Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
World of Horror’s launch trailer is so loving good.
https://x.com/panstasz/status/1715056015081607445?s=61&t=H_3r_s27E92NklbqYnIvSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so is it like an adventure game or what?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

so is it like an adventure game or what?

It's arkham horror (the board game) but digital, basically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looks like it's getting torn apart in steam reviews?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Looks like it's getting torn apart in steam reviews?

Really? Did they break a ton of stuff. I can't imagine why. I can't look atm.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
There's a ton of negative reviews exclusively in Chinese, was there some political drama I'm not aware of?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

szary posted:

There's a ton of negative reviews exclusively in Chinese, was there some political drama I'm not aware of?

Oh could be a situation where the TL is poo poo then.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
From what I can gather the Chinese release got pushed back a week and Gamers are as Gamers will.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Translating some of the reviews, seems like there was supposed to be a chinese translation on launch but it got delayed/canceled.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
From the early access my main beef was it really feels like just a bunch of random encounters. You'll get a clue which points to the next place to visit, so you either go to that or to a special location like the school (to recruit party members) or shop, get some semi-random encounters along the way which you either have the stats to solve or not, then get an event at the right location that gives you the clue to the next one, rinse and repeat. The main loop feels very generic, with little room for agency unless you already know what's coming, and I have no trouble believing it was designed as a card game. The richness comes from all the weird events, accessories and buffs/debuffs you get along the way, but to really explore it it really feels like a wiki game, to play really well you need to keep track of which events can pop up in each scenario, what stats they require, etc and basically cross-reference it when playing, or just have a wiki open on the next screen, which will inevitably spoil you on the cool weirdly hidden stuff even though you really had no chance of finding it normally anyway.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Yeah but if you alt tab you get jump scared so you better not!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's evil within, too...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

World of horror got delayed for a week on consoles too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Since it was mentioned recently, the F.E.A.R. games just went on sale on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/21090/FEAR/

All the games and DLC for a little over $8 USD

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Elephant Ambush posted:

I was totally gonna buy this, but apparently I already own almost everything so I guess it's time to replay the whole series.

anyone else running into this or know what's up? I can't buy or claim the reborn DLC.

but I own F.E.A.R. 2

I haven't played these since launch so I don't remember if I ever played this DLC or if it's even worth it anyway.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Played through a full run of World of Horror, it's definitely just Arkham Horror but a video game, which isn't a bad thing for me. Really love the art and while the gameplay isn't incredible I think the art and events is worth 15 bux to me.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Purchased! Will definitely play these hahahahaha :(

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There's a tiny FEAR perseus mandate reference in RE7 of all things. Just the line "I don't want a repeat of Amarillo", but still. As the rare perseus mandate enjoyer I appreciate it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

World of Horror is really good

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Montague Tigg posted:

I was totally gonna buy this, but apparently I already own almost everything so I guess it's time to replay the whole series.

anyone else running into this or know what's up? I can't buy or claim the reborn DLC.

but I own F.E.A.R. 2

I haven't played these since launch so I don't remember if I ever played this DLC or if it's even worth it anyway.

The FEAR 2 DLC has been somewhat wonky on steam for years, it at least used to be you could only buy it as complete pack with FEAR2, so even if you only wanted the DLC you had to buy the full package for ~50€ or wait for it to go on sale. But yeah buying the bundle should get you the FEAR2 dlc, since it's the only thing that includes it, and looking at my purchase history the Complete pack is what I bought last year to get it, despite having everything else in the series.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
There's some weird poo poo going around with the FEAR DLC. I kind of think they're trying to squeeze some extra cash out of it.

Night10194 posted:

Re-finished Gorky 17. The last area is kind of a bastard of weird exposition and mandatory betrayal, all your stun equipment stops working, and the actual ending is kind of nonsense to set up a sequel that never happened.

But still, the game itself is really fun. Fighting weird cyber-horrors in turn based resource conservation combat is an approach you just don't see often in survival horror, and I like all the battles being scripted. You have X problems, you need to solve them using Y resources is a good formula for survival horror.

Apparently there was a sequel called Gorky Zero 2: Aurora Watching but the English translation removed all connective tissue to previous games?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Fair warning, at least the first game is pretty janky on modern systems. You can get it to work but it really grinds its gears to do it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It would still be nonsense no matter what. Like, the sequel hook is 'by the way, none of what happened here mattered and my final speech is about something completely nonsense that had nothing to do with the plot we've built up'. It's real terrible.

Which is a shame because the atmosphere is pretty good and watching the polish guy try to psyche himself up as doomslayer, the canadian try to stay professional, and the french military scientist start to lose it completely was fun.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Chev posted:

From the early access my main beef was it really feels like just a bunch of random encounters. You'll get a clue which points to the next place to visit, so you either go to that or to a special location like the school (to recruit party members) or shop, get some semi-random encounters along the way which you either have the stats to solve or not, then get an event at the right location that gives you the clue to the next one, rinse and repeat. The main loop feels very generic, with little room for agency unless you already know what's coming, and I have no trouble believing it was designed as a card game.

