Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Herbert Stencil posted:

Yeah I mean if you live in a country with worker rights and protections and poo poo it's one thing but I'm assuming that they live in the US. Generally you should do literally anything you can to prevent your boss from knowing anything at all about you or your career plans or if you're happy at work or not.

there is no way anyone outside the us would have a 2 hour car commute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

You can certainly look/apply/interview and *not* tell your boss right away, if it gets to the point of reference checks that's nearly always a final "not axe-murderer/liar" checkbox more than anything else.

Edit:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there is no way anyone outside the us would have a 2 hour car commute
:canada: sometimes

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Human Tornada posted:

More or less it's the norm, yes. Why are you confused about the fact that not every single person who owns a car follows the norm?

The question was

quote:

What do I do, as a car owner, to make sure my car continues to vroom vroom for the next couple years
And the answers were walls of text, not "go take it in for servicing regularly". It seems natural to me to wonder whether you're all Rugged Individualists™

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

See, I would consider my boss chill. Not a bad person at all. I would love to have a candid, frank discussion. But, I've been burned by some awful work experiences in the past, with one in particular leaving me with a bad case of impostor syndrome after enduring an abusive work environment for five years. I'm incredibly wary about letting my guard down to an employer because there's always going to be a power imbalance between you and your boss, and they are never truly your friend because at the end of the day it's a business transaction. Can you be amicable and joke around? Sure. Open up about how you really feel? Never.

There are a couple of other references I could use, but they're from my college and internship eras, and these were over a decade ago. I don't think a potential employer is going to want to talk to them and it would be really suspicious if I gave them and not my current boss. As for more recent positions, I decided to never speak to the bosses from the abusive job ever again. That's my problem, but they treated me so awfully that I had to see a therapist.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this works only if the boss isn't a shitbag.
someone sufficiently petty and managerial might retaliate for thinking about quitting including potentially firing op and leaving them without a paycheck during their job search

Yeah but if you have to leave and you're going to get hosed anyway, and if the boss is already giving you a hard time about being late, there is a possible pivot:

"I understand that, and I don't want to let you down, I want to do the right thing by you, so maybe it's best if I work elsewhere, I can help you find someone who livers closer, can I have your blessing and support in finding something myself, yadda yada yadda"

unless you can get a job without a reference, then go for it i guess

I dunno, sounds lovely, good luck OP

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 20, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I have never had a reference be asked more than “do you know grassy and did she work with you in *capacity I already stated to prospective employer*”

Unless I’m specifically referred for a job (where I’m receiving a call from an employer I’ve never engaged before with a job they want me to interview for/take (depending on it being enployee/contractor). Then they still aren’t asking the references I provide more than that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is there anyone not your boss you could ask? Like a coworker, or a supervisor for another team, or someone who witnessed you doing really on project X, or whatever? Maybe someone who can honestly talk about your work but wouldn't be as impacted by you leaving (and so might be more willing to be chill and keep it quiet).

edit: two fish - is it just the commute (that does sound hellish)? No chance you can WFH, presumably?

Trapick fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 20, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hey I just want to say I asked a question in this thread about light bulbs a few months ago and got some great answers. I didn't use the information until recently.

I purchased two 40w replacement bulbs with a color temperature of 2200 which I installed in the light fixtures to either side of my bathroom mirror.

Holy poo poo, guys, thank you. Every time I walk into the bathroom my eyes sing pellucid songs of joy and thanksgiving. Every time I walk out of the bathroom into the harsh illumination of the rest of the world my soul feels as if it is chewing a mouthful of the bitterest ashes. I have this thread to thank. I can't wait till I replace every bulb in my living space with something of a similar temperature.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

More or less it's the norm, yes. Why are you confused about the fact that not every single person who owns a car follows the norm?

I'm confused that the response to "I'm an extremely anxious first time car owner who doesn't know anything about cars, how do I keep this thing running" is not "find a reliable car place and take it there once a year" but rather "here are a series of specific granular things that you need to worry about at varying different times".

