Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

I get that Scherzer is Scherzer and a no doubt HoF and all that, but even without hindsight it was pretty dumb for Bochey to let himself be talked into letting the guy's first pitching appearance in five weeks coming off injury be an NLCS start. "You can come out of the pen for a bit and if it goes well we'll look at a WS start" seems much more reasonable but then again the postseason is manager brain poison where all logic goes out the window and all that matters is veterancy and will to win and grit.

agreed, it is insane Eric Hosmer wasn't picked up by a playoff team. edit: 4x Rawlings Gold Glove winner Eric Hosmer, to clear up confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
drat I always knew I loved the Michigan Wolverines and could never figure out exactly why.

https://theathletic.com/4978212/2023/10/19/michigan-football-sign-stealing-michigan-state/?source=twitterhq

Edit: it turns out after doing some research, the pioneer and biggest user of this sign stealing system is Brent Venables from his Clemson days who is now at OU so now I am appalled and angry that someone would cheat the game of college football like this.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 19, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/SportsRadioWIP/status/1715035294737572046

On the one hand this is a dick move but on the other :lol::lol::lol: that the D-Backs otherwise can't move $12-$15 tickets for a CS game, what a loving embarrassment.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
I think it's pretty dumb tbh and just giving some billionaire owner extra money. If the tickets are unsold today no one was going anyway

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If they're going for that cheap they're likely secondary market, and in that case the team likely already made their face value profit but won't get concessions. The resellers are taking the biggest hit though

Also for those curious you can still as of this moment buy tickets for today's game directly through the team starting at $70 for nosebleeds

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 19, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It would be extremely fitting for Cowboy Joe to get into the hall because the committee in charge made a bad call

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Not like reselling is good or anything, but if it's going to happen any way then it's a complete joke that the tickets are this cheap

shyduck posted:

Also for those curious you can still as of this moment buy tickets for today's game directly through the team starting at $70 for nosebleeds

A 60%+ loss for any sold on Stubhub :pathetic:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Listen, Philly fans are a lot of things, but smart ain't one of them

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Really weird that there are cheap tickets available for a game with a 2 pm local start time on a Thursday

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I'm not surprised at all that a town of transplants (whose sports fans are generally fair-weather fans with regards to the historically-terrible local teams) aren't snapping up all the tickets for a 2pm weekday game when the team is down 2-0. Only the Suns have a solid all-quality fan base and even then not so much relative to a bunch of other NBA teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Really weird that there are cheap tickets available for a game with a 2 pm local start time on a Thursday
I thought Phoenix was full of old retirees anyway, 2pm should be a perfect start time for them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

xbilkis posted:

You could schedule a Cubs postseason game for 3AM and Wrigley would still sell out with secondary market tickets starting in the mid-to-low three figures for "partially-obstructed view" seats right in front of a concrete pillar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Globe Life sold out games 3-5 like the day the series started

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

You could schedule a Cubs postseason game for 3AM and Wrigley would still sell out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The ump loving sucked last night. Also all balls that were called strikes went against the same team.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

zoux posted:

Listen, Philly fans are a lot of things, but smart ain't one of them

:shuckyes:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

The ump loving sucked last night. Also all balls that were called strikes went against the same team.

I know it's confirmation bias/pareidolia but I can't help but see Kirk Van Houten's "Dignity" in every one of those "Estimated Ump Zones"

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

All of philly’s favorite sons- frank rizzo, rocky stallone, frank powell, benjamin netanyahu- will be rooting for their favorite team tonight.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Support for the valiant James Joyce in his attempt to punish the cheating Astros.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Ah yes, the famed baseball Strike Kidney.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I know it's confirmation bias/pareidolia but I can't help but see Kirk Van Houten's "Dignity" in every one of those "Estimated Ump Zones"

Lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Phillies are dogshit garbage

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Phils has their worst game of the postseason by far and it still had to come down to the very end. Not gonna worry yet

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Should I be surprised Leyland isn't in already? I guess I'm just conflating longevity with quality, but maybe he's never been eligible until now?

Anyways, some great squads but bad luck with Pittsburgh and Detroit with a Marlins WS sandwiched between, plus a WBC title in 2017, he retired for good after 3 straight division titles, and a had a cool stache.

Cito also had a rad stache, and he was the first African-American manager to win a WS, and he called out Steve Simmons and Bob McCown publicly, so I hope the two guys get in.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

kalensc posted:

Cito also had a rad stache,

So did Davey Johnson at times

E: I misremembered, but I'll leave my shame here

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly Phillies still feel like the massive favorites.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I met Leyland a few times and he was very nice to me, so he has my vote.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looking at the 1993 Pirates, it's amazing Leyland had even an OK year with them. Everybody not named Van Slyke who was a big name was gone after 1992. Leyland got hit several times by cheap management. Still shocked Leyland was in his mid-40s coaching those Pittsburgh teams.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yeah…Jay Bell had a huge year I guess, Al Martin & Orlando Merced had career years. The pitching was awful though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Phillies are dogshit garbage

The defending NL Champion Philadelphia Phillies* are dogshit garbage

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Kirios posted:

Honestly Phillies still feel like the massive favorites.

I think that ballpark is a real problem. I'm not saying they couldn't or won't win the next two or anything, but it seems pretty hard to hit balls out of and they're really good at stranding runners.

If we're talking about the remaining four teams I'd just put money on the Astros at this point. The Phillies have maybe half a dozen reliable pitchers on the entire staff if you're being generous. Kimbrel is rear end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I think that ballpark is a real problem. I'm not saying they couldn't or won't win the next two or anything, but it seems pretty hard to hit balls out of and they're really good at stranding runners.

If we're talking about the remaining four teams I'd just put money on the Astros at this point. The Phillies have maybe half a dozen reliable pitchers on the entire staff if you're being generous. Kimbrel is rear end.

The Astros would have to win a home game to advance to the WS though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

triple sulk posted:

it suppresses home runs because of the fences, but it's big for doubles and triples and overall is offense-friendly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So you're saying expect a Realmuto inside the parker

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

bawfuls posted:

it suppresses home runs because of the fences, but it's big for doubles and triples and overall is offense-friendly

Sure, but the Phillies mostly live and die by the dinger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/brittanyanne08_/status/1715070913107112330

Sewald talks being traded and leaving Seattle