Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tsitsikovas posted:

Serious question, wrt to your other post about pushing american unions towards internationalism - does the fed gov still have the power to invoke taft-hartley to stop unions from taking positions that the US doesnt like? Does the NLRB have the power to injunct a union if they do take a stand, or better yet take concrete action if say a local or a national goes all in on BDS?

asking basically if the battles on the ground are purely political or if there are more concrete blocks towards an international position, especially a position against stated US interests (ie supporting Palestine). I know some states have passed anti-bds laws, and the fed has tried but failed at it, as has NYS (in another post I said NYS passed laws but turns out they just kept trying to and it never got to cuomo's desk).

Afaik not really. But I'm not well versed in labor law. I think the feds are limited in their intervention to railways & "matters of national defense". It's just that, with the way our economy has been rearranged, the American worker has extremely limited leverage to meaningfully enact an internationalist demand.

I think that ILWU has refused to unload Israeli weapon shipments in the past w/o an injunction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Credit where credit is due, that was a solid S-tier SYQ.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tsitsikovas posted:

a precision laser guided syq. israel can only dream.

i prefer a good carpet-syq

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
u got syq'd

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Someone mentioned Clare Daly pages ago. I would also recommend Richard Boyd Barrett for bringing fire with his pro-Palestinian speeches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISs0AwztGQ

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

In Training posted:

I think that ILWU has refused to unload Israeli weapon shipments in the past w/o an injunction.

:nice:

also thanks for the response. Yeah the more I read too the more it seems like "govs are trying but for 1A and other reasons none of them hold serious water". Hope the rank and file win out.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It's a new day so I can be a crank.

Global financial crisis.

BRICS formed in 2010.

'strip mall' churches begin popping up.

My family gets religion and become nazis.

Trump was a holding action by Russia. That's why they were so pissed Hilary didn't get elected.

This might be so obvious to everyone, but it's more than 'lol lmao' now, I get to experience it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Scarabrae posted:

Ok if we had to napkin math what % of jewish identifying people are anti-genocide and ending the occupation of Palestine?

Of the Jewish side of my family, about 70% of those under the age of 40 are pro Palestine.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

i say swears online posted:

i prefer a good carpet-syq

best youre gonna get is syq blamed on a cspam post disintegrating in the air.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

In Training posted:

same here it means American workers could meaningfully disrupt war production and turn this public sentiment into concrete action. As it is we are largely stuck trying to get a small handful of orgs to pull retirement funds out of Israeli investments. Politically there is 0 opportunity for any anti-imperial effort. It's rough

Oh so it's cool and good when workers do bespoke disruption of war production but when neoliberal managers successfully make it so wars can't be fought due to lack of material it's not cool?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Final prep underway to open Rafah for aid trucks, bulldozers were clearing the Palestinian side

https://www.vetogate.com/5000545

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

sullat posted:

Oh so it's cool and good when workers do bespoke disruption of war production but when neoliberal managers successfully make it so wars can't be fought due to lack of material it's not cool?

the virgin trade unionist vs the chad neoliberal manager

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I tried to type death to Israel and it auto corrected death to Islam

The samsonites are tiiiiiiiiiiiiiired

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zodium posted:

lol

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao the RPG round hanging from the bottom

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the virgin neoliberal manager vs the chad MAGA guy who single handedly dismantled the US congress

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that’s why chuds are ftw

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is a bit more of a hot take but the whole "Hamas was Bibi's creation" is sort of a rhetorical trick to try and get around the calls for "do you condemn Hamas? do you condemn Hamas???" that pro-Israel types yell at you whenever you try to talk about these things - instead of equivocating, or instead of saying "no, I do not condemn Hamas" (or the more inflammatory "Hamas ftw"), you simply turn the tables on the other party by whipping out that Israel is only getting what it asked for when it deliberately cultivated the growth of this group that's now attacking it

but like, and this is my personal opinion, even if it wasn't - even if Hamas was an entirely "organic" group that sprang out of the particular material conditions of Gaza and Palestine, they'd still be worthy of our support, because they're the ones fighting for Palestinian liberation

If you're going that route then you should arm yourself with the video where bibi says they sabotaged the Oslo accords and made them unworkable while you're at it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

im a chud since im a union

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

that’s why chuds are ftw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

that’s why chuds are ftw

To paraphrase Mohammed Ali, no Chud ever called me a BIPOC.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Zodium posted:

:shillary:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
In North Korea, they only get one choice, I'm told.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't have time to write this all up at the moment, but there's a thread here that connects the Anglican hospital that was bombed to the state of the American Empire.

