, and lighten her hair. But beneath these creams and tinctures lies something sinister.

A piercing, darkly funny debut, Natural Beauty explores questions of consumerism, self-worth, race, and identity—and leaves readers with a shocking and unsettling truth.

Holy hell this book. I had no idea how well plastic surgery could be made into body horror. The commentary on race in america was fantastic. If the summary appeals to you, go read this book right now.

Check out this quote. Maybe CW for body horror? Definitely for some medical content.

quote:

Weekly vernix facial wraps, a treatment that, besides looking and smelling awful, costs thousands of dollars per session. Monthly stoma vacuum sealing, which closes her pores. The ones that remain, she enlarges and embeds with diamonds so that, upon first glance, she looks to be freckled with the cosmos. She gets the same orthodontic procedure that Saje gets to maintain her Madonna tooth gap. She even gets a pubic hair transplant every few weeks, one of our most painful procedures, exchanging her natural coarse hairs for mink implants.

Fair warning. There is major sexual abuse / fertility abuse. It’s explicit, so check reviews or for content warnings if you need that.

In Bloom (Creature Feature collection) by Paul Tremblay [white american man]
Genres and themes father son relationships, monsters, supernatural, location horror, climate change horror [is that a thing],

quote:

There’s something in the water in this hallucinatory short story by Paul Tremblay, bestselling author of The Cabin at the End of the World and The Beast You Are.
Journalist Heidi Cohen is in Cape Cod investigating the sources of recurring toxic algae blooms along the coast. A local named Jimmy has his own theory for her. Every year the fetid growth gets worse—but it’s been going on longer than anyone knows. Decades ago, something happened to Jimmy that he’s never forgotten. Is Heidi ready for the real story?

It's a short story, but I really liked the ambiguous story being told. The ending kinda... meh.

It Waits in the Woods by Josh Malerman (Creature Feature collection) [white american man]
genres and themes fairy tales, monsters, forest horror, grief.

quote:

Some chilling campfire tales ring too true to ignore. For one young woman, an urban legend calls her into the woods in a spine-tingling short story by the bestselling author of Bird Box.

The dense Michigan forest. Haunting wails. The clip-clop of demon hooves on a bridge to nowhere. It’s more than a tall tale to Brenda Jennings, whose sister disappeared in those woods one fateful night. Three years later, on a solo stakeout in the dark, Brenda goes in after her. She’s desperate for answers, and terrified to find what lies waiting on the other side of that bridge.

As far as forest horror goes, not bad. I half wish it was a full length book, but I appreciate that it says enough as a short story.

The Invisible World by Nora Fussner [white american woman]
genres and themes horror, paranormal, poltergheists, telekinesis, mild unreality, strained marriages.

quote:

Eve is a frustrated young artist and the owner of what she believes is a haunted house. Sandra is an overworked producer at Searching for . . . the Invisible World, a paranormal investigations show perpetually on the brink of cancelation.
When the show descends upon Eve’s home, they’re intent on creating just another staged spectacle. But, unexpectedly, the crew encounters some very real activity—shelves collapse, electronics go haywire, a cameraman disappears in the dead of night. Meanwhile, the show’s teenage ghost hunter Caitlin is caught up in the unexplained events, convinced she’s glimpsing the “other side” and desperate to make contact—even if it means putting the investigation, and herself, in jeopardy.
As the terror mounts, it’s up to the show’s harried, skeptical producer, Sandra, to create order from the madness—or will the madness take her, too?

If you read Trembley's A Head Full of Ghosts and hated it you might not like this. This is not as ambiguous, but it feels in the same vein. It's more rooted in reality than DiLouie's Episode Thirteen.

