Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

People I have spoken to over the past week have shifted from “Let them fight” mentality to “ok ok I don’t think carpet bombing women and children is helping”

It’s literally Joe Biden pushing this poo poo on the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Death By The Blues posted:

Egypt may have just said gently caress it and opened the Rafah crossing

https://twitter.com/AlarabyTV/status/1715353818441953295

if this is true thats big let me double check

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-conflict

quote:

Israel would then move to end its responsibility under international law as the occupying power in the Gaza Strip. How it could do so remains an open question.

The above is "phase three" of the Israel's war plan. What could that mean? Sink Gaza into the Med?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/israel-hamas-war-gaza-strip-conflict

The above is "phase three" of the Israel's war plan. What could that mean? Sink Gaza into the Med?

it means genocide or ethnic cleansing

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atelier morgan posted:

important to remember that all the iran nukes poo poo is based off a false premise that iran wants or is seeking nuclear capability

they aren't, they haven't been, they would have had nukes a decade ago if they had

also Iran abided by the rules of the anti-nuke development treaty with the US until Trump withdrew from it in 2018

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Hezbollah is getting ballsy with their attacks

https://twitter.com/ME_Observer_/status/1715355337035821409

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Filthy Hans posted:

also Iran abided by the rules of the anti-nuke development treaty with the US until Trump withdrew from it in 2018

ya I assume zionist donors told him to blow it up

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Filthy Hans posted:

clever of them to store up all those beakers and save that great scientist to rush completion of their nuke program. rookie mistake from America, skill issue for sure.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

egyptians out in force for palestine :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/arabic_post/status/1715342578122392052?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zohar posted:

western govts seem to think this is a ukraine situation in terms of public support but it really doesn't look like it. and that's without any economic pain so far

the public at large here in burgerland is pretty dumb and wildly propogandized to but maybe you can't sell Ukranuan intervention on "big bully country with big army invade bomb kill and occupy little place that can't fight back good without help" and then try to flip the script on how our sympathies are supposed to work in the same loving election cycle.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ProfessorBooty posted:

Can't wait until we have sweat shop houses desperately hand crafting munitions to meet our quota.

same here it means American workers could meaningfully disrupt war production and turn this public sentiment into concrete action. As it is we are largely stuck trying to get a small handful of orgs to pull retirement funds out of Israeli investments. Politically there is 0 opportunity for any anti-imperial effort. It's rough

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

I actually havent heard much from unions here in support of palestine

to be clear i havent heard much of anything at all about the conflict from unions

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

In Training posted:

same here it means American workers could meaningfully disrupt war production and turn this public sentiment into concrete action. As it is we are largely stuck trying to get a small handful of orgs to pull retirement funds out of Israeli investments. Politically there is 0 opportunity for any anti-imperial effort. It's rough

yep.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the only good people in norway are out for palestine

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1715355938704457931?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Always kind of wonder how people can see what their parents do and let them keep going.

My mom is awful and has awful beliefs, and my dad is awful and has awful beliefs, but at least the worst thing they do is watch rumble or fox news.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That poll is pretty eye opening but public sentiment has no effect whatsoever on policy in this country. Bourgeois have consolidated enough power since 70s that they don't have to even pretend to care about that poo poo anymore.

Remember at the height of summer 2020 there was majority support for defend and like not insignificant support for an abolitionist position. Wild poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

As it is we are largely stuck trying to get a small handful of orgs to pull retirement funds out of Israeli investments.

Which they've somehow made illegal in a lot of states? I know those laws are wildly unconstitutional and that doesn't matter, the Supreme Court will let it happen if the case ever goes to them. But I don't get the enforcement of them. How do you compel someone not to boycott something?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't have time to write this all up at the moment, but there's a thread here that connects the Anglican hospital that was bombed to the state of the American Empire.

Britain built up a huge global Anglican Church under the Victorians, trying to compete with Catholicism and also create a class of civil servants, administrators, soldiers etc. that were Anglicized. Whatever you think about the Brits, Christianity has an appeal, and the Anglican Church was successful in many parts of the world, including Mandatory Palestine.

When the Brits quit Empire, they basically cut all of these people loose. This is kind of a through line for Britain, because they were really big on taking their toys and going home. Another thing is, where Catholicism is slowly coming to terms with being a global religion where most Catholics, the ones who take it most seriously, the places where the Church is growing, are outside of Europe, the Brits absolutely cannot deal with this. It's the Church of bloody England innit? So they refuse to give leadership of the Anglican Church to the people who are its lifeblood.

Desmond Tutu was the closest to the ideal of an Anglican bishop in a hundred years or more, but the Brits really don't care. Well, this was an Anglican hospital that was bombed. Has the King of England, who is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England made any statement about this? What is it supposed to mean to be Anglican? What are all of these institutions for?

I bring that up, because I think we're starting to see this with American institutions too. Like Gradenko said, capitalism trumps nationalism, and as the Empire recedes, a lot of things America has spent effort pretending matter are going to be cut loose too.

Anyway, there's an interesting book about how the future of the Anglican Church, paradoxically, will probably be outside of England:

The Anglican Church in Burma: From Colonial Past to Global Future

Sometimes presumed to be a mere relic of British colonialism, the Anglican Church in Burma (Myanmar) has its own complex identity, intricately interwoven with beliefs and traditions that predate the arrival of Christianity. In this essential volume, Edward Jarvis succinctly reconstructs this history and demonstrates how Burma’s unique voice adds vital context to the study of Anglicanism’s predicament and the future of worldwide Christianity.