Britain built up a huge global Anglican Church under the Victorians, trying to compete with Catholicism and also create a class of civil servants, administrators, soldiers etc. that were Anglicized. Whatever you think about the Brits, Christianity has an appeal, and the Anglican Church was successful in many parts of the world, including Mandatory Palestine.

When the Brits quit Empire, they basically cut all of these people loose. This is kind of a through line for Britain, because they were really big on taking their toys and going home. Another thing is, where Catholicism is slowly coming to terms with being a global religion where most Catholics, the ones who take it most seriously, the places where the Church is growing, are outside of Europe, the Brits absolutely cannot deal with this. It's the Church of bloody England innit? So they refuse to give leadership of the Anglican Church to the people who are its lifeblood.

Desmond Tutu was the closest to the ideal of an Anglican bishop in a hundred years or more, but the Brits really don't care. Well, this was an Anglican hospital that was bombed. Has the King of England, who is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England made any statement about this? What is it supposed to mean to be Anglican? What are all of these institutions for?

I bring that up, because I think we're starting to see this with American institutions too. Like Gradenko said, capitalism trumps nationalism, and as the Empire recedes, a lot of things America has spent effort pretending matter are going to be cut loose too.

Anyway, there's an interesting book about how the future of the Anglican Church, paradoxically, will probably be outside of England:

The Anglican Church in Burma: From Colonial Past to Global Future

Sometimes presumed to be a mere relic of British colonialism, the Anglican Church in Burma (Myanmar) has its own complex identity, intricately interwoven with beliefs and traditions that predate the arrival of Christianity. In this essential volume, Edward Jarvis succinctly reconstructs this history and demonstrates how Burma’s unique voice adds vital context to the study of Anglicanism’s predicament and the future of worldwide Christianity.

Over the past two hundred years, the Anglican Church in Burma has seen empires rise and fall. Anglican Christians survived the brutal Japanese occupation, experienced rampant poverty and environmental disaster, and began a tortuous and frustrating quest for peace and freedom under a lawless dictatorship. Using a range of sources, including archival documents and the firsthand accounts of Anglicans from a variety of backgrounds, Jarvis tells the story of the church’s life beyond empire, exploring how Christians of non-Western heritage remade the church after a significant part of its liturgical documents and literature was destroyed in World War Two and how, more recently, the church has gained attention for its alignment with influential conservative and orthodox movements within Anglicanism.

Comprehensive and concise, this fascinating history will appeal to scholars and students of religious studies, World Christianity, church history, and the history of missions and theology as well as to clergy, seminarians, and those interested in the current crises and future direction of Anglicanism.

they're all just episcopalians now, op

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

im a chud since im a union

Hi a union. I’m FlapYoJacks. :v:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hi a union. I’m FlapYoJacks. :v:

shut up chud

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

shut up chud

Better than a shitlib.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thoguh posted:

lol she deleted it.

wow sad

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Better than a shitlib.

that loser never did answer any of the call-outs in the econ thread

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

captainbananas posted:

they're all just episcopalians now, op

We don't have those in Canada, but those are the American Anglicans who were mad about King George III, right?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

that loser never did answer any of the call-outs in the econ thread

Who? PFC? Or TWT?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

no the dipshit that was calling union members chuds and claiming that genocide joe personally expedited his green card

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Germany is threatening to deport Hamas supporters. They must be terrified of the AfD.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PEE SOAKER

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So much for the tolerant wet

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Episcopalians : Catholics :: Sorcerers : Wizards

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So much for the tolerant west

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

HallelujahLee posted:

I actually havent heard much from unions here in support of palestine

to be clear i havent heard much of anything at all about the conflict from unions

the only union i've heard about was the starbucks union and they're getting sued into oblivion over it

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Death By The Blues posted:

Germany is threatening to deport Hamas supporters. They must be terrified of the AfD.

i'm beginning to think that the west is bad

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

no the dipshit that was calling union members chuds and claiming that genocide joe personally expedited his green card

oh yeah lmfao. That dude ran the gently caress away real quick when everyone called him out and presented him with graphs and charts. Shitlibs don’t like facts being presented to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Gabagool posted:

the only union i've heard about was the starbucks union and they're getting sued into oblivion over it

yeah i read about that one another lovely tactic by these turds to go after unions