Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a.lo posted:

I am scared to play Wonder because I might die a lot

You will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i feel like this is most mario games for their first 75% or so. then the later parts of the normal game get decently hard. and then, there are bonus worlds/areas that are outrageously difficult. pretty sure i never made it through the gnarly track or whatever it was called in smw.

do we know if that's the same here?

Early on there's a long path of stages that takes you to special world ala Super Mario World and the one stage I could access there was kind of hard since required some precision.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I'm going to get outrageously high and make the game outrageously easy and I'm going to love every second.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

i feel like this is most mario games for their first 75% or so. then the later parts of the normal game get decently hard. and then, there are bonus worlds/areas that are outrageously difficult. pretty sure i never made it through the gnarly track or whatever it was called in smw.

i don't know

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What I’d like to know is how much of a challenge the game is with the tier of badges that gives you tradeoffs—there’s the one that makes you run fast non stop, and one that makes you invisible to everyone including yourself—I’m sure there are more; those might make for fun challenge replays of the game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This looks of particular interest to Picross lovers

I have picto quest on iPad. Not a fan.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

unattended spaghetti posted:

I'm going to get outrageously high and make the game outrageously easy and I'm going to love every second.

it'll also make the game take three times as long, prolonging the fun! a solid plan.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Baller Ina posted:

*gestures closer* vouchers

WarpDogs posted:

-wait for Costco's "$100 eshop gift cards for $80" sale, which comes up every 3-4 months
-purchase vouchers

now every game you'd want to buy on the Switch is $40 at launch, which is also probably the lowest price it'll be for at least a year or two

you could also roll the dice on physical sales but it's a crapshoot and it's only going to get worse as companies pull out of the physical market (Best Buy and Walmart both next year)

I like my first party nintendo games to be physical, blame the worms if you must.

Speaking of which why isnt world party or armageddon on switch yet??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Australian preorders came with a neat little pin set :allears:. They're fairly thin cheap pins, but still neat for a freebie.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abelwingnut posted:

Even the hardest levels in the game were like, a few deaths tops. There were 1 or 2 levels where my death count might have gotten close to double digits. So no, there is nothing outrageously difficult here. Which is why I was a smidgen disappointed in terms of challenge. If anything, finding some of the hidden stuff might be the most 'difficult' aspect of the game.

I reiterate though, it is pretty fun.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Super Mario Wonder is extremely good and I'm having a blast playing it.

BabyRyoga posted:

Even the hardest levels in the game were like, a few deaths tops. There were 1 or 2 levels where my death count might have gotten close to double digits. So no, there is nothing outrageously difficult here. Which is why I was a smidgen disappointed in terms of challenge. If anything, finding some of the hidden stuff might be the most 'difficult' aspect of the game.

I've had a few where my deaths get close to 20 but yeah the difficult part right now for me is finding the last two secret exits without looking it up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyRyoga posted:

Modern Nintendo design doctrine has been to keep the kid-gloves on for most, if not the whole way through, the "main" story of a game and then hide some truly abusive challenges in the postgame, or unlockable side-challenges in some cases (eg; Yoshi's Wooly World), so I'd wait til people are finishing the game to worry about the difficulty level being relatively low.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

symbolic posted:

all? looking through all the sales rn briefly, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment for $3, Quake for $4, Super Meat Boy Forever for $2, Amnesia Collection for $3, Darkest Dungeon for $10, RE4/5/6 for $10 each, Ghost Trick for $20, DOOM Eternal for $16...you stupid or somethin?

Can't see sale prices for games I already own, looking them up on Nintendo's site or a third party would have helped. Thanks for calling out some great discounts though.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Halloween sale (Screaming Deals) is the “big one” right now

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/

e: Better list sorted by the best deals https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops?sort=hottest

This is useful, thank you. *disappears into Mario Wonder for foreseeable future, be kind to yourselves and explore the levels*

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Good lord, Mario Wonder is just loving excellent

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Halloween sale (Screaming Deals) is the “big one” right now

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/sales-and-deals/

e: Better list sorted by the best deals https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops?sort=hottest

Bunch of awesome Cave games, Radiant Silvergun, and other good shmups on sale right now too https://www.dekudeals.com/lists/h9wbjf?sort=recent_drop&view=grid

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Why does it have to come out on spider-man 2 day???

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Why does it have to come out on spider-man 2 day???

