Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the only complaint I've had recently is that the last t-shirt I got was one of those stiff boxy ones, but it looks like he's advertising better shirts now so that may be a fixed issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

RocketMermaid posted:

Man, our webcomic's store has a PASSWORD?! That is JAMES BOND IN A TOWEL!

Scags McDouglas posted:

I assume it's ok to post this off of the Patreon?

https://achewood-holiday-pop-up.myshopify.com/

password "entropy1"

And oh my god the rabbit ambulance shirt is back! I saw a guy at a party wearing that at least 17 years ago and we were instant best friends.

Thanks, password protecting a merch shop is a really strange decision, like I wouldn't have even bothered with whatever hoops there are to look at it if you didn't post the password. Then again, I probably wouldn't have known it existed either, so no real loss, but putting am extra roadblock between yourself and your customers giving you money perplexes me. I didn't get anything, but I at least wanted to see if there was anything I wanted, and I know it's lazy, but it's pretty easy to convince me "I guess I don't need that" with online stuff.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Twenty Four posted:

Thanks, password protecting a merch shop is a really strange decision, like I wouldn't have even bothered with whatever hoops there are to look at it if you didn't post the password. Then again, I probably wouldn't have known it existed either, so no real loss, but putting am extra roadblock between yourself and your customers giving you money perplexes me. I didn't get anything, but I at least wanted to see if there was anything I wanted, and I know it's lazy, but it's pretty easy to convince me "I guess I don't need that" with online stuff.

it's a "soft launch", i assume onstad doesn't mind if someone who doesn't sub to the patreon gives him money for a t-shirt before everyone is able to

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

more falafel please posted:

it's a "soft launch", i assume onstad doesn't mind if someone who doesn't sub to the patreon gives him money for a t-shirt before everyone is able to

I suppose, I just don't see the benefit unless it's not print on demand and there's a supply issue, which would be better served with a "sold out" sign when that happens. I'm not mad or anything, it's just weird I guess, unless I'm missing something. All is well, though.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I assume putting a roadblock between the customers and the sales is the point so Onstad can keep early numbers low while he's still setting up shop, and only people who are already invested in giving him money can see the place

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I'm cool with paying a Patreon sub for the comic, but I don't blame anybody for being justifiably leery of ordering any physical merchandise given the shoddy track record.

It does seem like he's selling actual, tangible things this time but I am kinda curious about about the legality of then vs now. For instance if you pre-order a digital cookbook and are made to wait after the chargeback window, I guess you're hosed? This was obviously conducted in such a way that he kept the money, which is why it's one of this thread's touchier subjects. Maybe there needed to be a class action lawsuit.

Now if I bought something and it hit like day 50 I'd chargeback the absolute balls off of him. (But it does seem like he honors things these days and that this is sincere).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have chosen to Bolieve in Onstad and have purchased material objects bearing webcomic content.

I may regift the pint glass tho

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I generally quit doing business with people who have pulled chargeback-level fraud in the past, as even in a best case scenario clawing that money back is still a hassle

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Javid posted:

I generally quit doing business with people who have pulled chargeback-level fraud in the past, as even in a best case scenario clawing that money back is still a hassle

Yeah and that's part of the more philosophical point I was making. We used to be children reading this (college aged children) so we'd all take it as a loss over the fraud. Now we're all grown rear end adults... probably... which makes us tougher to fleece but also (in 2023) has lowered the barrier of expended energy on a dispute 'cause I'd just log in to my CC site and take the funds back in like 15 seconds. I do however think he's legit selling stuff this time and at worst, will keep taking orders after running out.

Conclusion:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect the secret password shop is also because he can likely count the number of people in his Patreon (and thus proven Fans, and also Unwise with Money) and if he sells out, he knows to reorder and then open it to the Pats and Emerils of the world.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I figured he was just doing the password thing to stress test the store to make sure it doesn't implode on being opened to the wider public

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Scags McDouglas posted:

It does seem like he's selling actual, tangible things this time but I am kinda curious about about the legality of then vs now. For instance if you pre-order a digital cookbook and are made to wait after the chargeback window, I guess you're hosed? This was obviously conducted in such a way that he kept the money, which is why it's one of this thread's touchier subjects. Maybe there needed to be a class action lawsuit.

Now if I bought something and it hit like day 50 I'd chargeback the absolute balls off of him. (But it does seem like he honors things these days and that this is sincere).

To be fair to Onstad, I think the Patreon is actually the most tangible value out of everything he's offering. The comic's return has been solid and I definitely think I'm getting my money's worth with the 9 bucks tier for the weekly comics and writings, even though I've probably reached critical mass of monthly subscriptions at this point. I'm personally not comfortable ordering anything that requires more fulfillment than that, but hey maybe the new printshop stuff and whatnot will make it easier for him to get stuff out to customers this time.

