Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Croccers posted:

Lol.
For the last like 6+ years, up until now, all you had to do was run uBlock Origin on Chrome/Firefox.

If anything it's those loving Fandom Wikis that you had to constantly pick block poo poo to make them viewable sites.

Easily more than 10+ years ago. Probably 15+ years ago.

Duck and Cover posted:

Why would you admit to this? Ad blockers are dirt easy to use and yet you're like :smug: I'm the smart one for deciding not to use them.

No shade thrown at those who do use them. Just explaining why I don't. I use the service enough that paying would be justified if I personally paid for it (Have in the past, likely will in the future).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The General posted:

Easily more than 10+ years ago. Probably 15+ years ago.

No shade thrown at those who do use them. Just explaining why I don't. I use the service enough that paying would be justified if I personally paid for it (Have in the past, likely will in the future).

Thanks for telling us the lies/half truths you use to justify to yourself and others your selfish short sighted laziness. Ohhhhh this garbage hosting service is worth it to me! I'm really being a savvy consumer! Ad blockers are really hard.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Which part am I lying about?? :confused:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The General posted:

Which part am I lying about?? :confused:

Lol.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I also pay for streaming services to watch shows I like :eyepop:

Edit: Speaking of, if anybody is paying for youtubes in here you should watch the YouTube Originals™ Weird City (comedy Black Mirror) and Wayne (disgruntled delinquent teen goes across country to reclaim his dad's car).

The General fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 19, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The General posted:

I also pay for streaming services to watch shows I like :eyepop:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042532

Lol.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

The General posted:

Why would you not use an adblocker and make the internet way more usable though? Like there is no effort. You install Ublock and nearly all ads are gone. It updates automatically. You literally install it and forget about it.

At times you might have to fiddle with something when Youtube or whatever pulls a fuckery like this, but even if you don't care to, you see like 95% fewer ads.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

See above. I used to, just got tired of fighting the good fight and gave up never to return. Outside of Fandom I don't even really notice ads.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
But what fight? Like you install it once and then it's there and you never touch it. I'm pretty sure I installed it for my mom like five years ago and she has probably forgotten it exists and it still blocks the ads just fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's like demonic possession, you can just pour a circle of salt around your house once and be protected, or you can pay the demon a monthly tithe to possess someone else instead.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't imagine trying to use half the internet without an adblocker. So many sites are basically unreadable without them.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Maybe they like the internet being an ad infested hell hole?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Elukka posted:

But what fight? Like you install it once and then it's there and you never touch it. I'm pretty sure I installed it for my mom like five years ago and she has probably forgotten it exists and it still blocks the ads just fine.

A very very long time ago there was a crackdown on ad blockers and everyday for like a week I had to fiddle with something to make them work. So I just stopped trying and have never bothered to go back. Yes I am a quitter at most things in life.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i avert my eyes from any and all signage, kiosks, posters, and displays

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The General posted:

A very very long time ago there was a crackdown on ad blockers and everyday for like a week I had to fiddle with something to make them work. So I just stopped trying and have never bothered to go back. Yes I am a quitter at most things in life.

you put so much more effort into defending your laziness than clickin on "install extension" its insane lol

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I have a lot of free time, and shitposting is more fun than installing extensions.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I don't condone violence but didn't YouTube very recently piss off people enough to get their office shot up?

That was five years ago. Nasim Aghdam shot up the YouTube HQ because they changed the rules for ad revenue sharing and it killed her income.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The General posted:

So a long time ago you were too dumb to paste one link into an auto filter list and gave up forever and just deal w ads ez ept for when you can use a friends account to avoid them good job

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

hbag posted:

seeing the mcdonalds logo and screaming in anguish as my body pilots itself to order a quarter pounder against my will

Read this post in Dave Mustaine's voice. It didn't disappoint.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Random Stranger posted:

Running people off so you might make a hundredth of a cent is a bad business decision.

I'm not sure I follow. Pure in-app engagement is not the working profit model at YT.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I have ad blockers on my pc but not on my phone or tv. So, I'm used to a little of both. The ad version clutters the home page. If you forget to skip, then you get infomercials that are an hour long. It doesn't make sense. The normal 5 sec skip/15 sec required ads aren't that bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Zybourne Clock posted:

Let's not dunk on the gormless ad-watcher too hard. His low standards are what keeps YouTube afloat, after all.

Yeah it's like the fools who whale my F2P games, I mean sure keep paying up so I can keep rocking it free.

dervival posted:

McDonald's advertiser execs should follow Lowtax's example!!!

