Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Gaetz would love to be censured, he's doing this for attention and you don't get more attention than being censured by the uniparty RINOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Starting to seem that way. I'd be hesitant to give any of them credit as "planners", but it certainly seems possible that they thought they could hijack things by torpedoing all other options. It's always worked for them before.

The reported remark that (something like) "it will either be Jordan or the moderates will grow a spine for the first time ever" seems to support this theory.

edit: lol, the GOP is holding a secret ballot that basically says "check one, should Jim Jordan drop out? (Yes/No)"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 20, 2023

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Getting Jordan elected Speaker also conveniently lets them frame this debacle as a calculated risk rather than a spiteful move. There's still a large (in terms of potential damage to the Gaetz and Friends brand, not likelihood) risk that a moderate Republican can organize a power sharing agreement with the Dems, and if that happens then the only thing ousting McCarthy achieved will have been giving the Dems a better negotiation position.

I have no idea if that was their plan A going in or if this is a backup plan invented after the fact, but I don't even know if the 8 folks who ousted McCarthy agree on why they did it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rigel posted:

I did hear one analyst on TV give an explanation (why keep humiliating Jordan?) that made sense. They basically have to show the MAGA grassroots idiots the body to prove that the swamp won't let them rule the house. They put up someone who is far deeper into Trumplandia than almost anyone else, and ostensibly tried as hard as they could to get him elected. Once the voters understand it can't happen, then maybe they could get serious?

That's the strategy of the McCarthy portion of the party. Scalise may or may not be in on that plan. It's the Thunderdome plan to prove that the HFC doesn't run Bartertown after Gaetz cut the power.

The problem is that each of the multiple factions within the party are scrambling to implement their own idiotic plans. Jordan isn't trying to help prove there's no other option, he's trying to become Speaker in the dumbest and most hamfisted way. I'm sure there's at least one or two of the relative moderate Republicans who are looking to find a way to get a deal with the Democrats to bring bills to the floor, because they want those bills to pass and it'll gently caress over the other more powerful factions if it happens.

Murgos posted:

McCarthy getting the seat back now seems like a possibility? Which is wild.

I suppose that would effectively end the house freedumb caucuses ability to demand concessions though since it's now been shown to be completely hollow and just a disaster for the republican party from pretty much every perspective.

McCarthy was always the most likely possibility to be the next Speaker of the House. Nobody else is as facile and idiotic as he to indiscriminately and gladly use the J. Wellington Wimpy strategy of "I'll gladly pay your Tuesday for a Speaker Vote today". As a result, nobody else is able to gather enough votes and he's, by virtue of already doing it before, the default best option.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

As a bonus, Gaetz's incredibly punchable face is now FAR more likely to get hit by a Republican rather than Democrat rep.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Maybe we'll get really, really lucky and five Republicans will resign in disgust (handing Democrats a majority).

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Jim Jordan is the most palatable of the MAGA crazies, so what you are seeing represents the absolute political ceiling for the HFC

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

burnishedfume posted:

Getting Jordan elected Speaker also conveniently lets them frame this debacle as a calculated risk rather than a spiteful move. There's still a large (in terms of potential damage to the Gaetz and Friends brand, not likelihood) risk that a moderate Republican can organize a power sharing agreement with the Dems, and if that happens then the only thing ousting McCarthy achieved will have been giving the Dems a better negotiation position.

I have no idea if that was their plan A going in or if this is a backup plan invented after the fact, but I don't even know if the 8 folks who ousted McCarthy agree on why they did it.

The main thing is that Gaetz's gang have always been in it primarily to warm their hands over the blazing house fire. If their spiteful tantrum happens to work out for Jordan, then they get a side win. If their spiteful tantrum is just a hiccup and McCarthy regains power, then they still got to enjoy the chaos and weaken fuckface Keven. If their spiteful tantrum happens to work out for the Democrats and a cross party deal is reached, then the only downside is that today's dumpsterfire isn't nearly as pretty as then next 14 months of bomb throwing and vile incitement they get to spew to their lunatic base.

The suicide caucus is never going to be punished for sewing chaos by their constituents, because they all reside in blood red districts where the only avenue of attack against them is that they weren't crazy enough. Everyone else may think the allied leopards aren't going to eat their face, but the suicide caucus thinks they are the leopards.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Maybe Jordan will just pretend he won the next round of voting and try to wrestle the gavel from McHenry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe we'll get really, really lucky and five Republicans will resign in disgust (handing Democrats a majority).

