Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Two Kings posted:

If Howard ever actually retires who will have the hardest time moving on to something else? And why will it be JD?

Benjy

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

15 years after Howard dies, who do you think will still be out there trying to get noticed as "xxxxx from the Howard Stern show"?

Benjy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If Howard lives as long as his parents most of the rest of these slobs will already be dead, let alone 15 years later

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Jackie Martling

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Two Kings posted:

Jackie Martling

"I told the kid to slow down, he went too far too fast and he died. Shoulda listened to the Joke Man."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hey guys, been a while. My only friend who listened to Stern died from covid, so you guys are all I have left. :smith:

Anyway, I still listen to the show podcast style, from beginning to end, but I skip whole segments these days. Pretty much 100% of the time a Benjy or High-pitch segment comes on, I find my myself skipping ahead. I'm starting to skip Larry, too, that guy got old a long time ago.

Clearly though, the big issue is Mike cheaping out on his wedding gift to Steve. I used to like the guy, his Hulk bits always cracked me up. And now I think less of him, and not so much for his shockingly cheap gift, but for his total lack recalcitrance later... he was a huge jerk about about the whole thing, never seemed remotely apologetic.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey guys, been a while. My only friend who listened to Stern died from covid, so you guys are all I have left. :smith:

Anyway, I still listen to the show podcast style, from beginning to end, but I skip whole segments these days. Pretty much 100% of the time a Benjy or High-pitch segment comes on, I find my myself skipping ahead. I'm starting to skip Larry, too, that guy got old a long time ago.

Clearly though, the big issue is Mike cheaping out on his wedding gift to Steve. I used to like the guy, his Hulk bits always cracked me up. And now I think less of him, and not so much for his shockingly cheap gift, but for his total lack recalcitrance later... he was a huge jerk about about the whole thing, never seemed remotely apologetic.

We speak your name

I also listen to the show the same way but I've fallen way behind since covid since I don't drive to work any more. I'm only at June 2021 and I'm left hoping he retires so I have a chance at catching up.

I skip whole segments too and the show is overall pretty boring. It's the same skits over and over again or talking to Ronnie about his sex life. When he has a guest on I give it a few minutes to see if it's any good but I usually end up skipping the entire show.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

High Pitch Mike and Steve Grillo?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

15 years after Howard dies, who do you think will still be out there trying to get noticed as "xxxxx from the Howard Stern show"?

"who the gently caress is howard stern?"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Not odd at all....2006-2008 were some of the best shows of Sterns entire career.

Ah, the good old "Eric and Artie and not too much Johnny Fratto yet" days :allears:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah, the good old "Eric and Artie and not too much Johnny Fratto yet" days :allears:

Johnny Fratto really was the worst, just completely ruined any bit involving Eric because he always had to shoehorn in a plug for some lovely strip club or talk about his kids or how his father was in the mafia a thousand years ago whooooo caaaaares

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

haljordan posted:

Johnny Fratto really was the worst, just completely ruined any bit involving Eric because he always had to shoehorn in a plug for some lovely strip club or talk about his kids or how his father was in the mafia a thousand years ago whooooo caaaaares

Yeah, as funny as I found werewolves in new Mexico, the 'pepsuh-cola' debacle, or any of Eric's other demands, finding out that it was mainly Johnny fratto either coercing Eric to put those in, or flat out doing it himself takes the wind out of those sails.

Zero point zero stays winning.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Agreed on Fratto -- he didn't get that the Stern show is not pro wrestling. What has always made it compelling is the realness of it. Like, we all know that the "phoney phone calls" are heavily worked, and staff conflicts are ginned up, but (as just one example), Gary really did take a nap during the show and get called out for it live on the air, and really did have a petulant little feud with Scott DePace as a result.

Caveat: in Stern Show frenemy circles such as Reddit, a common accusation is that almost all of the conflicts etc. that are presented as real are actually "works" cooked up in the writers' room. It's possible that some of the real-seeming stuff is, but as for the bulk of it ... it's still real to me, dammit!!

Bonus: relive the glory and horror of Gary's sleeping mouthparts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKsUvO7Dlw

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Chicken Butt posted:

Agreed on Fratto -- he didn't get that the Stern show is not pro wrestling. What has always made it compelling is the realness of it. Like, we all know that the "phoney phone calls" are heavily worked, and staff conflicts are ginned up, but (as just one example), Gary really did take a nap during the show and get called out for it live on the air, and really did have a petulant little feud with Scott DePace as a result.

Caveat: in Stern Show frenemy circles such as Reddit, a common accusation is that almost all of the conflicts etc. that are presented as real are actually "works" cooked up in the writers' room. It's possible that some of the real-seeming stuff is, but as for the bulk of it ... it's still real to me, dammit!!

Bonus: relive the glory and horror of Gary's sleeping mouthparts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYKsUvO7Dlw

Eric trying to get Fratto to reimburse him for that trip he took was most likely a work.

Zero.Zero....ill go to my grave believing thats a shoot.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
isn’t Richard running marathons now

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

High Pitch Mike and Steve Grillo?

Sorry, I was attempting to be topical.

Steve Nowicki got married, his wedding was awful and had no food. Mike Trainor gave $50 for a wedding gift.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Considering how unhealthy most people on the show have been over the years, it's shocking that so many are still alive. How are Jackie, Artie, KC, Stuttering John, High Pitch, Jeff the Vomit Guy, Jeff the Drunk, and Beetlejuice still walking the earth? or walking to St. Louis in Artie's case, after taking crystal meth

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Steve Nowicki got married, his wedding was awful and had no food. Mike Trainor gave $50 for a wedding gift.