To be fair that "MCDONALDS!" patent was actually from Sony

I'm the tiny whole pickle in a gigantic meat patty.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Just putting a schlong in a burger, nbd

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my son wont put the pickel in the burger. he always slides it really close but never in. we asked him to stop buyt he just laughs and says hes getting dilled. please help we need to watch the bachelar.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's like demonic possession, you can just pour a circle of salt around your house once and be protected, or you can pay the demon a monthly tithe to possess someone else instead.
That's a terrible example. That actually sounds interesting in some way instead of watching 3 minutes of ads every 5 minutes of content. Or 1 minute of ads for daring to select a new video.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fcc compliant bob posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Pure in-app engagement is not the working profit model at YT.

I was talking about web sites in general who throw "disable your adblocker" messages since they push people away rather than have them disable the block. The lost revenue from the adblocker is next to nothing, but driving people away from your website has a multiplicative effect; people who leave just don't think about you at all and would never direct anyone else there.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This is so humiliating, it feels like it's more about power and dominance than about profit

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mr McDonald sitting in his golden tower spying on us through our TV saying we are loving it while sliding the pickle to speed up the 12 minute commercial to get back to the trailer for McDonald's Disney's Marvel's The Supersized Avengers movie.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is there a patent for a feature where it shows you four of your most pathetic Google searches and then you need to circle the most pathetic one with your remote and type "I'm a bad and worthless human being and everyone only pretends to like me out of politeness and I will never feel good again" and if you make a typo you have to start again? Billionaires would pay to place these, cause, let's be honest, once your net worth reaches $10 billion, money doesn't do it anymore but this could

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

A real world example of how far this stuff goes is the case a few years ago where Target predicted a teen girl's pregnancy before she knew about it, and they announced it to her family by sending her dad coupons for baby products. They're able to accurately model out the behavior of pregnant women (in this case what clued them in was largely her switching to a non-fragrant shampoo). They now intimately know your demographics and they target you with ads tailored specifically to your demographics. By sending her coupons for baby products right around when they know she's first learning about her pregnancy, she's much more likely to use those coupons.
:

That didn't actually happen, as far as can be determined the story is basically a form of meta-marketing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tunicate posted:

That didn't actually happen, as far as can be determined the story is basically a form of meta-marketing.

The only source I can find repeating what you're saying here is an article by a guy with seemingly no credentials posted on medium (an outlet that allows literally anyone to write opinion pieces about any topic they want) who postulates that it's "probably not true" with his reasoning being: "I don't believe it"

e: lmao it's written by a Meta employee, a company famous for downplaying stories about data harvesting, who also writes articles about how raising minimum wage is bad

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 20, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Other experts have said the unsourced story has no grounding.

And applying any critical thinking, the story itself just doesn't make any sense on the face of it.

>The latest mailer from target arrives, including deals on all sorts of things like wine glasses and baby stuff
>the father opens it and starts reading it for deals on things
>seeing an ad for baby stuff mixed in with the other target ads, he quickly looks at the mailing address and realizes it was mailed to his daughter instead of at him
>he comes to the conclusion that the baby stuff, specifically, is targeted at his daughter
>he runs into a physical target location to complain to the manager about this because?????????
>the manager decides to make a followup call to the psycho who came in person to the store and ranted about the advertisements he got in the mail

It is utterly implausible as a chain of events, with the contrived setup only existing to get the payoff of 'our product knows this girl better than her own father!!!!!!!!', with a side of 'people get upset at ads that are NOT targeted'.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
The above is simply the joyous process of becoming a formless semi-divine entity beyond such feeble constraints, glad for her!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

describing an everyday mundane task as an "experience" is a shibboleth that lets you know you're dealing with a lizard person

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Why do you need a personalised shopping experience? If I'm looking for shoes, I select my shoe size and maybe narrow it down to a style. I don't need the website to track me across the entire internet and fill that in for me.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
lmao the guy who did that comic is literally a marketer and makes comics about solely about marketing https://marketoonist.com/

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

look all im saying is i have a weird mix of different ad blockers and poo poo and im yet to get a single popup or ad from youtube

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Why do you need a personalised shopping experience? If I'm looking for shoes, I select my shoe size and maybe narrow it down to a style. I don't need the website to track me across the entire internet and fill that in for me.

I appreciate personalized stuff but the "shopping experience" on random websites is usually trash. My doctor is helpful with suggesting stuff before it becomes an issue. GetCheapJorts.com doesn't help me in anyway.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

when i go to a shopping site i search for the thing i want to buy and then i buy it. why does google need to know my browsing history for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So it can suggest you buy another baby coffin the next time you're shopping.