Starting to get more likely that five of them get assassinated

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Can the house change rules so that the speaker is changed to a triumvirate? If the left, centre and right of the house had their own speakers who could then make majority decisions among themselves none of this would have happened.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Maybe Jordan will just pretend he won the next round of voting and try to wrestle the gavel from McHenry

Jordan learned during his wrestling career that every "No" is just a "Yes" in disguise.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
In the republican conference meeting, they’ve held a secret-ballot vote as to whether Jordan should continue to be the speaker nominee. Apparently he’s lost that vote:

https://x.com/olivia_beavers/status/1715426818679881900?s=46

Who knows what’s next! Chaos continues to reign

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

smug n stuff posted:

In the republican conference meeting, they’ve held a secret-ballot vote as to whether Jordan should continue to be the speaker nominee. Apparently he’s lost that vote:

He's no longer the "official Speaker Designate" of the party now. Not like that was doing him to much good either way.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1715428015348371539

Republicans calling it quits and having a private candidate forum on Monday to help them pick new candidates again.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715428400280592786

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

smug n stuff posted:

e: Not even a majority of the majority party. New pack of idiots to lose next monday, then.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gerund posted:

Lost as in "does not get to 218", or lost as in "does not get even a majority support to continue as a Speaker Candidate"?

He lost the caucus endorsement. He can still technically have somebody throw his name out and vote for him, but a majority of the Republican caucus said they should withdraw the endorsement and he should step aside. It's not legally binding in any way, but a sign that you are pretty much doomed and roughly 2/3 of the people supporting you before were just doing it because you were the caucus designee and not because they particularly cared about you.

The first brave soul has already thrown his hat in the ring for the next round.

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1715429040046199100

Meuser is a back bencher who has only been in office since 2019.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first brave soul has already thrown his hat in the ring for the next round.

A second backbencher has hit the Speaker's race.

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1715431203275186282

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

But is he a McMuffin greaser, or a McGriddle grafter?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gently caress, just get Ryan Seacrest to fill in while they figure it out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*looking at the woodchipper that has devoured the sitting speaker and the preferred candidate of the guys who turned the woodchipper on* I like my chances in there

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mark Green now announcing he is considering a run for Speaker as well.

He is probably most famous for being Trump's Secretary of the Army nominee who had to withdraw after it came out that he said, "Transgenderism is a disease" and that he would consider disregarding the law to deny U.S. soldiers their rights as Army Secretary if they were transgender. He has also only been in Congress since 2019.

Scalise, Jordan, and McCarthy also all confirm they won't try to run again.

Very dire crop of candidates so far. None of them are likely to get anywhere close to 217 unless everyone just throws their hands up and wants to get it over with.

https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1715431579151982946

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I always appreciate the "house republicans are going home for the weekend" tweets at like 2pm Friday after another week where nothing gets done in the house

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It's the Humiliation Conga!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

*looking at the woodchipper that has devoured the sitting speaker and the preferred candidate of the guys who turned the woodchipper on* I like my chances in there

Don't forget the preferred candidate of the guys who didn't want the woodchipper turned on, he got emulsified as well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Easier would be if 8 republicans announce they are going on an extended vacation and will be back in January. Dems have the majority on the floor and can do what they want.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Murgos posted:

Easier would be if 8 republicans announce they are going on an extended vacation and will be back in January. Dems have the majority on the floor and can do what they want.

8 Republicans, you say? Sure would be a shame if the HFC all got collectively shoved into a broom closet and the door locked on them right before the vote.

Though I'd also bet on the 8 idiots holding a press conference right before the vote and losing track of time while Speaker Jeffries is voted in.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gee it really seems like a majority of the house does not want this Jim Jordan guy to be their speaker. Clearly he should keep running again.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The only potentially viable candidate that has not confirmed if they are in or out yet is Tom Emmer.

But... the same people who ousted McCarthy hate Tom Emmer because he was the caucus whip who had to count votes and bother the Freedom Caucus by yelling at them on behalf of McCarthy. He also said he wants a promotion to Majority Leader and not Speaker.

That basically means there are only two likely scenarios for next week:

1) Republicans choose some mid-level person who is inoffensive enough for everyone to throw their hands up and support just to end the whole process (I can't think of anyone who is the right combination of inoffensive, popular, and crazy to get the Freedom Caucus and McCarthy loyalists on their side).

2) Another week of chaos with nobody even close to getting the majority.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
With Powell and Chesebro (un-indicted co-conspirators 3 and 5 in the DC case) flipping how many R congressmen and senators are suddenly sweating thinking about the meetings they attended with one or both of those, what's written down and exactly what texts were sent to whom?

