Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I'm glad I held off buying a new laptop; I had to ditch my (aging) desktop when I moved and was planning on buying a gaming laptop to replace it, setting my specs ceiling/budget pretty much entirely for C:S2. For budget reasons I decided to put it off until the end of the year, turned out to be a good idea.

I had meant to look into whether any of the streaming gaming services offered it, appreciate the post from a few pages back! May try out the middle tier and see how I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Here's the CPP stream btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9_5opzu8HU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

VostokProgram posted:

Isn't Nanite only performant for truly static geometry, like completely baked into the scene at development time? CS2 buildings are static but they aren't that static, they appear and disappear and can be moved at any time.
Nanite assets are kinda "autonomous" in themselves, i.e. you can't apply modifiers on them that change the geometry, but they're not baked in the scene. In the UE5 update of Satisfactory, items on the belts are all Nanite enabled, so in advanced factories you have thousands of moving Nanite objects.

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't the video say that an empty but big city runs a lot better than one with agents, which suggests it is either agent based or the rendering of the agents which is causing it.
Combined with the claims of top down camera improving things, it points towards the rendering thing.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Eh still pre-ordered this. I remember musing when I got my 3060Ti that I wondered if I was going to actually use it to its fully potential for a game I actually wanted to play and here's the monkey paw curling.

That said, knowing what I know about software I wouldn't be surprised if they had to just had to stop wasting time troubleshooting optimization. I doubt that performance will get better, but every so often to get some dumb thing like like 4000000 tri's screw or silly_function() doing something non-obvious and calling the GPU 1000000x a frame for a shoe.

Or a mod that changes all agents to featureless unshaded cubes. Cube city. Get some cyberpunk LUTs going on that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a CS1 mod that doubles your framerate by fixing a very stupid choice? bug? in how the UI is rendered, so who knows what might be possible here.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a CS1 mod that doubles your framerate by fixing a very stupid choice? bug? in how the UI is rendered, so who knows what might be possible here.

The nature of the problem appears to be the game gobbling up VRAM making me think its a texture issue.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I saw some goons curious with my performance with the two PCs I have but I went ahead and withdrew my pre order. I am tired of spending money on games that are not finished and make terrible promises and I won't make that mistake again. I will be waiting until Paradox fixes their poo poo.

Ill still be playing regular cities as I love that game. With that said:

Grand Fromage posted:

What mod is this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I cancelled my preorder. I may still get it day one depending on what I see for more performance testing but right now I'm not confident enough to buy. Thinking about a couple days ago when I said I can't imagine what would surprise me at this point. :lol: I knew it was going to require a beefy machine but "chugs on a 4090" is well beyond what I was thinking.

Katamari Democracy posted:

What mod is this?

FPS Booster.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 20, 2023

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

So it's the new Crysis? Neat.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Yep, went ahead and canceled my order. Will purchase once I update my system or they push out a optimization fix.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've had this on the wish list for a long time, but didn't pre-order. Since I'm not really in the mood for a city-builder right now anyway I'm just gonna let this one cook for a while also and hope they work out the performance issues.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
While I maintain that no one should pre-order anything, I have come across a few videos that seem to indicate you might live even with below "recommended" settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gug8IxDaws

The good news is that the game appears highly customisable wrt graphics. The advanced options on display and the tweaks this guy in particular made on an 3060Ti makes me think you can and will be able to tweak settings so that you can run it at like 20-30 fps. Big thing I see is LoD seems to have a huge impact and people aren't turning off/down Ambient occlusion and shadow quality which in many games is a major driver for performance.

I personally am running a 5600X with a 3080 10GB model and will report on launch how it goes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I said it before but with this bad press and reaction and withdrawing of preorders they really should allow a demo install at some point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

While I maintain that no one should pre-order anything, I have come across a few videos that seem to indicate you might live even with below "recommended" settings.

The good news is that the game appears highly customisable wrt graphics. The advanced options on display and the tweaks this guy in particular made on an 3060Ti makes me think you can and will be able to tweak settings so that you can run it at like 20-30 fps. Big thing I see is LoD seems to have a huge impact and people aren't turning off/down Ambient occlusion and shadow quality which in many games is a major driver for performance.

I personally am running a 5600X with a 3080 10GB model and will report on launch how it goes.

:thunk:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
FSR 1.0 upscaler appears to be in the game as well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I said it before but with this bad press and reaction and withdrawing of preorders they really should allow a demo install at some point.

It is called PC Game pass, OP.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

am I insane or has nobody ever mentioned CS2 having RTGI and RT reflections because I feel like that maybe explains a lot of things

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never investigated game pass but looks like there's a $1 two week demo of it, that might be a good idea for this. Wonder if I'd be able to move a savegame over to Steam if it runs okay.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hah, just checked and my just-built PC is just a hair below recommended specs. Well, it will finally give it some exercise, I guess.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MikeC posted:

That sounds promising.
It is weird that people are using low angle shots, when doing these performance checks though.
I'll probably play with high / top down angle for 90+% of time. I assume that needs less resources.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

am I insane or has nobody ever mentioned CS2 having RTGI and RT reflections because I feel like that maybe explains a lot of things

It isn't ray tracing. The settings you screen capped showing ray stepping refer to techniques like screenspace reflections as well (which is also can be very taxing). A lot of these options seem to have a straight up "off" setting as well. Might not be doom and gloom if you are willing to spend half an hour diving into settings.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

