Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The fight is mostly fisted

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This ain't yer daddy's Street Fighter :wiggle:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Terrible Awful Games: the fight is mostly fisted

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Street Fister

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hey who wants to play some Winnie's Hole :shepface:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2319730/Winnies_Hole/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sounds better than Pooh's Hole? I guess??

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

:catstare:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It, well.
yeah.
Kinda says it all, I think?
any other comments just come second to a handful of "Why?"'s gesturing in its general direction

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Terrible Awful Games: I have a hole?

or

Terrible Awful Games: You have lots of holes, but this one's different.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Winnie Learns About His Special Hole

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Agents are GO! posted:

Terrible Awful Games: I have a hole?

or

Terrible Awful Games: You have lots of holes, but this one's different.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Does anybody know what these kind of games are called? They all look the same (buggy physics, off-model characters, low-res textures etc), set in a small open world where the NPCs are mostly stores, and always have gambling in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OslUuJ58s_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8KmRw8610

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RoW4EkAydI

I feel like this is something pitched to Capcom as a Resident Evil spinoff but was rejected.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The middle one at least is a weird sub-sub genre of “trying to rip off My Summer Car without understanding why it works.” There’s a solid 5-6 games that do that.

I know because I love My Summer Car and have bought and refunded multiple. That one was so poo poo I didn’t even need to try to know.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Does anybody know what these kind of games are called? They all look the same (buggy physics, off-model characters, low-res textures etc), set in a small open world where the NPCs are mostly stores, and always have gambling in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OslUuJ58s_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8KmRw8610

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RoW4EkAydI

I feel like this is something pitched to Capcom as a Resident Evil spinoff but was rejected.

I always think of them as janky life sims, but yeah I know what you mean in that it's weird that it seems to be a whole genre. I am assuming there's a Unity asset out there for making games like this.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The middle one at least is a weird sub-sub genre of “trying to rip off My Summer Car without understanding why it works.” There’s a solid 5-6 games that do that.

I know because I love My Summer Car and have bought and refunded multiple. That one was so poo poo I didn’t even need to try to know.

Is that game out/still in active development? It's been a while since I've heard anything regarding it

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Hipster Occultist posted:

Is that game out/still in active development? It's been a while since I've heard anything regarding it

Last update was over a year ago but it's been finished for a bit longer than that, it's ending tail of updates were mostly just small qol/bugfixes. So yeah, it's out and done as it stands. It also has a modding community, so there's some nice fan made stuff to add.

I believe there's a sequel, My Winter Car, currently in the works, but don't know if that was just hearsay or not.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I always think of them as janky life sims, but yeah I know what you mean in that it's weird that it seems to be a whole genre. I am assuming there's a Unity asset out there for making games like this.

Yeah I think it's a subset of the "simulator" genre, just not one that, to my knowledge, has a popularly accepted name yet. But there are probably enough of them that there ought to be one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those games seem to exist specifically for the sake of let's game it out. i don't see why anyone would buy them otherwise.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

those games seem to exist specifically for the sake of let's game it out. i don't see why anyone would buy them otherwise.

worth it, then

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
jankulators

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dare you enter?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Get outta here, wombats, there's some new cubic bodily waste in town

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I hate it when people rip off Crypt Worlds

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

'A Magical Ex-Pee-Rience!' was right there!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Piss paf

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/KongShots/status/1713997348710269403

https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/status/1714014780346806395

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Someone who knows how to splice footage together could probably stick a shot of Kong from that second one into Beast Wars and it'd fit right in. You know it's bad when it'd be right in place in a mid-90s CGI cartoon.

How does this game stack up to Gollum in terms of badness? I know Gollum is bad, but I don't know who'd come out on top if these two slugged it out for the Crown of Crap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

Someone who knows how to splice footage together could probably stick a shot of Kong from that second one into Beast Wars and it'd fit right in. You know it's bad when it'd be right in place in a mid-90s CGI cartoon.

How does this game stack up to Gollum in terms of badness? I know Gollum is bad, but I don't know who'd come out on top if these two slugged it out for the Crown of Crap.

