Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Which website is best for uploading my EDH deck and doing ANALYTICS to figure out what fat can be trimmed and things like my mana distribution, etc so I know which lands to safely replace with better lands etc? Seeing my Mana curve and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which website is best for uploading my EDH deck and doing ANALYTICS to figure out what fat can be trimmed and things like my mana distribution, etc so I know which lands to safely replace with better lands etc? Seeing my Mana curve and so on.

Use moxfield.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
moxfield will do that for you, for example from my narset enlightened exile deck:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Postmodern Video Games posted:

moxfield will do that for you, for example from my narset enlightened exile deck:

Ew, light mode

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Jiro posted:

Would a card like that be there to only spite him? I thought it was pretty commonplace to run Hexproof/Shroud on a few things or on Equipment, it's not like it also affects Ward.

It's not as prevalent at least from what I've seen. But this chromium player is all in on killing through commander damage.

Thrag
Dec 12, 2003
Re: moxfield, is there anyway to have it automatically group artifact creatures?

I've got an artifact decks where it would be great to easily see how many artifact creatures I have, but it just counts them as creatures when grouping by type and doesn't count it as a subtype either. Same issue for counting number of legendaries. I'd rather not have to tag by hand.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks for the land suggestions!

Why the triome hate?
Is it because they enter tapped?
You can fetch them, and cycle them if drawn in the laye game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

ETBT lands are too slow for commander in general- having to wait effectively 3 opponent turns is a lot of lost mana value. Fetches actually make them worse. With fetches and shocks, you are already able to get perfect mana for whatever you need to cast and it's all untapped so you can cast it this turn instead of having to wait a full turn cycle.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My first deck was a 2 color precon and swapping out all the ETBT duals for basics significantly improved it.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Raenir Salazar posted:

Archidekt also does a good breakdown, especially for curve and mana colour cost/production. That dual pie chart is helpful when adjusting the mana base, makes it really easy to figure out which basic to remove when adding in a new [rare dual land with set mechanic]. It can be organized by card type or by custom categories, which can make figuring out draw/removal/ramp/theme balance a bit easier if you want to see those numbers at a glance.

Also has a tokens section just under that, so you can build the deck and then see all the tokens it can possibly make. Can help avoid situations where you're halfway through a game and suddenly realize you have a single card in your deck that makes clue tokens.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ew, light mode

I browse the forums in light mode too. :unsmigghh:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Postmodern Video Games posted:

I browse the forums in light mode too. :unsmigghh:

:mods:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So I had a game recently where I "achievement unlocked" to win after being at less than 1 life, and after being bored for a couple days I came up with a list of EDH Achievements. I'm trying to hit the line where these are doable, but not without the right deck, but not not without the exact two cards that allow it. I'm also trying to spread the love across colors and deck archetypes. Anyone have any other good ideas for the list?

1) Pick a life total below 40 at the start of a game, and win with that life total.
2) Win a game after being at less than 1 life.
3) Meld.
4) Win a game where no player has cards in their library.
5) Have three cards classified as "commanders" in play under your control.
6) In one turn, kill more than one opponent with commander damage from a single commander.
7) Fail to find a land from your library with more than 20 lands in play under your control.
8) Cast the same non-commander permanent five times in a game.
9) Having started the game with a non-MDFC creature as your commander, have your commander not be a creature.
10) Play five lands from your hand in a turn.
11) Lightning Bolt to win (or any similar player-targeting instant that deals 3 or less damage without storm or an X cost).
12) Cast a spell of every type in a single game (nonland card types are Creature, Artifact, Enchantment, Planeswalker, Battle, Instant, Sorcery, and despite what Atraxa says, Tribal).
13) Win a game with your commander in exile (the command zone is not exile).
14) Win a game after paying a command tax of 10.
15) Scry 10.
16) Target three unique spells on the same stack (they must have different names when being targeted).
17) Draw a game with at least one other player (conceding does not count as a draw).
18) After defeating a player with combat damage, defeat another player on that end step.
19) Have a creature with a combined power and toughness of 33 or more, without any +1/+1 counters on that creature.
20) Have 20 non-token creatures in play.
21) Shuffle your library on four consecutive turns (this includes your opponent's turns).
22) Have more cards in exile than in any other zone.

