Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's so many options, and 90% are wrong depending on the kid. How about putting the diaper on when she needs to pee and then sitting on the potty with the diaper on?

I dunno, my oldest did not give a single gently caress, he just pissed himself and didn't care until someone noticed the puddle. And even then he only cared about the interruption. But he's the type to theoretically master a task before attempting it, so when he was actually ready, he had very few accidents and just did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah she was like that about walking, she was like that about feeding herself, and really she was like that about being born (went past her due date, then mom's water broke and 3 hours later we had a kid) so we should probably just accept that potty-training will be the same way. Just wish she'd get around to it already

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Oh definitely. We waited ages for him to be ready to drop the diaper, but then he did it full on.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

loquacius posted:

The "3-day method", where your kid just goes bottomless for a weekend and there's (hopefully metaphorical) blood or glory, is the currently favored method for if being casual about it just kinda doesn't work. This one's gonna take a few false starts though

We found that this worked with getting big kid underwear, bc they didn't want to get that dirty. Also "poop treats" (peanut butter cups) in a visible jar in the bathroom just out of reach was a big winner.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
it's funny how clear a sign that a kids educational game will be garbage based on whether or not you can use WASD to move or just arrow keys

gamers rise up

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

we did the naked weekend for the oldest demon, our biggest help was probably the toddler imitation drive. He was determined to potty like mommy and daddy since we weren't really shy about letting him into the bathroom with us.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

it's funny how clear a sign that a kids educational game will be garbage based on whether or not you can use WASD to move or just arrow keys

gamers rise up

That goes for a lot of stuff for kids. It's the difference between "I like X and I like kids, maybe I can make X for kids" and "X is popular, I bet I can make X for kids".

I have kinda the opposite, the oldest's favourite book is "the 100 grossest animals", which is written by a guy who understands and loves both kids, animals and fact books. The trouble is that it's super gross parasites and literal shitbirds that I don't want to read about.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

Trying to potty-train the 3-year-old this weekend is going about as badly as it possibly could. She knows when she has to pee, is capable of holding it in, but is simply refusing to sit on the potty and is instead opting to pee on the floor no matter what we promise her.

Like, I know you're supposed to stay positive, but none of the articles etc are written with a kid in mind who announces to you "I'm going to pee on the floor" and then does so, and who throws screaming tantrums if you try to guide her toward the potty instead. We're restricting her to her playroom (playmat is easy to clean), refusing to give her screen-time or story-time or any of the most fun toys until she sits on the potty, at which point she can eat M&Ms and do all her favorite stuff all the time, and she has chosen instead to pee on the floor, repeatedly.

I'm pretty sure we're doing this wrong but I don't know what the right way is at this point.

I feel this so hard. My 4yo knows what the toilet is, she knows how to sit, she's even peed and pooped successfully in the toilet before (I'm pretty sure now it was just to prove to herself that she could, then she lost interest), but she just refuses to actually switch over. Combined with her inexplicable over-shyness with asking for anything, it means she'll poop herself at night and never tell us (we always have to keep checking & asking her) and get a rash, and then she's crying because she's sore, and I tell her every time that it's because of the diapers and it'll stop happening if she uses the toilet, but I have no idea how much of that is getting through, if any. I'm pretty sure it's all getting through because she's crazy smart and has proven she can understand at least simple sentences and clauses (X happens because of Y), but it's more fun for her to defy us and do things on her own.

Her OT says we should try to find a way to make it seem like her idea to use the toilet but I'm at a total loss. It's unfortunate too because she loves the pool and I can't really take her to any public pools until I'm reasonably certain she won't poo poo in it.