Knock Knock, Open Wide by Neil Sharpson [white irish man]
Genre and themes is horror, changelings, generational trauma, human sacrifices, irish folk tales, supernatural, eldritch gods, cults.

quote:

Knock Knock, Open Wide weaves horror and Celtic myth into a terrifying, heartbreaking supernatural tale of fractured family bonds, the secrets we carry, and the veiled forces that guide Irish life.
Driving home late one night, Etain Larkin finds a corpse on a pitch-black country road deep in the Irish countryside. She takes the corpse to a remote farmhouse. So begins a night of unspeakable horror that will take her to the very brink of sanity.
She will never speak of it again.
Two decades later, Betty Fitzpatrick, newly arrived at college in Dublin, has already fallen in love with the drama society, and the beautiful but troubled Ashling Mallen. As their relationship blossoms, Ashling goes to great lengths to keep Betty away from her family, especially her alcoholic mother, Etain.
As their relationship blossoms, Betty learns her lover’s terrifying family history, and Ashling’s secret obsession. Ashling has become convinced that the horrors inflicted on her family are connected to a seemingly innocent children’s TV show. Everyone in Ireland watched this show in their youth, but Ash soon discovers that no one remembers it quite the same way. And only Ashling seems to remember its star: a small black goat puppet who lives in a box and only comes out if you don’t behave. They say he’s never come out.
Almost never.
When the door between the known and unknown opens, it can never close again.

Hey did you read that book, Mister Magic by Kiersten White? Were you also disappointed it felt like a crummy, racist Candle Cove rip off? Well this is not at all like that. It does deal with a creepy supernatural childrens television show, but it has so much more depth and creepiness to it. I loved the creepy priest and modernization of ancient agricultural(?) cults.

Mister Magic by Kiersten White [white american woman]

quote:

Who is Mister Magic? Former child stars reunite to uncover the tragedy that ended their show – and discover the secret of its enigmatic host – in this dark supernatural thriller from the No. 1 New York Times bestselling author of Hide.
Thirty years after a tragic accident shut down production of the classic children’s program Mister Magic, the five surviving cast members have done their best to move on. But just as generations of cultishly devoted fans still cling to the lessons they learned from the show, the cast, known as the Circle of Friends, have spent their lives searching for the happiness they felt while they were on it. The friendship. The feeling of belonging. And the protection of Mister Magic.
But with no surviving video of the show, no evidence of who directed or produced it, and no records of who – or what – the beloved host actually was, memories are all the former circle of friends have.
Then a twist of fate brings the castmates back together at the remote desert filming compound that feels like it’s been waiting for them all this time. Even though they haven’t seen each other for years, they somehow understand one another better than anyone has since.
After all, they’re the only ones who hold the secret of that circle, the mystery of the magic man in his infinitely black cape, and, maybe, the answers to what really happened on that deadly last day. But as the Circle of Friends reclaim parts of their past, they begin to wonder: Are they here by choice, or have they been lured into a trap?
Because magic never forgets the taste of your friendship. . . .

I hated this. I wanted to like it. Maybe someone else will like it. Fair warning, it’s Young Adult genre.

I disliked it because it turned out it was a way for the author to work through their experiences with the Mormon cult and leaving it. Which ok, great for them. But as a book it did not thrill me. Major plot spoilers Ok listen I do not want the sole Black character to all victim to the evil 'not mormon' racism cult. But if the evil racism cult is using a white person with racist white values to perpetuate whiteness, it makes no drat sense to have the white woman be new eldritch god of the television cult. Like she's white, she's been socially isolated, she has no loving clue what racism is. So how is she going to reprogram via the haunted child's tv show if she doesn't know the first thing about reversing or fighting against the decades long white supremist brainwashing? It feels very white feminist to me, and completely pointless.

But anyways, as far as Candle Cove but with the serial numbers filed off, it's not bad. Not the best. I wish it had done more with that concept besides 'drat this isolated house is kinda empty like a film set oh well whatever.'

