Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MarcusSA posted:

Just use the shortcut.

The what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe we should get a mod to put the shortcut into the OP, hmm.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Subjunctive posted:

I’m interested in why it crashes on macOS too, I’ll ask pokey to dig out some of those crashes. are you reporting them? if so, could you put “for subjunctive” in the crash notes? and are you on beta or store?

we could do a bunch of mouse and keyboard stuff (like cmd-enter to preview/post!) I think but I probably won’t get to it soon, personally. the crash is more likely to get my attention I think!

Yes, I had been, but this time I reproduced it and added a note. I’m not on TestFlight, I’ve been using appstore release. This has been broken for a long time (over a year, I think).

The “click and hold” is not discoverable at all on Mac OS, but I’ve been using enough Catalyst/“iPad apps on Apple Silicon” to know about it. Even if the right-click context menu only brings up the share sheet that’d still be an improvement. Hell, allow double-clicking/tapping to open the image viewer.

Also, while I’m here… when the app is open for a very long time on Mac OS it loses track of unread counts in bookmarks after a certain amount of time. Pulling to refresh often results in negative post counts or zero for threads that I know should have new posts (like USCE). Quitting the app, waiting some amount of time, and then reopening the app usually gets a proper count. I’m guessing this is a caching issue for the user bookmark page because the app gets OOM’d on iOS and it’s not used to being open in the background for very long periods of time. I’m pretty sure I could reproduce it on an iPad if i left it open long enough and the iPad didn’t go to sleep.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 13, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The what now?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/be3cdad7da1f4cdab411b2649e3b161d

You can add that to your widget screen and it’s one click uploading.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EDIT: ooh works! Thanks!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

MarcusSA posted:

Wow, thanks. This is great.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kefkafloyd posted:

Yes, I had been, but this time I reproduced it and added a note. I’m not on TestFlight, I’ve been using appstore release. This has been broken for a long time (over a year, I think).

The “click and hold” is not discoverable at all on Mac OS, but I’ve been using enough Catalyst/“iPad apps on Apple Silicon” to know about it. Even if the right-click context menu only brings up the share sheet that’d still be an improvement. Hell, allow double-clicking/tapping to open the image viewer.

Also, while I’m here… when the app is open for a very long time on Mac OS it loses track of unread counts in bookmarks after a certain amount of time. Pulling to refresh often results in negative post counts or zero for threads that I know should have new posts (like USCE). Quitting the app, waiting some amount of time, and then reopening the app usually gets a proper count. I’m guessing this is a caching issue for the user bookmark page because the app gets OOM’d on iOS and it’s not used to being open in the background for very long periods of time. I’m pretty sure I could reproduce it on an iPad if i left it open long enough and the iPad didn’t go to sleep.

I would not be surprised to discover that we have a slow memory leak somewhere that is usually masked by the iOS/iPadOS app lifecycle being all about frequent restarts.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

MarcusSA posted:

Testing. Here, have a patio turkey

Edit: ok yeah that’s dope. Thanks.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 13, 2023

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Testing

e: oh my God, it's glorious.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Just use the shortcut.

Can someone repost this? I messed something up and it no longer works for me

E:thanks

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This would happen with pagination too (and does on the web site). If a thread were on page 3 of your bookmarks, and then while you're looking at page 2 the thread gets updated, it would move to page 1 and you wouldn't see it until you went back. There's no way to get an atomic snapshot of the bookmarked thread state, so it's racy like that.

Yeah but as it is now it's way more visually confusing simply because it's different from how the forums are and how threads in Awful are. Reaching the end of the "page" with the infinite list forces the refresh and threads jump around like crazy and I think there's some bug or conflict with the site or SALR (unlikely I admit) or something where threads with new posts get put at the top of the "page" on the actual site but Awful does it too and flings a thread with new posts, once "discovered" upon a refresh of a new "page" to the very top of the entire list, if that makes sense.

Plus it's slightly helpful and more consistent to know that a thread you were reading on the forums was on, say, page four of a forum so instead of having to scroll down to it to reach this vague "page four" you could just pick page four and get to it right away.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Small dumb thing I just noticed: Are there not any platinum icons for the classic or alternative dark themes? I know it shows the grenade icon on the light themes, and on the OLED ones, but not Classic Dark or Alternative Dark.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

There is this version that uploads to catbox.moe:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ddbb5ddbd80f4660bc8cddbd3a965d13

This one transloads URLs:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b6f398dfc4dd4b9f92ad01d195b09e8c

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

when i try to quote this post (by fadam) it pulls up an empty quote. probably because of the hosed up extra tag at the beginning of it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020922&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=81#post535388274

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering TwitterX is a liar's dreamscape is there any movement to maybe allow embeds from other social media systems like Instagram or BlueSky?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Android Apocalypse posted:

Considering TwitterX is a liar's dreamscape is there any movement to maybe allow embeds from other social media systems like Instagram or BlueSky?

