Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The only real problem I have with VI's aesthetic is how much less readable hill tiles are than they were in V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civ VI's aesthetic is a great indication of how seriously they took the game as a whole.

If we don't see a more serious tone in the first looks of VII then we can know it's going to be garbage.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Counterpoint: civ VI's aesthetic is the best one since 2

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I only ever play in 2D view with leader animations disabled, so personally I don't really care what the next Civ (or this Civ or the last Civ for that matter) has as its aesthetic choice so long as there's a clean enough board game look that shows the mechanically relevant stuff.

The only thing I don't really like is that the 3D view does have some actual gameplay advantages like seeing other people's rough wonder progress if you can see the tile.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 20, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah districts were a kind of neat idea but very flawed. My big issues with them:

-You can't move, remove, or replace them at all. Once you start building one, it's there for the rest of the game.
-It destroys everything underneath them and removes all terrain yields. Why? City centers don't do this.
-You also can't build them on top of luxury or strategic resources for some reason. Which can be insanely frustrating when strategic resources don't appear until you unlock them. Did you settle a city that needs a specific tile for an aqueduct? Whoops, there's niter in that tile now. Too bad!
-Adjacencies are kind of a neat puzzle but eventually the best solution becomes "gently caress it".
-District buildings are boring. A library is +2 science. A university is +4 science. A research lab is +8 science. Wow.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

whatever they do, the Civ 5 UI mod will be once again one of the most popular

The Civ V terrain mod is a must

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've always felt it would be more interesting if district buildings either 1) allowed districts to gain adjacency from tiles further away, or 2) didn't offer many yields themselves but had more pop slots for yields or massively increased the yields of pops working the district.

The first would be something like plopping a research campus on the coast can get adjacency from one tile away. So if there is a reef touching the coast there's an adjacency bonus. Build a library and now everything within two tiles counts for adjacency and now reef squares one tile off the coast can contribute adjacency to your campus. Building a research lab in a district nestled between a coast and a mountain range now gives a massive yield boost because even more reefs and mountains are included from the surrounding four tiles. Throw in some on map art at each level dropping buildings reflecting the increased work range to really make cities seem denser and more exploitive of terrain as the eras advance.

The second is meant to reflect urbanization in the industrial era. Building a factory in your industrial district doesn't do a lot on its own, but pack it with 4-6 pops and suddenly you're pumping out a bunch of hammers. Suddenly you want the techs to make you're farms more efficient so you can tear down your fields of adjacent farms, drop neighborhoods, and get compared to the previous eras crazy high population numbers to work your factories and powerplants and shipyards and commercial districts.

Obviously neither is balanced at all right now but that's the gist of it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah districts were a kind of neat idea but very flawed. My big issues with them:

-You can't move, remove, or replace them at all. Once you start building one, it's there for the rest of the game.
-It destroys everything underneath them and removes all terrain yields. Why? City centers don't do this.
-You also can't build them on top of luxury or strategic resources for some reason. Which can be insanely frustrating when strategic resources don't appear until you unlock them. Did you settle a city that needs a specific tile for an aqueduct? Whoops, there's niter in that tile now. Too bad!
-Adjacencies are kind of a neat puzzle but eventually the best solution becomes "gently caress it".
-District buildings are boring. A library is +2 science. A university is +4 science. A research lab is +8 science. Wow.

Far and away the biggest issue with districts. I'm fine with them being immovable and irreplaceable, but yeah why the hell would some amber or tobacco prevent me from building a campus???

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Judgy Fucker posted:

Far and away the biggest issue with districts. I'm fine with them being immovable and irreplaceable, but yeah why the hell would some amber or tobacco prevent me from building a campus???

Especially since city centers are just fine. Or campuses that were zoned before the strategic resource was found, even if exactly zero cogs have been spent to actually build anything.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

why the hell would some amber or tobacco prevent me from building a campus???

it's like they never went to college

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

This is the best example of how little the game respects itself and the player. It expects me to plan out my cities, but if I do, it punishes me by putting an unremovable niter in a key spot. All my work, that the game encouraged me to do, is ruined.

Every mechanic in this game is parasitic, indifferent, or contradictory to every other mechanic. I'd say to such a degree that some may not even call it a mess. More like a piece of art intended to annoy. A 4x Bastard Tetris.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Human Crouton posted:

A 4x Bastard Tetris.

