Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The UFC pretty much has to care since USADA has basically all the sanctioning power, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

could the ufc build an octagon so large that all 500 fighters could hide under it for the next two months?

Lol. They could make one big enough for the 20 or so fighters they sort of care about I guess.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

the conspiracy theory that under all walmarts are secret connecting tunnels for FEMA camps, but all UFC octagons are connected to allow fighters to crawl under any at any given time to escape USADA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Volk is coming off surgery and his turn around is not within the expected recovery time. Add to it the short as gently caress notice he probably hadn't been in camp until he got the call. I do not like his chances in this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Volk is coming off surgery and his turn around is not within the expected recovery time. Add to it the short as gently caress notice he probably hadn't been in camp until he got the call. I do not like his chances in this.

this is all true. what do you think he's thinking? because there was loving no reason to volunteer for this lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

this is all true. what do you think he's thinking? because there was loving no reason to volunteer for this lol

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

He gets paid a bunch of money, he gets a crack at an Islam who hasn't prepared for him this time around too, and he's Alexander Volkanovski, so he very much thinks he can win. Plus he's wanted the Islam rematch and he wasn't sure he'd get it otherwise, which is apparently a well-founded fear, as Islam's already calling out the winner of Leon/Colby for his next fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i think he'd make more with a full promotional run up but gently caress i don't know maybe dana wanted it real bad

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
think Dana offered a dumptruck because its a Middle East card and he does not want them to pull their money out of this sportswashing venture

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

USADA is still around until the beginning of January

Speaking of, they haven't bothered to test Conor once yet since he's re-entered the pool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i seriously think if volk volunteered for this fight then he is healthy and fight fit and he absolutely has a plan to gently caress islam up. i refuse to believe he'd just volunteer to embarrass himself for absolutely no reason. if that's exactly what he did tho, because this is mma, lol.

Volk is so good that if he wasn't injured, he could take a fight on a literal minutes notice and not come out of it embarrassed tbh

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE FC Friday is back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrgxHD0k_-0

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lid posted:

think Dana offered a dumptruck because its a Middle East card and he does not want them to pull their money out of this sportswashing venture

Yeah I have assumed for a while now that Dana goes way over the top to fix late changes for PPV headliners. It’s the one time where the fighter has all the leverage, and he seems to be able to motivate a lot of big fighters to take fights on short notice.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of, they haven't bothered to test Conor once yet since he's re-entered the pool.
The agents haven’t completed their NBC training yet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/pelunaton/status/1715366398229147727?s=20

coathat
May 21, 2007

TGIF baby!!

My prediction is that Volk gets a 4th round ko and afterwards Islam is ranked #1pfp

coathat
May 21, 2007

My god this Aslamjon Ortikov vs. Pethuahin Jitmuangnon fight is loving insane

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1715436435707224133

just the UFC trying to pressure out two separate world title fights as last-minute replacements and also an instant championship match for khamzat chimaev, no big deal

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hate the “he’s got that dog in him” philosophy, but even Strickland’s got his limits it seems.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Wooo I'm an insane man, kill or be killed! Just cuh-raaaazy... no not like that."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1715193234819883354?t=zZJyvs1_e2h6Y5wZNuuqhA&s=19

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
:siren: Here is the UFC 294 thread, come talk about the card which starts in 1 hour :siren:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Missed the card, but maybe that wasn't the worst thing to happen

https://twitter.com/JoshLBarnett/status/1715790600153272813

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i refuse to believe he'd just volunteer to embarrass himself for absolutely no reason. if that's exactly what he did tho, because this is mma, lol.

mma rules

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of my favorite things about MMA is how often you get to watch top level athletes intentionally do the stupidest things possible because they "have that dog in them" or feel the need to prove they can win the opponents game or whatever dumb insecurity wormed into their head. No other sport like it

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

One of my favorite things about MMA is how often you get to watch top level athletes intentionally do the stupidest things possible because they "have that dog in them" or feel the need to prove they can win the opponents game or whatever dumb insecurity wormed into their head. No other sport like it

like clockwork,

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1715836513001627981

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as far as excuses go i completely get this and he still accepts responsibility for it. he's a cool dude.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

as far as excuses go i completely get this and he still accepts responsibility for it. he's a cool dude.

I absolutely agree, and I also hope someone in his camp has his ear enough to tell him not to fight Ilia Topuria in January so he can have actual time to really recover and prepare after getting his poo poo wrecked.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
did anyone tell him it was a bad idea

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

Somehow I still overestimated.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope he made a shitload of money for saving the card

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

leftist heap posted:

did anyone tell him it was a bad idea

probably literally everyone. i still understand. especially at his age every second on the shelf would have been agony.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Somehow I still overestimated.

my avatar is like the dude caesar hired to whisper in his ear 'you are but a dumb, stupid, really moronic man'

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just wanted to say lol Johnny Walker

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

I absolutely agree, and I also hope someone in his camp has his ear enough to tell him not to fight Ilia Topuria in January so he can have actual time to really recover and prepare after getting his poo poo wrecked.

Dana: yeah, but we can either have you fight Ilia in two weeks or 10 months. You really want to sit around at home that long with YOUR THOUGHTS creeping in, bud?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Whomst among us can spend time with our families without resorting to physical combat

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Might as well share this over here too

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1715831031310287249?t=5U-KABl_grYJyaV74dJfRw&s=19

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Javid Basharat, maybe, kind of sucks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe he's fishing for pics as proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Maybe he has evidence that he’s a hyper responder to roids.