I absolutely love World of Horror, but this is probably my biggest criticism of it. I don't know if the game could work as a roguelite without these problems. Maybe if there were just a handful of random events specific to some mysteries would alleviate it a bit.

I hope some psycho billionaire falls in love with the game, creates a clone army of Panstaszs, and makes a sequel that looks like that trailer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chev posted:

From the early access my main beef was it really feels like just a bunch of random encounters. You'll get a clue which points to the next place to visit, so you either go to that or to a special location like the school (to recruit party members) or shop, get some semi-random encounters along the way which you either have the stats to solve or not, then get an event at the right location that gives you the clue to the next one, rinse and repeat. The main loop feels very generic, with little room for agency unless you already know what's coming, and I have no trouble believing it was designed as a card game. The richness comes from all the weird events, accessories and buffs/debuffs you get along the way, but to really explore it it really feels like a wiki game, to play really well you need to keep track of which events can pop up in each scenario, what stats they require, etc and basically cross-reference it when playing, or just have a wiki open on the next screen, which will inevitably spoil you on the cool weirdly hidden stuff even though you really had no chance of finding it normally anyway.

It's tricky too because it feels like a wiki game but also it's a total crapshoot if events will give you a positive or negative effect, even if you know what they are. I generally play on the easiest or second easiest difficulty just because it sucks to get slowly picked at by bad luck in random encounters. And don't even get me started on the praying system.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Evil Within 2 is a ton of fun but i never played the first one
I would describe it as re4 but with much more focus on miniboss setpiece encounters like the garradors, U2/Verdugo, dr salvador etc., it's not a perfect game but it absolutely delivers on that aspect. I mean really in the context of the horror genre it plays FINE.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 20, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been working through my steam backlog lately and just got through Alien Isolation and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I think I liked it? Ironically my biggest issue with it was the alien - I feel like half the time it was really well used and the other half of the time it was just annoying and frustrating. Especially towards the end there were a lot of areas where there's just one room you need to go in and the alien is in the room and won't loving leave so you end up just chucking molotovs/pipe bombs/flamethrower bursts at it to make it go away for like 5 seconds only to have it drop right back in again. The best bits were when you had a decent sized area with a lot of side rooms and alternate routes to get around, so it really did feel like a good game of cat and mouse where it was appropriately tense rather than just dying over and over again (I've always felt like constantly dying really deflates the horror of a horror game, the best ones to me are the ones where dying is uncommon but every hit consumes precious resources).

I know people are kind of mixed on the working joes but I actually like them - the way they just slowly walk towards you and are very hard to put down gave them real terminator vibes and it was an interesting contrast to the alien since you could outrun them pretty easily but they were often placed in areas where you couldn't just kite them around. It was often about being at the end of a long dead end hallway with one closing in on you and hoping you could pump enough ammo into it for it to fall down before it reached you. Plus the fact that they weren't universally hostile made for an interesting guessing game where you could try to take the initiative and start shooting while they're still far away, but you might just end up wasting ammo because that one was never going to attack you in the first place. I think the game is far too long for it to have been just the alien the whole time so having something to mix things up was very needed.

One thing I did find is that I was often using items just to make room in my inventory. You find so many crafting materials and have such limited space for them. I did figure out that you can commit items to crafting without actually making the item, which will free up the space in your inventory, but even doing that I was still constantly full up on sensors. I suppose that's one way to encourage people to actually use the items rather than hoarding them but it did mean that often finding side rooms wasn't very rewarding because it was just more scrap I couldn't pick up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's tricky too because it feels like a wiki game but also it's a total crapshoot if events will give you a positive or negative effect, even if you know what they are. I generally play on the easiest or second easiest difficulty just because it sucks to get slowly picked at by bad luck in random encounters. And don't even get me started on the praying system.
Sounds like a skill issue.

If you're using the wiki for every event (or have memorized them all), then you should be evaluating choices based on your chances of success and which failure option is the least bad for you in your current situation. If you've got an event with two choices, one is -Reason and the other is +Doom, and you know which is which, that's not random chance, that's resource management.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The RNG in encounters is seriously ridiculous, even if you have like 10+ in a stat you are going to fail all the time. And there's too many events that punish you for succeeding that it just never feels good, but not in an interesting way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Sounds like a skill issue.

If you're using the wiki for every event (or have memorized them all), then you should be evaluating choices based on your chances of success and which failure option is the least bad for you in your current situation. If you've got an event with two choices, one is -Reason and the other is +Doom, and you know which is which, that's not random chance, that's resource management.

