Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I've been eyeing the Camaro ever since it got released/announced because creator cars were what got me back into Lego but something about it has always felt off to me, probably just because it's so close but different from the Mustang. I do love the little touches like the nickel and the magazine on the back seat. I finally got it because it was on sale plus double VIP points and I don't regret it one bit. In fact doing the Camaro and Corvette back to back is a nice experience in itself because they're just so differently built. Zero regrets either way!

Carbohydrates posted:

I kind of want it just for the Charger B-model on RB, honestly.

Oooh, tempting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I have always wondered as someone who isn't a big Marvel fan, why does Lego almost wholly ignore 90s X-Men? It's like, the one Marvel thing that sets my nostalgia buttons off, but they never do anything from it. Seems like it would have decent enough broad appeal and it would also have 90s kids locked in, cause that cartoon and the toys were so popular. They did do one Black Bird set with a Sentinel (that I did pick up, but it's junk. Good minifigs though) with about 1/3rd of the X-Men, and then there's like one 90s wolverine in the new CMF line and that is basically it.

If they made a premium version of this set or split it up into a couple sets I wouldn't be able to resist as long as all the Xmen were included. At least do a Sentinel at the same scale as the original big Hulkbuster (the $129 one not the huge one)

There's a D2C premium X-Mansion coming sometime next year to tie into the new X-Men cartoon.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It was the rights holder split in the movie right ownership I think. MCU was (is?) hot property X-men were already somewhat over in terms of new content, and Lego didn’t have Disney pushing them to make any X-men sets probably.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

If they made a premium version of this set or split it up into a couple sets I wouldn't be able to resist as long as all the Xmen were included. At least do a Sentinel at the same scale as the original big Hulkbuster (the $129 one not the huge one)

There's been rumors of a new Black Bird set coming next year for $80. That old one was $50 and 334 pieces for comparison.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
WITNESS ME!

I got a little carried away with my Mad Max build. I hope you'll indulge me as I post this build log showing how the project grew.

Start with the Dodge Charger Speed Champions set.

And now some screen caps for reference...

Ok, some tanks on the back. Ditch the rear window. Exhaust on the sides. No hub caps. Change up the rear pillars. Done. Actually that looks :mediocre: Let's look for more pictures.

poo poo, the War Boys scraped all the paint off. I'm not starting over with another color. I'll embiggen the rear wheels, add the fire, skull, and add that gun thing to the back though. That bracing too.

Looking better.

Let's get a closer at the back.

Some kind grill and a tank. No problem. I could clip something onto the end of the ladder...

Thunderpoon! (Yes, that is what they are called.)

I think that captures it.

Lets take a closer look at the front.

I'm still not satisfied. What can I add? Something iconic from the movie.

Heck yeah!

He's mounted to the front of a different car in the movie! Shut up, this is rad, he's staying. The roof is kinda boring though. 100% fidelity to the movie just went out the window. I could put something up there.

Not something, some one. The Doof Warrior!

Now its :perfect:

RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
:perfect: dang

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man watching Dark Harvest and there’s a C1 Corvette early in the movie and it’s just downright disappointing how little the Lego model captures the back 1/3 of the car

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
That Mad Max car is absolutely amazing

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mitochondritom posted:

Ooh.. I've just booked to goto Billund next week. Taking my daughter too, I've never been. Any suggestions about Legoland there? Or Billund in general?

Check out the lego house exclusive buildable pirate captain minifig. I would love to have that buy really can't justify a trip to Billund to buy a 100€ set.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
There’s a couple of other LEGO House exclusives too, like this one https://www.brothers-brick.com/2021/03/01/the-next-lego-house-exclusive-set-revealed-40502-the-brick-moulding-machine-news/

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

deoju posted:

WITNESS ME!

I got a little carried away with my Mad Max build. I hope you'll indulge me as I post this build log showing how the project grew.

Start with the Dodge Charger Speed Champions set.

And now some screen caps for reference...

Ok, some tanks on the back. Ditch the rear window. Exhaust on the sides. No hub caps. Change up the rear pillars. Done. Actually that looks :mediocre: Let's look for more pictures.

poo poo, the War Boys scraped all the paint off. I'm not starting over with another color. I'll embiggen the rear wheels, add the fire, skull, and add that gun thing to the back though. That bracing too.

Looking better.

Let's get a closer at the back.

Some kind grill and a tank. No problem. I could clip something onto the end of the ladder...

Thunderpoon! (Yes, that is what they are called.)

I think that captures it.

Lets take a closer look at the front.

I'm still not satisfied. What can I add? Something iconic from the movie.

Heck yeah!

He's mounted to the front of a different car in the movie! Shut up, this is rad, he's staying. The roof is kinda boring though. 100% fidelity to the movie just went out the window. I could put something up there.