To me that suggested that annual services might not be the normal thing to do in the US, because if it was then surely that is the natural advice for someone who is scared and doesn't know what they're doing? What other people do with their cars is another question entirely.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

I've got some B12 supplements that contain about 42,000% the daily value per pill. Why put so much in it? Is B12 so cheap that an inert filler would actually be more expensive or something?
Normal B12 absorption is an active process. Some cells in your stomach emit a protein (Intrinsic factor) that binds to B12 and protects it from acid degradation. That complex goes down into your small intestines. Another protein secreted from your pancreas attaches to it and modifies it. The modified complex is actively grabbed and pumped across the intestinal membrane by cells in a region at the end of your small intestine, then the whole thing is taken back apart into free B12 bloodside. You are very good at scavenging relatively small amounts of B12 and absorbing them, so you don't need to eat much.

Lots of diseases can break various parts of that process, leading to pernicious anemia because you don't have enough B12 to make red blood cells. A little bit of passive absorption still happens though (~1% of the healthy rate) and you can easily pee out excess, so you can treat anything that breaks the active mechanism by just throwing 1000X amounts at it, getting a few ug passively absorbed, and pooping out 99% of the ingested B12.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Also all churches and libraries and places of worship should be open all night, serve hot drinks, and preferably some rice and legume curry, or at least some kind of pastries. And have a music room. And a fire. Or if not "all", then at least one in every suburb.

Don't act like we don't have the capacity to do this as a species.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm confused that the response to "I'm an extremely anxious first time car owner who doesn't know anything about cars, how do I keep this thing running" is not "find a reliable car place and take it there once a year" but rather "here are a series of specific granular things that you need to worry about at varying different times".

To me that suggested that annual services might not be the normal thing to do in the US, because if it was then surely that is the natural advice for someone who is scared and doesn't know what they're doing? What other people do with their cars is another question entirely.

"Find a reliable car place" is not super helpful advice on its own for an anxious first time car owner who doesn't know anything about cars. How are they supposed to know which car places are reliable or not? If they had a "car guy" buddy they could ask they probably wouldn't be posting here.

All the "specific granular things" are being mentioned to give OP some idea of what to listen for and expect to come up when they're trying to find a reliable place. Going in completely blind and saying "I know literally nothing about cars here's my credit card" probably isn't the wisest course of action.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey I just want to say I asked a question in this thread about light bulbs a few months ago and got some great answers. I didn't use the information until recently.

I purchased two 40w replacement bulbs with a color temperature of 2200 which I installed in the light fixtures to either side of my bathroom mirror.

Holy poo poo, guys, thank you. Every time I walk into the bathroom my eyes sing pellucid songs of joy and thanksgiving. Every time I walk out of the bathroom into the harsh illumination of the rest of the world my soul feels as if it is chewing a mouthful of the bitterest ashes. I have this thread to thank. I can't wait till I replace every bulb in my living space with something of a similar temperature.

I've changed almost all the bulbs in my house out for warm lights and I've never

a) slept better
b) been so comfortable and relaxed
c) noticed how harsh every store's lighting is

it's 100% the way to go. Welcome to the good life.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

two fish posted:

There are a couple of other references I could use, but they're from my college and internship eras, and these were over a decade ago. I don't think a potential employer is going to want to talk to them and it would be really suspicious if I gave them and not my current boss.

Functionally, I don't know any places that would expect you to give your current boss as a reference. It would be very odd if they did.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Also all churches and libraries and places of worship should be open all night, serve hot drinks, and preferably some rice and legume curry, or at least some kind of pastries. And have a music room. And a fire. Or if not "all", then at least one in every suburb.

Don't act like we don't have the capacity to do this as a species.

"But then homeless people will set up camp and do drugs in there!"

