Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I got the 8bitdo Ultimate to replace my ancient wired 360 controller and it has been fantastic, no regrets. Have had it for almost a year now. I imagine that the Pro 2 will well built, but I wanted hall effect sensors so didn't even consider it.

The 8bitdo pro 2 has already lasted longer than any of the first-party controllers I've owned (never mind the back paddles being a gamechanger) so I have to imagine that the Ultimate will outlast our grandchildren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I got an Ultimate a couple weeks ago to replace my Xbox One controller and I’m really loving it as well, though the labels on the AXYB buttons are different from Xbox’s configuration by default and I haven’t yet taken the time to figure out how to switch them around.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Do people type them out normally as AXYB? I've always been like ABXY

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have opinions on the 8bitdo Pro 2 as a replacement for an XBOX 360 controller? I see they also make one with the same layout as an XBOX controller but its not easily available in my country.

Or alternatively, any other controller that has paddles on the underside?

I do have an 8BitDo Pro 2 and I love it! But it's in the Playstation controller form factor rather than Xbox. If you want something closer to XBox, probably the Ultimate is the way to go I think? But I haven't gotten around to getting it yet because...my Pro 2 is still going very strong.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
careful when buying the Ultimate controller because there's quite a few models, all with different pricing and feature sets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Artelier posted:

Do people type them out normally as AXYB? I've always been like ABXY

I do have an 8BitDo Pro 2 and I love it! But it's in the Playstation controller form factor rather than Xbox. If you want something closer to XBox, probably the Ultimate is the way to go I think? But I haven't gotten around to getting it yet because...my Pro 2 is still going very strong.

I kinda wish I got a Pro 2 instead of a non-BT Ultimate, because it would let me take screenshots in Steam (via Switch Pro controller emulation). But I bought it cause it was less than half of what a BT Ultimate usually goes for, and I haven't seen big discounts for the Pro 2 recently. Pro 2 also has a bigger battery and gyro controls (same as the BT Ultimate). Doesn't come with a dock, though.

I think the non-BT could theoretically let you map a screenshot button through it's Direct Input mode too, but the software isn't set up for it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, sounds good!

The ultimate is only available from sketchy online retailers in my country unfortunately - don't want to deal with them precisely because I bought a controller and couldn't get a refund when it broke after two months. I would if I could, especially after this was mentioned:

KakerMix posted:

hall effect sensors

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Do these sensors have the Monty Hall problem?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If money wasn't an object, I'd get a Dualsense Edge ($200!!!). If I understand correctly, all of it's extra buttons are now individually mappable with Steam. Together with the touchpad, that's like a hundred extra inputs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh neat, it has extra buttons below the joysticks? I can get that here.

Honestly I don't really care about price so long as it has good build quality, some extra buttons and does not break. My 360 controller is still kicking after 15 years but the left joystick has some weird wobble input and the d-pad is bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It doesn't have hall effect sticks, but since in this hypothetical scenario money grows on trees, drift isn't a problem because you can buy replacement sticks that don't require controller disassembly

$20

also apparently the battery life sucks

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

disposablewords posted:

I can't speak to more than just my experience, but playing GE1 and 2 on PC a few years ago had no technical issues. Also, buying GE2 on Steam comes with GE1 automatically, they're a package deal.

As for which to play, I think I liked GE1 a bit more than 2 overall, but on mostly subjective factors. Like 2's cast felt like it leaned into a lot of them being "quirky" noticeably harder than 1 did, and I liked 1's more somber mood about the world as a result. The gameplay isn't super different between them, especially since they're both remakes on the same engine so a lot of QOL stuff got applied to both, but 2 does have some of its own extra features even so just because they're things that were introduced later in the storyline.

On one hand you're correct the GE1 plot tends a bit darker and moodier and since it's technically a later game in terms of release date it has some QoL features that you REALLY feel the lack of when moving to 2. On the other hand, in GE2 you eventually unlock a super mode that requires you to accomplish moderately difficult requirements during a fight (that you pick for yourself), has a lot of buildup and when it finally starts up it plays this insanely cheesy song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFkUPAbpqE4

So I still gotta give it up for GE2 in the end. Also I can't believe no one mentioned all three GE games have this absolutely insane bullet customization feature that lets you make your own crazy anime shot patterns. They will mostly suck worse than just shooting a normal bullet unless you follow a guide, but they can be SO FANCY.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have opinions on the 8bitdo Pro 2 as a replacement for an XBOX 360 controller? I see they also make one with the same layout as an XBOX controller but its not easily available in my country.