Gollum is a better game but King Kong is not the worst game I've played this year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently the executable for that game is named monke.exe, it has to be an intentional shitpost on some level

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

repiv posted:

monke.exe

It certainly has big "this was meant to be an NFT game until the bubble burst so we hurried to make it based on a public domain property instead" vibes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Except it’s not based on the public domain King Kong stuff, I believe. They have rights from whoever’s estate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's no grand conspiracy for it being a nft game pivot, it's made by a tiny Chilean developer and published by loving Gamemill who exist to pump and dump licensed dreck

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It looks bad but also higher effort than the average asset flip.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's no grand conspiracy for it being a nft game pivot, it's made by a tiny Chilean developer and published by loving Gamemill who exist to pump and dump licensed dreck

just checking, i think i know the answer, but this publisher is actually called "Gamemill"? you aren't making a scathing pun on their actual name?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Doc Hawkins posted:

just checking, i think i know the answer, but this publisher is actually called "Gamemill"? you aren't making a scathing pun on their actual name?

it is actually rendered as "GameMill"
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=GameMill%20Entertainment

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Except it’s not based on the public domain King Kong stuff, I believe. They have rights from whoever’s estate.

The rights to King Kong are absurdly complicated and hilarious. Basically, Merian C. Cooper came up with Kong and commissioned a novelization to shop around Hollywood, eventually convincing RKO Pictures to make it. Years later RKO starts licensing Kong to Toho for a Godzilla crossover and Cooper takes them to court. This leads to RKO keeping the film rights, but the Cooper estate has the rights to the book.

When RKO starts sinking, they allow Universal to produce a film based on the original King Kong film. This leads to a second wave of court cases: first between Universal and Dino de Laurentiis, who seperately bought the rights from RKO, and then between Universal and Cooper, who claimed that RKO's license was build upon an agreement he made with RKO and not Universal. Amidst this clusterfuck, Universal discovers that the copyright on the novelization has already expired and it has entered the public domain. This will later come back to bite them in the rear end during a court case with Nintendo over Donkey Kong, but at this point the Cooper estate owns the character King Kong, RKO owns the original film and de Laurentiis holds the rights for a remake. That leaves Universal free to come up with its own interpretation of the original novel. They license the character rights from Cooper and don't do anything substantial with it for rougly thirty years, when they produce the Peter Jackson film. In the meantime, they try to take Nintendo to court over Donkey Kong and get slammed hard because they drat well knew they couldn't claim ownership over a property that they themselves proved was public domain a few years earlier.

So now there's at least three King Kongs:
1) The original novelization, which is public domain
2) The rights to the film property, including a lot of character rights, are owned by Universal (and leased to Legendary)*
3) The character rights to Kong himself, which are licensed through the Cooper estate

The Cooper estate, meanwhile, has been publishing its own series of (print) publications that follow Kong on Skull Island but don't include any other characters or plots from the original film. This is done through a partnership with DeVito Artworks, who made a bunch of comics, books and cartoons, including one made for Disney+. Some of them are funny and insane, most of it is pretty bad. And that's the license that GameMill gets to use.

I probably hosed up a few of the details above, and there's about a hundred more weird loopholes and clauses, but this is why it's waaaay easier to just use a big ape named Kong rather than trying to get Godzilla or something.

*Except for certain markets, where it is owned by Warner, but that's a whole other story

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If it was $10 and featured more cutscenes of jpegs splicd with models, like the detailed grossout closeups from nick toons, or Jerry Anderson puppets cutting to a human hand in closeup, it would be a perfect shitpost of a game. It would also be entirely in spirit of rubber suit monster fights shot on a budget of whatever was in the couch cushions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Elfface posted:

If it was $10 and featured more cutscenes of jpegs splicd with models, like the detailed grossout closeups from nick toons, or Jerry Anderson puppets cutting to a human hand in closeup, it would be a perfect shitpost of a game. It would also be entirely in spirit of rubber suit monster fights shot on a budget of whatever was in the couch cushions.

With the main game executable being monke.exe, a shove-it-out-the-door shitpost of a game seems more or less accurate?