Sorry, I'm grumpy that we're not allowed even small things like park benches and public toilets because the meager relief and refuge they provide from life in America causes them to get instantly overwhelmed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What causes migraines, and why are they so much worse than a regular headache? They're absolutely miserable, but I'd like to know more.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Leave posted:

What causes migraines, and why are they so much worse than a regular headache? They're absolutely miserable, but I'd like to know more.

Not vasoconstriction and vasodilation, but it’s considered a spectrum because the causes are believed to be complex and varied. I usually blame our godless existence when I’m having one

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Anecdotal, but when I get migraines I don't feel a "headache." Instead I get weird shimmery poo poo that fucks up my vision, but I've been told it's the way a migraine manifests in some people.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

credburn posted:

Anecdotal, but when I get migraines I don't feel a "headache." Instead I get weird shimmery poo poo that fucks up my vision, but I've been told it's the way a migraine manifests in some people.

That’s usually my first sign a migraine is coming, then it goes to my temples in a vice grip and massive nausea

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Organza Quiz posted:

It’s definitely not normal to only take a car in once a year. I could see that being the case for people who don’t drive much but this is America where driving is the only way to get around unless you live in a city with great public transit. For instance because of my commute I’ve had to drive about 25000 miles this year. There’s no way my car would survive if I only took it in once a year

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Organza Quiz posted:

Is it not the norm in the US to just take your car for a service every year and get some experts to tell you what needs doing and then just do that? Or are all the people who do that over there scams? Some of them are scammy here but you just ask around until you find an ok one.

Yes, if you can find a trustworthy place - that's the difficult part. Also bear in mind that a business can be sued in the US much more successfully for failing to recommend doing X than saying that doing X "will help maintain your car in peak condition" so even the most honest will over-recommend.

Similarly, dishonest mechanics can smell fear - if you don't know what you should be getting, they will 1000% take advantage. That's why being able to do the easy, cheap stuff yourself is valuable - it gives you confidence (and hell, if you're topping up the oil yourself you've got more confidence in your mechanical abilities than I have - my most expensive car tool is a socket wrench from Harbor Freight).

It's also a very nice honesty check (just changed your engine air filter and they want to install a new one after they've seen it? Nope time).

* Read the owner's manual for your car and/or look up recommended service intervals from the manufacturer's website and know what you should be doing/have done and how often. Try not to exceed those intervals by more than 10-20%. Your exact make/model/year should be on your car's registration or you can get it from the VIN.
* Ask people's opinions on service places ("Hey, I need to take my car in for service {and my place is booked solid|my guy is on vacation|the mechanic I trust had an accident and is out for a while} - any place you can recommend or any place I should avoid"?).
* Be able to do the cheap, easy things yourself, it'll save you a few $, keep you familiar with how your engine is supposed to look, and helps face down mechanics who want to over-service. Not sure how to or if it is in fact easy? Google/Youtube; there are a lot of service/parts places who put up step by step on how to do X.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I also get that particular vision thing once in a while, usually without any pain. But then again I also do (more rarely) get "regular" migraines with headaches and nausea but without any vision symptoms, so :iiam:

The vision fuckery is particularly fun/spooky in the beginning, when the vision starts going but before the flickering really starts up, because the brain is so good at filling in blind spots in your vision. So I'd be reading something, start wondering why it's going so slowly, and it'd take me a couple minutes to realise that I can't actually discern most of the letters. My brain has just been filling in the affected space with patterns that sort of look like letters, but don't actually make any sense if you try to focus on them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

credburn posted:

I get that sometimes, too; it's a weird silver aura that begins in the corner of my left eye, then works its way across, before the headache begins. Then my left eye feels like it's going to pop, and my head hurts enough that I puke every time. And last night, it was like loving restless leg syndrome, too!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why do we disembark instead of just barking?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

credburn posted:

Sometimes I'll get headaches that make me feel nauseous and just hate life in general! No vision symptoms though, just nausea and head pain. Never really thought about it but are those migraines...? Guess I should bring it up with my doctor the next time I see him.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I had my first migraine in my late teens which was ocular. I just lost vision in one half of my one of my eyes suddenly and for no reason which freaked me the gently caress out and had me rushing to the doctor.