Midnight Showing by Megan Shepherd, Book 2 of the Malice Compendium and sequel to Malice House
Genre and things are horror, supernatural, fiction becomes reality, old school hollywood films

quote:

Discovering her father’s strange final manuscript has brought only mayhem and darkness to Haven Marbury’s life. In Book Two of the Malice Compendium, what has leapt of the page threatens everybody.
Now both hunter and prey, Haven travels far and wide to discover the contours of her family curse and escape the worst of her late father’s creations. Constantly looking over her shoulder, she fears Uncle Arnold the most. His irresistible whispers compel victims to commit horrifying deeds, and he’s hungry to use Haven’s abilities to rewrite the world to his liking.

Drawn to the desert scrublands and Hollywood mansions of California, Haven discovers a string of murders that point directly to members of her family.

Given shelter by a mysterious benefactor, Haven and her sister forge questionable allegiances, using some otherworldly creatures to hunt down others. And when the trail of death ends at a studio from the Golden Age of horror films, reality and fiction become the strangest of bedfellows indeed.

As far as sequels go, not bad. I liked the mystery of tracing the curse and trying to hide from mind controling sadist, Uncle Arnold. If you liked the previous book, I think you’ll like this one.

Last to Leave the Room by Caitlin Starling [white american woman. She wrote Yellow Jessmine, The Death of Jane Lawrence, and The Luminous Dead.
Genres and themes are speculative horror, doppelgangers, architecture horror, mild apocalypses.

quote:

Last to Leave the Room is a new novel of genre-busting speculative horror from Caitlin Starling, the acclaimed author of The Death of Jane Lawrence.
The city of San Siroco is sinking. The basement of Dr. Tamsin Rivers, the arrogant, selfish head of the research team assigned to find the source of the subsidence, is sinking faster.
As Tamsin becomes obsessed with the distorting dimensions of the room at the bottom of the stairs, she finds a door that didnt exist before - and one night, it opens to reveal an exact physical copy of her. This doppelgänger is sweet and biddable where Tamsin is calculating and cruel. It appears fully, terribly human, passing every test Tamsin can devise. But the longer the double exists, the more Tamsin begins to forget pieces of her life, to lose track of time, to grow terrified of the outside world.
With her employer growing increasingly suspicious, Tamsin must try to hold herself together long enough to figure out what her double wants from her, and just where the mysterious door leads

Technically science fiction in my opinion, but it's supposed to be speculative horror. Which ok, sure, genres aren't real sometimes. The insubstantial science irritated me. A lot of the 'science' was just her going to meetings, checking emails, generic repetitive measurement taking, and that's about it. If you want something more such as concrete discussions of technical language and name drops of science fields, look elsewhere. It was ok. The lesbian relationship was a bit disappointed. One I wanted more and Two dipping your vulva into the company ink is some questionable choices. But not enough, frankly, they should've had a full blown affair with manipulative string pulling to get more funding or whatever. Make it REALLY toxic.

Hemlock Island by Kelley Armstrong [white american woman]
genres and themes horror, location horror, eldritch horror, body horror / zombies?, BISEXUAL MAIN CHARACTER!!, Lesbian character!,
[quotes]A standalone horror novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong.
Laney Kilpatrick has been renting her vacation home to strangers. The invasion of privacy gives her panic attacks, but it’s the only way she can keep her beloved Hemlock Island, the only thing she owns after a pandemic-fueled divorce. But broken belongings and campfires that nearly burn down the house have escalated to bloody bones, hex circles, and now, terrified renters who've fled after finding blood and nail marks all over the guest room closet, as though someone tried to claw their way out...and failed.
When Laney shows up to investigate with her teenaged niece in tow, she discovers that her ex, Kit, has also been informed and is there with Jayla, his sister and her former best friend. Then Sadie, another old high school friend, charters over with her brother, who’s now a cop.
There are tensions and secrets, whispers in the woods, and before long, the discovery of a hand poking up from the earth. Then the body that goes with it... But by that time, someone has taken off with their one and only means off the island, and they’re trapped with someone—or something—that doesn’t want them leaving the island alive.[/quote]

Ok gently caress, finally a bisexual main character that feels like an actual bisexual person. And it's in a horror story, wow! Honestly a thrill to see.

