Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Were those guys experienced tankers or new soldiers?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
They're probably also competent tankers, and just needed to be crosstrained to the leo2, not a fresh conscript with no understand of how tanks work.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
They might also be motivated students, what with their country under attack and such

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Just Another Lurker posted:

The IRA ones were mostly single use types converted from gas cannisters (14 inch diameter) and could be launched from the back of a van/lorry with holes cut in the roof or just plopped down in a field.

I remember them hitting a helicopter (it was hovering at a barracks)... such was my local news back then.

Also fired some from the back of a van at 10 Downing Street that time. I remember seeing the burning Transit on telly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_mortar_attack

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those numbers just look too high to be true. 55 tanks and 120 IFV in one day?

Footage from one of the latest pushes. (Its just exploding vehicles shown)
https://vxtwitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1715300569689059648

They just keep pushing the same areas again and again as seen at 11 seconds with the graveyard of destroyed vehicles. This isn't even the real big attack they stopped but that video is full of infantry getting cluster munitioned to hell and back at the end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

They just keep pushing the same areas again and again as seen at 11 seconds with the graveyard of destroyed vehicles. This isn't even the real big attack they stopped but that video is full of infantry getting cluster munitioned to hell and back at the end.

I read that Ukraine laid a lot of mines, so that's probably why they're all pushing in the same place.

That, or incompetence.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

goomsnarr posted:

Also fired some from the back of a van at 10 Downing Street that time. I remember seeing the burning Transit on telly.

I clicked on this and the ad in the comments could not have been better

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sure, you drive in a column with a mine clearing vehicle in the front, but normally you'd suppress enemy positions with artillery and lay down lots of smoke. The only smoke I'm seeing is from burning Russian vehicles…

e: original idea do not steal

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 20, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Antigravitas posted:

Sure, you drive in a column with a mine clearing vehicle in the front, but normally you'd suppress enemy positions with artillery and lay down lots of smoke. The only smoke I'm seeing is from burning Russian vehicles…

Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't give them any ideas

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am reasonably certain nobody would take military advice from me, but I edited my post just in case.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Antigravitas posted:

I am reasonably certain nobody would take military advice from me, but I edited my post just in case.

My wife is a family court lawyer, and I've seen a LOT of Law and Order so I feel very comfortable telling you that you are all set now.

Teamwork makes the loving dream work

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

But if we go single file, we hide our numbers AND get free route clearance! Bing Bong, so simple!

No, I don't think these myths and stories of small flying robots directing magic death from the sky are nothing more than enemy propaganda.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
To be fair, this looks a bit like week one of the Ukrainian counter-offensive.

So we’ve seen both Ukraine and Russia be broken up at the tactical level by prepared defenses only a few months apart.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
If I remember correctly from one of the secret diary articles of a Ukrainian soldier, they were already training on the T64 when they got sent to Germany to train on the Leopard instead

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fragrag posted:

If I remember correctly from one of the secret diary articles of a Ukrainian soldier, they were already training on the T64 when they got sent to Germany to train on the Leopard instead

That's a loving upgrade.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

loving hell, it's literally like watching a bunch of World of Tanks pubbies lemming-rush an open field one by one. Hell, at 0:15 there's even a tomato pushing their teammate into the enemy's field of fire so that both promptly explode.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Invalido posted:

As someone who's been though the Swedish Leo2 training I find that hard to believe. Back in my day tank crew were conscripted, I did 15 months in uniform 10 of which was all tank stuff more or less. Training was intense, days were often very long, and at the end I would describe us as "barely competent". Most of the guys I served with were pretty smart and quick learners too (one of the advantages of the conscription system I guess, the army gets to pick and choose) This was for the commander role though, drivers and gunners were in 12 months total, loaders 10, and those guys spent less time than I did on non-tank things. I can see training a decent loader happening in 9 weeks, especially if the person being trained can already tie their shoes and make their bed and fire a rifle. Driving a Leo2 in easy terrain in daylight isn't hard at all if you've ever driven a car but the tactical stuff our drivers were expected to handle as well as the repair/maintenance side of things isn't trivial to learn. Also all the finer details. For example we spent several days just learning to camouflage the things in a hurry. Mundane things like loading/unloading on trailers or rail cars, using various bridges, fording, recovery/towing etc. all took time. Especially night operations is really hard to do reasonably well compared to daylight despite all the gadgets and requires lots of practice (like several weeks of it) especially for drivers and commanders.