Like when you spring to the aid of your ally who has been invaded; only the alliance expires halfway through your campaign, instantly teleporting your dudes halfway back across the map. The first you'll hear of this is when your beloved former ally pops up to shake their finger at you and demand you remove your troops from their borders.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 24, 2023

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve been thinking about making a serious attempt at a X4 game (never really got more than 20 minutes in one) and I know Civilization is the go to but should I spend my valuable time learning Civ 5 or 6?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Civ 6 has a lot more complexity. Also, there's this meta thing about Civ 5 where 4 cities is the "ideal" amount of cities to have, so it's a lot less mental bandwidth needed. Give Civ 5 a try and once you start find it too predictable, jump over to Civ 6, IMO.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pooperscooper posted:

I’ve been thinking about making a serious attempt at a X4 game (never really got more than 20 minutes in one) and I know Civilization is the go to but should I spend my valuable time learning Civ 5 or 6?

If you've played only a little of either, it's hard to write up something meaningful.

So generically, they both play similar. The mechanics are similar enough that V players could jump into VI and understand the game immediately. I however, find that VI does EVERY mechanic in an inferior way.

The high level difference is that VI requires a lot more attention than V.

In VI, you'll be doing some kind of reassignment every turn. Maybe a spy, or a trade route, or a governor; something will either ask you to move or should be moved to specific hexes every turn. There are things called Eurekas, which give you science boosts on a per technology basis. You'll be making sure you build a ship before you research X to get the booster for X, kill a enemy archer before you research Y to get the booster for Y in order to make sure you get the bonus. You'll be in a constant race to perform any number of specific, unrelated actions throughout the whole game lest you enter a dark age. You will spend a lot of time doing a lot of things that aren't related to your main goal.

In V, you will be bothered much less with picking specific units to go to specific hexes unless you are at war.

If you go with VI, and you like bones but hate the game, then try V.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 24, 2023

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kalko posted:

I don't think it was ever explicitly stated but I've always assumed they did those expensive 3D leader models and screens because they double as a marketing tool (or maybe that was the primary motivation for making them). It's the same reason a lot of games (Civ included) spend money on fancy cinematic intros; those things are definitely marketing tools first and foremost.

If you're showing off Civ 6 in a short video advertisement it makes sense to have something that looks more engaging than a montage of game maps with nothing to break it up, and those screens make it look like there's another dimension to the game beyond staring at those maps all the time.

why did they make them look repulsive then

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Human Crouton posted:

In VI, you'll be doing some kind of reassignment every turn. Maybe a spy, or a trade route, or a governor; something will either ask you to move or should be moved to specific hexes every turn. There are things called Eurekas, which give you science boosts on a per technology basis. You'll be making sure you build a ship before you research X to get the booster for X, kill a enemy archer before you research Y to get the booster for Y in order to make sure you get the bonus. You'll be in a constant race to perform any number of specific, unrelated actions throughout the whole game lest you enter a dark age. You will spend a lot of time doing a lot of things that aren't related to your main goal.

This is my main beef with Civ 6 and why I went back to Civ 5. The longer you play the game, the more it turns into a cookie clicker type phone game.

I still have around 900 hours in Civ 6 though. I also find Civ 5 (and Civ 4 even more) to be much more suitable for roleplaying, which is my preferred way of playing.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

To make you want to see the nukes flying in-game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

to fit the asset budged to tablets and presumedly phones

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Civ VI is the superior game with all DLC. Thinking about what the base game launched without in hindsight is pretty nuts as with any Civ launch. V was the same way.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd say civ 6 probably is superior on balance, but it's also fiddly as gently caress. If that is someone's entry into 4x (the genre as a whole, not just the civ series) then they're going to bounce off hard and never play a 4x again.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I can see it being fiddly like district placement and such but a lot of that is doing things super optimized. On Prince you can just plop districts down wherever they look pretty and be fine.

Oh another pet peeve I have is doing the victory lap and having a list of 20 greyed out wonders I can never build because I wasn’t a Pell grant recipient who started a small business which operated in a disadvantaged community for 3 years.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I also think Civ 6 is superior

But for someone completely new to the series, I would recommend starting with 5

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one of the many things that I really like is the chance to get random Fallen Empire-likes: Babylon, Colombia or the wrong Hawaii will make your game feel drastically different, especially concerning at what range from you they spawn

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I haven’t played Civ V in a while but my recollection is that the leaders and civs in 6 are also a lot more unique allowing more replay ability. Kind of a game full of Venices.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tom Tucker posted:

Civ VI is the superior game with all DLC. Thinking about what the base game launched without in hindsight is pretty nuts as with any Civ launch. V was the same way.