Not something, some one. The Doof Warrior!

Now its :perfect:

RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME!

A thing of beauty. You could also check the Mad Max game for references as they nailed the look and feel of the cars there.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Man the gunship showed up crazy fast (yesterday, basically two day shipping, including warehouse time) so that was cool, and also I got the Aladdin castle deal because I love that line. Good build a little disappointed that it has no minifig whatsoever. Lots and lots of what I think is drum lacquer gold though, for some arches and radar dish type of pieces.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
So um, I was flipping through the lego catalog, is Sora’s Transforming Mech Bike Racer as cool as it looks? 10 year old me would love that.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

ohhyeah posted:

So um, I was flipping through the lego catalog, is Sora’s Transforming Mech Bike Racer as cool as it looks? 10 year old me would love that.

https://youtu.be/SRg6kfyojCs

I don't know what opinions are on Jang in the community, but his thoughts tend to jive with mine so I go with it. I wasn't aware of this thing and even with the fixed knee joints, it's going on my list.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

He gets hung up on weird stuff sometimes but his reviews are usually good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dogen posted:

He gets hung up on weird stuff sometimes but his reviews are usually good.

He seems to have settled down now but for a couple of years after the last major YouTube policy shift watching his content was like watching someone die inside.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Jang has gotten better but yeah his videos were extremely bitter for a while. It was kind of unwatchable. Felt like every video would have a section where he would, like, imagine what people might say in the comments about what he said, and then argue against that for a while.

Also, I wrote another article for BrickNerd. Wheeee

https://bricknerd.com/home/molds-over-time-part-2-how-part-updates-change-build-techniques-10-19-23

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What was the Jang issue? That you can’t review “kids toys” on YouTube and get advertising?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

Jang has gotten better but yeah his videos were extremely bitter for a while. It was kind of unwatchable. Felt like every video would have a section where he would, like, imagine what people might say in the comments about what he said, and then argue against that for a while.

Also, I wrote another article for BrickNerd. Wheeee

https://bricknerd.com/home/molds-over-time-part-2-how-part-updates-change-build-techniques-10-19-23

The quality of his reviews, in terms of production and editing etc seem to be by far the best in the YouTube arena, but he definitely gives off strong vibes of being totally fed up with it and beholden to doing it (despite seemingly wealthy enough to clearly not have to). I actually blocked his stuff for a while because it was sort of depressing to watch, but returned because he shows the sets so much better than anyone else.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

smackfu posted:

What was the Jang issue? That you can’t review “kids toys” on YouTube and get advertising?

Iirc there were some changes to YouTube a couple of years back that drastically dropped his view count, like his subscribers weren't seeing his new videos etc and he was a bit pissed off about that, coupled with being getting annoyed at some of his viewers who'd criticise him for not reviewing the sets they wanted him to, or accuse him of being a Lego shill or whatever. Just seemed a bit burned out. Idk all the details but he made a new channel purely for reviews and I've been enjoying it a lot more lately, he seems more chill again.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I took my Exo Suit out of storage a little while ago. I remember there was some discussion on how one particular piece kept popping off for everybody across AFOL communities. Crappy clutch from an old used up mold. Here's the culprit.

Out of curiousity and boredom, I decided to measure the piece against another I had.

And I a normal plate for reference.

So there you have it. A variance of +0.14mm or about +59/10,000th of an inch creates a noticeably poor clutch for an anti-stud. And +0.19mm or +75/10,000th of an inch for a clip.

Feel free to use this information to impress your friends and intimidate your enemies.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 19, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

deoju posted:

Feel free to share this information to impress your friends

My what now?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flyinglemur posted:

My what now?

Your minifigs

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Iirc there were some changes to YouTube a couple of years back that drastically dropped his view count, like his subscribers weren't seeing his new videos etc and he was a bit pissed off about that, coupled with being getting annoyed at some of his viewers who'd criticise him for not reviewing the sets they wanted him to, or accuse him of being a Lego shill or whatever. Just seemed a bit burned out. Idk all the details but he made a new channel purely for reviews and I've been enjoying it a lot more lately, he seems more chill again.

I respect Jang a lot for not enrolling in the lego review program or whatever and getting early access to the sets for free but I get the impression he expected that to be more of a selling point to his channel than it turned out to be. Turns out that people are more into seeing early reviews than Jang doing a reaction to the Lego store page.

I like Racing Brick and Tiago a lot

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also both of them are suitable ASMR, Jang is not

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I respect Jang a lot for not enrolling in the lego review program or whatever and getting early access to the sets for free but I get the impression he expected that to be more of a selling point to his channel than it turned out to be. Turns out that people are more into seeing early reviews than Jang doing a reaction to the Lego store page.