Over the past two hundred years, the Anglican Church in Burma has seen empires rise and fall. Anglican Christians survived the brutal Japanese occupation, experienced rampant poverty and environmental disaster, and began a tortuous and frustrating quest for peace and freedom under a lawless dictatorship. Using a range of sources, including archival documents and the firsthand accounts of Anglicans from a variety of backgrounds, Jarvis tells the story of the church’s life beyond empire, exploring how Christians of non-Western heritage remade the church after a significant part of its liturgical documents and literature was destroyed in World War Two and how, more recently, the church has gained attention for its alignment with influential conservative and orthodox movements within Anglicanism.

Comprehensive and concise, this fascinating history will appeal to scholars and students of religious studies, World Christianity, church history, and the history of missions and theology as well as to clergy, seminarians, and those interested in the current crises and future direction of Anglicanism.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/oelfatairy/status/1715338582510981488?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

egyptian protestors are physically aat the rafah crossing demanding it be opened.

alexandria out in force for palestine

https://twitter.com/oelfatairy/status/1715315642172100799?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

this is the first time in a decade egyptians were allowed to protest at all let alone like this.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Zohar posted:

western govts seem to think this is a ukraine situation in terms of public support but it really doesn't look like it. and that's without any economic pain so far
The post-08 western ego finally popped and deflated, one can hope finally and for good, with that failed war in ukraine. So many things are falling apart/into place because the US/NATO no longer have control of their own narratives. Though they are trying bless their stupid loving black shriveled hearts.

webcams for christ posted:

if Isreal didn't exist yet the USA would invent it.

the Middle East is too important a region to be left to their own devices. It requires imperial core vassal states that are reliable outposts from which to manage the region, its infrastructure, and the outflow of its resources.

I don't see how a Palestinian state is possible without the core losing control of the region altogether

:hmmyes:

Pretty much the story of Israel, part of the immediate post ww2 "get our affairs in order, crush the new waves, we are no1 and dont you forget it" mindsets permeating the us and uk then. A palestinian state is only possible with a dti, and in order to have that you need a dta.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AFpost/status/1715153278915526813

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

egyptian Heroine shouting at Western media at border crossing

https://twitter.com/lowkey0nline/status/1715345403875340542?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

https://twitter.com/lowkey0nline/status/1715342298446209140?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

I actually havent heard much from unions here in support of palestine

to be clear i havent heard much of anything at all about the conflict from unions

Nationally they haven't taken any positions at all. There are locals that have printed support for Palestinian liberation and like I said, urged their national org to adopt BDS and pull e.g. pension funds from Israeli investments. Afaik these have not been adopted at scale anywhere, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Even these locals adopting a position like this is a newer development though, I know from union organizers I work with these are internally VERY contentious - you get any group of hundreds of Americans in an organization and there will be a militant minority who does anything they can to disrupt the process and use the regular Zionist rhetoric, whether bc they are actually Zionist or bc they read the News. It's good though bc the pro Palestine support is the majority and the union can stand firm on that and win people over w/ a serious approach to handling the derailing attempts and help nudge their members politically one step at a time to internationalism.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

so has the pope denounced the bombing of that church yet?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao the RPG round hanging from the bottom

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/oelfatairy/status/1715338582510981488?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

egyptian protestors are physically aat the rafah crossing demanding it be opened.

alexandria out in force for palestine

https://twitter.com/oelfatairy/status/1715315642172100799?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

this is the first time in a decade egyptians were allowed to protest at all let alone like this.

Beautiful

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I can fix her

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao

Horus Hitler

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao the RPG round hanging from the bottom

to be honest a rocket propelled pile bunker drone is a really ingenious idea hamas is so much cooler than i thought possible

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Weird, tying race, nationality, and religion into one genocidal monster is making people anti semetic thats odd how'd that happen

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

citibank staffer rehired, promoted when clarifying that "them" meant nonwhites

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Nationally they haven't taken any positions at all. There are locals that have printed support for Palestinian liberation and like I said, urged their national org to adopt BDS and pull e.g. pension funds from Israeli investments. Afaik these have not been adopted at scale anywhere, but I would like to be proven wrong.

Even these locals adopting a position like this is a newer development though, I know from union organizers I work with these are internally VERY contentious - you get any group of hundreds of Americans in an organization and there will be a militant minority who does anything they can to disrupt the process and use the regular Zionist rhetoric, whether bc they are actually Zionist or bc they read the News. It's good though bc the pro Palestine support is the majority and the union can stand firm on that and win people over w/ a serious approach to handling the derailing attempts and help nudge their members politically one step at a time to internationalism.

Thanks for the info, I think the IWW was going to put out a statement, or at last they put out donations at minimum to palestine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
people pushing for literal genocide: "oh my god what a good speech by king biden"
lady makes a bad joke: fired forever

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

citibank staffer rehired, promoted when clarifying that "them" meant nonwhites

also this lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Ukraine: let us drop grenades in open hatches
Hamas: we will use explosively formed penetrators so as to not rely on the incompetence of our enemy

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Truga posted:

people pushing for literal genocide: "oh my god what a good speech by king biden"
lady makes a bad joke: fired forever

She offended her betters.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
At least our grandparents lived long enough to teach us the evils of the holocaust before we got to experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Every american that votes for Joe Biden in Nov 2024 is complicit in genocide