Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Powell going first put the screws to everyone else. Now they know that she got a sweetheart deal and they are more likely looking at prison time unless they cough up something _really_ good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cimber posted:

Powell going first put the screws to everyone else. Now they know that she got a sweetheart deal and they are more likely looking at prison time unless they cough up something _really_ good.

It's fall and RICO's in the air :allears:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Messenger is extremely hit or miss depending on author and subject matter. Klasfeld has done a lot of solid work on the various Trump and Jan 6 legal proceedings, both for them and previously for Dan Abrams' clickbait rag.

As additional context, the judge demanded Kise apologize to his clerk and one of the NYAG lawyers yesterday after this reported exchange (Runyeon is an ex NYT guy, others including Klasfeld have independently corroborated at least the broad strokes)
https://twitter.com/frankrunyeon/status/1715082049495658807

That comes on the heels of oddly pissy exchanges during testimony on Wednesday that seemed over the top for what, the judge reminded them on a couple of occasions, is a bench trial where the shenanigans don't serve much purpose and the issue didn't seem that meaningful.

Kise is a hard core republican so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that he's also a massive misogynist but how can you be as cocky and dismissive as he is in a trial it appears you have already lost and are failing to even tread water in?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Murgos posted:

Kise is a hard core republican so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that he's also a massive misogynist but how can you be as cocky and dismissive as he is in a trial it appears you have already lost and are failing to even tread water in?

Because the law has never applied to you before, why should it this time?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's really weird that they are getting all pissy with the judge and court's staff. Like getting into pissing matches with opposing counsel is normal and kind of expected. But there's very, very little reason to be making enemies of the court. Both from the perspective of your client and your own career as a lawyer. You're probably going to have to keep working with that judge unless you're pro hac vice and will never see the court again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chessboard has also taken a plea deal

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1715400113013563520

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cheesebro has just flipped, he is now at this moment pleading guilty live in court and took a deal for his testimony.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drat autocorrect. On CNN rn.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hahaha Hahaha.

The orange man is so hosed. Literally every single one of his stooges is flipping the moment they run out of hail mary legal theories.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

We'll see what the judge does, but from what I'm hearing, what he's pleading to could result in one year in prison, at least 5 years probation, and a fine. If he serves out his probation, it also sounds like he could avoid a felony charge.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Question IRL posted:

Or the motion is a success and the trials are severed. And Chesebro gets his earlier trial and is convicted. Then he has to think does he want to get sentenced, or will he flip at this point for (a severely reduced) bit of mitigation for his sentence and agrees to testify in the much later Trump trial?

Probably won't happen, but it would be a spectacular own goal.

Called it! (Well most of it.)

The two people who went for the earlier trials saw that their bullshit defences were getting ripped to shreds and decided to be the first to run into squealer jail.

You love to see it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Hahaha Hahaha.

The orange man is so hosed. Literally every single one of his stooges is flipping the moment they run out of hail mary legal theories.

Hasn't Trump been copying all the Cheese motions so far? Wonder what he's gonna do now lol. These two I think were pretty influential, who else is there, Eastman?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Rats fleeing the sinking ship. I love it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's really weird that they are getting all pissy with the judge and court's staff. Like getting into pissing matches with opposing counsel is normal and kind of expected. But there's very, very little reason to be making enemies of the court. Both from the perspective of your client and your own career as a lawyer. You're probably going to have to keep working with that judge unless you're pro hac vice and will never see the court again.
The nature of Trump is that just about anyone who willing works with him will be from the bottom 1% of society. Getting pissy with the court is exactly what the dregs of society will do in this situation. So while it's entirely dumb it's not weird for a Trump associated person. Competency and decency are actively selected against.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Hasn't Trump been copying all the Cheese motions so far? Wonder what he's gonna do now lol. These two I think were pretty influential, who else is there, Eastman?

Eastman was the primary architect of the legal theory around disrupting and changing the results of the Jan 6 vote count, so I'd argue he was even more pivotal in the plot.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I have to imagine all the low level folks plead before trial because there is no sense going to trial when the Kraken is going to testify that she paid for you to go do election fraud. At the same time you basically have eastman, Jules and trump. No way on earth is trump getting a sweetheart probation deal like the rest so...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

A lot of trial lawyers are just gigantic assholes. Being a litigation attorney is one of the career paths where that particular kind of aggressive sociopathy is rewarded, so it draws the type.

Over the long term it works out about as well for them as you see here, but sometimes the long term is very long.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If Cheesebro pleas, would the evidence they were going to use against him still end up published somewhere? His was the one that I was mildly curious as to the mechanics of how it happened.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
well, sucks to be Rudy

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1715407987269918767

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Morroque posted:

If Cheesebro pleas, would the evidence they were going to use against him still end up published somewhere? His was the one that I was mildly curious as to the mechanics of how it happened.

I'm pretty sure part of the plea deal means them testifying to those very topics, so that the prosecutors wouldn't even need to use that evidence in the trial.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Soon Donald will flip, bringing them the true mastermind behind everything. Hunter Biden!

Caros
May 14, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Soon Donald will flip, bringing them the true mastermind behind everything. Hunter Biden!'s cock.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm pretty sure part of the plea deal means them testifying to those very topics, so that the prosecutors wouldn't even need to use that evidence in the trial.

Also, by having these two flip this takes away the prosecution having to give away trial strategy before the main trial starts next year.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Fuschia tude posted:

Parallel reconstruction remains a thing, eh?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

If there is any one thing frustrating about this, it's that I didn't just want to take their word for it. These people are known liars and frauds, so their testimony means less than the array of evidence against them. (At least in the colloquial sense.)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Morroque posted:

If there is any one thing frustrating about this, it's that I didn't just want to take their word for it. These people are known liars and frauds, so their testimony means less than the array of evidence against them. (At least in the colloquial sense.)

