Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh huh, I've been using Chrome + ublock for ages because the ads kept getting through on Firefox even when the blocker was up to date. I figured they were just being more lenient on Chrome just to get me to use their browser. Guess it was just a coincidentally usable setup, we'll see if/when it stops working for me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know why, but I don't get ads on YouTube -- instead I get 15 seconds of a gray screen and eventually "skip ad" will appear. I think I'd rather just have the ads :\

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Making friends with magpies is so easy it's almost more work not to, so lol eat poo poo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I get the same badly translated AI voiced online gambling ad before every YouTube video.

I've blocked it at least a dozen times and every time the info says it's from a different person in a different country than every other time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just pay for YouTube red

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I use Google Rewards to make money to pay for YouTube Premium.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
I've been using Brave and when the warning first came up, I right-clicked and used 'Block element'. Haven't seen it since. You can also go to custom filters and add:

accounts.youtube.com###container

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

In conclussion,

The Final TBI

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Technically Chrome is based on Safari, not the other way around.

No more than Safari is based on khtml at this point, really.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

YouTube Premium gives you ad-free YouTube and YouTube Music. It's quite a deal

:homebrew:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Buncha loving shills itt

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm buying my music on Bandcamp and not giving Google any money. Don't have to worry about them killing the ability to access my media that way too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bandcamp recently got sold, and half or more of the staff got laid off. If you have anything on Bandcamp you want to keep, I'd make sure you have a download of it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inceltown posted:

I'm buying my music on Bandcamp and not giving Google any money. Don't have to worry about them killing the ability to access my media that way too.

I've got some bad news about Bandcamp's new owners 😞
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/oct/17/bandcamp-lays-off-half-its-staff-after-buyout-by-songtradr

I use(d) them a lot too. When I can't get stuff there, I use Qobuz. As far as I know they don't pay artists as well as Bandcamp do/did, but one of their stated goals is to be ethical about this, and they certainly pay more than YouTube or Spotify.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah something like half the Bandcamp staff were laid off, including all the people involved in setting up their union.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/bandcamp-bargaining-union-layoffs-songtradr-18432047.php

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Inceltown posted:

This was a bit right?

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/xQ7l59v.mp4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Crab Dad posted:

This was a bit right?

lol

Well, to be fair, Bandcamp can't do a drat thing about the music I have bought from them that I have sitting on my phone and my home NAS, and if/when they go bust it will still be there.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm mostly seeing complaints from people on Chrome or Chrome derivatives like Opera. So it's really just :google: squeezing its own userbase for eyeballs and I guess just hoping people are too lazy to use an independent browser :confused:

Pictured: YouTube throwing its favorite users a party :yotj:

https://i.imgur.com/UPD7zzl.mp4

My wife's sister had this happen to her and she got third degree burns over most of her face, neck, and upper chest. Glad to see people in bars are just as dumb as they always have been.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

This was a bit right?

lol

I have a copy of all I've bought and Bandcamp going away doesn't break that.

Sucks that they got sold though. The internet was a mistake.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Was listening to an album playlist and started getting the ad block :nyd: popup on every new video. I could still X out and hit play manually but gently caress that, I just became a proud member of the Vivaldi army :patriot: Just have a window sitting on my 2nd monitor for youtube now and so far everything's :thumbsup:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It took me maybe a week and a half of Spotify with ads before I started paying for it but for some reason Youtube doesn't seem worth it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

null_pointer posted:

:homebrew:

Even if you pay for premium they demand you turn off your adblocker

At some point they're going to make premium users watch ads too

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Due to excessive laziness I haven't bothered asblovking utube. I just switch to another tab until the video is playing again.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

GotLag posted:

Even if you pay for premium they demand you turn off your adblocker

At some point they're going to make premium users watch ads too

have never seen this issue and they havent done the latter

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://imgur.com/6kRn8PR.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's one of those fiddly skill moves, you know if he'd connected that machine would be disintegrated into atoms

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's one of those fiddly skill moves, you know if he'd connected that machine would be disintegrated into atoms

the boxing machine just had superior head movement and timing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dr Robotnik lost to that Mean Machine's Bean.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Skill issue.

Get good at bunny hops.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Don't do it, champ!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

null_pointer posted:

Only until the ad blockers are defeated.

Then you will pay for the ads. You will all pay for the ads.

An extra 50-150% for the ad free experience of course.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Platystemon posted:

Skill issue.

Get good at bunny hops.

He tried, but was a fraction too late

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, he whiffed the fatality

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Skill issue.

Get good at bunny hops.

Not everyone can be Peter Sagan

Though if you skip to the comments section on videos of his bunny hops it's trivial and they do it every day.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Oct 20, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Schadenfreude averted:

https://twitter.com/IntermarcheCW/status/1661688650164326402

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1712846053039366328

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Oct 20, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Winner of the "stout" category at the 2023 Bollard Awards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

This is like some Unity physics bullshit. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It’s the angle of the dangle