Personally I've done 2, 3, 7, 8, 20, and 22 (albeit not willingly).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have any specific suggestions, but that seems similar to what EDH League play does so you might find some more ideas looking into those.

(Atraxa isn't meant to be listing all the types, just some examples. Just... 8 of the 9 examples. You can in fact choose Tribal with it, and anything in the future.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 20, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

So I had a game recently where I "achievement unlocked" to win after being at less than 1 life, and after being bored for a couple days I came up with a list of EDH Achievements. I'm trying to hit the line where these are doable, but not without the right deck, but not not without the exact two cards that allow it. I'm also trying to spread the love across colors and deck archetypes. Anyone have any other good ideas for the list?

1) Pick a life total below 40 at the start of a game, and win with that life total.
2) Win a game after being at less than 1 life.
3) Meld.
4) Win a game where no player has cards in their library.
5) Have three cards classified as "commanders" in play under your control.
6) In one turn, kill more than one opponent with commander damage from a single commander.
7) Fail to find a land from your library with more than 20 lands in play under your control.
8) Cast the same non-commander permanent five times in a game.
9) Having started the game with a non-MDFC creature as your commander, have your commander not be a creature.
10) Play five lands from your hand in a turn.
11) Lightning Bolt to win (or any similar player-targeting instant that deals 3 or less damage without storm or an X cost).
12) Cast a spell of every type in a single game (nonland card types are Creature, Artifact, Enchantment, Planeswalker, Battle, Instant, Sorcery, and despite what Atraxa says, Tribal).
13) Win a game with your commander in exile (the command zone is not exile).
14) Win a game after paying a command tax of 10.
15) Scry 10.
16) Target three unique spells on the same stack (they must have different names when being targeted).
17) Draw a game with at least one other player (conceding does not count as a draw).
18) After defeating a player with combat damage, defeat another player on that end step.
19) Have a creature with a combined power and toughness of 33 or more, without any +1/+1 counters on that creature.
20) Have 20 non-token creatures in play.
21) Shuffle your library on four consecutive turns (this includes your opponent's turns).
22) Have more cards in exile than in any other zone.

Personally I've done 2, 3, 7, 8, 20, and 22 (albeit not willingly).

The place I play at has the following:

-First Blood
-Attack every opponent in the same combat phase
-Cause an opponent to lose 10 life in one turn
-Play the last card in your hand.
-Play the fourth spell in a turn <----- this one is fun to snipe
-Have five or more creatures enter the battlefield under your control in the same turn
-Have the five non-token creatures of the same creature type on the battlefield
-Play three different types of spells in a single turn
-Have a devotion of 10
-Counter a spell with CMC 6 or destroy/exile a permanent with CMC6
-Return a permanent from your graveyard to play or cast an instant/sorcery from your graveyard
-Destroy a land that has a non-mana ability
-Destroy a permanent that can generate 2 or more mana
-Play a spell or activate an ability that causes an opponent to gain life or draw cards
-Have eight or more cards in your hand at the start of your turn
-Equip or Enchant a creature such that they have three or more keywords
-Cast your Commander four or more times from the Command Zone
-Have four or more different card types on the battlefield at once
-Win the Game

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
#4 could be easily achieved by hitting Thassa’s Oracle + Demonic Consultation. This list is great. How did you win a game at less than 1 life? I’ve heard of this happening before but don’t recall how it’s possible.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Usually one of the many different lich effects, which will still cause you to go below 0 life, but you don't lose the game because of it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kung fu jive posted:

#4 could be easily achieved by hitting Thassa’s Oracle + Demonic Consultation. This list is great. How did you win a game at less than 1 life? I’ve heard of this happening before but don’t recall how it’s possible.