50 dollars? What an insult. You’re better off being like Fred and just “forgetting” to give a gift at all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
DAT PRICK HOWID STOINE?!?!?!!!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Benjy is a better comedy writer than 90% of the working stiffs in the industry and will have no problem after the show. He is also probably already financially well off. I think very few people give him credit for what he does and can do. For a while I remember the show ending with a plug where you could like rent women from Benjy. Guy has his poo poo all figured out

Richard after the show will severely cut into the viewership of the Shuli Network on YouTube as they fight over the few valuable people who actually superchat. Sal will try to stream and quickly be banned from any service he tries.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
The hack pack will team back up for a podcast and awful tour....

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This just occurred to me, but it's weird when I look back and see when me knowing Artie just from MadTV switched over to realizing that being on the HSS was his biggest role.

When I first started listening to when he was on the show (i. e., the best years), I'd always think "Yeah Artie, that guy from MadTV", and now, that's not even something that I think about when Artie's mentioned.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

Benjy is a better comedy writer than 90% of the working stiffs in the industry and will have no problem after the show. He is also probably already financially well off. I think very few people give him credit for what he does and can do. For a while I remember the show ending with a plug where you could like rent women from Benjy. Guy has his poo poo all figured out

Richard after the show will severely cut into the viewership of the Shuli Network on YouTube as they fight over the few valuable people who actually superchat. Sal will try to stream and quickly be banned from any service he tries.

Did Benjy write this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

lynch_69 posted:

Did Benjy write this?

*quiet, noise-gated benjy chuckle*

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Do you sell tchwatt quwream?

clambake
Aug 30, 2007

Two Kings posted:

50 dollars? What an insult. You’re better off being like Fred and just “forgetting” to give a gift at all.

Um, excuse me. Miss Manners says there is a grace period of up to a year after the wedding in which to give a gift. It's too bad that Will was being a douche bag.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not one loving buyback

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my brother's gonna come down and make a big big order today. his first name is mitur. his last name is b-a-n-e-s-d-e-r-t-y

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Benjy's surreal/absurdist comedy writing is my faaavorite, which can best be heard with all his Evil Dave Letterman lines. Given how popular that style of comedy is now with Tim & Eric, Eric Andre, Tim Robinson, etc I really don't think he'd have an issue getting hired.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

barnold posted:

my brother's gonna come down and make a big big order today. his first name is mitur. his last name is b-a-n-e-s-d-e-r-t-y

Such a fake call

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Squashy Nipples posted:

If I went to a wedding and there was no food I'd cheap out on the gift too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well I just saw
those big buck teeth
hanging from the gums
of baba booeeeeeyyyy

his breath's real bad
like some old vagina
as his tongue lays down
on that GREAT WALL OF CHINA!!

WITH MOUTH WIDE OPEN!1

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Wife and I are doing Pilates classes. Dancing Queen by Abba comes on the speakers, I start to giggle because I'm thinking about Artie and vending machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnVFIQ6F4Q

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I wind up singing that at least once a month.

Cookies, candies, cupcakes filled with cream!!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m an Artie Loves Pancakes guy but they very rarely play any Bonnie Tyler song but Total Eclipse of the Heart.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrmkmtUi8g&t=1201s

That dramatic build up only to have Jackie start laughing as soon as Mark starts singing... gold.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

This seems an okay place to ask

I'm looking for a very specific joke that was a Norm MacDonald favorite. A lot of my searches for this bit come up with his "punchline same as setup" joke, which is not what I'm looking for. This was him retelling a joke on, I think, Norm MacDonald Live, and they might of even played a clip of the original comedian who performed it - it wasn't a Norm joke, he just loved it.

I cannot for the life of me remember the exact joke but I did keep the structure of the joke in mind because Norm spoke about how beautiful it was. Kinda went "I have X, I mean XY, I mean I own a XYZ." If I had to write a poor copycat example it would go "I was shopping at the Sears store the other day, I mean, looking at the Sears catalogue, I mean, not Sears, uhh, Playboy magazine, looking and, well, jerking off actually." Very quickly transitions between three interconnected things, but disconnected, like you hear jerking off and think "wait I thought we were talking about the Sears store."

Lots of Norm fans in this thread. Sound familiar to anyone?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

parthenocarpy posted:

This seems an okay place to ask

I'm looking for a very specific joke that was a Norm MacDonald favorite. A lot of my searches for this bit come up with his "punchline same as setup" joke, which is not what I'm looking for. This was him retelling a joke on, I think, Norm MacDonald Live, and they might of even played a clip of the original comedian who performed it - it wasn't a Norm joke, he just loved it.

I cannot for the life of me remember the exact joke but I did keep the structure of the joke in mind because Norm spoke about how beautiful it was. Kinda went "I have X, I mean XY, I mean I own a XYZ." If I had to write a poor copycat example it would go "I was shopping at the Sears store the other day, I mean, looking at the Sears catalogue, I mean, not Sears, uhh, Playboy magazine, looking and, well, jerking off actually." Very quickly transitions between three interconnected things, but disconnected, like you hear jerking off and think "wait I thought we were talking about the Sears store."

Lots of Norm fans in this thread. Sound familiar to anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRj61dcvmuU

something like that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

One of these?

https://youtu.be/1wUWd8v1Bio?si=luJIVxFeDxQT_FNb

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, another thread you might want to ask your question in is this one. Despite the title it's now just a bunch of us talking about comedians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Sorta

No, I specifically cited this as what I'm not looking for

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was thinking the same thing.

Also, another thread you might want to ask your question in is this one. Despite the title it's now just a bunch of us talking about comedians.

Thanks will do!