Or alternatively, any other controller that has paddles on the underside?
I love the Pro 2, it's great. You might want to consider the 8bitdo Ultimate though, it supposedly has completely drift-free Hall effect sticks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly one of my favourite roguelites. Just impressive gunfeel for a 2D game and you feel like an absolute badass when beating the bigger (or more dickish) ships.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Commander Keene posted:

I love the Pro 2, it's great. You might want to consider the 8bitdo Ultimate though, it supposedly has completely drift-free Hall effect sticks.

Pay attention that there's two Ultimate models: one 2.4g with Xbox button layout and another called 2.4g + Bluetooth with Switch button layout. Only the latter has Hall sticks from the product description, and this one also costs about 20 USD/EUR more.

And this more expensive model apparently has no wired mode, which the Xbox cheaper model has. That means when the battery goes it becomes a paper weight, which is pretty lovely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

On that note, the Pro 2 has an easily removable battery, which the ultimates don’t.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles posted:

On that note, the Pro 2 has an easily removable battery, which the ultimates don’t.
Yeah, IIRC the Pro 2 can even use AA batteries in a pinch.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I don't think hall effect sticks are a very big deal

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy gently caress why is it so goddamn complicated for.

I just bought a Lime Green Xbox controller and plug it in with usb-c.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

Pay attention that there's two Ultimate models: one 2.4g with Xbox button layout and another called 2.4g + Bluetooth with Switch button layout. Only the latter has Hall sticks from the product description, and this one also costs about 20 USD/EUR more.

And this more expensive model apparently has no wired mode, which the Xbox cheaper model has. That means when the battery goes it becomes a paper weight, which is pretty lovely.

do you mean these two?
https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8bitdo-ultimate-wireless-2-4g-gaming-controller-with-charging-dock-for-pc-windows-10-11-steam-deck-android
https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/8b...0-11-steam-deck

because both have usb-c charging

their product naming convention and minor differences are a nightmare

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

_____________________|/
https://i.imgur.com/aLNshyz.mp4

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/blacktabbygames/status/1715337094510305769

Oh well.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

haldolium posted:

do you mean these two?

because both have usb-c charging

Yeah, I did. Going by their Amazon page, the Switch one (Bluetooth + 2.4g) didn't mention anything about also working wired, but their official site actually does, so I added additional confusion to something that's already confusing. Sorry.

So, both of them work wired if needed. Here's the two options in a tl;dr form:

If you want Xbox layout and don't mind missing out on the Hall Effect sticks, go with the cheaper option (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g). About 50 USD / EUR.

If you prefer the Switch layout, also need Bluetooth, and really would prefer to have longer lasting sticks, go with the more expensive model (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g + Bluetooth). About 70 USD / EUR.

Prices obviously vary depending on where you'll buy them.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 20, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

They're overly-proselytized about but since Sony and Microsoft don't seem interested in the "stop being cheap and/or greedy fuckers" option it's at least a reasonable answer.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

like, if you're replacing your wired 360 pad after 20 years, maybe stick drift isn't the menace you think it is?

nintendo has really traumatized some of you

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

They're overly proselytized because every first party controller sucks in regards to how long it will last now. I can still use my Dreamcast controllers with hall effect sticks and PS2 controllers just fine but my switch joycons drift, one of my ps4 controllers drifts, my first xbone controller had the bumper button on the right just collapse when I wasn't even using it. It's nice to have an option that at least fixes the stick drift issue, and 8bitdo stuff tends to be rock solid quality wise and if it's not their support has been fantastic IME. Even the super expensive PS5 controller I think requires you to spend an extra 40 bux or whatever to even get hall effect sticks or you'll eventually deal with drift on that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

like, if you're replacing your wired 360 pad after 20 years, maybe stick drift isn't the menace you think it is?