Angels grace + ad naus

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A fun one is "be at more than 120 health without an infinite"

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

kung fu jive posted:

pseudanonymous posted:

Angels grace + ad naus

Oh, it's way dumber than that. I only play mono-white (16 active decks, 8 more cooking), it was my my Evra, Halcyon Witness list (https://www.archidekt.com/decks/5265236/the_null_moon_experience). In this case the card was Restricted List all-star Soul Echo, which kept me alive at -13 life until my upkeep when I swapped my life with Evra's power (-13/4 is a great statline!) before immediately sacrificing her to a Sorin, Solemn Visitor emblem. I went on to stall my last opponent's Avenger of Zendicar + friends for two more turns with various "instead of going to 0 life, you stay at 1" cards until I stuck an Enduring Angel ("any flying or reach? Too bad!), Mother of Runes, and Axis of Mortality. On my upkeep I swapped my 2 life for the opponent's 20+, and with the trigger on the stack played Abeyance to force out his removal before I needed to sacrifice Mother of Runes to the drat emblem.

It's the best game I've played in months.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Batterypowered7 posted:

The place I play at has the following:

-First Blood
-Attack every opponent in the same combat phase
-Cause an opponent to lose 10 life in one turn
-Play the last card in your hand.
-Play the fourth spell in a turn <----- this one is fun to snipe
-Have five or more creatures enter the battlefield under your control in the same turn
-Have the five non-token creatures of the same creature type on the battlefield
-Play three different types of spells in a single turn
-Have a devotion of 10
-Counter a spell with CMC 6 or destroy/exile a permanent with CMC6
-Return a permanent from your graveyard to play or cast an instant/sorcery from your graveyard
-Destroy a land that has a non-mana ability
-Destroy a permanent that can generate 2 or more mana
-Play a spell or activate an ability that causes an opponent to gain life or draw cards
-Have eight or more cards in your hand at the start of your turn
-Equip or Enchant a creature such that they have three or more keywords
-Cast your Commander four or more times from the Command Zone
-Have four or more different card types on the battlefield at once
-Win the Game

I've come really close to doing all of these in the same game. The only two that never come up for me are the 8+ cards in hand (discarding to hand size is a good problem to have and I hate wasting a utility land slot on Reliquary Tower) and casting a commander four times (I generally don't have my deck so focused on the commander that I'd ever pay eight extra mana for it). It's a fun list for one specific match, not so much for a player's career.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

I've come really close to doing all of these in the same game. The only two that never come up for me are the 8+ cards in hand (discarding to hand size is a good problem to have and I hate wasting a utility land slot on Reliquary Tower) and casting a commander four times (I generally don't have my deck so focused on the commander that I'd ever pay eight extra mana for it). It's a fun list for one specific match, not so much for a player's career.

Each achievement is worth a point (winning is worth two), and the store keeps track of the points, which translate to a dollar in store credit for every two points. A few people build decks to farm points rather than win.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
This is my favorite way to play commander. Current and previous home towns had stores that ran similar.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Each achievement is worth a point (winning is worth two), and the store keeps track of the points, which translate to a dollar in store credit for every two points. A few people build decks to farm points rather than win.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

Oh, it's way dumber than that. I only play mono-white (16 active decks, 8 more cooking),

I'm sorry what

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

I only play mono-white (16 active decks, 8 more cooking)

Charles/Mono White Guy/Ilvaldi has a forums account?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm sorry what

