Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Lmao that's a solid tweet

E oh oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ninjewtsu posted:

i think objectively twitter is extremely horny for that scene and i suspect the fujo crowd is too

i would be surprised if the animation director wasn't at least aware of this potential outcome when making these decisions, because it seems very predictable and it probably is not their first rodeo with this manner of social media engagement

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Insane ep.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Choso fight was great. They took a great fight from the manga and elevated it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That was an amazing piece of direction.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
That was incredibly enjoyable to watch. The animation was super smooth and detailed and the cuts flowed really well which kept the action easy to follow. Also, some fun creative choices like when Mechamaru is explaining Choso's abilities. Fantastic episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maera Sior posted:

That was an amazing piece of direction.

Yeah this holy poo poo

The callback to the first cursed painting fight is loving sick

Char
Jan 5, 2013
that first person convergence

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Char posted:

that first person convergence

A number of great, novel cinema choices in this episode that really elevate it above your bog standard anime. Lots of interesting perspectives, shots, first person moments.

Fantastic! Took what is definitely one of the top fights in the entire series and somehow made it better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah a really great fight this episode. Also I really love the OP of this arc.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
they even played the crazy rock song from when Yuji kicked rear end last season

Yuji is fuckin terrifying the more you think about him

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This seems like a good time to check the official AMV for Remember again. What a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4xJ6Is0zQ

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 20, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the entire episode was just one long, incredible fight scene

i love this show

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My girl loves when I cut her in half with a compressed blood laser.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 20, 2023

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Jerkface posted:

A number of great, novel cinema choices in this episode that really elevate it above your bog standard anime. Lots of interesting perspectives, shots, first person moments.

Fantastic! Took what is definitely one of the top fights in the entire series and somehow made it better.

another shot immediately reminded me of

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

This seems like a good time to check the official AMV for Remember again. What a great song.

https://youtu.be/-Z4xJ6Is0zQ?si=T6q_YviKU7QRfFlI

Man, Nobara looked cool too.

Oh well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nobara is always on that Queen poo poo. Her power is super cool and she always looks awesome using it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Everything about that episode went hard. The action direction was great, storyboarding, compositing/lighting. Just incredible. The fake memories switching to 4:3 and the VHS look to emphasise the artifice.

This might be one of the best pieces of action I've seen in a while and this show was already setting the bar high.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

In the effort to figure out wtf just happened, I rewatched the fight with the previous brothers and then the bit at the end of this one. All three brothers are using cursed blood techniques and they also seem to be able to feel each other other. So maybe when Yuji's (Sukuna's?) blood mixed with Choso's, he somehow got incorporated into the brothers' blood bond(????) and thus the fake memories. I'm not sure why Choso didn't hit Yuji though, that came first and the blood mixing happened afterwards. It's sort of implied that Sukuna scared him off, but Sukuna sounded more like he's talking to Yuji. I assume this will be cleared up next episode.

The idea of the brain guy as the one who created the death paintings/fetuses is still rattling around in my head. Brain knew those cursed objects existed and there's this vague implication in the second opening that the guy who made them was arrested (was this stated?), so it's not clear just how many sorcerers knew of them. Brain could be the curse as a result of that guy dying wrong (captured by the civilian police?), or maybe he took him over after he was imprisoned and got access to the memories that way, or maybe he actually controlled the guy when he made (some of) them.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
You can really tell when the team behind an anime is having fun and are being given enough resources/time/creative vision to create cool and fun stuff

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Maera Sior posted:

In the effort to figure out wtf just happened, I rewatched the fight with the previous brothers and then the bit at the end of this one. All three brothers are using cursed blood techniques and they also seem to be able to feel each other other. So maybe when Yuji's (Sukuna's?) blood mixed with Choso's, he somehow got incorporated into the brothers' blood bond(????) and thus the fake memories. I'm not sure why Choso didn't hit Yuji though, that came first and the blood mixing happened afterwards. It's sort of implied that Sukuna scared him off, but Sukuna sounded more like he's talking to Yuji. I assume this will be cleared up next episode.

The idea of the brain guy as the one who created the death paintings/fetuses is still rattling around in my head. Brain knew those cursed objects existed and there's this vague implication in the second opening that the guy who made them was arrested (was this stated?), so it's not clear just how many sorcerers knew of them. Brain could be the curse as a result of that guy dying wrong (captured by the civilian police?), or maybe he took him over after he was imprisoned and got access to the memories that way, or maybe he actually controlled the guy when he made (some of) them.