My new-style Xbone controller developed stick drift within a year of light use. It's an actual problem.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been using an old wired xbox 360 controller for bunch of years and I've had zero problems with it ever

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've seen people say like "I'm on my 5th DualShock and 3rd Xbox Elite in two years because of stick drift" and I've literally never experienced stick drift a single time across 10-12 controllers. Is it just good luck or some difference in how people are using it? Environmental factors? Are sticks objectively more cheaply made than they used to be? On the other hand, the stick-click on one of my Switch joycons is busted and that's just as bad since the joycon is useless for many games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

I've seen people say like "I'm on my 5th DualShock and 3rd Xbox Elite in two years because of stick drift" and I've literally never experienced stick drift a single time across 10-12 controllers. Is it just good luck or some difference in how people are using it? Environmental factors? Are sticks objectively more cheaply made than they used to be? On the other hand, the stick-click on one of my Switch joycons is busted and that's probably worse.

I got it on my newest Xbone controller after playing through Control once and then shelving it. If it helps, imagine that my playstyle involves hucking the controller repeatedly at a brick wall, I guess.

I got it on a new Switch controller within a year of light use (I don't play console games much). At least the sticks are easy to replace on Switch controllers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like I think the easiest explanation is that analog sticks are cheaply made and cheaply sourced and if you don't experience drift you're just lucky and people aren't lying about how they use their controllers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Nobody said you were lying, chill out. I'm curious about what causes it, because clearly it's not a universal problem, and people who experience drift often have stories about having many controllers with drift. I'm not saying you're abusing the controller, I was thinking more of things like "it sits in a particularly humid or dry place" or things like that.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Volte posted:

I've seen people say like "I'm on my 5th DualShock and 3rd Xbox Elite in two years because of stick drift" and I've literally never experienced stick drift a single time across 10-12 controllers. Is it just good luck or some difference in how people are using it? Environmental factors? Are sticks objectively more cheaply made than they used to be? On the other hand, the stick-click on one of my Switch joycons is busted and that's just as bad since the joycon is useless for many games.

Just pure luck, I imagine. I've also never lost a controller to stick drift, but my XBox controllers have instead all eventually started registering multiple button presses, which could be a sign that I hammer on them too hard maybe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It can be hard to notice when you're getting stick drift in certain games because they'll automatically set a big dead zone for sticks. I think the explanation I saw for Switch sticks involved a soft material breaking down inside the mechanism and shoving debris everywhere, which is why spraying electronics cleaner into the stick can sometimes alleviate the problem temporarily.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Honestly, I still have my original wired X360 controller on the desk and use it regularly when I don't want to go look up compatibility stuff/charge controllers/whatnot. poo poo works and seems to be indestructible even though it's older than 15 years by now.

Stick drift does seem to be an issue in modern controllers, though. My first Switch developed it shortly after I got it. And I keep hearing even the super elite bullshit Microsoft and Sony are doing at 200+ USD/EUR has that issue and I'm baffled. Extremely baffled. Those are not cheap toys!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Honestly, I still have my original wired X360 controller on the desk and use it regularly when I don't want to go look up compatibility stuff/charge controllers/whatnot. poo poo works and seems to be indestructible even though it's older than 15 years by now.

Stick drift does seem to be an issue in modern controllers, though. My first Switch developed it shortly after I got it. And I keep hearing even the super elite bullshit Microsoft and Sony are doing at 200+ USD/EUR has that issue and I'm baffled. Extremely baffled. Those are not cheap toys!

Sony's response with their super elite $200 controller was to recognize that stick drift will happen and give you a plug-and-play option to swap sticks lol

This is in lieu of just sourcing Hall effect sticks in the first place for pennies more

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought an 8bit do pro and its a good feeling controller but the analogue stick kind of disintegrated in half and I had to glue it back together so not sure I could earnestly recommend

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My original wired 360 controller is still going strong but unfortunately the dpad is as it was originally designed: unusable garbage. I got an Xbox Elite 2 for Christmas last year and it hasn't let me down so far, and I have a couple of regular XSX ones in backup just in case.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I think my current Microsoft pad has lasted for nearly 5 years, the two before this started drifting in 2 or so, same for Steam controller. Before that I used Chinese knock-offs and those generally lasted for 2-4 years.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
My xbox elite 2 got a little bit of stick drift and the RB button only working about half the time, both were fixed by opening it up and spraying some electrical contact cleaner in there. I did manage to make the rubbery grip look tatty and broke one of the little clips getting the cover off though, definitely worth it though if you have one with issues because the drat thing isn't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Xbox Elite 1/2 controllers are notorious for getting stick drift, in comparison you rarely hear about stick drift in normal Xbone controllers.