I'm happy enough to support the guy with the subscription and hope that the Patreon model is the missing piece of the puzzle that allows him to finally make a decent living from Achewood.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

more falafel please posted:

I mean it’s beef’s password. If he rly wanted it gated (I can see an argument for why, maybe he intended to give patrons early access as a soft launch and/or subscriber perk) he should’ve picked a less obvious pw

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022
I will say I've ordered a handful of merch over the last couple years and have not been dong razzled. Nothing in the current shop appeals to me but I've got faith that he has unfucked himself.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean it’s beef’s password. If he rly wanted it gated (I can see an argument for why, maybe he intended to give patrons early access as a soft launch and/or subscriber perk) he should’ve picked a less obvious pw

you could drive a bus through these security holes, all honking and dragging a bunch of rusty bikes

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ok Comboomer posted:

Maybe he did, and then a cat changed his password.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was not invested in the cookbook preorder so I don't have that axe to grind against the man, but my attempts to pay money for his soda products have not given me cause to think much better of his reliability than that, either.

For his sake I do hope he has found the right lamp to sit under that lets him bite all the way through the toast on delivering a physical product. your service in rolling the dice for us on the first wave is appreciated

e: the soda is actually good when I can physically acquire it :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Javid posted:

I was not invested in the cookbook preorder so I don't have that axe to grind against the man, but my attempts to pay money for his soda products have not given me cause to think much better of his reliability than that, either.

For his sake I do hope he has found the right lamp to sit under that lets him bite all the way through the toast on delivering a physical product. your service in rolling the dice for us on the first wave is appreciated

e: the soda is actually good when I can physically acquire it :(

well he’s got whatever strain golden tabloid is supposed to be IRL now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Breast Man was entropy9 you hacks

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

a closer reading reveals it was
code:
entropy9.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Turns out entropy1 is the password for Hole Men.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nessus posted:

phone call from a fireman

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

My t-shirt order shipped and was scanned in Portland yesterday. :shrug:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I was trying to find the strip where Doc Andretti prescribes Ray with medication for his piss shivers and found what appears to be Oh No Robot vandalism? lmao

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pentaro posted:

I was trying to find the strip where Doc Andretti prescribes Ray with medication for his piss shivers and found what appears to be Oh No Robot vandalism? lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
You emotional thimble! You spit-once-and-gently caress Romeo!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, fake Balenciagas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Words I never thought I would type: hell yeah, get 'im Pat

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

withak posted:

Oh poo poo, fake Balenciagas.

GASP!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It's time for Pat to unleash his true form

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

moot the hopple posted:

It's time for Pat to unleash his true form

FILTER > OTHER > MAPPLETHORPE

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

NGL I don't know poo poo about fashion, and the first time Balenciagas came up I googled it and thought Ray was talking about his shoes.

Still pretty much following concept clues that Zenni is worse.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

NGL I don't know poo poo about fashion, and the first time Balenciagas came up I googled it and thought Ray was talking about his shoes.

Still pretty much following concept clues that Zenni is worse.

Zenni is an internet vendor for cheap eyeglasses. Balenciagas is, as far as I can tell, what rich people spend their money on, eyeglass-wise. Ray is horrified that his new guru is a Poor.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

balenciaga specifically is for when you want to make it very clear that you're not wearing these shoes/sunglasses/whatever because they're Good or Look Good, but because they're so ostentatiously expensive that you're making a point that you can afford them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strange Cares posted:

Zenni is an internet vendor for cheap eyeglasses. Balenciagas is, as far as I can tell, what rich people spend their money on, eyeglass-wise. Ray is horrified that his new guru is a Poor.

Ray does not care if you're poor - see Beef - but he does get offended if you have Low Tastes but you're fronting like you're a player. Remember Bensington Butters and the whole thing with Hanna-Barbera characters and Hunt's Ketchup.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ray asked the man if he had Balenciegas.

He affirmed that he did.

He has now Lied to Ray.

That's gonna be a problem.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phy posted:

Ray does not care if you're poor - see Beef - but he does get offended if you have Low Tastes but you're fronting like you're a player. Remember Bensington Butters and the whole thing with Hanna-Barbera characters and Hunt's Ketchup.

Ray is a land of contrasts.

Lyle does not have health insurance, so everyone should go and "[sin against their own bodies.]"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ray has no truck with rich people who are cheap. What is the point of money except to spend it on yourself and your guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
And honestly even if you're poor there are just some things where there's a minimum baseline quality you should aim for, like 2 ply toilet paper or actual Oreos and not other company's sad sorry attempts at imitating them