Fair warning, there's a plot line of date rape CSA with some victim blaming.

Honorary mention
A Haunting in the Arctic by C. J. Cooke [white british woman]
Genres and themes are historical / contemporary flashbacks, paranormal or supernatural monster [selkie / mermaid?]

quote:

A deserted shipwreck off the coast of Iceland holds terrors and dark secrets in this chilling horror novel from the author of The Lighthouse Witches.
The year is 1901, and Nicky is attacked, then wakes on board the Ormen, a whaling ship embarked on what could be its last voyage. With land still weeks away, its just her, the freezing ocean, and the crew and theyre all owed something only she can give them...
Now, over one hundred years later, the wreck of the Ormen has washed up on the forbidding, remote coast of Iceland. Its scheduled to be destroyed, but explorer Dominique feels an inexplicable pull to document its last days, even though those who have ventured onto the wreck before her have met uncanny ends.
Onboard the boat, Dominique will uncover a dark past riddled with lies, cruelty, and murderand her discovery will change everything. Because shell soon realize shes not alone. Something has walked the floors of the Ormen for almost a century. Something that craves revenge.

I DNF'd because I don't care for rape in stories. I just can't take it seriously, it's often unrealistic and goofy. But if anyone likes a gang rape trauma as a paranormal haunting that might involve hosed up selkies, maybe this is for you? I have no idea what the plot is really like as I stopped at the first rape scene. Someone else read this and report back, thank you.

Oh, and I also read Cutter's 'The Deep'. I thought it was kinda goofy. Not quite a SOMA rip off, but it felt like some inspiration was taken from that. Also it felt like the author didn't know when to stop with the grimdark horror. Ah yes, the is a child abuser but wait! There's more! She's an incestuous child rapist! Also she is fat, because fat is evil!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
semi-relevant

Thomas Olde Heuvelt announced on Twitter today that Catriona Ward is officiating he and his partner's wedding next year.

The Deep started off really fun and just kept going and going and I lost interest in the concept and the characters halfway through and DNFed it. Reading about all the rapey parts makes me relieved I quit when I did.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Dark Matter was really good I finished it in a single sitting and called out of work the next day to sleep in.

I'd love a fantasy horror recommendation if anyone has any. The Aching God trilogy was a lot of fun and left me wanting more.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

faantastic posted:

Dark Matter was really good I finished it in a single sitting and called out of work the next day to sleep in.

I'd love a fantasy horror recommendation if anyone has any. The Aching God trilogy was a lot of fun and left me wanting more.

Since I'm also looking for more recs in this line I'll suggest Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman (assuming you haven't already read it) and the C.L. Moore Jirel of Joiry stories "Black God's Kiss" and "Hellsgarde."

I read the first book in the Aching God trilogy last month and need to pick up the next one. It had a very overt tabletop vibe which I appreciated.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I read the first book in the Aching God trilogy last month and need to pick up the next one. It had a very overt tabletop vibe which I appreciated.

The author writes Pathfinder adventures, so that’s probably where that vibe comes from.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I read My Best Friend's Exorcism yesterday. Do you guys remember the 80s?? Remember Phil Collins????

It was entertaining but not very scary and had a terrible ending.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ I've heard Grady Hendrix described as RL Stine for adults. I've never been able to get into any of his fiction.

So I just choked down as much of Whitley Strieber's Communion as I could, to fulfill a toxx clause, and to apologize for casting the tie-breaking vote to choose a lovely TBB book. It's in the book of the month thread, in the TBB proper forum.

But with that in mind, what is Whitey Strieber's best work of fiction? He's mentioned in Paperbacks from Hell (Hendrix's nonfiction). Is any of his stuff worth reading?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve only read Grady Hendrix’s The Final Girl Support Group, and it was less of a horror story and more of a thrilling adventure story that took place in a world of horror tropes.

(Actually I just learned he cowrote Dirty Candy, which is a cookbook/memoir in comic book form. Not horror, but it is really good.)