She's getting more verbal every week though, which has been a big relief, because I dunno if I can even describe what it's like trying to communicate and maintain awareness of a toddler's needs when they're still not telling you anything, even when you ask them, you're still having to run the baby status checklists of "okay you're upset, well it doesn't sound like you're hurt, you've eaten X in the past Y time, is it your diaper, no that's fine, etc etc etc etc"

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

gamers rise up
Mine's not to wasd yet, but she loves running around Possum Springs when I let her play NITW (which she called Cat Run Game for a while)

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Post your kid playlist:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone loves she wolf

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

BONGHITZ posted:

everyone loves she wolf

It's the cornyest song but we gottem with the awoo sing-along

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
In my experience the challenge isn't training them how to use the potty, it's getting them to keep using it after the thrill wears off.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter's favorite song is The Erie Canal. People think that's hilarious when they hear it but it's mostly because Laurie Berkner did a version of it, our 3-year-old isn't really into 120-year-old work songs or Pete Seeger or anything cool like that

Man that sounds rough. Glad your kid is at least getting more verbal, you can really solve a lot of problems that way. My kid's a little chatterbox but sometimes she still gets in a mood where she'd rather keep screaming than tell you what's wrong or why she doesn't want to do something and it's really frustrating

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby pissed while changing two changes in a row so I unilaterally decided to take her hamper to the washing machine. Since this means we have no clean changing pad covers.
My wife is incredibly upset that I didn't just let her do it in the morning.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Baby pissed while changing two changes in a row so I unilaterally decided to take her hamper to the washing machine. Since this means we have no clean changing pad covers.
My wife is incredibly upset that I didn't just let her do it in the morning.

Anything related to baby changing needs plentiful redundancy. I don't know what fancy cover you have, but we use the regular cloth thingies you carry on your shoulder everywhere with babies, and we have a drawer of basically just those because we could go through a lot in a day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We have about five, enough to last twoish days. Fell a day behind in the laundry and we ran out and just put a towel on the changing pad.

The pad it itself is this long hotdogbun/u shaped pillow and the pads keep urine and poo poo from soaking it, it's got a pair of straps so you can keep baby in place without worrying about immediate fall risk and the pads have little holes in them so you can feed the straps through while they cover the pad

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
When our 18 month old wants food that you're not giving her, she goes to grab a spatula from the drawer and starts hitting you.

Also she has opinions about fashion now, with a clear preference for certain clothes. She digs through the laundry bag for stuff she likes and wants to wear dirty clothes.

It's shocking how quickly her mind develops.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Found out the hard way that the local amusement park, which offered "free season pass for kids 5 and under with purchase of Gold pass" expired on labor day even though the gold passes are good for the end of the year. So when we try to do their Halloween promotional event they won't let the kid in, because her pass is expired.

Can they just renew it since our gold passes are still valid? No, you have to do it online after renewing the gold passes first :psyduck:. Crying kids and being out 200 bucks just so the youngest can get in' for free' was not a great way to start the day.

What a racket. We've done this multiple years, never had a problem. :capitalism: I guess.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
you actually renewed the passes rather than just pay the single entry fee for the child?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

please stop putting dirty tissues in your hampers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
Getting the full Disney experience by staying in the hotel room with a 7 year old puking up the red cupcake from last night. :barf: (but blood red)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

brugroffil posted:

please stop putting dirty tissues in your hampers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Love to open up the washing machine after running a load to discover one of the kids put their diaper in the hamper and it exploded in the washer. I don't know what modern disposable diapers are made out of precisely but it involves some kind of fine, bead-like plastic material that's a total pain the rear end to clean out of the washer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
It would be cool to wake up at a later time than 5 in the morning. Thanks in advance, child.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Do you have black out curtains?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you actually renewed the passes rather than just pay the single entry fee for the child?

We were already planning on renewing them anyway, we just assumed they were all good until the end of the year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Judgy Fucker posted:

Love to open up the washing machine after running a load to discover one of the kids put their diaper in the hamper and it exploded in the washer. I don't know what modern disposable diapers are made out of precisely but it involves some kind of fine, bead-like plastic material that's a total pain the rear end to clean out of the washer.

This happened to us exactly once. What an absolute disaster.

Elissimpark posted:

Do you have black out curtains?

