Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

abigserve posted:

So I wanted to close the loop on my story.

I ended up buying a Norco Optic C3. It came in at a really good price, there was really only one other option and it was a big step back component wise.

I took it to Stromlo today and rode up the greens with one blue in the middle on the way up, then greens all the way down. We stopped short of the steepest climb because of time constraints.

The climb was really fun. Definitely I was totally outpaced by the emtb but I still got up there fine.

Downhill was great. Hit a few of the jumps and a couple of the little baby drops. Felt extremely confident the whole way.

Overall; mission success.

🤘🤘

Great bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:allears:

missing my hardtail right now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf the “Barcentric” 2×‐friendly dropper lever that I ordered on Aliexpress from an 80% positive feedback seller arrived, and it’s exactly what it’s supposed to be.

I thought that it was pretty likely that I would get nothing or a totally different product and have to file a dispute, but no, it probably came out of the same factory. Especially because it has the brand’s printing on it; that was only Photoshopped out for the listing.

That saved me sixty bucks, but not really because I would have settled for a PNW Puget at thirty instead of forking over seventy‐five for a Barcentric at Wolf Tooth’s prices. Options for 2×‐friendly levers aren’t great. Then again, I could have followed the maintenance thread title advice to use friction shifting in the front.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 14, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Platystemon posted:

wtf the “Barcentric” 2×‐friendly dropper lever that I ordered on Aliexpress from an 80% positive feedback seller arrived, and it’s exactly what it’s supposed to be.

I thought that it was pretty likely that I would get nothing or a totally different product and have to file a dispute, but no, it probably came out of the same factory. Especially because it has the brand’s printing on it; that was only Photoshopped out for the listing.

That saved me sixty bucks, but not really because I would have settled for a PNW Puget at thirty instead of forking over seventy‐five for a Barcentric at Wolf Tooth’s prices. Options for 2×‐friendly levers aren’t great. Then again, I could have followed the maintenance thread title advice to use friction shifting in the front.

heh, I thought all of wolf tooth's stuff was manufactured domestically, but I checked and that particular dropper lever conspicuously does *not* say made in the USA on the product page

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

wolftooth makes all their stuff in house in minnesota afaik so it didn’t come from the same factory

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

On uphills you're probably right, on downhills there's no difference imo.

I will accept 50% right. I really don’t care what people do as long as they are respectful of the trails.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e.pilot posted:

wolftooth makes all their stuff in house in minnesota afaik so it didn’t come from the same factory

They strayed and were hoisted with their own petard.

quote:

The vast majority of our products are made here in Minnesota in our machine shop. We strive to manufacture locally whenever possible. We have a few partners here in town that help us out when our machine shop is at capacity. We do have a small number of products and sub-components that are sourced nationally and internationally.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

They strayed and were hoisted with their own petard.

well that’s lame :bahgawd:

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Got a few new features down today; one that I'd been staring at for a long time and another I'd never seen before. Nice day of progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOlD-g-8nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6x8hnaVPy0

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Got a few new features down today; one that I'd been staring at for a long time and another I'd never seen before. Nice day of progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOlD-g-8nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6x8hnaVPy0

dope

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
any considerations when buying a front mud guard or are the cheap ones on amazon that you install with cable ties good enough?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
yeah fenders are a pretty basic piece of cut plastic, as long as the coverage is good get one that looks cool

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I imagine the only difference between a name brand mudguard and an amazon allcaps mudguard is that the latter will say "CJNGIADF" instead of "Mucky Nutz" so it is an all around improvement

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

prom candy posted:

any considerations when buying a front mud guard or are the cheap ones on amazon that you install with cable ties good enough?

I like ground keeper just because they usually have some with style vs generic black. It also doesn't say MUCKY NUTZ!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

Get a twofer, buy a set of Spank Spoon handlebars and the packaging they come in turns into a mudguard :science:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ropes4u posted:

I don’t think regular bikes tear up the trail nearly as much as e-bikes - am I wrong?
Yes and no. The amount of wear created by a vehicle is related to the forces applied, which is impacted by weight, contact patch, amount of power being applied, and amount of slip.

