Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Been playing the Songs Of Silence demo & really liking it, anything similar?

Steam posted:

Songs of Silence is a story-rich strategy game, set in two distinct fantasy worlds threatened by the all-devouring Silence. The game features a unique mix of turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Been playing the Songs Of Silence demo & really liking it, anything similar?

Which parts of it did you like specifically? There are a ton of games in that genre and it's hard to give informed recommendations without knowing what you specifically liked about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

XCOM-likes (turn-based tactics) without hit chance RNG. Any suggestions for games like that?

I already played a bunch of W40k Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters and W40k Mechanicus.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for some RPGs of these 2 types:

1. Something with actually different races: none of the usual "elf = skinny human with pointy ears, +int/magic, -toughness, no other differences" poo poo. I'm talking totally different inventory slots because you're an octopus and not a human, races that have entire mechanics fundamentally changed just because of their race, etc. The wilder the differences, the better. Setting pretty much irrelevant, as long as said races are playable characters.

2. Something with highly developed "skill development through grinding" mechanics, i.e. skills as fundamental game mechanics, improved through use, reaching some skill tier unlocks another/upgraded skill you can train, possibly unlock new skills like achievements through doing specific things. If anyone's into light novels poo poo, early/dungeon parts of Spider is pretty much what I want.

These are 2 separate requests. If they can be combined, even better, but it's by no means mandatory.

Both are for single-player only (might accept playing an MMORPG solo as a last resort, as long as I don't have to interact with organic humans in any way).
I'm also perfectly OK with old roguelike crap like barebones ASCII graphics or convoluted janky interface.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 15, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pierzak posted:

1. Something with actually different races: none of the usual "elf = skinny human with pointy ears, +int/magic, -toughness, no other differences" poo poo. I'm talking totally different inventory slots because you're an octopus and not a human, races that have entire mechanics fundamentally changed just because of their race, etc. The wilder the differences, the better. Setting pretty much irrelevant, as long as said races are playable characters.

2. Something with highly developed "skill development through grinding" mechanics, i.e. skills as fundamental game mechanics, improved through use, reaching some skill tier unlocks another/upgraded skill you can train, possibly unlock new skills like achievements through doing specific things. If anyone's into light novels poo poo, early/dungeon parts of Spider is pretty much what I want.

These are 2 separate requests. If they can be combined, even better, but it's by no means mandatory.

Both are for single-player only (might accept playing an MMORPG solo as a last resort, as long as I don't have to interact with organic humans in any way).
I'm also perfectly OK with old roguelike crap like barebones ASCII graphics or convoluted janky interface.

I could suggest Caves of Qud for #1 if you play as a mutant. It's a very unique goon-made roguelike that is excellent. Races are mutated humans, camel people "Dromads", intelligent cave bears "Urshiib", intelligent plants, intelligent fungi, robots, etc. Mutations can dramatically change body plans and add or remove inventory slots. It doesn't have skill development through grinding, though. It has XP for leveling with skill points earned each level.

Elona is another roguelike with a diverse mix of races for #1 although there are a lot of fairly normal humans in it.

Kenshi is pretty good for #2, with every skill and attribute increased by doing. This is especially notable for the key attribute of toughness, which determines how much damage you take and how long you can stay conscious at your level of damage. This is only increased by taking damage, so you need to go get beat up to get tough.

The Elder Scrolls games obviously have #2 but you likely know that. Kingdom Come Deliverance also has #2 with perks unlocked as skills increase.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

More roguelikes:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a literal octopus race. Double edged sword - can't equip any items, except for 8!!! rings and you can grapple. Also has a cat, similarly gimped but stealthy. Lots of other non-standard races along with the usual fantasy fare.
The orcs in Tales of Maj Eyal can replace their arms with chainsaws and bazookas. Some other goofy DIY body mods as well.

Point 2 is a little harder, if you're looking for skills that are improved through use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup had skills improve with usage at one point, but they removed it because that system is always poo poo in every game and just incentivizes a bunch of unfun grind.

Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode has that. All of your skills improve only with use. So if you want to not drown, you better flair around in a water puddle for half an hour.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Kenshi is pretty good for #2, with every skill and attribute increased by doing. This is especially notable for the key attribute of toughness, which determines how much damage you take and how long you can stay conscious at your level of damage. This is only increased by taking damage, so you need to go get beat up to get tough.

Kenshi is also pretty good for #1 as you have the Skeleton and Hive Race which have rules that differentiate them from the other races. Plus they're more interesting/unique than your standard elves/dwarves/etc other fantasy races.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Plus you replace your severed limbs with robot parts.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Jack Trades posted:

XCOM-likes (turn-based tactics) without hit chance RNG. Any suggestions for games like that?