We have these, and they help. We also got both of our kids clocks that turn green when it's "wake up time" so they know when it's ok to come out of their room. Took a while for my younger to take it to, but now they both at least wait until 7 on weekends.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when the kids clothes got big enough to have pockets, but they didn't know to empty pockets their pockets yet.......

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

It would be cool to wake up at a later time than 5 in the morning. Thanks in advance, child.

Years in advance. Good luck and also I recommend a bread baking habit while you're up anyway.

Diaper engineering is amazing, I recommend taking a measuring cup and doing a stress test. I don't remember the specifics, but it's more than enough

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Are gifted and talented programs still self-sucking garbage? Kindergarten teacher wants to put the kid in but the only enduring lesson I recall from it was "you don't need to try because you can always half-rear end" that served me poorly for years.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Are gifted and talented programs still self-sucking garbage? Kindergarten teacher wants to put the kid in but the only enduring lesson I recall from it was "you don't need to try because you can always half-rear end" that served me poorly for years.

My kid goes to a public gifted and talented school and it seems like a good thing. They're more project-focused and there's less homework. They also teach a lot of critical thinking skills because the whole idea is to contextualize things that they learn in several ways.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Sodium polyacrylate

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
We do have blackout curtains. We have tried shifting bedtime back, but she pretty reliably wakes up at the same time anyway. This is a one-year-old too so we're not talking about a creature to be reasoned with. She also usually wakes up crying some time between 3 and 4 and can be soothed with a bottle which I don't think we're supposed to do anymore, but usually we just do what it takes to get those last couple hours sleep.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That was my experience as a child. I assume it has benefit for the teachers since it gets the smartasses who finish their work early and disrupt others out of the room for a bit.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Unhelpfully, it varies from area to area, and even then school to school. Some gifted programs are cool and some aren't.

Yaaaaaaaaay why is everything so difficult yaaaaaaaaay

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also various by parents. We have a friend who teaches at the 130+ IQ school kinda nearby. We considered that for our kid before he got his autism diagnosis. We went to their open house to see it. The school was nice, the teachers were nice, the parents who wanted their kids to go to the very intelligent kids school were insufferable. All the worst nerd stereotypes with an air of superiority. I noped out on the school mostly because I'm sure that kind of environment would shape my kid in a bad way.
But that's not really comparable to a gifted and talented programme obviously.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
There are gifted programs and even schools by IQ?! What kind of eugenics based country is that?
:stare:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Votskomit posted:

There are gifted programs and even schools by IQ?! What kind of eugenics based country is that?
:stare:

Denmark. I don't know that we have actual gifted schools, but private schools can do what they want, as long as the students pass the standardised exams. It's like a Catholic school, except with mensa instead of pope.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Denmark. I don't know that we have actual gifted schools, but private schools can do what they want, as long as the students pass the standardised exams. It's like a Catholic school, except with mensa instead of pope.

that statement made me reflexively support a new crusade and I'm not catholic

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

what do they do, colour inside the lines?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if there's money to be made you can find people to tell you whatever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

RBC posted:

i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

what do they do, colour inside the lines?

I was programming and already posting on the early internet at that age. Before DSM 4 and the addition of Asperger’s syndrome in 94 these programs caught most of the high functioning autistic kids and were to some extent shaped by that. The public programs are still one route of help for those kids.

I went to the best public gifted school in the US. I was trailer trash, quite poor. I’d say it broke down about a third autistic/ gifted, a third gifted, and a third rich. Almost all the actually gifted kids are 2E in some way.

The most direct answer to your question is asymmetrical development. Some things are happening in their brain early. For the 2E kids some things are happening early and some late (or not at all with the autism.)

Since most of us were kids the thinking on it has changed dramatically, and I think that happened because of the DSM changes to autism criteria. That has the potential to be positive, but what I see of public schools is significantly more rigidity and terrible curriculum, worse than I remember. and rich folks have mostly captured the programs by prepping their kids for testing.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Oct 20, 2023