Speaking of horror-adjacent, if anyone wants an existentialist horror novella, “A Short Stay In Hell” is amazing. On one hand it’s practically just a fanfic of Borges’ “Library of Babel.” On the other hand, it’s one of the few stories I’ve read that really tries to grapple with eternity. And that’s horrifying. It has stayed with me.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lifg posted:

(Actually I just learned he cowrote Dirty Candy, which is a cookbook/memoir in comic book form. Not horror, but it is really good.)

Hahah, yeah, he’s married to Amanda Cohen. You can see her mentioned in the diegetic acknowledgments at the back of all the books (like he does fake funeral programs or newsletter excerpts instead of writing trad acknowledgments).

(For the uninitiated, Dirt Candy is a Michelin star vegetarian restaurant in New York City owned by Grady Hendrix’s wife, who is also the head chef and concocts the creative menus.)

*~*~*~*~*~*~
IF YOU'RE READING THIS THE BXTCH FELL OF

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Started on A Haunting on the Hill, and so far it's good, but it's really driving home the degree to which the original is a timeless masterpiece. The prose in Hill House is incredible, and even all these years later it doesn't really feel dated. ... on the Hill pins itself very specifically to a certain time - 2023 - and the concerns and aesthetics of that time: lots of vaping, lots of pandemic references, lots people getting priced out of real estate, etc. It's had some genuinely creepy moments already though, and I do love me a ghost story, so I'm strapped in for the ride.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

escape artist posted:

^^ I've heard Grady Hendrix described as RL Stine for adults. I've never been able to get into any of his fiction.

So I just choked down as much of Whitley Strieber's Communion as I could, to fulfill a toxx clause, and to apologize for casting the tie-breaking vote to choose a lovely TBB book. It's in the book of the month thread, in the TBB proper forum.

But with that in mind, what is Whitey Strieber's best work of fiction? He's mentioned in Paperbacks from Hell (Hendrix's nonfiction). Is any of his stuff worth reading?

I think I read The Hunger and Wolfen during adolescence and it was titilating enough for that age. I don't recall anything about them per se, except I had a poster of Bowie playing the cello from the movie adaptation of The Hunger shot in B&W on my wall in the dorms

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

loving hell. I would also like to point out that That Which Should Not Be completely fails to be a horror of any kind because IIRC there's a God and He doesn't like Cthulhu...?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Tried out Brainwyrms by Allison Rumfitt but had to unfortunately dip even before the aforementioned Brain Worms entered the game. I love the theme she explores of just like hurt, broken people finding each other and ripping each other to shreds as they misconstrue what recovery would mean and what sneaks into those gaps, but in Brainwyrms the focus on how that's expressed in abusive sex & abusive relationships was more than I could read in this moment

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

RoboCicero posted:

Tried out Brainwyrms by Allison Rumfitt but had to unfortunately dip even before the aforementioned Brain Worms entered the game. I love the theme she explores of just like hurt, broken people finding each other and ripping each other to shreds as they misconstrue what recovery would mean and what sneaks into those gaps, but in Brainwyrms the focus on how that's expressed in abusive sex & abusive relationships was more than I could read in this moment

Yeah, I'm about 1/3rd in and it's fantastically written but it is absolutely a ton of rough subject matters all piled on top of each other.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

anilEhilated posted:

loving hell. I would also like to point out that That Which Should Not Be completely fails to be a horror of any kind because IIRC there's a God and He doesn't like Cthulhu...?
I actually thought "Mythos is real but so is the Abrahamic God and not totally impotent" was kinda novel, at least something I hadn't seen before.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

escape artist posted:

I actually just yesterday finished The Wolfen which was pretty drat stupid but very fun. Think I'm gonna do The Hunger next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Finished the novel part of King's ’Salem's Lot. (I have the illustrated edition with short stories and stuff.) It was good! It's kind of hard for vampires to be actually scary these days, I think, but it's a tense book nonetheless.