Obviously an e-bike is going to be heavier than a normal one, but well within the margin of error of rider weight variance. Contact patch is the same, and e-bikes of course can deliver more power and thus produce more slip than a normal bike but that also entirely comes down to how you ride it.

Someone who's casually riding their e-assist bike up a hill is likely causing less wear than a strong rider pumping hard up the same hill, and someone just ripping the throttle on an e-dirtbike is likely the worst.

I suspect that the smoother power delivery of an e-assist bike might actually make them cause less wear than the variable pumping energy delivery from a strong human rider keeping the same pace when compared apples to apples, but I don't have data to back that up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

Yes and no. The amount of wear created by a vehicle is related to the forces applied, which is impacted by weight, contact patch, amount of power being applied, and amount of slip.

Obviously an e-bike is going to be heavier than a normal one, but well within the margin of error of rider weight variance. Contact patch is the same, and e-bikes of course can deliver more power and thus produce more slip than a normal bike but that also entirely comes down to how you ride it.

Someone who's casually riding their e-assist bike up a hill is likely causing less wear than a strong rider pumping hard up the same hill, and someone just ripping the throttle on an e-dirtbike is likely the worst.

I suspect that the smoother power delivery of an e-assist bike might actually make them cause less wear than the variable pumping energy delivery from a strong human rider keeping the same pace when compared apples to apples, but I don't have data to back that up.
From my casual experience helping with trail maintenance, euro e-bikes are almost identical to legs-only MTBs, 250w just isn't a lot of power.
The bikes with throttles and real engines (EV or not) can be horrid. One rear end in a top hat braaaaaping his way up the trail makes it look like a hundred world tour riders pedaled up it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

250w just isn't a lot of power.
mods

:negative:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I wish we’d have gotten out ahead of e-bike regulations in the US, I have zero qualms with treating 250w pedal assist e-bikes as normal bikes with regards to trail access. That combined with a normal person’s effort is about what a strong rider would be.

The ones that have throttles and a bazillion watts are terrors on the trails, paved and otherwise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

it’s not a lot for a trails. it IS a lot for the me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also that's comparing input to output

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
New bike day! But not for me, for my wife. 2014-ish Fuel EX 8, deore XT drivetrain, avid juicy brakes, fox float front and rear suspension.

She's been wanting to get into mountain biking for a while now. Our local bike shop got this in as a trade-in and it's her size and in impeccable condition, not terrible for $550.

We also got to meet the new manager, a former Honduras national team MTB coach. He's starting up a free club for meet-ups, coaching, and general good times so we're excited about that.

I want to track down a backup set of tires before 26" is impossible to get ahold of, but I'm hoping I won't have to track down any other parts. I'm open to suggestions about what tires specifically to look at for fairly mild trail riding.

Feel free to tell us we're crazy for getting an old 26er but she loves it so it won't change anything.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Feel free to tell us we're crazy for getting an old 26er but she loves it so it won't change anything.

The best bike you have is the one you ride.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

New bike day! But not for me, for my wife. 2014-ish Fuel EX 8, deore XT drivetrain, avid juicy brakes, fox float front and rear suspension.

She's been wanting to get into mountain biking for a while now. Our local bike shop got this in as a trade-in and it's her size and in impeccable condition, not terrible for $550.

We also got to meet the new manager, a former Honduras national team MTB coach. He's starting up a free club for meet-ups, coaching, and general good times so we're excited about that.

I want to track down a backup set of tires before 26" is impossible to get ahold of, but I'm hoping I won't have to track down any other parts. I'm open to suggestions about what tires specifically to look at for fairly mild trail riding.

Nice bike. Berm Peak, just redid a Trek Fuel 9 from about the same era that might help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqY1DnoXlSc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The first thing I notice about older MTBs is how steep they look compared to modern ones.
I wonder if using an angleset headset (to get, say, 1.5deg of slack) is net-beneficial to handling. Longer wheelbase, less nervous descending?
But then also higher trail numbers which might make turning feel weird on climbs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I don’t think you need backup tires. You may not be able to get the latest tread/compound but they will be out there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kimbo305 posted:

The first thing I notice about older MTBs is how steep they look compared to modern ones.
I wonder if using an angleset headset (to get, say, 1.5deg of slack) is net-beneficial to handling. Longer wheelbase, less nervous descending?
But then also higher trail numbers which might make turning feel weird on climbs.