Do they provide an embedding model like Twitter does, or would we have to scrape the linked page? Discord manages to unfurl them, but Discord probably also has a 6-person “make poo poo unfurl” team working full time so I’m not sure how fragile/feasible it is.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I thought the various cross-site link content embeds (in Discord and other sites + apps too) were from like Open Graph stuff? So mb hopefully that's an easier lift than it would be otherwise

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the update text said something about spooky user icons, do I have to do something for my ghost to not appear as a grenade in the app?

e: seems like it’s an OLED dark issue. requesting custom plat icons there too pretty please

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

I thought the various cross-site link content embeds (in Discord and other sites + apps too) were from like Open Graph stuff? So mb hopefully that's an easier lift than it would be otherwise

I think a pain point is that you need to download every link to see if it has the opengraph meta tags. You can whitelist but Mastodon makes a mess of that since there are a thousand different servers.

I wonder if a HEAD call is enough to tell if it’s a Mastodon server.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
you can't view bluesky tweets without being logged in (for now, will be viewable to all soonish), should wait that to change first imo

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah Bluesky is still working a lot of things out while handling the influx of new users but they're pushing out updates at a pretty fast pace so embeds are probably coming soon.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ulvir posted:

the update text said something about spooky user icons, do I have to do something for my ghost to not appear as a grenade in the app?

e: seems like it’s an OLED dark issue. requesting custom plat icons there too pretty please

Spooky user icons are granted for making donations of $13 or more in a haunted clubhouse thread, I thought that’s what the app update enabled display of

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ulvir posted:

Yeah, and none of the icons (Spooky or the basic grenade) except the mod stars appear in Classic Dark still, even with the app update (iPhone SE 3, iOS 17.0.3 if it matters).

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Can we pls get the trans, pride and riker app icons in the next update too? Pretty please.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Spooky user icons are granted for making donations of $13 or more in a haunted clubhouse thread, I thought that’s what the app update enabled display of

but they’re not enabled in any of the dark themes. in alternate dark, classic dark and OLED dark (and also that spanky something) they’re still just grenades :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ulvir posted:

but they’re not enabled in any of the dark themes. in alternate dark, classic dark and OLED dark (and also that spanky something) they’re still just grenades :(

I run OLED dark and see them; that’s actually the only thing I tested them in when I made the patch, and Pokeyman had to fix it to make it work in other themes!

E: this is a lie, I don’t see them on the beta now for some dark themes, hmm

What version are you running?

(I’m travelling and apparently I don’t have Tailscale set up to autostart on my Mac, so I can’t do anything until the end of the week anyway)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who is it that works on it? the thread was started by awful poster carry on then but dudes banned now

is there a paypal or patreon or whatev

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I run OLED dark and see them; that’s actually the only thing I tested them in when I made the patch, and Pokeyman had to fix it to make it work in other themes!

E: this is a lie, I don’t see them on the beta now for some dark themes, hmm

What version are you running?

(I’m travelling and apparently I don’t have Tailscale set up to autostart on my Mac, so I can’t do anything until the end of the week anyway)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: BUG REPORT :siren:

The title on the “you are posting too fast” error message needs to be corrected, it currently says something about image upload failed.

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

i would like very much if threads always jumped to the most recent post when you tap them, even when you have no unread posts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is bait and I refuse to engage with such a post.

vanquished boner
Mar 11, 2013

i’m.. not going to say how long i’ve been using this while occasionally looking for that option and not seeing it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The closest you can probably do is long hold the post and hit the ‘skip to last page’ option, rather than last post. But it’ll get you close.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

vanquished boner posted:

i would like very much if threads always jumped to the most recent post when you tap them, even when you have no unread posts

You mean most-recent-unread, but last post if no unread? I think that would be both humane and consistent with the web site, hmm.

echinopsis posted:

who is it that works on it? the thread was started by awful poster carry on then but dudes banned now

is there a paypal or patreon or whatev

CommieKong has done the most work of late, and we have totally burned out Pokeyman over a decade or whatever of toil. spanky and The Dave have done a bunch of design/asset work. Prior to his perma, carry on then did a fair bit too. I dabble very infrequently, often making more work for Pokeyman to clean up. There’s a historical list in the OP!

There’s no fundraising thing because a) Pokeyman didn’t want to have to figure out how to share with contributors, but more importantly b) nobody involved wants to feel an obligation to do work on it.

[*] I better dabble more frequently in the future or my wife is going to make even more faces about the Mini I bought for the purpose…

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

on the website you can attempt to quote a post in a closed thread so you can get the tag with the post id and stuff. i thought you could do it on the app too but apparently not. i think it would be fine to have it behave like the site where it goes to compose a post which you can edit but if you try to post it itll be like uhhh no dogg.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think we should disable preview/post in the editor rather than keeping it from popping up. Alternatively, quote on a closed thread could just copy the quote into the clipboard automatically?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

, quote on a closed thread could just copy the quote into the clipboard automatically?

yes

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that'd be fine too, maybe with a little prompt or message that it will or did happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

big deal posted:

that'd be fine too, maybe with a little prompt or message that it will or did happen.

I was thinking
- rename menu item to “Copy Quote” in that case
- little popover like we have for bookmark addition

Make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the intent is the same in either case so just having the popover feedback would get the point across imo