Never had it like that before but I started getting migraines fairly regularly (once a month or so) in my later twenties. Luckily they're not too bad. Weird shimmers/auras, an annoying headache but not crippling. The worst part is it just makes me feel lethargic and nauseous. Lasts about two days where it comes and goes in waves, usually with a couple of hours in the middle where it peaks and I can't really do anything except lie down and listen to audiobooks or half watch some tv while trying to nap. The rest of the time it's a bother but I can still do my things, except slower and less focused.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It’s from french where em+barque is in+ship

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not sure about this one in particular, but there's a good list of unpaired words on wikipedia.

I also found this poem from one of the links

quote:

I am such a dolent man,
I eptly work each day;
My acts are all becilic,
I've just ane things to say.

My nerves are strung, my hair is kempt,
I'm gusting and I'm span:
I look with dain on everyone
And am a pudent man.

I travel cognito and make
A delible impression:
I overcome a slight chalance,
With gruntled self-possesion.

My, dignation would be great
If I should digent be:
I trust my vagance will bring
An astrous life for me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

It’s definitely not normal to only take a car in once a year. I could see that being the case for people who don’t drive much but this is America where driving is the only way to get around unless you live in a city with great public transit. For instance because of my commute I’ve had to drive about 25000 miles this year. There’s no way my car would survive if I only took it in once a year

Your experience is far from universal. The average mileage per year is 12k I believe. Also a ton of people defer maintenance as long as they can, for a combination of financial reasons and the super casual fact-of-everyday-life attitude people have toward cars and driving. I don't have data but if you could calculate the US average frequency of car servicing, i would be shocked if it was above 0.5 times a year.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

two fish posted:

There are a couple of other references I could use, but they're from my college and internship eras, and these were over a decade ago. I don't think a potential employer is going to want to talk to them and it would be really suspicious if I gave them and not my current boss.

This is not the case IME. If you have a fellow comrade in arms at your current job (someone at your level) who you worked with for a while, and who would give you a positive recommendation, go with them instead. Usually the interviewer will ask some questions like "What was two fish like to work with? Would you hire them for this position? Is there any reason you would not hire them for this position?" I applied for a new job last year, and I had my (current) co-workers as references, and one manager from two jobs back. If they were to ask you "Why no more recent references?" (Which I've never experienced, personally), there's any number of reasons. "I heard that there was a shakeup since I left and a lot of that management staff was let go after I left. The people who work there now wouldn't know who I was."

But putting your current boss/manager on that list? gently caress no. And I don't think that's unusual. If your current boss was your friend, and I mean your actual friend, not just friendly, and you came to them with your situation, and they said, "Man, that sucks, but I can't give you what you want. My hands are tied due to corporate policy. But I know you, you're a good guy(?). You can use me as a reference, and thanks for the heads up. Let's work on finding your replacement together." If you had a boss like that, then for sure, put them down as a reference, because that person is your friend first.

The only other thing I would maybe add, if you really love your job, and the only downside is the commute - talk to HR, assuming you have an HR department, and they also are not assholes. People get accommodations for needs all the time. If your boss is being an rear end about commute stuff that is beyond your reasonable control, you can see what might be done on the company side. I would still kind of advise against this since a different job might be the better fix, so maybe only pursue this angle if you love your job aside from the commute.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

for fucks sake posted:

Not sure about this one in particular, but there's a good list of unpaired words on wikipedia.

I also found this poem from one of the links

This was excellent, thank you for sharing. I'm glad I asked!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

Sometimes I'll get headaches that make me feel nauseous and just hate life in general! No vision symptoms though, just nausea and head pain. Never really thought about it but are those migraines...?
Sounds like it.

