Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

glasnost toyboy posted:

I feel like it's a criminally underrated movie.

Won't speak as to the actual ratings, but in terms of audiences, it had a lot of factors working against it - a lead with a perception of being flat and awful (she's not, but Stewart and R-Pats have and will spend their entire careers trying to overcome their Twilight rep), getting released in the January Dump Zone right at the start of a fun new pandemic, and that dickhead TJ Miller being in it.

I think it's one of those movies that people are eventually gonna come around on. Especially with Stewart's whole deal about how she's terrified of being underwater, but she not only toughed out a shoot with a ton of practical water effects, she turned in a good performance to boot.

Phy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

glasnost toyboy posted:

I feel like it's a criminally underrated movie.

To think that its success might have led to a sequel that could have been the Aliens to its Alien. Underwater Marines in power armor trying and failing to gently caress poo poo up :allears:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Quality deep aquatic horror is hard to come by. Underwater has a lot of weaknesses, but it also doesn't have much competition. Would we count Sphere or The Abyss? I wouldn't. Leviathan exists, and so does Deepstar Six, but those make Underwater look like Citizen Kane.

Personally, I think dropping the poorly-handled Kristen Stewart's inner demons content and layering on an additional Ian Holm/Ash-esque component on top of the survival premise to hint at--not dig into--the broader lore and mythos would have helped it out a lot.

I really respect making *that* the bad guy and not leading with it; I didn't pick up on it until like more than halfway through.

Weirdly, there's one scene toward the beginning of Sea Fever that really slams that deep aquatic horror pleasure button for me, but it's just the one scene out of the whole movie, unfortunately.

Also the middle act of the greatest film ever made, Meg 2: The Trench, is a quick little speedrun of Underwater/Pitch Black/Fast and Furious trapped underwater that sadly does not lean into its full potential.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

The Abyss? I wouldn't.

Believe I've said it before but a documentary about the making of The Abyss would be a horror, with Jim Cameron as the monster

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think Sea Fever is pretty decent and runs along at a nice clip until the end when (and the filmmakers admitted as such in the screening I attended) the production ran out of money and they had to cut some corners.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It being a week since I finished Haunting of Bly Manor, I think there were too many ghosts. The dead fiancé was a big deal for two episodes and then disappeared. Peter was a big deal right up until the last two episodes where he showed up for literally five seconds and then disappeared. And I still don't understand why the gardener would tell the entire story to the children when they all agreed it would be better for them to forget.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It being a week since I finished Haunting of Bly Manor, I think there were too many ghosts. The dead fiancé was a big deal for two episodes and then disappeared. Peter was a big deal right up until the last two episodes where he showed up for literally five seconds and then disappeared. And I still don't understand why the gardener would tell the entire story to the children when they all agreed it would be better for them to forget.

yeah that final scene is really pat, way over-determined to "wrap it all up"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Underwater was appropriately rated. It was too ponderous and dark which I think pushed off a lot of people. Awesome take on Cthulhu and the acting was solid.

No One Will Save You is awesome and 10 times better than the no dialogue movie Nick Cage did. It's catharsis, but in movie form!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I feel like Flanagan has always been substance over story so you're supposed to shut your brain off and just go yea this is supposed to be emotional devices when it comes to most of the ghosts in Bly Manor and Hill House. Same with this past one in Fall of the House of Usher.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how did people here like The Outwaters? watched it alone very late last night with all the lights off which kind of felt like the ideal setting. kinda mixed on it but when it was good it was very good and while it never really scared me per se it did give me some hosed up dreams i can't quite remember.

I think many people have come around on the "lost in the dark" stuff, which is the best stuff in the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think many people have come around on the "lost in the dark" stuff, which is the best stuff in the film.

oh easily. honestly i found the first hour pretty interminable but i was in the right headspace for it so it went down easy enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The buildup with the earthquake is really effective, too.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
saw this in the politoons thread:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
obviously Dan is a metaphor for IBS

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone who likes Evil Dead needs to go watch May the Devil Take You right now. It's like Evil Dead but with character development.
It has one of the most amazing practical effects shots I've ever seen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skrillmub posted:

Anyone who likes Evil Dead needs to go watch May the Devil Take You right now. It's like Evil Dead but with character development.

