Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

You could ChatGPT half the loving journo articles, that’s for sure.

About 75% of articles are just reddit, twitter or pinterest posts with a bit of commentary in between repeating exactly what is on the tweet / redd / pin

The Class 195 units are a DMU fleet built by CAF, based on their Civity platform, in their factory in Irun, Spain.

They will be used on the Northern Connect services out of Manchester Airport and Chester or Ellesmere.

The units have open gangways for improved passenger movement and security, high acceleration for improved journey times, hydro-dynamic braking, air conditioning and WiFi throughout, they also have a seat reservation system with en-route update capability

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About 75% of articles are just reddit, twitter or pinterest posts with a bit of commentary in between repeating exactly what is on the tweet / redd / pin

Sounds like i am missing absolutely nothing from the media, sweet. :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tesseraction posted:

Oh Scientastic I was rereading the old goldmine chili thread and still guffaw out loud at your primo shitposting in it.

Jesus, that thread is from before my kids were born, now I feel really old

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Scientastic posted:

What a bunch of unambitious wets. They could make some genuinely radical changes to the way we function as a country, but instead they prefer to pretend that capital can only be apportioned by the Tories, and that investing in infrastructure and people isn't a net gain. Cunts.

NO everything is working fine for everyone and we just need to be concerned with stopping ne'erdowells smoking naughty drugs and fining people more harshly for dog dirt

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and supporting the genocide of palestinians

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have to take a tape measure to their making GBS threads dogs first, prison for them then. Well mobile classrooms because we ran out of prison.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

in their factory in Irun
We du not uppruve uff oyutulluhs

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Maybe you could convince people to replace Tory blowhards with chat gpt. Probably has better alignment with human morality.

Oh yeah no, it definitely does sometimes. This is what it told me when I asked only a few days into the conflict (it's the web-enabled bing version).

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
American who hasn't paid attention to UK politics for a while, so I apologize for asking but is Lib Dem now centrist between Lab and Tory or are they ideologically to the left? I seemed to remember them kinda filling in that worker's party hole to the left of organized Labour but I could just be confusing them now with the NDP in Canada.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely I don't think the lib dems exist enough that anyone could tell you.

The lib dems of the coalition era were at historic highs in their popularity and (IMO) riding the wave of Charlie Kennedy who was something of a media figure in the way that Boris was.

Now they're still tainted by the coalition itself and they're doing a similar thing to the tories in recycling their established leaders who are all right wing ghouls.

They were never really a left wing party, just verbally better on civil liberties than New Labour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think that having a leader who was fully into Alex Jones style "water companies are turning the frogs gay" and "the gospels are all first hand records even the ones that say they aren't" ruined them a bit.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lib dems are the teacher DJing at the school disco and taking it really too seriously of UK politics imo

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

OwlFancier posted:

The lib dems of the coalition era were at historic highs in their popularity and (IMO) riding the wave of Charlie Kennedy who was something of a media figure in the way that Boris was.

Now they're still tainted by the coalition itself and they're doing a similar thing to the tories in recycling their established leaders who are all right wing ghouls.

They were never really a left wing party, just verbally better on civil liberties than New Labour.

Yeah, last time I had really followed I remembered they were in a coalition with the Tories which is like... "them?"

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It helps to understand that the orange book lib dems are hyper neoliberals economically speaking and... not really very committed to civil liberties? Like you really can't be if you are pro taking away everything that capitalism demands you take away to maximise profit and facilitate the whims of the people with all the money.

So it's like an economically right wing party with a subset of people who are sort of OK with the gays and maybe not particularly keen on banning the wrong kind of maths and laser scanning yoothes skulls to figure out if they're prone to doing weed crimes. And then they went into coalition and sold out all of the younger voters and members who were drawn to them for the tuition fees thing and the better social elements by propping up the tories on everything and abandoning any policy someone might have liked them for. And then they elected "gay frogs" tim farron which, lol, lmao.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

So I'd slightly disagree with this. I think Charles Kennedy's Lib Dems were...probably not economically that different to New Labour (I'd say slightly left but only slightly). What got them to the result they got in '05 was Iraq. They were the only big party to oppose it. AND they opposed the resulting civil rights fuckery New Labour worshipped while the Tories broadly supported it (David Davis aside).