Part of his plea deal is he must continue to provide documents and evidence to the state. They're going to have plenty of documentary evidence to use in next year's trial, especially if he has anything they didn't already have a copy of.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I now regret my vote for Hunter's thicc hog

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rigel posted:

We'll see what the judge does, but from what I'm hearing, what he's pleading to could result in one year in prison, at least 5 years probation, and a fine. If he serves out his probation, it also sounds like he could avoid a felony charge.

LOL if that is all he gets then he is getting off incredibly lightly!

He should at least have to eat 1 felony charge and go away for 5yr at a minimum.

The felony + time away would mean by the time he got out his chances of restarting his bullshit political games will be greatly diminished and limited.

As is he'll be ending up just like loving Bannon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chesebro cannot be a real name

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

LOL if that is all he gets then he is getting off incredibly lightly!

He should at least have to eat 1 felony charge and go away for 5yr at a minimum.

The felony + time away would mean by the time he got out his chances of restarting his bullshit political games will be greatly diminished and limited.

As is he'll be ending up just like loving Bannon.

The judge already imposed the punishment requested by the prosecution as part of the plea deal.

It's 5 years of supervised probation and a $5,000 fine.

A non-violent first-time offender who turned state's witness was never going to get 5 years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

Part of his plea deal is he must continue to provide documents and evidence to the state. They're going to have plenty of documentary evidence to use in next year's trial, especially if he has anything they didn't already have a copy of.

Not just this but also must testify fully and cooperatively in ALL trials on this subject. What this likely means is that Chesebro now has to go stand in front of his currently ongoing disciplinary trial and come clean.

Chesebro's lawyers stated that they wouldn't accept a plea deal in GA without also a deal federally because he would be basically shooting himself in the foot if he did that. So, yeah, chances are he's already talking to the Feds too.

Chesebro was walking with Alex Jones as he led a part of the mob around the capitol on Jan 06 and it's thought that Jones was the cut out between the mob and the Willard war room (Roger Stone, Oath Keeper and Proud Boys comms and leadership) which is the cut out to Trump. The most optimistic thing I can think of to come from this news of Chesebro flipping is that there may soon be evidence that shows Trump giving direction to the Mob's activities on the 6th.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Murgos posted:

Chesebro's lawyers stated that they wouldn't accept a plea deal in GA without also a deal federally because he would be basically shooting himself in the foot if he did that. So, yeah, chances are he's already talking to the Feds too.

It prevents other states from going after him, right?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chesebro cannot be a real name

I have been struggling with this the entire time. I thought this thread was meme'ing for weeks until I watched a legal eagle video and heard the pronunciation there and no, he is just straight up cheese bro.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, as a legal layman it seems like if two lawyers have flipped in a rico case trump's only hope at this point is either a bad faith chud on the jury or the supreme court throwing him a lifeline on some crazy executive privilege theory of essentially it's not a crime if the president does it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, as a legal layman it seems like if two lawyers have flipped in a rico case trump's only hope at this point is either a bad faith chud on the jury or the supreme court throwing him a lifeline on some crazy executive privilege theory of essentially it's not a crime if the president does it

That line of argument is starting moving in the DC case. Here is DoJ's brief on why they don't think that's how any of this works:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148/gov.uscourts.dcd.258148.109.0_1.pdf

So, we're about a year or so from an answer I guess?

Edit: The brief is written from best arguments down to the, 'even if you don't buy any of the last 40 pages here is the suspenders' which I'll just cite the first paragraph since it's pretty telling:

quote:

D. Even If a Former President Were Entitled to Immunity from Criminal
Prosecution Comparable to His Immunity from Civil Liability, Dismissal Is
Not Warranted Here.

Dismissal is at a minimum unwarranted because the defendant has no remotely viable claim
that all of the indictment’s allegations involve acts “within the ‘outer perimeter’ of his official
responsibility.” Fitzgerald, 457 U.S. at 756. For example, allegations that the defendant “acted
purely in his capacity as a candidate for office” by, among other things, “directing his campaign
staff” to further his efforts to overturn the election results do not fall within the outer perimeter of
the presidency.

Trump, by his own admission, was not acting as President during some of the alleged criminal activity and so can not possibly be immune from criminal liability unless SCOTUS wants to make Biden king. That is, if there is no way what-so-ever that what Trump was doing was within the role of president and he's still immune then presidents are above the law and can't be held accountable for anything. So, Biden might as well dissolve congress with cluster munitions and do a victory lap.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 20, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What the hell does a defense even look like now for Trump?

In terms of public opinion, yeah I know the answer is just "lie", but the hell are they gonna do in the Chutkan case? The legal equivalent of curling up into the fetal position?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xiahou Dun posted:

In terms of public opinion, yeah I know the answer is just "lie", but the hell are they gonna do in the Chutkan case? The legal equivalent of curling up into the fetal position?

Depends what actual testimony or evidence that specifically implicates him Chesebro and Powell can provide.

If they can discredit the witnesses (not that hard since they are famous liars who are currently testifying to save themselves) and they don't have any solid corroborating evidence to their testimony, then "reasonable doubt" could be achieved.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

The defense has always been to delay until after the election and then pardon himself if he wins. In Georgia they're banking on the idea that nobody is going to want to try to jail a sitting president. It's very clear that Trump is guilty and has no real defense to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'd bet a nominal amount of money that Chesebro has copious notes because he's a titanic nerd with absolute poo poo judgement.