Honestly I wouldn't miss much. Governors, ages, climate change and other disasters are all just unnecessary bloat imho. Best things the expansions add are some balance changes like aqueducts giving major adjacency to industrial zones. The optional modes are nice, but definitely not for every game. I'm also not convinced BNW actually made Civ5 better than G&K, just different.

(ofc the actual Civ6 launch was an unpolished mess, but it was fine by the time the first expansion released IIRC)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Districts, ages, loyalty pressure, climate change, and disasters are my favorite parts of 6, even if they need a balance pass or three. I've struggled to go back and play V or Beyond Earth because the map feels so unalive and static. I hope disasters and loyalty pressure in particular make it into 7.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just want a good revolution/rebellion mechanic, branching off into new civs etc...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I think climate change is a good mechanic in theory but, again, the execution in 6 is total poo poo. It's pathetically easy to build sea walls in all pertinent cities because they're extremely cheap and they insulate you from about 90% of the consequences of climate change. So yeah, you just build one city center building and can pump as much carbon as you want into the atmosphere, no biggie. And that's not even taking the carbon recapture projects into account.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah all the features that impact the map are the things I think they got mostly right and I’d love to see return. Watching yields change as rivers flood and forests burn and volcanoes go off etc. really tickles my desire for incrementing numbers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Nthing that I far prefer Civ 6, but it's also got way more doodads than Civ 5 which probably makes Civ 5 a better choice for a newcomer to 4Xs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I started Civ with V and I turned out perfectly fine!

In all seriousness going from VI to V as a new player would likely not be nearly as fun and cool as going V to VI, and the complete Civ V has to be pretty cheap even not during a sale.

I really miss mobile ocean cities from BERT and wish there was a way to have that and districts. I think a lot of the appeal was what others are talking about, having a systematized way for the map to change.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My main complaint with V is just how it encourages you to have only a handful of cities. If there's a mod out there that fixes that to actually let you settle more freely, I'd totally go back and give V another shot.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eimi posted:

My main complaint with V is just how it encourages you to have only a handful of cities. If there's a mod out there that fixes that to actually let you settle more freely, I'd totally go back and give V another shot.

Honestly just play the Vox Populi overhaul. I think it’s the best that Civ has ever been especially as a strategy game as the AI is actually fairly good. All sorts of strategies are viable and many of the civs are more differentiated than is vanilla (esp if you play the 3rd/4th unique components sub-mod).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm likely in a pretty small minority here but I'd suggest IV instead of V or VI. Even less complicated than V with V's culture trees etc, and I find the UI clearer. Plus V's balancing tends to push you towards a specific playstyle. And better mod support, if you start with V you miss out on FFH2.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Staltran posted:

I'm likely in a pretty small minority here but I'd suggest IV instead of V or VI. Even less complicated than V with V's culture trees etc, and I find the UI clearer. Plus V's balancing tends to push you towards a specific playstyle. And better mod support, if you start with V you miss out on FFH2.

IV was an awesome game, arguably the best in the entire series, but it's another that I think is probably more aimed at veteran 4x players.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Anno posted:

Yeah all the features that impact the map are the things I think they got mostly right and I’d love to see return. Watching yields change as rivers flood and forests burn and volcanoes go off etc. really tickles my desire for incrementing numbers.

They can get a little amusing. In one game I found Eyjafjallajökull, and toward the end of the game the tiles around it each had like 12 food and 18 production. Magma is good for the soil's mineral content, sure, but at that point it feels like the devs think volcanoes in Iceland just throw hamburgers and machine tools directly out of the earth and into your houses and factories.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Staltran posted:

I'm likely in a pretty small minority here but I'd suggest IV .... I find the UI clearer.

Definitely a minority opinion :colbert:

Are there any really good UI overhaul mods for Civ 4? I've played a fair bit, and would like to play more of it, but I just find it all a bit fiddly, especially army stack management (and text without backgrounds so it just blends into the map)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really wish the music was better in 6. There are so few tracks and the game just plays them over and over and over and over. The same song in five slightly different styles is still the same loving song! It's so repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Microplastics posted:

Definitely a minority opinion :colbert:

Are there any really good UI overhaul mods for Civ 4? I've played a fair bit, and would like to play more of it, but I just find it all a bit fiddly, especially army stack management (and text without backgrounds so it just blends into the map)

BUG's pretty good.