Okay, but... who wants that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

I do. I mean I don't not want evil dead if it doesn't have character development, but ill take any variations of evil dead

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Evil Dead is perfect the way it is, not saying character development is needed.
May the Devil Take You is a slower movie but all the spooks are Evil Dead and fantastic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I want that. Where can I see it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How much found footage can you find that is so creative, surreal, and...cosmic i guess??? in its horror. They exist but there isn't much.

MY MAN HAVE YOU HEARD OF KOJI SHIRAISHI?!?!?!!?!??

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I want that. Where can I see it?

Netflix US

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gripweed posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Yeah sure, I love Shiraishi but I mean...that's about it. There's no Shiraishi in Western found footage.
Like I said "there isn't much", The Outwaters still stands out remarkably among 99% of found footage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah sure, I love Shiraishi but I mean...that's about it. There's no Shiraishi in Western found footage.
Like I said "there isn't much", The Outwaters still stands out remarkably among 99% of found footage.

Have you seen RWD? It's not exactly cosmic but it is about people stumbling into something that's a lot bigger than just a monster or a killer or whatever. And it has a great sense of humor.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

saw x was a great time, big laughs with the first death and all the characters seemed to know they were in a saw film so it goes along at a great pace

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Have you seen RWD? It's not exactly cosmic but it is about people stumbling into something that's a lot bigger than just a monster or a killer or whatever. And it has a great sense of humor.
Yeah, that's one of the random found footage I dug through. Wasn't really a fan, a lil too cheap and nothing, but I appreciated a small budget thing with two characters having some ok moments and creative concepts. Like a not as good Resolution imo. You're right tho, at least it wasn't the same old same old.
That goddamn loving ringtone got me at least once lol

Really want to watch Psychic Vision Jaganrei but apparently it hasn't been translated.

Gonna give Underwater a shot rn based on the recent posts about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

There's no Shiraishi in Western found footage.
Like I said "there isn't much",

I have some ideas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have some ideas.
Hey if you have recs I'll take em.

Maybe I should say The Outwaters stands out among like...95% not 99%. I mean, sure, Matt Johnson did some interesting things with found footage I guess. Not cosmic/surreal, but sort of creative and different at least.

I will say for my money the two "prettiest" found footage films are The Outwaters and The Medium.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Phy posted:

Won't speak as to the actual ratings, but in terms of audiences, it had a lot of factors working against it - a lead with a perception of being flat and awful (she's not, but Stewart and R-Pats have and will spend their entire careers trying to overcome their Twilight rep), getting released in the January Dump Zone right at the start of a fun new pandemic, and that dickhead TJ Miller being in it.

I rewatched Cloverfield recently and I'd forgotten TJ Miller is the camera person. On on hand that means you don't see him on screen much, on the other you have to listen to his lovely colour commentary and reactions the whole way through. At least in Underwater his character is killed pretty early on.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
More Saw X qualms, despite having liked the movie

what was the final trap meant to be? I mean, yes, they set up that gas room for Cecilia, but it's a stretch to say that Jigsaw always knew with 100% certainty that things would play out that way.

With Cecilia and Parker free, wasn't he also putting them at risk that they would just, like, kill John and Amanda, rather than putting them in the blood trap? (My understanding is that is how they expected it would play out, though the boy was a surprise). Also accounting for Cecilia and Parker being free also always put any additional trap survivors at risk - as plays our for Gabriela - maybe he didn't know just how homicidal she was but assuming anyone successfully beat their traps, this plan also risked them not being able to take the survivors to get care

I'm assuming there was a contingency and had they not gone upstairs, Parker and Cecilia would have been put in the blood trap? (I just can't accept they knew for sure how everything would play out). But either way, it seems like a pretty light on test for Cecilia - both the blood trap and the gas room allow for killing another person and escaping unscathed - pretty chill for someone with few moral qualms like Cecilia

Lastly, and while this is more "no poo poo, Jigsaw's philosophy and traps are kinda bullshit", I think basically the whole crew should have passed their 'tests'. Valentina and Matteo both do what was asked of them and have completed the hard part of their tasks, just not fast enough to fill their 'meters'. The idea that this demonstrates they didn't have will to live when they literally completed the extreme lengths in the time and were seconds away from surviving is complete nonsense, but is obviously a way to maximize tension and the gore factor by seeing them complete the gross thing but still die

Of course we could say no poo poo, this stuff is arbitrary and Jigsaw's philosophy is hosed up. But, the frame of the movie with making Jigsaw more sympathetic and Cecilia so ultimately repugnant killing a survivor and putting a child at risks of death more than any other movie, pushes you to side with ole Jig. But it's bullshit, we know Jigsaw is fine with putting innocents, including children in harms way like Dr Gordon's daughter in the first movie. It would have been more interesting if Cecilia challenged him a little more, while overall I still recommend it as one of the better parts of the franchise (that doesn't say much, but I did like it), setting up a little more of a dynamic than just making Jigsaw a hero would have been more interesting. Maybe I'm just annoyed because the film is absolutely catering to the dumbest "jigsaw isn't a murderer, he actually saves people" conversations I had with people in high school

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Watched Green Room, very tense and very effective in its use of gore - graphic but not gratuitous. Laughed at that fake out literal needle drop where it just jump cuts to the run out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, that's one of the random found footage I dug through. Wasn't really a fan, a lil too cheap and nothing, but I appreciated a small budget thing with two characters having some ok moments and creative concepts. Like a not as good Resolution imo. You're right tho, at least it wasn't the same old same old.
That goddamn loving ringtone got me at least once lol

Really want to watch Psychic Vision Jaganrei but apparently it hasn't been translated.

Gonna give Underwater a shot rn based on the recent posts about it.

It has been!

MacheteZombie posted:

Hundu, that j horror found footage flick Psychic Visuons Jaganrei has subs now

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/9464831/psychic-vision-jaganrei-en

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

It has been!
Oh hell yeah. Thanks so much, I guess I missed that. Gonna watch it right after Underwater.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The absolute craziest thing about Underwater is seeing Vincent Cassel play someone who isn't a creepy scuzzbag. Its mind-blowing seeing him play a selfless serious leader instead of a creep/reprobate/maniac/criminal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Death Proof, Duel, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, Crash, is car horror the horror sub genre with the highest batting average?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Death Proof, Duel, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, Crash, is car horror the horror sub genre with the highest batting average?

Don't forget The Cars that Ate Paris.

Also, do Road Games, The Hitch-hiker and The Hitcher also count?

Yeah, this is a good genre within a genre.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Yeah I dunno, my read is that this movie is while making Jigsaw more sympathetic is the one that actually goes out of its way to show he is a hypocrite. Like the game only really had one lesson to teach here, and that was I am a better conman than you.

A lot of the other movies have others being used as basically props in someone else's game. But here its a bunch of lower class brown people being used as fodder in the game that is built around the wealthy white woman, who is the only one who lives, and who Jigsaw predicts is going to kill the most sympathetic person in the movie.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 21, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also, do Road Games, The Hitch-hiker and The Hitcher also count?

Or Titane, which has not yet had a physical release in the UK. I feel like it should be right up Second Sight's alley as they did one for Ducournau's Raw.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I dunno, my read is that this movie is while making Jigsaw more sympathetic is the one that actually goes out of its way to show he is a hypocrite. Like the game only really had one lesson to teach here, and that was I am a better conman than you.

A lot of the other movies have others being used as basically props in someone else's game. But here its a bunch of lower class brown people being used as fodder in the game that is built around the wealthy white woman, who is the only one who lives, and who Jigsaw predicts is going to kill the most sympathetic person in the movie.

Yeah, that's a good point. I think all that stuff is there for the audience to read, but some stuff like the hero shot rebirth of Jigsaw, the child and Amanda bathed in light seems to stretch a bit too far into making the audience 'side' with him

I think you're right, this one clearly had a personal angle for John and he's self righteous trying to pull his own 'con' and just as fallible as the people he's criticizing

I was listening to an interview with Kevin Greutert on the Saw X episode of the "Seeing Saw" podcast and apparently they shot a line where Jigsaw tells "a character" almost certainly Cecilia he's "a not a killer, just a healer" and they say back "riiiight, like how john Wayne gacy was just a clown?" And I totally think that line should have been in the movie. They said it was cut 'for pacing' but I think it's more that they wanted to go for a weirdly 'feel good' ending with Jig and Amanda leaving with an innocent child, and the villainous Cecilia having had her comeuppance, and those elements I would have liked i.e. Jig being prodded a bit more would take away from that

E: the other thing I've heard said about this is that it all being kind of bullshit is part of what pushes Amanda and better sets up where her arc goes in Saw 3. Which is true and is threaded throughout the conversations in this movie, but I think I still would have liked the bullshit called out a bit more

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The biggest laugh out of Saw X I got was when jigsaw asks the girl why she was so quick to sacrifice her “friends” I was sitting there thinking John my man, how exactly do you think capitalism works?