It isn't ray tracing. The settings you screen capped showing ray stepping refer to techniques like screenspace reflections as well (which is also can be very taxing). A lot of these options seem to have a straight up "off" setting as well. Might not be doom and gloom if you are willing to spend half an hour diving into settings.

i have never seen GI denoisers talked about outside of the term referring to AI image reconstruction techniques used for ray tracing

e: "Half Resolution Denoiser," "Second Denoiser Pass" and "Denoiser Radius" are specifically settings for Unity's AI denoiser algorithm used with its ray traced global illumination implementation

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 20, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

i have never seen GI denoisers talked about outside of the term referring to AI image reconstruction techniques used for ray tracing

e: "Half Resolution Denoiser," "Second Denoiser Pass" and "Denoiser Radius" are specifically settings for Unity's AI denoiser algorithm used with its ray traced global illumination implementation

I am not a programmer so I dunno what to tell you but when the cursor was highlighted on the setting, it clearly stated "Selects the quality of the screen space global illumination". As far as I understand it, that clearly means it isn't RTGI.

VVVVVV: I mean that better be loving day one patched.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeC posted:

FSR 1.0 upscaler appears to be in the game as well.

But given what we know about the game not handling resolutions properly, quite possibly also currently borked.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeC posted:

I am not a programmer so I dunno what to tell you but when the cursor was highlighted on the setting, it clearly stated "Selects the quality of the screen space global illumination". As far as I understand it, that clearly means it isn't RTGI.

VVVVVV: I mean that better be loving day one patched.

i just looked at the actual documentation and they've got a mix of RTGI and SSGI options there lol

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@10.2/manual/Override-Screen-Space-GI.html

cities skylines 2 looking great so far

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... They made a highly scalability-sensitive game in Unity...?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Grade A car-brain.

I'm going to wait and ask this thread if I can build a transit-oriented city where car enjoyers are banished to Texas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are no pocket cars, you can control parking, and the base game has zonable pedestrian-only roads so a transit city should be doable out of the box. Theoretically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whether or not they drive or take transit in 2 is based on a whole multi-factor balance calculation including cost, time, convenience, parking, comfort and demographic preferences, so there's numerous tools available to you to lean them away from cars.

But also you can seemingly just build no-car streets and force the issue. No idea how that'll actually work out in practice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 20, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Citizens in 1 were already pretty willing to take transit or walk, the biggest problem IMO were the pocket cars. There was just no way to force people to use transit when at the slightest inconvenience they transform into a truck. In 2 if someone takes a train from home to somewhere, they have to take transit back because they don't have a car with them. And any car has to be parked, so if there simply is no parking at the destination then they won't drive.

None of us know how practical this is since the game's not out. Unless someone's released a video on it? I haven't seen anyone focus on transit yet.

All that said the road tools look really cool and I'm putting highways everywhere in my first city.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 20, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Issaries posted:

It is called PC Game pass, OP.

This and also every Steam game has a built in 2 hour demo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's stealth arg foreshadowing for the Transformers crossover

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The performance is panned everywhere. Local game magazine reviewer said with 5700X and 3090 he’s only getting 5-10fps in 70k pop city. And the game really begins only after 50k pops in his opinion.

Can’t remember another game release with this bad performance, maybe ever.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
German tech site Computerbase has a short preview of the test version. They are saying that the game definitely has performance issues but you can do a lot with the graphic settings. Disabling depth of field and a setting called "Volumetric" improves fps by 75%. I feel like there might be an issue in the implementation.

Right now the game only supports AMD FSR1. FSR 2, Nvidia DLSS or Intel XeSS are missing. The game folder does however contain a file called nvngx_dlss.dll, which is used for Nvidia's Super Resolution Sampling.

They have an example of a town with a population of 40000. The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D was doing a good amount of work but the limiting factor, even in 1080p, was still the RTX 4090.

https://www.computerbase.de/2023-10/cities-skylines-ii-erste-eigene-erfahrungen-mit-der-pc-version/

I really hope Digital Foundry are taking a look at this one.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 20, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

OddObserver posted:

... They made a highly scalability-sensitive game in Unity...?

That's unironically why CS1 has such an active modding scene.

E: Like I'm not kidding. A lot of the really good mods came from Unity's file structure being fairly easy to reverse engineer and its game code being C# which is very easy to break into. All mods that modify game behaviors or UI owe their origins to .NET's facilities for modifying code at runtime and inserting or replacing functions. Had it been C++ or whatever it would've needed much more time and dedication.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 20, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You would be an idiot to start a new project in Unity now, but it's a perfectly fine choice if you want to get a game out the door in a reasonable amount of time. All the grisly simulation stuff is going to live in custom code anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Well, I was looking forward to very few games, this was one of them, and it looks like I'll be skipping it too because I don't have a supercomputer at home. After the first CS it's a disappointment, I don't know who this game is supposedly for.
Maybe sometime in the future, at least for now I'll save myself the install time and money.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 20, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I have a 2060 still but games have been pretty good about running on it others I do on my PS5 but no way in hell would I ever do a game like this on a console, this performance poo poo is the worst.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Wasn't planning any pre-order anyways, Paradox has burned way to much goodwill for that to be a consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

lagidnam posted:

Right now the game only supports AMD FSR1.

:psyduck: