Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tehinternet posted:

Healthcare is wildly dependent upon the setting and the doctors.

Side note: people who use the term “value based care” are always sociopaths.

You have to maximize patient value (to the shareholders)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Welp my boss doesn't want to set up a gpo to deploy the same program for our remaining machines because it'll take too long

Keep in mind I can make it in approximately 5 minutes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbh using gpo to do deployments isn't the best option anyway

still better then doing it manually though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually, since you are a time traveler from 2010, have you looked at PDQ Deploy?

It works fantastic on traditional on-prem ad managed networks

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

actually, since you are a time traveler from 2010, have you looked at PDQ Deploy?

It works fantastic on traditional on-prem ad managed networks

Looking at PDQ would take too much time!!!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had a boss once that sounds a lot like yours. I just ignored them and did my own thing. They eventually got the message and their boss started bypassing them to go to me. He'd still raise a fuss any time we had to spend money on a project or if things didn't go 100% perfect, but at that point their boss knew I was doing good work and always treated me fairly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
PDQ Deploy & Inventory were two of the best purchases I made at my previous job. We leaned on both heavily for software deployment, automation, patching etc.

I've been following their cloud agent based PDQ development, and it seems to be coming along nicely. My current job uses an RMM called Action1, and it's....less than ideal. They are rapidly improving it (they seem to release major feature and function updates every ~3-4 months) but the reporting in it is still god awful compared to PDQ.

E:

tokin opposition posted:

Welp my boss doesn't want to set up a gpo to deploy the same program for our remaining machines because it'll take too long

Do it anyway. Seriously. If it's something you know has almost no chance of bringing an environment to it's knees via a mistake, I've learned that the "do it and ask for forgiveness later" method when dealing with managers/bosses like this is better.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

I thought you were using intune to deploy apps or are you working with a mixed environment?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Probably servers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Used PDQ for first time today, glad to see its commonly used

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm assuming not all machines are onboarded into Intune.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Dandywalken posted:

Used PDQ for first time today, glad to see its commonly used

Hopefully you have both Deploy & Inventory (if you're using the on-prem products). Just Deploy itself is cool, but the real magic comes out when you combine it with Inventory to run against groups/collections, statuses etc.

Inventory is how I tracked down a misbehaving docking station that was flooding our DHCP server with BAD_ADDRESS bullshit. Wireshark on the server, catch the offending MAC, plugged MAC into Inventory.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cyks posted:

I thought you were using intune to deploy apps or are you working with a mixed environment?

mixed environment. all laptops are on intune, but we still have a few AD-joined desktops people use scattered around the office that we're going to lose access to in the next week when our old tool expires

I'll talk to her about it today, this is the woman that gets mad when I add people to Teams without asking her first so I'm not gonna just do it until/unless I have another job lined up

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone remember that post about one dude doing an interview for a remote IT job, and then some other person doing the actual work and got caught because they weren't very good and wouldn't get on phone or camera?

https://apnews.com/article/north-korea-weapons-program-it-workers-f3df7c120522b0581db5c0b9682ebc9b

Apparently it's a real big thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Man I hate it when people reply to a closed ticket from like 9 months ago because a new issue came up

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shugojin posted:

Man I hate it when people reply to a closed ticket from like 9 months ago because a new issue came up

I just hate it when people respond to tickets, or create new tickets, or want me to do things in general

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Is there anything harder to troubleshoot then when the user has already “figured out the problem” and just asks you questions about how to implement the solution they’ve already decided on without giving you any drat context for what the hell they’re talking about

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

I just hate it when people respond to tickets, or create new tickets, or want me to do things in general

I was going to shorten it to "I just hate people" but it's audit season so I will shorten it to "I just hate."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I was going to shorten it to "I just hate people" but it's audit season so I will shorten it to "I just hate."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJ4h2KuYW8

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Shugojin posted:

You need to have a rule set up that auto notifies them to submit a new ticket and let’s them know that nobody is notified when they respond to a ticket that’s been closed for more than X days.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Same

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I keep finding tickets where something got escalated to us because it wasn't fixed on the first ticket, and then when I go look at the last ticket where it was supposedly "fixed," the close notes are unrelated to the problem description or just say something like "it works now." Kill me.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Thanks for the information on terraform!

Talking internally it sounds like part of the motivation is also to be able to undo mistaken changes to configuration more easily, which also makes some sense. But it also seems like the motivation is "I've never used this before and it this seems like a chance to learn something new" -- without knowing how painful it can be to make all changes through code, versus the UI (which makes maintaining state even harder because then people don't want to do it).

Couple more questions:
1) Are people just manually running apply locally or using CI to do it on checkin/validation?
2) I think I remember someone here talking about the horrors of using modules? Can you elaborate? I tried to pass on this wisdom, but was met with pushback because modules sound great in an OO model of development, but I think in TF they end up being really hard to actually use as building blocks. Was the suggestion to just make your code non-modular?
3) Is there any good way of re-using code for a dev environment and prod environment? Or is it better to just have a separate directory for each and copy and paste from dev .tf to prod .tf

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cheque_some posted:

But it also seems like the motivation is "I've never used this before and it this seems like a chance to learn something new"
number one sign things are going to go off the rails

cheque_some posted:

1) Are people just manually running apply locally or using CI to do it on checkin/validation?
if it's more than a toy you put it in git with ci and state stored in s3 or blob storage
if your org is large enough, use a product like spacelift to manage infra workflows

cheque_some posted:

2) I think I remember someone here talking about the horrors of using modules? Can you elaborate? I tried to pass on this wisdom, but was met with pushback because modules sound great in an OO model of development, but I think in TF they end up being really hard to actually use as building blocks. Was the suggestion to just make your code non-modular?
modules are the way to share reusable configurations, but it is really really easy to mess things up
the absolutely biggest rule is to not let modules call other modules.
here's a link to some solid best practices: https://cloud.google.com/docs/terraform/best-practices-for-terraform

cheque_some posted:

3) Is there any good way of re-using code for a dev environment and prod environment? Or is it better to just have a separate directory for each and copy and paste from dev .tf to prod .tf
this is a problem that plain terraform does not have a good answer for, I like to have tfvars files for each environment and my ci will copy those files appropriately so the respective environments load the appropriate values

The Fool fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 20, 2023

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Siiiiiigh, I'm suddenly having hindsight regrets about taking the lead role, but I gotta tough it out at least.

A large part of taking this job was, even though I'm midshift, I still got to see my friends / occasionally participate in stuff, but as of yesterday now apparently nVidia's PM is demanding we migrate mid-shift to 2nd shift which means we're going to be working from 3:30 until midnight. He *claims* this is to avoid tester congestion so we can "Meet SLA requirements" but in reality the problems we've been experiencing lately rarely have anything to do with tester availability.

To start with, since taking the lead role I've been responsible for some "Investigations" which basically just means compiling a lot of not-readily available data across our repair cases so we can get a bigger picture on some things. One of these was making sure we had a full list of all SxMs being sent out for Failure Analysis because neither nVidia's side of things nor ours seem to have a way to directly document that data.
So kind of naturally I'm getting a hang of navigating our service structure to pull important data and put that to use.

Which I guess brings me to the last 10 days, we got an order in from one of the big 5 data giants that has a 10 day turnaround for 21 units. That's actually not that difficult, that's roughly 1.75 units per technician so not every tech needs to pick up a second unit. Should be easy peasy. Then our contacts at nVidia go dark for like, 4 days, most of our cases are handled by one guy but frequently there's like 3-4 other engineers who pitch in from time to time, we have no idea what's going on and I'm basically writing e-mails daily that are tonally like "Heyyy I know you guys probably have a big workload but we're trying to do our turnaround on these cases that might penalize us, can you please give this your attention?" meanwhile it's impossible to get these fuckers to click on an image link to save us 30 extra minutes of dismantling for one photograph and I'm getting ghosted when the reply all isn't just looping other people so they can look at my e-mails and laugh presumably.

I feel like the answer is probably yes, but Is e-mailing always this passive aggressive to people under managers when they come with a sense of urgency?

Anyway, so we have now like 4 business days to complete these systems which would take probably the remainder of the time to get them tested, complete packing, shipping, etc. Except we got a batch of baseboards in that seems to have an alarmingly high failure rate. And I came in to do some OT on Saturday with a few of the day shift people, and upon talking for a little bit they both seem to think that we have a higher than normal DOA rate. So I spend a little time going through tickets and stuff on monday, and find out that yeah, the DOA rate is like 75%. Granted that is a small sample size but it means out of 32 boards only 8 are usable, which is considerably less than we need to ship. The kicker is that these parts aren't ours, but are consigned to us by nVidia for repairs.

Maybe they can start by sending us working parts before they can start playing with our lives.

Susat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 20, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like I say this often, but I'll say it again just so I'm not talking out of my rear end - I don't know the details of your situation, but from my understanding of what you've described, my suggestion would be to remember that we exist in a system whose goal it is is to suck every last drop of productivity from you. If they can guilt you into going above and beyond and literally set yourself aflame for two extra pennies, they will.

So look at it less like an engineering problem, where you need to juggle your inputs and your outputs to get to the correct solution, and more like there are people outside of your control who will game your inputs and your outputs to their own advantage.

I'm not saying be completely jaded. Live your professional life in a way that you find interesting. But don't for a second think that this is a neutral equation that needs solving and instead consider limiting the damage that solving the equation does to you and your peeps under you.

Sorry for preaching, hopefully I did not misread your post or situation. It obviously struck a nerve for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is there anything harder to troubleshoot then when the user has already “figured out the problem” and just asks you questions about how to implement the solution they’ve already decided on without giving you any drat context for what the hell they’re talking about

That's an XY Problem. The user is asking for your help with their proposed solution, when they should be engaging the experts about the actual problem. Being able to work back to the actual problem/pain point/desired outcome is an important skill for an IT professional. It requires both the confidence to push back, and the experience to know that someone asking for an 8-port unmanaged switch and six 50' lengths of garden hose needs help reassessing the actual issue.

https://xyproblem.info/ for more info.

I had a fun ticket come in this week. One of our favorite lab managers (we are blessed with a significant number of favorite lab managers) put in a ticket; a Python script a departed employee had written has stopped working. This is so far out of our scope, the JWST can barely resolve it; we do 2nd and 3rd level support, plus some projects for lab systems. But if we punt this over to Research's DevOps group and it turns out Python just broke, then we look like assholes and there are people on my team with career options that include that group. So for the good of the team, I take the ticket. Twice I ask the lab manager about what errors he's getting, how he runs the script, etc. First, he sends me the .py in question. Then he says he'll make time to show me the problem. This person has a good rep, so I calendar him in and go down to look at it today.

He was right, I did have to see it.

That lab has 8 cell sorters. What those do is detect cellular properties and sort based on that. If it was a fruit sorter, you'd tell it you wanted any banana, oranges over 2.5" diameter, and any Granny Smith but no other apples. You'd get exactly that, and in proportions you can specify. Very high purity when you're using it on molecules. Each cell sorter is run by a PC that displays a bunch of details about what it's doing, and in particular the flow rate, which tells you if there's a problem.

The script in question is the second of a pair of scripts that creates a monitoring dashboard. The first one opens a VNC connection to each of 8 cell sorters, resizes and arranges each VNC window so over the top 3/4 of a 34" display you have the detailed status of each sorter, you can just walk up and see what each one is doing in real time.

The second script is a brilliant hack. It screencaps the flow rate display from the VNC windows, saves that as a .png, uses pytesseract.image2text to OCR the flow rate, and displays it in huge text you can read from across the room under each status display. As I said, brilliant. As I also said, I ain't supporting that. What I will do is help him fix it, he does tkinter stuff on his own, just not multithreaded, which is ahead of me. We went through it enough that we determined that the screencaps happen, so the breakdown is happening at or after the OCR step.

So tomorrow I get to pass on the wisdom gained in a Fortran class from 35 years ago about how to debug with breadcrumbs. Goddamn but I love my job.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

chin up everything sucks posted:

Anyone remember that post about one dude doing an interview for a remote IT job, and then some other person doing the actual work and got caught because they weren't very good and wouldn't get on phone or camera?

https://apnews.com/article/north-korea-weapons-program-it-workers-f3df7c120522b0581db5c0b9682ebc9b

This is all fake news to bring us back to fulltime office work.

I’m currently trying to get my userbase to clean up some of their 50PB of data of which 97% percent has not been accessed in the past 30 days and 95% hasn’t been accessed so far this year.

All users are claiming this is impossible to archive and we need this as hot data. Roughly half of all data sets have the words “test” or “feature” in their title.

After a dozen mails and notifications to management I’m going to let it run out of space over the next week. There’s about 1TB left so it should keep running throughout the weekend.

Finance will be thrilled to learn that their end of month batches will be delayed because their own devs are too lazy to clean up their stale data and ignoring the calls to action for weeks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

[ticket comes in from customer]
"What the gently caress? Of course it crashed. Who would try to send that monstrosity of a request to a web server? Whoever wrote the code that sent that shouldn't be allowed near a computer."

[narrator voice]
"Engineering wrote the code. The request came from a first-party app."

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m currently trying to get my userbase to clean up some of their 50PB of data of which 97% percent has not been accessed in the past 30 days and 95% hasn’t been accessed so far this year.

All users are claiming this is impossible to archive and we need this as hot data. Roughly half of all data sets have the words “test” or “feature” in their title.

After a dozen mails and notifications to management I’m going to let it run out of space over the next week. There’s about 1TB left so it should keep running throughout the weekend.

Finance will be thrilled to learn that their end of month batches will be delayed because their own devs are too lazy to clean up their stale data and ignoring the calls to action for weeks.

God I would love to play a game with this and delete poo poo at random and see if anyone notices

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry for preaching, hopefully I did not misread your post or situation. It obviously struck a nerve for me.

No, you're right and totally fine. If I'm being honest this stuff is burning me out already. Which sucks for my first job.

It's clear that at some point there's going to be a squeeze for as much work as possible but some issues are so complicated they can take days to diagnose.

I'm just hoping to take my experience and future schooling with me, tough this out for a while, and land something a bit better in the future.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If that's your first job, it sounds like you're doing great and it'll be good experience. And congrats on your team lead promotion!

I wish I was more aware of the whole capitalism thing when I started my career. It would have saved me a lot of grief. Sounds like you are well ahead of the game.

And ugh, sorry for my rambling. I was definitely drunk+high posting.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Susat, it depends on your personal financial situation and other factors you're going to need to determine, but.

You seem to be in a position and gravitate towards the supervisor thing, it might be a good time with your first one to learn how to push back in a professional way. It can save you future headaches, and anyone working under any supervisor will always be better off if that supe pushes back on BS on their behalf.

Along with not micromanaging, pushing back is like.. 75% of the 'great supervisor' stories you'll hear. It will be a pain and probably not make you feel super great at first, but forcing those grooves into your brain this early in your career will take you a long way. Being able to intelligently and professionally push back on nonsense while keeping your cool is a pretty rare trait, just in working environments broadly.

In general from what you've said your place doesn't have a good culture when it comes to the managers there. Which means if you do go this way it will be kinda lovely until they realize the stuff they can't get away with anymore.

But, someone needs to do the job you're doing. They wanted you to do it. They are unlikely to just fire you because you didn't roll over for every thing - and people love testing other people, seeing where the boundaries lie, how far they can push.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Such a great feeling when the user who keeps poo poo talking every troubleshooting step you’ve taken and asked for this case that doesn’t qualify for escalation to be escalated because ~~they’re special~~ has to sit issue get solved by the very steps they sighed and groaned when you asked them to do

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Such a great feeling when the user who keeps poo poo talking every troubleshooting step you’ve taken and asked for this case that doesn’t qualify for escalation to be escalated because ~~they’re special~~ has to sit issue get solved by the very steps they sighed and groaned when you asked them to do

These people are as frustrating as someone who calls us up and says "No, i won't read your guides, or watch your videos, TRAIN ME LIVE".

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

mllaneza posted:

That's an XY Problem. The user is asking for your help with their proposed solution, when they should be engaging the experts about the actual problem. Being able to work back to the actual problem/pain point/desired outcome is an important skill for an IT professional. It requires both the confidence to push back, and the experience to know that someone asking for an 8-port unmanaged switch and six 50' lengths of garden hose needs help reassessing the actual issue.

https://xyproblem.info/ for more info.

100% agree, I've been trying to get this through to my team for years. Yes, listen to what the customer is asking you for help with, but also understand that YOU know how to use the product, and you need to understand what they're trying to do before suggesting a solution.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

The fact that the DPRK can get people with enough skills to pass interviews despite being embargoed to hell gives me hope that I have a future in this career until I'm 55 or 62

Meanwhile, I'm doing this even though I'll probably regret it

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Going to my boss rn to tell them that my coworker who never seems to do anything is probably a north Korean plant

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1715759094001209567?s=20

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Got suddenly fired from my job back in August, for reasons they wouldn't explain to my contracting company. Since I was just a contractor (W2), I'm assuming that's entirely legal and there's nothing I can do about it.

The job search has been terrible, and I'm running out of emergency savings. Between when I lost my job in August and now, I believe I've clocked in at just under 200 applications, and haven't gotten a single interview. Recruiters on linkedin hit me up on the regular, but they all completely ghost me the moment I reply to the first thing they send me or they ghost me after I let them know I'm interested and would like to apply for the job.

At first I was avoiding applying for stuff that required working day shifts due to my medical condition, but after next month my emergency savings will be completely empty, so unless I get lucky, I'm likely going to have to take a job my body can't handle.

My plan, assuming I manage to get a job before I lose my house, is to get a dayshift job, immediately enroll in a life insurance plan, and pray my body somehow gets cured of my sleep disorders if I manage to push myself though enough dayshifts and somehow adjust itself to the schedule(one of my disorders prevents me from sleeping at night, I have to sleep during the day or I'll constantly wake up every 45 minutes or so). I haven't been able to do that for any of my jobs in the last 10 years and have always worked night shift, but at this point I don't really have a choice. If it doesn't work and my sleep disorders cause me to fall asleep while driving again for the last time, I'm hoping the life insurance will kick in and take care of my family.

Biggest worry is that I may not be enrolled long enough for the life insurance to actually take effect before my sleep disorders get me killed. I can last about a month on day shifts before I become so exhausted from sleep deprivation that I start falling asleep while driving(Yes I've been applying to remote jobs, but they usually have like 300 applications within a couple of days of being open so unsurprisingly I haven't heard back from any of them).

[mod edit: removed some personal information]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Your post is really concerning to me. I don’t think anyone can or should answer that for you.