I got migraines as a teenager where I'd just feel nauseated for hours, no headache or any other symptoms. Hadn't had one for years though when one day I got a headache with mild nausea that just didn't go away, even with painkillers. By the second day I decided to go to the hospital where they gave me something that made it go away. It happened again a couple of times after that and since then I've been taking propranolol regularly as a preventative. I still occasionally get migraines, but never that bad or long-lasting.

My symptoms almost always start with a headache that gets worse in bright light and lets up in darkness. If I take some metoclopramide quickly then that usually takes care of it before it gets worse. If I don't, I'll get nausea that also changes severity based on light levels. I'll generally feel better after lying in the dark for a few hours, but metoclopramide speeds that up.

One time my arm went completely numb. No pins-and-needles or any kind of sensation. Not even proprioception. I couldn't move my arm without looking at it because I guess the muscles were working fine but the brain wasn't receiving any feedback from them so I needed some other form of confirmation that there was something happening? I dunno. It was very strange. I phoned Nurse on Call but even as I was speaking to them my arm was starting to come back to normal. They basically told me it's probably a migraine symptom but if it happens again, go to the hospital just in case. It hasn't.

My sister also gets migraines and one time she forgot how to speak. Lasted long enough that she made it to the hospital, where they did some tests and basically concluded it must be a migraine symptom because nothing else seemed to have caused it and she came good on her own. That also seems to have been a one time thing (so far).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

When I stir something in a glass or bowl, the liquid rises up the sides. Removing viscosity of the liquid, or assuming just water, is there a maximum to how high the liquid rises? If you had infinite depth of container and volume, would it functionally climb infinitely? Is it also tied to atmospheric pressure?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carillon posted:

When I stir something in a glass or bowl, the liquid rises up the sides. Removing viscosity of the liquid, or assuming just water, is there a maximum to how high the liquid rises? If you had infinite depth of container and volume, would it functionally climb infinitely? Is it also tied to atmospheric pressure?

The riding up the sides is called the meniscus. If I recall correctly (not having read the link, lol) it's got to do with the surface tension of the liquid in question.

Anyway, my small question, having got the right thread this time:

Does anyone know of a music file tag editor for Android that doesn't completely suck?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't suppose there's a Latin thread anywhere around here, is there?

I literally just need advice on how to properly translate and conjugate a specific phrase.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't suppose there's a Latin thread anywhere around here, is there?

I literally just need advice on how to properly translate and conjugate a specific phrase.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2868373, although long dead. Maybe a good place in that subforum though.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Latin thread

Trapick posted:

long dead.

appropriate

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trapick posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2868373, although long dead. Maybe a good place in that subforum though.

I already checked there and there's not a thread for small language-related questions like how to translate simple phrases from one language to another. And this feels like way too small a question for me to make a whole rear end thread myself.

Maybe I can PM a goon who knows Latin? Are there any goons out there who are really good at Latin and willing for me to PM them about this sentence I wanna translate?

EDIT: Before anyone suggests it, I should note that Google Translate is pretty poo poo at translating Latin (even moreso than it is at translating most other languages), which is why I'm farming this out to the forums.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 21, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just post it here or maybe in the Byzantine Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Carillon posted:

If you had infinite depth of container and volume, would it functionally climb infinitely?

I believe yes, but your variables are gravity and how fast you’re stirring it. The stirring pushes the liquid out against the walls of the container, but since the liquid is incompressible it has to go somewhere so it starts climbing the sides. Ignoring questions like turbulence and how do you stir it faster, how high is going to be a function of velocity, amount of fluid, radius of the container, and gravity.

Hyperlynx posted:

The riding up the sides is called the meniscus. If I recall correctly (not having read the link, lol) it's got to do with the surface tension of the liquid in question.

The meniscus is just when a liquid is in contact with a surface