I like Racing Brick and Tiago a lot

The funniest complaint is when various Euro retailers break street date and do unboxing before the official reviewers embargo is up. They are pretty spicy about that.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tiago is good. I also watch this one small Lego youtuber, Bricksie. I don't know, I like seeing him build his Lego city.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

the big thing i remember was him getting mad at people criticizing his MOCs

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Tiago is good. I also watch this one small Lego youtuber, Bricksie. I don't know, I like seeing him build his Lego city.

Tiago is fine, though he's the only one I would accuse of being an actual lego shill.

MandR is too focused on star wars specifically. Not necessarily a problem, but its the majority of his stuff. That and Q&A vids which I cannot be bothered to watch. But his big thing is that he will actually bother to call lego out for doing stupid poo poo or degrading standards. But some of that can feel clickbaity.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Racingbrick is my favorite by far, since he covers the techniques, elements, and actual build much more than the other guys. Jang and Tiago are fine. MandR isn't even in the conversation - unless he suddenly became radically better in the past couple years. I have him mentally filed away as pure clickbait trash.

edit: also Jang does his homework far less than the other reviewers. He clearly doesn't watch designer interviews or keep up with new elements so he frequently doesn't know if an element or technique is new, and misses details and "why is this in the set" type stuff. Which is fine, if you like the more off-the-cuff casual review style, but it's definitely less comprehensive.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 20, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
MandR occasionally does decent/useful videos. His comparison videos are pretty good at showing the relevant aspects of the sets and every so often he'll do a moc video which is actually fun. But mostly it's complaining about helmet holes or that the scene on the box doesn't match the one in the movie or that the UCS gunship has a different coloured yellow figure to the one it should.

EllieV is good for her target audience because she mixes up a lot of MOC/creative stuff in amongst the reviews of Friends etc.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is there a channel that ever does roundups of just new pieces and recolours for a wave? I use Tips and Bricks on Instagram for that currently, but it's still set by set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Racingbrick is my favorite by far, since he covers the techniques, elements, and actual build much more than the other guys. Jang and Tiago are fine. MandR isn't even in the conversation - unless he suddenly became radically better in the past couple years. I have him mentally filed away as pure clickbait trash.

edit: also Jang does his homework far less than the other reviewers. He clearly doesn't watch designer interviews or keep up with new elements so he frequently doesn't know if an element or technique is new, and misses details and "why is this in the set" type stuff. Which is fine, if you like the more off-the-cuff casual review style, but it's definitely less comprehensive.

Jang used to be really good, but he definitely hasn't kept with the times and RB and Tiago have taken over him for me. I do like Jang still, but keeping up with his multiple channels became a chore.

I agree about M&R, he was and still is awful. He's also on that uncomfortable line for me where his personal views detract from any pleasure I could get from him, even though he doesn't espouse them too often. Cutting him, Just2Good and a couple of others out of my algorithm did wonders for my positivity towards the hobby.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
all this talk of lego youtubers and no one's mentioned rr slugger? the goat???? sure he doesn't review new sets basically ever but he's got the full dirt on every aspect of rock raiders AND adventure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Just2good transitioned recently and seems in a better place personally at least.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Just2good transitioned recently and seems in a better place personally at least.

Good for them, I'm happy to hear that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there a channel that ever does roundups of just new pieces and recolours for a wave? I use Tips and Bricks on Instagram for that currently, but it's still set by set.
No, but NewE started doing it monthly about a year ago and is an invaluable resource. If you only visit the site for this and this alone, it'll be worth your time.

https://www.newelementary.com/2023/10/what-are-new-lego-parts-for-october.html

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

No, but NewE started doing it monthly about a year ago and is an invaluable resource. If you only visit the site for this and this alone, it'll be worth your time.

https://www.newelementary.com/2023/10/what-are-new-lego-parts-for-october.html

Ayyyyyy, that's the stuff. Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Haven’t been following New Elementary since I quit Twitter. Any good mastodon Lego accounts to follow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
So i went to london brickfest last weekend. I got a 2010 3 in 1 creator house.

I've only built modern stuff and like sets from the 90s before. Interesting to see how different it was in the 2010s.

Main thing to note is the base plates, two 16x32s give the thing a footprint the same as a modular! The other interesting thing is the complete lack of an interior. Therse a ladder up to the esond floor but thats it. No furniture, no counters, the floor is just the green baseplate.

Interesting building it too, almost completely built from the bottom up.

The instructions are huge, a whole a4 size image is given to every step, you'll see a double page where pnly a couple of pieces are added. The innovation that black pieces be printed with white oultines was also later as they appear in dark grey.

All in all a pretty cool experience. I am gunna break it down and try one of the alt builds tho, simply because they onlt use one baseplate so it wont take quite so much room to display