I already played a bunch of W40k Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters and W40k Mechanicus.
Marvel Midnight Suns has no to-hit RNG and was designed by Jack Solomon of the XCOM fame.

Pierzak posted:

If you are willing to fork over 40 dollars for a janky indie MMORPG made by a solo dev, Project Gorgon fulfills every part of your request and then some.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 15, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Urtuk The Desolation.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack Trades posted:

Into The Breach - it's kaiju monsters versus giant mechs, you protect the cities, you know what each of the monsters is guaranteed to do each turn and your job is to use your mechs each turn to appropriately kill, push, disable, or otherwise interact with them. It can be quite challenging on the harder difficulties but always 1000% fair, and there's a lot of variety in the mechs and abilities you get as you unlock them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Marvel Midnight Suns has no to-hit RNG and was designed by Jack Solomon of the XCOM fame.

The gameplay was pretty interesting, and I wish I could play some more of it but unfortunately Marvel quips make me want to stab forks into my ears.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

The gameplay was pretty interesting, and I wish I could play some more of it but unfortunately Marvel quips make me want to stab forks into my ears.

Well, THAT just happened....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Well, THAT just happened....

IIRC I uninstalled the game when Ironman killed a mute ghoul creature and went "No you're ugly!" as I felt myself taking critical cringe damage.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Phoenix Point sort of does this. The chance to hit is based on a spread cone for each weapon, and you manually aim shots. Cover is an actual physical barrier that you have to get around. So like sniper weapons have a very small cone and are very easy to land shots with precision, but an smg might have a wider cone due to spray pattern and recoil, so flanking is critical to be able to position the cone over more of the target.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

It's janky and definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but try Hard West? Ironically enough, the "luck" mechanic isn't random at all.

KNR
May 3, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Druidstone is pretty good and has little randomness. It's not really very XCOM like though. There's no dynamic campaign or random maps, each level is a handcrafted tactics puzzle.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for the RPG suggestions!
Sounds like Qud and Kenshi come strongly recommended for multiple reasons, so into the wishlist they go.
Turns out I deliberately ignored Qud because it's in permanent early access, should I assume it's feature-complete and just getting polished all the time?
Also, Elona and ToME might warrant another look.
DF adventure mode might be a wee bit too hardcore for me, (kinda like Unreal World which might be another option now that I think of it) but I'll note it down just in case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Qud is still under active development, and the final portion of the campaign is being worked on now. 1.0 is probably sometime in the next year? But it's super good and you should play it now instead of waiting.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ive always wanted to get into QUD but only have a laptop and it seems to need a full keyboard. Has that changed?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's perfectly playable on a Steam Deck, and it has key rebinding, so I imagine you could make it work on a laptop.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I recently found myself playing the Next Fest demo for Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realms of Ruin and quite enjoying myself playing the campaign. While the obvious answer would be to purchase the game since I liked it, I was curious if there was something older and cheaper I could try out first to see if it takes as I'm not that much of an RTS guy, only having played Starcraft and C&C Red Alert back in the day for their single-player campaigns and enjoying myself.

If it helps, the thing I most enjoyed about Realms of Ruin was that 1) it was a bit more unit-ability-focused with them being important and not as expendable, almost like a MOBA or RTWP tactics RPG, and 2) while it still had buildings and upgrades and management, it was much less of a focus being largely automated and limited in scope and 3) it was a cool story campaign with neat mission design. I guess I'm kind of looking for the less complex Chimera Squad XCOM spinoff, but in the RTS genre, if that analogy makes sense.

Bonus points would go to something sci-fi or even within the Warhammer genre. I'm not against the typical dungeons-n-dragons fantasy genre, so suggest if you think it's a good fit, but it'd be nice to have something different.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

I recently found myself playing the Next Fest demo for Warhammer Age of Sigmar Realms of Ruin and quite enjoying myself playing the campaign. While the obvious answer would be to purchase the game since I liked it, I was curious if there was something older and cheaper I could try out first to see if it takes as I'm not that much of an RTS guy, only having played Starcraft and C&C Red Alert back in the day for their single-player campaigns and enjoying myself.

If it helps, the thing I most enjoyed about Realms of Ruin was that 1) it was a bit more unit-ability-focused with them being important and not as expendable, almost like a MOBA or RTWP tactics RPG, and 2) while it still had buildings and upgrades and management, it was much less of a focus being largely automated and limited in scope and 3) it was a cool story campaign with neat mission design. I guess I'm kind of looking for the less complex Chimera Squad XCOM spinoff, but in the RTS genre, if that analogy makes sense.

Bonus points would go to something sci-fi or even within the Warhammer genre. I'm not against the typical dungeons-n-dragons fantasy genre, so suggest if you think it's a good fit, but it'd be nice to have something different.