I assumed it was something specific to Yuji, because a similar thing happened when he fought Todo, but Todo is nuts so he just accepted the fake memories.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I assumed it was something specific to Yuji, because a similar thing happened when he fought Todo, but Todo is nuts so he just accepted the fake memories.

I had assumed that was just Tojo, like the part where he mentally had a classroom conversation with that pinup-type girl. But I guess that could be the case.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

I had assumed that was just Tojo, like the part where he mentally had a classroom conversation with that pinup-type girl. But I guess that could be the case.

Interestingly enough, that part didn't have a change in aspect ratio like there were with the Todo's and Choso's fake flashbacks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sam Faust posted:

Interestingly enough, that part didn't have a change in aspect ratio like there were with the Todo's and Choso's fake flashbacks.

I think that the high school was daydreaming while the other was hypnosis from Sukuna, that's why there was no aspect ration change.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I think that the high school was daydreaming while the other was hypnosis from Sukuna, that's why there was no aspect ration change.

Yeah, I assumed the first was Tojo daydreaming as well. Choso's mind is clearly being actively hosed with.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It happening once you could chalk it up to Todo being weird, the fact it happened twice and to someone who wasn't primed to actually like Itadori means there's something to it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I just checked episode 15. There *is* an aspect ratio shift in the daydream/changed memories. More importantly, just before that there's a piece where Yuji apparently has access to Toji's memories (he knew Takada-chan was an idol even though he doesn't like idols).

That is so clever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This is all interesting, because to be honest while watching this I realized I’m a little bored of the fact the Yuji is pretty much just a punch man

That doesn’t detract from this episode being great, though

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yuji seems to have gone back to his delayed-action double punch, I thought there was a whole bit and the end of the last season about how that move sucked?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the true potential of VHS Pasta Memory Fabrication(?!), the ultimate combat technique

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
There was an after credits scene that seemed to imply that perhaps those two girls that are with Getou assisted Yuji. Perhaps the lights and signs flickering is also some clue? Since that happened right before the final punch and continued to happen afterwards.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am anime only, but the end of episode implying that Yuji has the classic shonen hero "power" to make friends, except in this case it's a literal magic ability to brainwash people into being his friend is pretty hilarious.

Cedilla
Jul 24, 2020
Brilliant episode, my favorite this arc.

But also, this season's EDs are UNREAL. These people are at the top of their game. The part of Hidden Inventory's that starts around 31.5 seconds in is my favorite, and I could watch the shot where Riko's crossing the street for hours. The one for this arc is also excellent.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

On top of that, they've done an amazing job of animating a real life environment. Huge upgrade over the endless wastelands of past shounen battles. Battles mean more when you see the damage.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fights are just better when you know the geography and physical space. The use of the bathroom and its stalls was fantastic. I’ve never been unclear on where anyone is in relation to each other or what obstacles they face in this season. Just fantastic blocking and choreography with the locations all around.

Cedilla
Jul 24, 2020
Sakugablog has a new post up about the JJK production, and it looks like it's not in a great place, despite the quality of the result:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2023/10/24/creators-rebelling-against-the-odds-jujutsu-kaisen-season-2-production-notes-1-13/

quote:

The fact that a lot of people, including the often more critical artists and animation nerds, find themselves appreciating many aspects of the resulting work speaks about the skill and effort of the team behind it. But don’t get it twisted: JJK2’s planning has been demonstrably cruel, and for as brilliant as the staff’s vision can be, their execution is fundamentally compromised; what started with shortcomings they could navigate around with grace went on to become rough edges they couldn’t simply hide, and by now, even placeholders for entirely missing or unfinished cuts are a recurring issue.

It’s impossible to avoid mixed feelings when seeing a team full of apologetic artists who know they’ve left some of their more ambitious and compelling ideas on the cutting floor, or have seen them nerfed beyond recognition amidst the rush to meet deadlines, when it’s still resulting in a much better produced work than you could reasonably expect from its schedule.

Besides the commentary on the production, there's also great coverage of the animation itself. Another good Sakugablog post.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how they had to keep qualifying how Gojo was the exception to everything.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Cedilla posted:

Sakugablog has a new post up about the JJK production, and it looks like it's not in a great place, despite the quality of the result:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2023/10/24/creators-rebelling-against-the-odds-jujutsu-kaisen-season-2-production-notes-1-13/

Besides the commentary on the production, there's also great coverage of the animation itself. Another good Sakugablog post.

Ironic.

Cedilla
Jul 24, 2020

Char posted:

Ironic.

Sorry, can you elaborate a bit?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cedilla posted:

Sorry, can you elaborate a bit?

This week's episode was them very clearly hitting a wall because aside from a couple of cuts it was pretty rough all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
He looks so happy