Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whirling posted:

Eh I like Punpun but it feels like it was made largely because Asano was tired of being typecast as a guy who only makes feel-good slice of life stuff, so some things come off as trying too hard. Still, it beats Oshimi stuff, where people will go absolutely feral for no real reason other than to drive the plot forward.

I like Inio Asano's stuff well enough, but his works tend to focus heavily on "the ennui of a certain sort of guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

bitmap posted:

I wanna read something new. sell me on it.

The gist of it is that a writer adopts her teenage niece after her niece's parents die in a car accident, and what follows is them learning to live with each other and how this changes them both. What I really like about it is that it never really becomes mawkish or schmaltzy despite the subject matter tending towards that in other manga in this vein, and that the characters are written with a lot of maturity and realism to them. The aunt doesn't instantly learn to love her niece or vice versa, considering that the aunt absolutely hated her sister and is an extreme introvert (one could honestly argue that she is probably autistic, but its never stated) to the point where she often comes off as really cold when talking with others, interacting with just one person is an ordeal, and having to deal with two in a single night completely wipes her out, while the kid is obviously processing this horrible event that happened to her and is also sort of the opposite of her aunt in that she's pretty extroverted and generally very kind to others. Again, this could be cloying if it were by a less skilled writer, but its all portrayed as very natural; they get on each other's nerves often, but the drama is not manufactured in any way, both of them have their good and bad aspects to them, and them learning to resolve these conflicts takes some time rather than being instantly fixed in a single chapter. The supporting cast is also pretty great, although I feel I'd edge into spoilers if I started talking about whats up with each of them in specific.

Also, its just nice to have a manga that has mostly adult characters in it; while the niece has her own circle of teenage friends, her aunt's friends are also very prominent and all of them are in their 30s.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Whirling posted:

The gist of it is that a writer adopts her teenage niece after her niece's parents die in a car accident, and what follows is them learning to live with each other and how this changes them both. What I really like about it is that it never really becomes mawkish or schmaltzy despite the subject matter tending towards that in other manga in this vein, and that the characters are written with a lot of maturity and realism to them. The aunt doesn't instantly learn to love her niece or vice versa, considering that the aunt absolutely hated her sister and is an extreme introvert (one could honestly argue that she is probably autistic, but its never stated) to the point where she often comes off as really cold when talking with others, interacting with just one person is an ordeal, and having to deal with two in a single night completely wipes her out, while the kid is obviously processing this horrible event that happened to her and is also sort of the opposite of her aunt in that she's pretty extroverted and generally very kind to others. Again, this could be cloying if it were by a less skilled writer, but its all portrayed as very natural; they get on each other's nerves often, but the drama is not manufactured in any way, both of them have their good and bad aspects to them, and them learning to resolve these conflicts takes some time rather than being instantly fixed in a single chapter. The supporting cast is also pretty great, although I feel I'd edge into spoilers if I started talking about whats up with each of them in specific.

Also, its just nice to have a manga that has mostly adult characters in it; while the niece has her own circle of teenage friends, her aunt's friends are also very prominent and all of them are in their 30s.

The aunt is autistic-coded but not depicted as a cartoonish stereotype or an inhuman weirdo, which is neat.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

thanks ill read it

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://x.com/KMANGA_KODANSHA/status/1706685060781412852?s=20

my yearly plead for more ippo anime, the manga just started a digital english release

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Whirling posted:

Ikoku Nikki is one of the best manga I've ever read. Women score yet another W.
one of my favorite bits of writing ever

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Whirling posted:

I'm only 6 chapters in now but it's solid, good recommendation

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Coaaab posted:

ftw

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Ikoku Nikki is incredibly good, one my favorite manga I've read in the past decade.

My go to one to always recommend to other people is Run Away With Me, Girl. I love that manga, it has absolutely beautiful art. It very recently got an English translation released in paperback earlier this year.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Job well done!

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

she's just so cool

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
It's basic af, but if you haven't heard the Hisaishi Ghibli compilation from earlier this year you're missing out

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I was digging Frieren until they met the fighter guy and typical tropey anime poo poo started happening. I hope they cut back on that in the upcoming episodes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is super good.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

starkebn posted:

I was digging Frieren until they met the fighter guy and typical tropey anime poo poo started happening. I hope they cut back on that in the upcoming episodes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is going to be a tournament arc eventually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

okay so whole cake island is basically a direct jab at Disney's representational politics wherein Big Mama collects different races in order to show them off like museum displays and her society is "egalitarian" in that all people regardless of race or gender are equally subservient to her greed and the advancement of her empire

Augus has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Oct 22, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

or Oda was really high

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Whirling posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is going to be a tournament arc eventually

oh, damnit

I hope her fight with the demon diplomats is cool at least, might bounce depending on how that goes

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Coaaab posted:

dang this is real good. I’m gonna have to read it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto is super good.

the only good harem manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

All "reverse-harems" are good

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Under Ninja is so off-beat, which shouldn't be a surprise coming from the I am a hero author

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

turn off the TV posted:

The anime just started.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

All "reverse-harems" are good

as far as i can tell those are mostly josei or shoujo so it's actually impossible for this to be true due to what appears to be a legally mandated male lead creep/sex pest quota

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Frieren is Yokohama shopping list but fantasy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Frieren is Yokohama shopping list but fantasy

yeah it's great

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i hope that the frieren anime manages to accurately capture the upcoming action scene where stark hits a demon once and it dies and the entire depiction of the actual fight is around five panels

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HootTheOwl posted:

Frieren is Yokohama shopping list but fantasy battle manga

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The adventures of Mao squared in The Apothecary Diaries is pretty fun; eunuchs and concubines is refreshing vs the usual generic Western fantasy.

I'm waiting for Maomao to describe germ theory or basic food safety practices or something. Lead makeup powder killing royal heirs in episode 1 is a strong plot beat and I can believe that sort of thing happened in real life but the show doesn't outright name lead as the poison, but then points out rhododendron flowers as toxic. Ancient medical mystery a week is entertaining either way.

Startling lack of eastern mysticism type odd means of attaining immortality so far.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
A big misconception about multiple Chinese emperor's ODing on immortality pills is that they were trying to become immortal ghosts

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

War and Pieces posted:

A big misconception about multiple Chinese emperor's ODing on immortality pills is that they were trying to become immortal ghosts

well they certainly succeeded at becoming ghosts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sure, but not immortal ghosts. those ghosts are long dead.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

shiro sagisu ftw

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

MF Ghost update: They played another new eurobeat song.

I will be driving recklessly to the soundtrack when it comes out.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I want to see more of the driver who's just the unabomber sketch

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Whirling posted:

wow, this poo poo slaps, thank you

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

drat I got like four people in this thread to read that manga, I'm glad

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

What’s a good Halloween season manga to read? I’d be open to anything from a cerebral supernatural thriller to some decent schlocky slasher

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

What’s a good Halloween season manga to read? I’d be open to anything from a cerebral supernatural thriller to some decent schlocky slasher

How up are you on your Junji Ito? Uzumaki is a delightfully horrible ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Darth Walrus posted:

How up are you on your Junji Ito? Uzumaki is a delightfully horrible ride.

I've read just about everything by Junji Ito over the years, lol. Uzumaki is excellent for sure