Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
loving Arizona. This exurban hellhole outside of Phoenix wants to import desalinated water from the Gulf of California.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/19/arizona-mexico-water-pipeline-housing-boom

Pipeline dreams: the desert city out to surpass Phoenix by importing water

quote:

The population of Buckeye, located 35 miles west of Phoenix, has doubled over the past decade to just under 120,000 and it is now priming itself to eventually become one of the largest cities in the US west. The city’s boundaries are vast – covering an area stretching out into the Sonoran Desert that would encompass two New York Cities – and so are its ambitions.

Buckeye expects to one day contain as many as 1.5 million people, rivaling or even surpassing Phoenix – the sixth largest city in the US that uses roughly 2bn gallons of water a day – by sprawling out the tendrils of suburbia, with its neat lawns, snaking roads and large homes, into the baking desert.

Arizona’s challenging water situation appears a major barrier to such hopes, however. In June, the state announced that new uses of its groundwater have essentially hit a limit, placing restrictions on house building, just a few months after the state lost a fifth of its water allocation from the ailing Colorado River.

quote:

Some of the grander options are ambitious to the point of appearing outlandish, such as a plan to bring desalinated seawater from Mexico to Arizona via a lengthy, uphill pipeline. Arizona may, instead, pipe in water west from California, or from 1,000 miles east, from the Missouri river. Buckeye has already shown it is prepared to spend big to achieve its dreams – in January the city council agreed to spend $80m for a single acre of nearby land, an area smaller than a football pitch, just to secure its attached water rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

cat botherer posted:

loving Arizona. This exurban hellhole outside of Phoenix wants to import desalinated water from the Gulf of California.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/19/arizona-mexico-water-pipeline-housing-boom

lmao @ thinking 80 million is big money when compared to a project of the scale they are talking about

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
1. Sell cheap water to stupid city
2. Wait for a million rubes to move in
3. Increase price of water 10x
4. Profit while laughing

Someone invest in my company. I've already bought 500 buckets and a shopping cart

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

lmao @ thinking 80 million is big money when compared to a project of the scale they are talking about

It's big money for a city of 120k though

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

americans should stop or not be allowed to call that nonsense a "city"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Laterite posted:

not for long

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Microplastics posted:

1. Sell cheap water to stupid city
2. Wait for a million rubes to move in
3. Increase price of water 10x
4. Profit while laughing

Someone invest in my company. I've already bought 500 buckets and a shopping cart

You BOUGHT a shopping cart? You know those things are free right? No business sense, not giving you my money.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Not even oil, all the easy stuff is gone! Bully for those neo-agrarian, pre-industrial future humans.

they'll have a grand old time excavating our landfills for trace metals and plastic scraps

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if we are already at the planning stages of aerosols I need to get to work on designing a snowpiercer train

First! to strip down and dive headfirst into the nutrient recycling bath i ain't eating your bug bars no more

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

cat botherer posted:

I’m sure that is nothing compared to what they are letting the Saudis use for alfalfa

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

cat botherer posted:

Whenever Arizona and its dwindling water comes up I think about this article from years ago, highlighting one part of Arizona's water problem, selling water rights for cheap because the weather in certain parts means growing alfalfa for cows and other crops and shipping them out can be done year round. The big companies can drill deeper and deeper meanwhile residents often go days without water because their wells no long reach the dwindling groundwater.

Mind this is from 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/magazine/the-water-wars-of-arizona.html

quote:

Most groundwater rights in Arizona are still based on the frontier legal doctrine of “reasonable use,” which holds that a landowner retains the right to pump as much water as he or she pleases, so long as it’s put to a “reasonable use” such as farming. In 1980, Arizona became the first state to pass groundwater reform, effectively deeming groundwater a public rather than a private resource. But in the years since, few regulatory safeguards have extended beyond the boundaries of Tucson and Phoenix. Outside those places, little has changed since statehood in 1912: A farmer needed only to file an Intent to Drill notice and pay a $150 permitting fee and was then free to pump as much as desired. For valley farmers, growing high-water crops like alfalfa and nuts, this often meant about 2,000 gallons, roughly the capacity of a tanker truck, every minute, 24 hours a day, with only intermittent breaks for several months. In 2017 alone, one farm pumped 22 billion gallons, nearly double the volume of bottled water sold in the United States annually.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Using fossil water to grow alfalfa in a desert for cattle feed is exceptionally dark

I was wondering the other day, if we are dumping 7 Hiroshimas worth of heat into the ocean per second, how many Castle Bravos is that per week? Tsar Bombas per year? How would the total amount of heat absorbed thus far compare to the global nuclear arsenal at its historic peak? Science wants to know!

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

Using fossil water to grow alfalfa in a desert for cattle feed is exceptionally dark

I was wondering the other day, if we are dumping 7 Hiroshimas worth of heat into the ocean per second, how many Castle Bravos is that per week? Tsar Bombas per year? How would the total amount of heat absorbed thus far compare to the global nuclear arsenal at its historic peak? Science wants to know!

Imagine a lifeless ball of scorched sand and ash. Earth works the same way.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Watched Southland Tales last night after hearing about it a few years back. Both a perfect time capsule of 2006 and weirdly prescient. Also a complete loving mess. Also hilarious. Maybe the most C-SPAM movie ever made?