It’s time for a mullet, and maybe a fork with some extra travel.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Snowing in town today, so I think my MTB season is officially over! My wife and I booked a trip to Italy for April, and I convinced her to tack on a week in Finale Ligure so I can get a jump on next summer's riding (our trails will be snowbound until at least May, likely). Super stoked to get out there; if anyone has recommendations on a guide company, I'd love to hear them.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

rains are here, so i put on the thicc downhill tires and a rear fender. looking forward to sliding around in the mud until june!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
18C and sunny here tomorrow. Season is going way later than I expected. Winter is coming though and now that I'm addicted to going fast in the woods I need to decide between getting a fat bike and taking up skiing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What air shock should I buy for my Norco Optic? It’s 190x45 and according to cascade it has 17% progressions. I have a shock that isn’t holding air despite multiple rebuilds. I’ve looked a bit at cane creek and ohlins.

Also who makes e fatbikes aside from Norco?

n8r fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 26, 2023

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Got the Ripley out before the snow hits, happy with the purchase

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
New bike day again, this time for me. Picked up the 2021 marlin 7 I asked about earlier in the thread, stock except grips and saddle, with deore xt flats. He rode it <20 miles last year, <20 miles this year and at that point he figured he didn't need it.

After going out riding the local trails with my wife and her new bike I was ambivalent as to whether I needed a mountain bike or I could keep getting by with my 90s trek 800 sport drop bar conversion. My wife looked me right in the eyes and said "Oldsrocket, you need a mountain bike." I'm not going to argue. We're going to be spending a lot of time at the trails, it sounds like. :)

Pictures to come tomorrow, probably in the "show us your bike" thread. It's dark out there by now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You are going to laugh at the scale of upgrade that is. Grats.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mz6m4WcJeg

:eyepop:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
About this time last year, a few months into mountain biking, I attempted to ride the van Michael trail at blankets creek, ga. It loving killed me, I got to the half loop connector and knew I had to take it, the rest of it sucked, and I was too tired to enjoy the downhills.

Today I decided to give it another shot - and absolutley ripped up the full 4 miles. Felt pretty good! Real progression. Getting a lot better at climbing a root on an uphill too, but it still sucks and I wish they didn't exist.
After that I kept going on some of my regular trails, hit some flow trails, and managed a personal best for distance & elevation in a single ride.

I also met a group riding and got myself added to a group text they use to plan their rides. Good day!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's been over 6 months since my last ride. I had surgery in late September to relieve the pressure on my pinched nerve in my L4/5 disc. I'm happy to report that the surgery went well and I'm feeling 98% better than before.

I even got to bring my little 5-test old buddy with me for his first trail ride. He whined and cried a lot, but he still did a couple miles with me. I hope he wants to do it again, because he rode really well and didn't fall over.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nocheez posted:

It's been over 6 months since my last ride. I had surgery in late September to relieve the pressure on my pinched nerve in my L4/5 disc. I'm happy to report that the surgery went well and I'm feeling 98% better than before.

I even got to bring my little 5-test old buddy with me for his first trail ride. He whined and cried a lot, but he still did a couple miles with me. I hope he wants to do it again, because he rode really well and didn't fall over.

Glad the surgery was successful! And good job to that B-boy.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I almost died on a blue trail today ama

a mate pointed me at a line that was "good for practicing drops but maybe stop after the first one" and i was like ok sick, so I did the first one and handled it pretty primo so I was like lets just see the rest of this line through

well about halfway through there's another drop that *surely* is twice the height at least and onto like, flat?! maybe if you hit it with enough speed you land on a downslope but I was going pretty fast (which is why I didn't stop when I saw it) and it was a true "I am about to die going over the bars" moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Been having good weekends at bryce. This past sunday didnt notice the lift attendant flipped the rear lockout on accident when unloading. It was fine all the way down til i was just cruising through the grass at the bottom, hit a rut, and the damper exploded.

Very interesting pop, at first I thought it was the frame it was so loud. Cane Creek has a good fit replacement upgrade for about what a rebuild would cost. I look forward to opening up the old one to see how mangled it is.