Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think it's more Dubas wants to fill the bottom 6 with players that have 'jam' and just don't get scored on....which might work if the top 6 is so dominant that it doesn't matter they don't score.

And never, ever works in the playoffs, where you need 3 lines that can score to win the Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhlflames/status/1715089826465378732?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Ah, a potential legal issue I wonder wh-

Daily Faceoff posted:

Calgary Flames prospect Topi Ronni is facing rape charges in Finland and has taken a leave of absence from his Finnish league club.
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/calgary-flames-prospect-topi-ronni-facing-rape-charges-in-finland

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Fits right in with this league.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Canadiens probably already called Calgary

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He can play on a line with Dubé while the league investigates.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Observation: Erik Cernak sounds a lot like Eriksson Ek.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Life is pain

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Canadiens probably already called Calgary

The way things are going, playing for the habs might be the best odds for these people to get a season ending injury

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pettersson is having a hell of a season
it's a good thing they locked him down years ago because he'd be asking for league maximum coming off of this one

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers *checks notes* Edmonton Oilers are dogshit garbage?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

Allvin is currently being restrained by staff to stop him from putting a claim in on another former Pen.

Can he play defense?

Can he play hockey?

Can he skate?

Probably better than Tyler Myers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/1715199257219604805

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pretty accurate description of the Blues this year tbh.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Are the Oilers still back (baby)...? Or did they go away again?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I see Seattle saw my post about how they needed to score more. Probably printed it out and had it hung up in the locker room.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also Pastrnak scored one of the strangest goals I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1715220350877978652?t=eD4h4n2LqEgyckPbqSytAA&s=19

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I see Seattle saw my post about how they needed to score more. Probably printed it out and had it hung up in the locker room.

really did wake em up with that post

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There is no better team in history than October Flyers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Pettersson is having a hell of a season
it's a good thing they locked him down years ago because he'd be asking for league maximum coming off of this one

It was more important to keep Tanner Pearson and OEL on the roster in years that they missed the playoffs by considerable margins each time. But yeah, Petey will be the highest paid player in the league this time next year unless he asks out entirely which is very possible.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the Avs are winning the Cup. Georgiev is winning the Vezina.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am on the Coyotes bandwagon

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm sorry the Philadelphia Flyers shut McDavid and Draisaitl down?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

is this referencing some other image? i cannot tell who that person is sitting on the arch

also congratulations on beating a bottom 7 team in the league?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's a funny old game.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

I've only been passively keeping attention due to the Phillies, but they're probably a fringe playoff team if they stay healthy, which is a humongous big "if"

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's bad enough being St. Louis (the city.... and the team) but now getting dumped on by the Arizona Coyotes?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They trapped the hell outta the Oilers and the Oilers just couldn't do anything. They had some momentum in the second and looked like they might tie it then Campbell let in a stinker for a Flyers' shortie and that was it.

Structurally the Flyers looked like a team that knows how to play defence really well though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I want to see how the Flyers look entering December before making any longer term judgements. I'm not entirely convinced this isn't solely the short term effects from being bag skated for 3 weeks

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ThinkTank posted:

the 2023 Oilers season so far in a representative video

https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1715205994114847113?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I was waiting for him to trip at the end

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was waiting for him to trip at the end

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Question for hockey/photography goons: How strict are they about bringing cameras into arenas? I have an old 35mm that would be fun to bring in to the Bell Centre tomorrow, but it's technically against the rules due to having a detachable lens. Do they actually enforce it strictly?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Question for hockey/photography goons: How strict are they about bringing cameras into arenas? I have an old 35mm that would be fun to bring in to the Bell Centre tomorrow, but it's technically against the rules due to having a detachable lens. Do they actually enforce it strictly?

I think it's a per-venue thing and even then some security people might be more strict than others. I didn't bother bringing mine to a Phillies game because it wasn't worth the possible headache of being turned away. I'd say to just check Reddit to see if people have asked about it before, and then maybe look on their website to see if any info is there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I brought an illegal interchangeable lens camera to a Flyers game and they did check but I lied about the lens being detachable and they either didn't notice the button to detach or didn't care. YMMV.

The one time I brought a lens that was too big they made me put it into a storage locker before coming back to security.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

...why are detachable lenses a big nono

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

...why are detachable lenses a big nono

The rule exists because it's easier to say no interchangeable lenses than to police specific focal lengths or zoom factors, since what they're really trying to prevent is someone bringing in a lens that can see up Sidney Crosby's nose.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They really, really care about people bringing in telephoto lenses, in case they take illegal unlicensed photos of the game and then sell them to Russian agents in back alleys, and they're not going to pat you down to check if you're trying to smuggle a 300mm lens in your underwear.

Aphrodite posted:

The rule exists because it's easier to say no interchangeable lenses than to police specific focal lengths or zoom factors, since what they're really trying to prevent is someone bringing in a lens that can see up Sidney Crosby's nose.

No, many arenas do police lenses by size so you have to be careful about that too:

quote:

Video and Audio recording devices are not permitted in the Wells Fargo Center
No professional equipment, detachable lenses, or lenses longer than 2.5” are permitted

Wells Fargo is evidently unaware that they've banned any device with a microphone or camera.

Scotibank Arena's (Leafs) NHL policy (it can vary by sport/event type too): Non-flash still photography is permitted; however, the lens must not exceed 75mm.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Slightly related, for some reason the WFC really started cracking down hard on bag size a couple of years ago. A couple of seasons ago (Alain Vignaeult's final game of all things) my wife got turned away bringing a small purse she had brought to games prior without any issue. We couldn't recall any recent scaremongering event that would've triggered it

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 20, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Harkins cleared waivers and it looks like Letang and Acciari are not going to be out with injuries after all:

https://x.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1715389854874259610?s=20

Not sure which forward they're calling up to replace Harkins though. My guess would be Zohorna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

They really, really care about people bringing in telephoto lenses, in case they take illegal unlicensed photos of the game and then sell them to Russian agents in back alleys, and they're not going to pat you down to check if you're trying to smuggle a 300mm lens in your underwear.

No, many arenas do police lenses by size so you have to be careful about that too:

Wells Fargo is evidently unaware that they've banned any device with a microphone or camera.

Scotibank Arena's (Leafs) NHL policy (it can vary by sport/event type too): Non-flash still photography is permitted; however, the lens must not exceed 75mm.

Right but that's also just more "good enough" to stop high zoom. Now that many point and shoots have zoom factors high enough to see that there is no longer a twinkle in Alex Ovechkin's eye, they want to restrict those too.

They don't actually care that the lens is interchangeable in and of itself, but they're not going to have security look through every lens people bring in.

At this point they probably can just drop the interchangeable ban and do a blanket size one though.