a) It helps keep the budget down. I'm a true highlander, I only own one copy of each card. Since I have the staples down I can pump out a new deck for $40 or less pretty consistently. Even if some white staples cost a bit more than I'd like, I save enough on lands that my average deck budget still hovers around $200.
b) I enjoy deckbuilding restrictions, mono-color is a simple restriction that's easy to self-enforce.
c) White specifically is an interesting mono-color because of how long WOTC had no loving clue what to do with it - it's rarely the best color at doing anything, but it's often the second best and there aren't that many things it outright can't do. The only common deck archetype I don't think mono-white can do is burn, everything else is on the table.
d) White's also a good choice because if all else fails you're at minimum guaranteed to have a solid removal/interaction package. There won't be a game where you don't have some impact, no matter how bad the jank is. It's also nice to have enough removal choices that I can pick based on flavor, instead of needing to lock Chaos Warp into every loving deck until the end of time.
e) White works well with colorless - debatably the best on average, even if it doesn't have the spikiest synergy cards. Good equipment tutors and synergy, plus a lot of artifact recursion. It's not terribly hard to secretly be playing dual-color W/CL even if you aren't ramping the eldrazi or abusing Goblin Engineer.
f) Once I started diving in, I kept finding more and more weird poo poo to explore (again, no loving clue what to do with the color). People have this misinterpretation that white only had Path, Swords, and a bunch of poo poo cards until five years ago - white's actually had a lot of amazing cards since forever, what it actually lacked was an engine to consistently draw your stuff. That problem is largely fixed now, so I was free to work out decks like landfall, reanimator, anthem double-strike tribal, planeswalkers, and vehicles along with the more common things.
g) While white kinda has unfun tribes, it does have some very fun themes that are strong and consistent in the color. I have a couple purely thematic decks based on card name flavor, including "I'm a D&D cleric", "I'm a D&D paladin", and "Eowyn is a loving Lady and oops this deck is actually just Bretonnia".
h) Once I got far enough to entertain the thought of getting the full 32 cycle in mono-white I figured I might as well try. That's why I have so many pending decks. Unfortunately I don't think I can get there... I've used pretty much every commander I thought was interesting, plus all the mechanics, plus most of the fun themed decks. I can maybe push another 2-3 out (I'm still sitting on angels, for instance, because it's such a boring-rear end tribe) but 8 seems out of the question. I'm pretty content with rotating through two decks a month right now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I caved in and pre-ordered two of the Fallout decks.

I have problems.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have problems.

The Fallout decks? Have any cards even been spoiled?

E:

https://www.pcgamer.com/dogmeat-is-coming-to-magic-the-gathering-in-fallout-themed-commander-decks-launching-next-year

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 21, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

a) It helps keep the budget down. I'm a true highlander, I only own one copy of each card. Since I have the staples down I can pump out a new deck for $40 or less pretty consistently. Even if some white staples cost a bit more than I'd like, I save enough on lands that my average deck budget still hovers around $200.
b) I enjoy deckbuilding restrictions, mono-color is a simple restriction that's easy to self-enforce.
c) White specifically is an interesting mono-color because of how long WOTC had no loving clue what to do with it - it's rarely the best color at doing anything, but it's often the second best and there aren't that many things it outright can't do. The only common deck archetype I don't think mono-white can do is burn, everything else is on the table.
d) White's also a good choice because if all else fails you're at minimum guaranteed to have a solid removal/interaction package. There won't be a game where you don't have some impact, no matter how bad the jank is. It's also nice to have enough removal choices that I can pick based on flavor, instead of needing to lock Chaos Warp into every loving deck until the end of time.
e) White works well with colorless - debatably the best on average, even if it doesn't have the spikiest synergy cards. Good equipment tutors and synergy, plus a lot of artifact recursion. It's not terribly hard to secretly be playing dual-color W/CL even if you aren't ramping the eldrazi or abusing Goblin Engineer.
f) Once I started diving in, I kept finding more and more weird poo poo to explore (again, no loving clue what to do with the color). People have this misinterpretation that white only had Path, Swords, and a bunch of poo poo cards until five years ago - white's actually had a lot of amazing cards since forever, what it actually lacked was an engine to consistently draw your stuff. That problem is largely fixed now, so I was free to work out decks like landfall, reanimator, anthem double-strike tribal, planeswalkers, and vehicles along with the more common things.
g) While white kinda has unfun tribes, it does have some very fun themes that are strong and consistent in the color. I have a couple purely thematic decks based on card name flavor, including "I'm a D&D cleric", "I'm a D&D paladin", and "Eowyn is a loving Lady and oops this deck is actually just Bretonnia".
h) Once I got far enough to entertain the thought of getting the full 32 cycle in mono-white I figured I might as well try. That's why I have so many pending decks. Unfortunately I don't think I can get there... I've used pretty much every commander I thought was interesting, plus all the mechanics, plus most of the fun themed decks. I can maybe push another 2-3 out (I'm still sitting on angels, for instance, because it's such a boring-rear end tribe) but 8 seems out of the question. I'm pretty content with rotating through two decks a month right now.

tight. idk what a 32 cycle is but i believe in you :bubblewoop:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have problems.