Yes, of course encyclopedic knowledge of the game and balancing percentages is the best way to *beat* the game, but I generally play the game to sus out the mysteries and see the monsters and scenes. If I wanted to play Darkest Dungeon I would just do that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think 'skill issue' should ever be followed up with 'if you're using the wiki' when talking about a single player game lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i just picked up World of Horror and i already love it just for the aesthetics alone, but i can see how these criticisms are pretty valid

one thing that got me mad was that i was doing the first baby quest with the scissor lady and the combat tutorial killed me cause it forced me to do a bunch of suboptimal stuff like punching and scavenging for an improvised weapon even tho i had the straight razor equipped. I got super unlucky on my attack rolls once the tutorial was over that i lost even though i did the prepare attack moves

gave a pretty sour first taste, but i restarted a new run and wiped the floor with her on my next go-around. Even won the next scenario where i needed to solve 5 mysteries. Now i can play the game proper with fully randomized scenarios

any general tips for a new player? seems like theres a bunch of trap options that will end a run if im not being careful. Also, how does doom work? Does it increase the difficulty as it gets higher or is it a binary fail state that ends the game once it reaches 100, but otherwise doesnt do anything else?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
That World of Horror trailer is so good, I wish it was more of a straightforward point-and-click game.
I've tried out early access multiple times, but nothing about it clicked with me.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i just picked up World of Horror and i already love it just for the aesthetics alone, but i can see how these criticisms are pretty valid

one thing that got me mad was that i was doing the first baby quest with the scissor lady and the combat tutorial killed me cause it forced me to do a bunch of suboptimal stuff like punching and scavenging for an improvised weapon even tho i had the straight razor equipped. I got super unlucky on my attack rolls once the tutorial was over that i lost even though i did the prepare attack moves

gave a pretty sour first taste, but i restarted a new run and wiped the floor with her on my next go-around. Even won the next scenario where i needed to solve 5 mysteries. Now i can play the game proper with fully randomized scenarios

any general tips for a new player? seems like theres a bunch of trap options that will end a run if im not being careful. Also, how does doom work? Does it increase the difficulty as it gets higher or is it a binary fail state that ends the game once it reaches 100, but otherwise doesnt do anything else?

Doom is just a "game over" counter, but there's a character who you can unlock later who has a special mechanic relating to the Doom percentage.

Also yeah, game good, flubbing stuff and dying horribly is like, half the fun. Horror stories usually end up with the protagonist horribly hosed up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah the first mission is a bitch like that, they give you a decent weapon in the form of the razor and then make you throw it away. The first time I did it with the combat tutorial on I also drew the rune wrong so I was screwed.

Doom is basically a timer, once it hits 100% you lose, but up until that point you are safe. That means that doing things like shopping and resting cost time. On one hand you don't want to just throw time away needlessly, but on the other if you are short on stamina and reason then popping home to rest can be a good way to help, since it's a fairly cheap way to heal.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

cool, good to know i can play around a bit with doom. I had like 35% doom when i finished the first mystery and I was worried so i rushed the rest and ended up at like 45% when i got to the lighthouse

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vookatos posted:

That World of Horror trailer is so good, I wish it was more of a straightforward point-and-click game.
I've tried out early access multiple times, but nothing about it clicked with me.

I think the thing really dragging it down is the randomized content, especially since its a mystery game. Its just a bunch of random horror scenes shoved together.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think the thing really dragging it down is the randomized content, especially since its a mystery game. Its just a bunch of random horror scenes shoved together.

Imo this is where some of the disconnect comes from, because it isn't a mystery game, it's a dungeon crawler. The framing is solving a mystery, sure, but you don't do any actual invesgating personally. You just go to the spot it says to go to and press investigate, at which point the text updates with what you found. There are some parts that are a bit more puzzle like, especially with getting alternate endings, but there isn't an actual mystery for the *player* to be solving.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

No Dignity posted:

I don't think 'skill issue' should ever be followed up with 'if you're using the wiki' when talking about a single player game lol
I was specifically arguing against being made about it being a wiki game where luck is a massive factor. One of those can be true, but not both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i just picked up World of Horror [...] any general tips for a new player?

When you look at a weapon, you generally want one that matches up with your best stat out of STR/DEX/PER/KNW and has a low "speed" rating, which is actually how long it takes to swing the weapon in combat. The higher the associated stat (hammer is STR, steak knife is DEX, scalpel is KNW, etc.), the faster you attack as well.

For example, you'll probably unlock Mimi soon. She starts with high KNW and the scalpel; if you put points into KNW, the scalpel should be good enough for a whole run on the easier difficulties.

I'm not too sure what easily-acquired weapons scale with PER.

Out of defensive options, "brace" is governed by STR and "dodge" is DEX. Some attacks can't be mitigated (anything that does sanity damage, I think?) and sometimes it's better to just focus on damage output or just taking the doom penalty and running right away. The ally you get from the Eels mystery also mitigates damage if you pick the correct ending.

I could be wrong about some of this combat stuff. I was never that confident in my understanding of it and, of course, the game just got a major update.

Random stuff:

• some allies give penalties to stats. From their stat card, you can fire them or throw them at combat encounters to get rid of them.
• if you already have a weapon and have money and doom to spare, consider the compass (slot C, extra 2 xp per location investigated) and flashlight (slot B, +1 perception, counts as a source of light for a lot of events even if it's just in your inventory) that you can buy from the dog shop.
• some of the unlockable stuff behind achievements can really help a run, so even if you think you're going to fail a run, try knocking out some achievements.
• hitting Z on the keyboard highlights everything you can click on, such as the little robot toy in your dressing room.
• some boss encounters have special actions. Check all four of your menus when you fight bosses for stuff like "light everything on fire and run away." I think they're usually listed in the attack and support options.