Of all the weird throwaway bits and lines that predicted our current world this one is just :discourse: for this thread

e: seriously how the gently caress did this get made?

fart barterer has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Oct 19, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol lmao

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/us/alaska-crabs-ocean-heat-climate/index.html

quote:

Billions of snow crabs have disappeared from the ocean around Alaska in recent years, and scientists now say they know why: Warmer ocean temperatures likely caused them to starve to death.

no poo poo sherlock

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I ate the snow crabs, yummy

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hm hard to say

Mr Beef Head
Feb 26, 2017
The interesting part wasnt that they starved, but why. It wasnt that the food supply had disappeared. There was probably just as much forage for the crabs as in past years. The warmer temps increased their homeostatis, made them much more active, so much that there were not enough calories availiable. I think it said they were needing 10x more than a normal year. The cold water was key to keeping their metabolisms low and slow.
And yeah I wonder what chances i would give on it continuing? About 100%. Are we digiging up out of the ground more or less stuff we dont need? More, always more. More to fix the problem. More because of all the problems 'more' keeps making. To no end.
Sorry, just a bummer. Crabs are cool.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
its still goin
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1714662842727883106?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mr Beef Head posted:

The interesting part wasnt that they starved, but why. It wasnt that the food supply had disappeared. There was probably just as much forage for the crabs as in past years. The warmer temps increased their homeostatis, made them much more active, so much that there were not enough calories availiable. I think it said they were needing 10x more than a normal year. The cold water was key to keeping their metabolisms low and slow.

So they exercised to death.

I warned you about exercise. I fuckin told you bro

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

okay so Donald Trump thinks he's a snow crab?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I am not a smart climate person but what disturbs me about this graph is less the temperature deviation and more the fact that none of the other lines seem to be doing the thing where they start going up and then just keep going up

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I am not a smart climate person but what disturbs me about this graph is less the temperature deviation and more the fact that none of the other lines seem to be doing the thing where they start going up and then just keep going up

It is perfectly normaalia. Nothing to worry about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
number go up

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Paradoxish posted:

oh, so you hate when number goes up?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

what if we tricked the number worshippers into thinking the global temperature deviation is actually a bad number, like "amount of leftists in power" or "wages"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

MMania posted:

I used to live in a house with a 3/4 acre lawn and I mowed that thing probably a hundred times. I ask myself "why," and I'm coming up completely blank. Gallons of gasoline, oil changes and maintenance, as well as the manufacture of the lawnmower and it's little house in my backyard, all just so I "owned a lawn." Hahaha lol.

sounds like the lawn owned you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

For valley farmers, growing high-water crops like alfalfa and nuts, this often meant about 2,000 gallons, roughly the capacity of a tanker truck, every minute, 24 hours a day, with only intermittent breaks for several months. In 2017 alone, one farm pumped 22 billion gallons, nearly double the volume of bottled water sold in the United States annually.
this probably sounds worse than it is, if it were really bad they wouldn’t do it for very long.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

corona familiar posted:

what if we tricked the number worshippers into thinking the global temperature deviation is actually a bad number, like "amount of leftists in power" or "wages"

there are no bad numbers.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I regret to inform you all that climate activism is now bad because the Swedish girl doesn't support the Palestinian genocide https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1715284878919340056

(I guarantee that there are a significant number of liberals who will actually believe poo poo like this)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Dokapon Findom posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

quote:

It exploded with an energy of approximately 15 kilotons of TNT (63 TJ)

so that means we're adding 7 * 63 * 10^12 J s^-1 of energy to the ocean, 4.41 × 10^14 joules per second.

tsar bomba = 2.25e+17 joules, so roughly one tsar bomba every 500 seconds or 8.5 minutes. that's 1185 tsar bombas per week, or about 61,000 per year.

seems like the total world's first strike capacity was roughly 15,000 megatons at its peak (source https://ourworldindata.org/nuclear-weapons), which is 6.2 x 10^19 J. If we dump 7 Hiroshimas per second into the ocean, then the equivalent energy of the global nuclear arsenal at its peak is released in about 40 hours.

:science:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Potato Salad posted:

okay so Donald Trump thinks he's a snow crab?

u dont???

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

gonna be a solid 70 degrees all next week lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Scarabrae posted:

gonna be a solid 70 degrees all next week lol

low 55 high 95 just normal weathers forever

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

haha, don't put humans in charge of anything. instead of using existing facilities, let's construct a new building with CO2-releasing concrete with migrant workers flown in from different countries in a place that can't exist without air conditioning, so we can talk about how to fix the climate!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/20/cop28-migrant-workers-uae-heat-climate-crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Just get an electric mower. Or pay some kid to do it! Be a job creator.

There was a good article posted upthread that said a lot of them (~1 billion) probably never existed to begin with and were an overcount based on how the crab fishing industry regulates itself

The rest absolutely starved though

What's a UFB???

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

so that means we're adding 7 * 63 * 10^12 J s^-1 of energy to the ocean, 4.41 × 10^14 joules per second.

tsar bomba = 2.25e+17 joules, so roughly one tsar bomba every 500 seconds or 8.5 minutes. that's 1185 tsar bombas per week, or about 61,000 per year.

seems like the total world's first strike capacity was roughly 15,000 megatons at its peak (source https://ourworldindata.org/nuclear-weapons), which is 6.2 x 10^19 J. If we dump 7 Hiroshimas per second into the ocean, then the equivalent energy of the global nuclear arsenal at its peak is released in about 40 hours.

:science:
Holy poo poo!!! :wth: Thank you