Speech and Debate clause is a lot of protection but there are limits and 'overthrowing the government' seems like a reach for even SCOTUS to hand wave away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apple is cancelling Jon Stewart's Apple TV show over "creative differences" after asking him to cut episodes on China and AI because they feared China would retaliate against their business and the sections on AI would hurt public perception of their multi-billion dollar investment into AI technology.

https://twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/1715442487395836141

quote:

Jon Stewart’s Show on Apple Is Ending

Jon Stewart’s show on Apple’s streaming service is abruptly coming to an end, according to several people with knowledge of the decision, the result of creative differences between the tech giant and the former “Daily Show” host.

Mr. Stewart and Apple executives decided to part ways in recent days, two of the people said. Members of the show’s staff were informed about its end on Thursday. Taping of episodes for the third season was scheduled to begin within a couple of weeks, one of the people said.

The Apple show, “The Problem With Jon Stewart,” debuted to some fanfare two years ago as Mr. Stewart’s return to the talk show format after a six-year hiatus. As host of “The Daily Show” from 1999 to 2015, he turned a low-rated Comedy Central late-night series into a cultural force, becoming one of the nation’s best-known media and political critics.

But Mr. Stewart and Apple executives had disagreements over some of the topics and guests on “The Problem,” two of the people said. Mr. Stewart told members of his staff on Thursday that potential show topics related to China and artificial intelligence were causing concern among Apple executives, a person with knowledge of the meeting said. As the 2024 presidential campaign begins to heat up, there was potential for further creative disagreements, one of the people said.

A representative for Apple declined to comment.

Apple’s foray into entertainment has raised the risk of collateral damage to its brand or estrangement of the diverse customers who buy its pricey iPhones and iPads. As of September, Apple TV+ had more than 19.8 million U.S. subscribers, according to data from the analytics firm Antenna, excluding deals with some distributors.

Delving into current events, as Mr. Stewart did on “The Problem,” could have put Apple at the center of the kinds of political and geopolitical controversies that other major corporations have confronted, including the way conservatives turned on Disney or liberals protested Starbucks over gun safety concerns. Though Apple hadn’t faced similar boycotts or criticism, the possibility was there with each episode — 20 in all.

In its two seasons, “The Problem” confronted several hot-button topics, including gun control and gender identity.

The show initially had difficulty gaining traction. By the second season, though, several interviews generated viral clips online, and the season was nominated for the outstanding talk series Emmy. (The prime-time Emmys ceremony is scheduled for Jan. 15.)

Now “The Problem” will join the many other talk shows that failed to survive in the streaming world, including ones hosted by Sarah Silverman, Norm Macdonald, Chelsea Handler and Joel McHale. Netflix, which made several attempts at a talk show, has moved on from the format.

Streaming shows usually depend on a significant shelf life, whereas cable and network talk shows lean on the urgency of a topical news cycle.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Wow apple has shows

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Stewart is a land of contrast and while he has fairly normal non regressive views, not sure what he can add to AI chat, sucks that apple is still bending the knee to China.

lol when China kicks them out and start producing suss good clones of apple stuff.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/mariannareports/status/1715405269591597410?s=61&t=2Pb_yZHE_WtRgW6aimKvWQ

this is the saddest leverage they have, basically telling the gop conference they can punish them any way they see fit (which will only increase their conservative cred) for making Jordan speaker

Even funnier is that Ken Buck didnt actually sign that, and has not voted for Jondan.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's going to be a loving clown car of a vote on Monday
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715446501579604380

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Piell posted:

It's going to be a loving clown car of a vote on Monday
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1715446501579604380

If Tom Emmer is in, then he is instantly the clear favorite. The problem is that he probably has the same 10+ holdouts that were anti-McCarthy.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If we just let every rep be speaker for a day, that should get us most of the way through the term

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dubar posted:

If we just let every rep be speaker for a day, that should get us most of the way through the term

I wish they could do that and release a schedule. I would consider taking the day off work for MTG day.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

If Tom Emmer is in, then he is instantly the clear favorite. The problem is that he probably has the same 10+ holdouts that were anti-McCarthy.

Everyone is going to put their name forward simply on the hopes of being THAT ONE PERSON everyone will finally agree on. Everyone is competing to be the least disliked in the room.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/GOPoversight/status/1715435217115087020?t=HVX7LXBP0mndf13PP-nRHA&s=19

I hesitate to ever link these clowns, but I'm curious if anyone has seen any pushback on this matter?

If they're wrong it'll be because the evidence is fake and massively embarassing. If they're right it is, admittley, a very bad look for Biden.

To be clear it isn't a fraction of what they've accused and it happened while he was out of office, but it does seem sketch.

Edit': oh okay nm looked a bit more and a massive nothing burger. James Biden owed Joe that money because Joe had let him the money previously.

Still gross influence peddling on James Biden's behalf but nothing beyond normal gross nepotism that is human nature.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 20, 2023