As far as I know its not new recruits being trained? So it's more like already experienced tankers, retrained onto new gear. So safety, maintenance, repair, manual of arms stuff.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Re: tank training,
I don't know if the Ukrainian trainees were raw recruits, or if they already had experience as tank crews.
If it's the latter, I suppose the curriculum could be somewhat abridged. Just give the important bits that vary with that model tank.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some other video going around which provides some more context for the huge losses. I guess there was some light snow or ash or something, the field was covered in a layer of something white. Armored columns advancing and melting it with the heat of the vehicle and it just looks like something from the old missile commander arcade games. Your eyes just immediately track right to where they are as they get lit up.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

dennyk posted:

loving hell, it's literally like watching a bunch of World of Tanks pubbies lemming-rush an open field one by one. Hell, at 0:15 there's even a tomato pushing their teammate into the enemy's field of fire so that both promptly explode.
The first vehicle was probably disabled by a previous mine hit. It makes sense to push it further in front of you, because then that vehicle will hit the other mines, or get pushed off to the side after a while. You don’t want to drive around it, as you will then just hit the other mines to the left or right of the ones that disabled the first vehicle.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

goomsnarr posted:

Whoa I’d never heard of that before dang.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DTurtle posted:

The first vehicle was probably disabled by a previous mine hit. It makes sense to push it further in front of you, because then that vehicle will hit the other mines, or get pushed off to the side after a while. You don’t want to drive around it, as you will then just hit the other mines to the left or right of the ones that disabled the first vehicle.

The editing on most of these videos tends towards “most favorable light” but that video seems bad even by that standard.

The tank at the beginning and at the end I think are the same tank? Which also clears a mine with an explosion near the middle? It’s not clear that the pusher AFV takes a bit or is disabled.

Anyway, I think that there’s only 2 disabled vehicles in that video despite it showing what could be interpreted as five or six.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
They aren’t the same tank it looks like the one in the last clip is the one behind the one in the first clip.

Skoots fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 21, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Visually confirmed.

What's the difference between an IFV and an APC? Carry capacity? Armor level?
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1715395056893354043

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Visually confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1715395056893354043

Someone will have a better answer, but for now.

APC are armored taxi- pull up, drop off, go get more. It will have a gun, but it isn't there to stand and fight. Often carry more dudes.

IFV are support vehicles, pull up, pour hate to support their dismounts. Also designed to fight other IFV and light armor.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It is also a bit subjective. Like the person counts BTR-82A as an IFV (note: BTR means APC), perhaps because it has an autocannon so it's much better at supporting infantry in a fight than something with just machine guns.

Things that are officially IFVs (which is what BMP means) tend to have that or a cannon, or both, and probably also some ATGMs. (A BMP-3 has an autocannon and a 100mm cannon. It also tends to explode really hard). They also tend to have a bit more armor, since that's helpful in a fight.

Of course, I am pretty sure there have been videos of Ukrainians using Humvees in straight up fights...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think IFVs also carry a weapon that isn’t crew-served/man-portable? The thing has to be on a vehicle, more or less. Nobody’s dragging around that drat Bushmaster off the top of a Bradley and putting it back into service.

Unlike the ICVs, (like a Stryker) where you could pull the .50 or Mk19 off the top and throw it on a tripod if things were getting that level of stupid. Idk if there’s even a difference between ICV and APC though :v:

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think IFVs also carry a weapon that isn’t crew-served/man-portable? The thing has to be on a vehicle, more or less. Nobody’s dragging around that drat Bushmaster off the top of a Bradley and putting it back into service.

Unlike the ICVs, (like a Stryker) where you could pull the .50 or Mk19 off the top and throw it on a tripod if things were getting that level of stupid. Idk if there’s even a difference between ICV and APC though :v:

Halo lied to us all , unforgivable

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone make a IFV alignment chart, make sure killdozer is on there somewhere.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you intend your vehicle to carry infantry and to stay and fight with your infantry, it's an infantry fighting vehicle. I am a doctrine functionalist.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

If you intend your vehicle to carry infantry and to stay and fight with your infantry, it's an infantry fighting vehicle. I am a doctrine functionalist.

The Toyota Hilux: the world's premier IFV.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Big My Tank Is Fight energy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Antigravitas posted:

Does it have to stay by choice?

"A humvee stuck in the mud is an IFV."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
*Pentagon Wars begins playing in the background*

Good luck y'all.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Someone make a IFV alignment chart, make sure killdozer is on there somewhere.

I think killdozer was on the technical chart.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, here you can see good mechanized assault practice with an IFV, imagine doing that with an APC: https://old.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/17cl6c7/russian_bmd2_ifv_attempted_to_assault_ukrainian/

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I think killdozer was on the technical chart.

I mean, it can bring a guy to the battlefield.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

bird food bathtub posted:

*Pentagon Wars begins playing in the background*

Good luck y'all.

No, I'm not rising to this bait to talk about that lovely book and lovely movie.

Let's talk about Russian Losses- how long can they keep this up before the attack's just unsustainable?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

No, I'm not rising to this bait to talk about that lovely book and lovely movie.

Let's talk about Russian Losses- how long can they keep this up before the attack's just unsustainable?

It's been unsustainable for the entire 3 day operation, and just keeps getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's called deficit spending and it's only unsustainable if you aren't winning. Russia knows that they're gonna start winning any day now, so they don't have to worry about all of that red ink or those zinc boxes because victory is in sight