I'm unironically considering preordering all of them. They're like $160 on Amazon right now. I spent well over that preordering the Doctor Who stuff (which went up and back down and is roughly holding at the price I preordered it for).

LotR and Doctor Who made me a believer in this UB stuff. Some of the neatest ideas in a long time have been from these sets, and who knows how some of this poo poo will get reprinted in the future.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/731717490314461184/maros-teaser-for-the-lost-caverns-of-ixalan

“When there are 1,000 or more time counters on CARDNAME, sacrifice it and each opponent loses 1,000 life.”

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 21, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Johnny Truant posted:

tight. idk what a 32 cycle is but i believe in you :bubblewoop:

There are 32 total color combinations including colorless and the mono-colors. Some people have a goal to make one deck of each.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Gunna be debuting my Commander decks tomorrow at a Real Place(tm)!

Here's my IRL Sliver's EDH deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/km_wy3yRCESG78o05cZ09Q

My IRL Kaalia deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/AsU3-oTcWUeG4pPaZwrIPw

Suggestions welcome. I think the land distribution (for Kaalia) is probably all right, maybe too cautious about getting white mana.

My sliver deck seems to have more red mana and green mana by a small margin with black trailing behind at 41% of all mana sources? Is this fine?

I just learned also that apparently if you double sleeve your EDH deck it won't fit in the box. :mad:

(I had two boxes, one is fortunately bigger than the other and fits the double sleeved deck, I only went ahead and double sleeved my most valuable cards for the other deck, I can't tell much of a difference so I don't think this cheating?)

My Kaalia deck I have two Plan A's: Kaalia and Swing or Reanimation, with a little bit of ramp in there to hard cast Dragons or the more expensive reanimation spells. Not sure if I have too much removal and discard and draw spells and if I should have more dragons?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Framboise posted:

I'm unironically considering preordering all of them. They're like $160 on Amazon right now. I spent well over that preordering the Doctor Who stuff (which went up and back down and is roughly holding at the price I preordered it for).

LotR and Doctor Who made me a believer in this UB stuff. Some of the neatest ideas in a long time have been from these sets, and who knows how some of this poo poo will get reprinted in the future.

I was tempted, but decided to only get the two I wNted most and then get some singles from the other two.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
"I'm still sitting on angels, for instance, because it's such a boring-rear end tribe"

Try a religion themed deck with Preacher and Witch Hunter, etc.. . You can then have some angels, but it won't be an "Angel Deck".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want to make an EDH Angel deck so I can make Charlie's Angels jokes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

There are 32 total color combinations including colorless and the mono-colors. Some people have a goal to make one deck of each.

ooh okay yeah I've only heard of that as the colour challenge which... didn't really work for you lol

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want to make an EDH Angel deck so I can make Charlie's Angels jokes.

I fuckin haaaaaaate Giada

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/vLyolV6WAk-lh4iMIu9DZg

looking for advice on how to trim this bastard down.

Foil marked cards are ones i do not own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You have probably about 5-6 too many lands, and some clunkers that can probably get cut

From an immediate look I'd cut Mirari's wake, 1 of each of the basics and maybe a second mountain, and skyshroud claim. replace ash barrens with a better land.

Reflections of littarja and kindred discovery are also potential cuts/replacements. They're 5 mana do-nothings until you start playing creatures, and taking a turn off that late in the game is usually a big mistake. If you can, look to try to replace your sorcery ramp with artifact ramp like arcane signet, talismans and moxes. the issue with spell/land ramp is that it locks you into needing green mana early on, even if it makes your mana base more resilient to hate.

I don't love despark either. There are better 2 mana kill spells that are less conditional and are easier to cast, and unless your local meta is filled with reanimation decks that really need an expensive answer exiled over killed, despark is not really worth running.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 21, 2023