Dawn of War II

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pierzak posted:

Turns out I deliberately ignored Qud because it's in permanent early access, should I assume it's feature-complete and just getting polished all the time?

Qud has been in active development for many years with updates usually every Friday. They are actually for real no bullshit almost done and plan to release their 1.0 next year. Last week was the update with their penultimate story section.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's perfectly playable on a Steam Deck, and it has key rebinding, so I imagine you could make it work on a laptop.

ty!!

turns out external numpads are much cheaper than i thought so i got one on amazon and am gonna plug it in and dive into Qud

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Looking for some sort of driving game, playable on PS5. Ideally it might not be as fast paced or hectic and there would be a lot of stuff to unlock/build towards or explore both on and off the road. Don't care about multiplayer either way (if its in the game, optional or not intrusive then sure). I'm basically looking for something chill to drive around and relax on my sofa.

The last driving game I played a lot was NFS:Hot Pursuit waaaaay back on PS3 I think so I have no idea what the genre is like now. Euro Truck Simulator sounds like my cup of tea but I think its only on PC.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Looking for some sort of driving game, playable on PS5.

Gran Turismo 7 can be a lot of fun and is amazing in VR, if you have the PSVR2.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I know its the biggest name but tbh even when I played it years ago I was put off by its hyper-realism, is it still like that? Also do you just race around tracks or is there more of an open-world element to it these days?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So you're looking for Forza Horizon. I'm not sure if a comparable game to that is on the PS5 unfortunately.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

kaesarsosei posted:

Looking for some sort of driving game, playable on PS5. Ideally it might not be as fast paced or hectic and there would be a lot of stuff to unlock/build towards or explore both on and off the road. Don't care about multiplayer either way (if its in the game, optional or not intrusive then sure). I'm basically looking for something chill to drive around and relax on my sofa.

The last driving game I played a lot was NFS:Hot Pursuit waaaaay back on PS3 I think so I have no idea what the genre is like now. Euro Truck Simulator sounds like my cup of tea but I think its only on PC.

Snowrunner is on PS5

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Yeah Forza Horizon is the answer here except for the PS5 part, apparently The Crew: Motorfest is decent and is in a similar vein but I haven't tried it quite yet.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
So can someone tell me why would I buy a PS5 exactly? Despite my AV, I'm not actually the Monopoly Man and PS5 games are ninety dollars up here in the Great White North.

that's a pretty hard sell for a toy.

If I were to buy a system it'd probably be the XBox because I already have Gamepass Ultimate, which is a decent deal. Plus the XBox has pretty good backwards compatibility.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

tango alpha delta posted:

So can someone tell me why would I buy a PS5 exactly? Despite my AV, I'm not actually the Monopoly Man and PS5 games are ninety dollars up here in the Great White North.

If I were to buy a system it'd probably be the XBox because I already have Gamepass Ultimate, which is a decent deal. Plus the XBox has pretty good backwards compatibility.

PS5 is more of a upgrade for PS4 owners and its great for that purpose. A lot of older gen titles benefit from better performance.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the UI of the PS5 more than the XBox series X, for what that's worth. There's a Sony-made VR set that might take less finagling to get working with the PS5 than VR sets for the Xbox if you're into the idea of buying another expensive toy for your expensive toy. Playstation has its own service similar to gamepass. The Dualshock 5 has a couple neat features that may be seldom used, but are still neat.

There's the exclusives, but that's been becoming less of a thing over time as the console wars cool down. I feel like the Playstation exclusives sound a lot neater than the Xbox's. But also since all Xbox games will also come out for PC, then why not shell out a little extra to get a gaming PC that will be overall more useful if you're already on the fence about getting a console?

I feel like I have better feelings about Sony overall and that going into the future it'd be handy to already be part of its ecosystem for things that come next, but that's very abstract.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

Nobody can actually justify a PS5. It has no games and the ones it does have are reprehensible misguided attempts at combining the worst excesses of gaming and Hollywood. It is a silly meme purchase, the Xbox and game pass are genuinely now great

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
most of the best games are cross platform anyway it doesnt matter what you buy

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm looking for a noncombat city/base builder with a dark, gothic, or occult aesthetic. Something that lets me build a necromantic fortress, an eldritch temple-city, or a vampire castle, but without having to constantly fight, whether personally (V Rising) or with my units (Warcraft 3 undead campaigns).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for a noncombat city/base builder with a dark, gothic, or occult aesthetic. Something that lets me build a necromantic fortress, an eldritch temple-city, or a vampire castle, but without having to constantly fight, whether personally (V Rising) or with my units (Warcraft 3 undead campaigns).

Against the Storm is p gothy but it does have some combat...don't know how much exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The classic Dungeon Keepers had a sandbox mode where combat was entirely optional, that might work? They're 90s games so getting them to run might be a pain.