One should be used to Nintendo games killing Sony releases with their timing by now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
More like Spider Mid

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hatty posted:

More like Spider Mid

Bro just play the first 10 minutes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mario Wonder is absolutely delightful, it has the same level of charm and creativity as the 3D Marios

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Modern Nintendo design doctrine has been to keep the kid-gloves on for most, if not the whole way through, the "main" story of a game and then hide some truly abusive challenges in the postgame, or unlockable side-challenges in some cases (eg; Yoshi's Wooly World), so I'd wait til people are finishing the game to worry about the difficulty level being relatively low.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I've played every level in the game. The avg person might find it more challenging, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

that was old Nintendo design doctrine too aside from a few notable exceptions like Mario Sunshine where you could go into the wrong entrance and get stuck in pachinko hell

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find those challenges to be pretty artificial too since they're just endurance tests as opposed to skill challenges. But it's generally their philosophy. Games don't have to be hard to be fun and they tend to make fun games no matter what. I know I'm the outlier who didn't enjoy Captain Toad. In theory cool game but it ended up being so simple that I found it sort of mindless. Same thing happened with Epic Yarn. That said Kirby's generally a great example of easy easy gameplay, that is so well done that it's a delight no matter what.

Augus posted:

Mario Wonder is absolutely delightful, it has the same level of charm and creativity as the 3D Marios

No one's mentioned Bowser's Fury. I know it's not a full game, but that's the way I'd want the next one to go. I didn't love Odyssey. It's enjoyable and New Donk City is spectacular, but I remember prior to that moment the game was fun enough. I think Bowser's Fury is how'd I want a 3D Mario to go. Open-world but with stages littered all about and just a very drat acrobatic experience from the get go.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There hasn’t been a difficult Mario game is thirty somewhat years it’s time to adjust your series expectations

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No one's mentioned Bowser's Fury. I know it's not a full game, but that's the way I'd want the next one to go. I didn't love Odyssey. It's enjoyable and New Donk City is spectacular, but I remember prior to that moment the game was fun enough. I think Bowser's Fury is how'd I want a 3D Mario to go. Open-world but with stages littered all about and just a very drat acrobatic experience from the get go.

I finally played Bowser's Fury in the past week in anticipation of Wonder. I've had it sitting on my Switch for ages now since purchasing Super Mario 3D World remaster, and I kinda brushed it off as some 3D World extra levels pack. I was completely blown away though and I've played it non-stop through the first ending and I'm currently finishing up the remaining areas. I had no idea it was essentially a tech demo for an open world adventure Mario game. I'd love to see the next big Super Mario game based around this template, or at the very least have additional one-off games in this style.

Also: Hey, that Super Mario Bros. Wonder game is pretty good. Pretty pretty pretty good.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I thought the internet play was distracting at first in Wonder but I'm really liking it the more I play. It's fun watching people attempt the same stuff you are and I like that the standees are a way of showing off if you get somewhere cool or difficult. I also like that you get little hearts over your head if you clear the flagpole at the same time as others

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

robot roll call posted:

I thought the internet play was distracting at first in Wonder but I'm really liking it the more I play. It's fun watching people attempt the same stuff you are and I like that the standees are a way of showing off if you get somewhere cool or difficult. I also like that you get little hearts over your head if you clear the flagpole at the same time as others

You really want it on in the Search levels, because it's built around a bunch of players in different characters who can all see character-exclusive blocks helping eachother find the tokens.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
gently caress it i have no big bills due soon, a full fridge and im two beers deep its mario time

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

robot roll call posted:

Can you play it online with friends or is it more just let's "race" each other? I had a friend who wanted to get into Mario with Wonder and wanted us to do online together, but it didn't seem like that sort of co-op experience. I suggested he instead get the Online subscription again and we dive into the SNES games.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You really want it on in the Search levels, because it's built around a bunch of players in different characters who can all see character-exclusive blocks helping eachother find the tokens.

this owns

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm glad Mario Wonder ripped off the singing enemy levels from Rayman Origins / Legends cause those ruled hard!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The singing levels are honestly a big highlight of wonder, its really good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mario Wonder is charming as hell. Game owns.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Bought THPS 1+2 for the second time because for $15, why not?

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Cartoon Man posted:

It is fantastic but the talking flower can do one. So glad they have a menu option to shut him up. Sounds like the guy who narrates the nintendo directs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm early on in Wonder, but the level music has a distinct Katamari Damacy vibe to it, which I love

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

neato burrito posted:

Bought THPS 1+2 for the second time because for $15, why not?

i bought it on pc when it came out and since i got it on switch i havent touched the pc version and the godforsaken epic games store since. i wish there was a version of skate 3 on any console i own though :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s just fantastic. No notes.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i bought it on pc when it came out and since i got it on switch i havent touched the pc version and the godforsaken epic games store since. i wish there was a version of skate 3 on any console i own though :(

It got ported to Steam recently. After years of people holding out for that. Full price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the characters besides Yoshi in Wonder aren’t entirely the same as previously thought (for example, Daisy can get a little extra airtime if you hit her spin jump in midair). The playable Yoshi can also eat enemies in this game which is neat

Also I can’t really tell much of a difference between Martinet’s Mario and Luigi and the new guy’s so far (but then again I haven’t really played as them much so I just have the opening cutscene to go off of)