Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Craptacular! posted:

Totally uninformed take, but I feel the Yankees wouldn't have to go to analytics therapy to learn where it all went wrong if they just sacked Cashman and hired Ng to replace him.

Of course that won't actually happen.

I said this exact thing earlier today in conversation, so you aren't alone. Problem is that he is more of the owner than Hal at this point, basically a family member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cashman knows where all the bodies are buried

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
personally I am all in favor of Ng not ever working for the Yankees because she's actually good and I like when the Yankees lose

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

maffew buildings posted:

personally I am all in favor of Ng not ever working for the Yankees because she's actually good and I like when the Yankees lose

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
She worked for Cashman.....

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The fantasy scenario in which the Yankees fire Cashman and replace him with Ng is like ignoring all human relationships involved. It’s drat near Shakespearean.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

The fantasy scenario in which the Yankees fire Cashman and replace him with Ng is like ignoring all human relationships involved. It’s drat near Shakespearean.

They already ignore all human elements on the field, it's just the logical next step :v:

Too bad they wouldn't fire Randy Levine and make her team President

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Something tells me that Kim isn't going to be viewed as just another Steinbrenner child.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

STAC Goat posted:

Yankees should legitimately just hire Lunhow.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Make mcmagic the Yankees GM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He'll bring new ideas like trade all your bad players for good ones

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Make mcmagic the Yankees GM

I'd do it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey remember that time when Fulmer went on the IL with forearm strain, then the Cubs brought him back to throw one extremely wild and clearly uncomfortable inning, and then put him back on the IL with forearm strain? Oops turns out his elbow popped:

https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/1715032130525233447

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Hey remember that time when Fulmer went on the IL with forearm strain, then the Cubs brought him back to throw one extremely wild and clearly uncomfortable inning, and then put him back on the IL with forearm strain? Oops turns out his elbow popped:

That stinks cos he’s an UFA, he’ll need to sign some cheapo two-year deal where 2024 is just rehab.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. wrong thread.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Bregor posted:

That stinks cos he’s an UFA, he’ll need to sign some cheapo two-year deal where 2024 is just rehab.

I'd like for the team to take care of him but that isn't going to happen :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Timby posted:

The Brewers' extortion attempt seems to have worked; a bill that would provide $546 million in public funding for renovations of Miller Park has passed the Wisconsin Assembly and now goes to the Senate.

$546 million in public money (plus a paltry $100 million from the Brewers) for a stadium that's 22 years old. This is bullshit.

Well, that’s bullshit. I guess they really need more luxury boxes in order to pay that massive 19/30 payroll.

Speaking of 22 year olds, some assistant from Wander’s DR winter league team said he’s welcome to join the team at any time and then the GM immediately backtracked and said we’re going through the process, respecting the investigations, etc etc. I don’t think there’s been any news about what’s going on with him.

The Rays also announced they’re firing the 1B/baserunning coach (they hosed up a lot on the bases this year) and one of the assistant hitting coaches (they don’t need three of them, apparently).

And there’s speculation that Tito wants Kevin Cash to succeed him at Cleveland, but y’all can’t have him.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

why hasn't a pitcher ever gotten a series of baseballs tattooed from the wrist to the elbow on their throwing arm?

could you imagine how much that could gently caress up a hitter

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chief McHeath posted:

why hasn't a pitcher ever gotten a series of baseballs tattooed from the wrist to the elbow on their throwing arm?

Umps would require him to cover it up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

e: wrong thread cubs cubs cubs cubs cubs cubs cubs cubs

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 20, 2023

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Intruder posted:

He'll bring new ideas like trade all your bad players for good ones

If you had that mindset as a GM, blocked incoming calls from St. Petersburg, and set the speed dials to the teams guided by active GMs who fall into the Ruben Amaro Jr, Bill Bavasi, Mark Shapiro, Dayton Moore, Neal Huntington, etc group, I think you'd be dandy.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

Umps would require him to cover it up.

is there an actual rule this would be covered under? legitimately curious

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
An awesome pitcher from the 1890s named John Clarkson once bought a huge silver belt buckle and polished the hell out of it and wore it on the mound, trying to reflect the sunlight into the batter's eyes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chief McHeath posted:

Page 19/192, rule g: https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/wqn5ah4c3qtivwx3jatm.pdf

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

An awesome pitcher from the 1890s named John Clarkson once bought a huge silver belt buckle and polished the hell out of it and wore it on the mound, trying to reflect the sunlight into the batter's eyes.

see now we're talking, how about a glove with a mylar wrap

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Please stop giving the Houston Astros ideas

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chief McHeath posted:

The Justin Miller rule!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Luigi Thirty posted:

And there’s speculation that Tito wants Kevin Cash to succeed him at Cleveland, but y’all can’t have him.

This would own immensely hard and I hope it happens even if you don't.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chief McHeath posted:

I remember in the early-mid 2000s there was some starter that the umpires made wear long sleeves because whatever tattoos he had were “distracting” but that’s probably more down to grumpy old 2000s umpires than anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember in the early-mid 2000s there was some starter that the umpires made wear long sleeves because whatever tattoos he had were “distracting” but that’s probably more down to grumpy old 2000s umpires than anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Justin Miller rule!

Justin Miller!!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Reliever, but Peter Moylan had to as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Kim Ng also declined to interview with the Red Sox for their GM position

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Kim Ng also declined to interview with the Red Sox for their GM position

Just hire Eddie Romero already Red Sox.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I am available to interview for the Red Sox job

I have a shiny new PhD degree as well

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Going from a cheap smart team to a slightly less cheap smart team feels like a lateral move.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Reliever, but Peter Moylan had to as well.

You're thinking of the wrong Justin Miller.

Justin Miller came up with the Jays as a starter in the early aughts. He was the reason MLB instituted the rule to make pitchers with full sleeve tattoos have to where a long sleeve shirt under their jersey.

He also got dared to get a I LOVE BILL KOCH tattoo on his rear end and did it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1715425117386264802

How often do teams let their manager who's under contract go to a division rival?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, that’s bullshit. I guess they really need more luxury boxes in order to pay that massive 19/30 payroll.

Speaking of 22 year olds, some assistant from Wander’s DR winter league team said he’s welcome to join the team at any time and then the GM immediately backtracked and said we’re going through the process, respecting the investigations, etc etc. I don’t think there’s been any news about what’s going on with him.

The Rays also announced they’re firing the 1B/baserunning coach (they hosed up a lot on the bases this year) and one of the assistant hitting coaches (they don’t need three of them, apparently).

Why would anyone stay with the Rays if they had any other options?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Managing the Rays is presumably one of the best jobs in baseball considering how much info they provide and how well they prepare the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1715492940116873383?t=FCjWNp9UmdcApUSejxF-QQ&s=19

Baby Jax has been in the NICU the whole season.