Where as now the Liberals kind of...do nothing? The Orange Bookers won and it turns out if people want right libertarian policy they just vote Tory

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Jesus, that thread is from before my kids were born, now I feel really old

"Kids, behold my calcified shitposts and despair. Or do better."

Dinner is chili with pasta sheets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

So I'd slightly disagree with this. I think Charles Kennedy's Lib Dems were...probably not economically that different to New Labour (I'd say slightly left but only slightly). What got them to the result they got in '05 was Iraq. They were the only big party to oppose it. AND they opposed the resulting civil rights fuckery New Labour worshipped while the Tories broadly supported it (David Davis aside).

Where as now the Liberals kind of...do nothing? The Orange Bookers won and it turns out if people want right libertarian policy they just vote Tory

When I say Kennedy I mean more that he was on stuff like HIGNFY, he was a pretty personable character especially for a politician, and I think that probably did a lot to make them seem appealing as a party. I think there was probably a similar effect to what Johnson got, if you can get a joke in and not seem like a complete freak of nature that puts you ahead of a lot of people in politics.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Lib Dems might be our most progressive party right now but it's impossible to tell because if you try and observe them your eyes slide right off them

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

When I say Kennedy I mean more that he was on stuff like HIGNFY, he was a pretty personable character especially for a politician, and I think that probably did a lot to make them seem appealing as a party.

It probably helped that he was piss-drunk most of the time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would you not be if you were the leader of the lib dems?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Always liked Kennedy.
Seems to me he actually generated momentum in the party, building it up.

Sad that he died and the remnants was left to asses like Lembik Opik.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
started playing the new spiderman game and busted out laughing at Uncle Ben's unfortunate resemblance

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
with great power comes great responsibility to do absolutely nothing with it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dabir posted:

The Lib Dems might be our most progressive party right now but it's impossible to tell because if you try and observe them your eyes slide right off them

One of the most bizarre premises of quantum theory, which has long fascinated philosophers and physicists alike, states that by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

Liberal stuff:

Back in the 70s when the earth was young, the Liberal party was in the public conscience comprised of sandal-wearing, beardy wierdy, knit your own muesli types.

Peter Hain was Chair, had wild curly hair and as an avid Anti-Apartheid supporter was stitched up by South African security who sent him a letter bomb that failed to explode. He was also one of the founders of the Anti-Nazi League (popular when I was at uni). I remember seeing him on tv on some political chat show or other. Yes it's the same Peter Hain who ended up in the Labour Party.

Then the whole Jeremy Thorpe / Norman Scott scandal broke late 70s. Thorpe (leader of Lib party) was accused of conspiring to murder his former boyfriend Norman Scott but was acquitted. However in the aftermath he quit politics.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Apraxin posted:

started playing the new spiderman game and busted out laughing at Uncle Ben's unfortunate resemblance

KEITH x K.BARLOW COLLAB

Story; I once got hired by an ‘animal psychic’ to interview Ken Barlow’ dead dog (or rather film her doing it). First though we went to some nobody’s house to do the same thing, she saw the raw footage, was amazed it didn’t look like on telly and she didn’t look young, and tried to pay me half my fee. I told her it had had no post-production, and in any case I’m not a magician and can’t make her look 25 again, pay me my full fee and gently caress off. She paid and I never talked to her again. That’s my nearly meeting ken Barlow story

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 20, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Then the whole Jeremy Thorpe / Norman Scott scandal broke late 70s. Thorpe (leader of Lib party) was accused of conspiring to murder his former boyfriend Norman Scott but was acquitted. However in the aftermath he quit politics.

There's a good miniseries on this one. 'A Very English Scandal'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

There's a good miniseries on this one. 'A Very English Scandal'.

Not heard of that! Is it on catch ups at all?

nevermind found it on BBC iplayer!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The podcast “British Scandal” did a 5 part series on it too.

First one at https://overcast.fm/+tK8MTUMHA

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1715444454302040097
https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1715447092838055981

:toot:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not heard of that! Is it on catch ups at all?

nevermind found it on BBC iplayer!

It's great fun, Hugh Grant has a field day with Thorpe's sliminess.

Odd Liberal factoid: Shetland has been an almost safe Liberal seat since the mid nineteenth century, except for a Tory between 1935 and 1950.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1715363970381435162

I bet Keith is a terrible poker player

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the most bizarre premises of quantum theory, which has long fascinated philosophers and physicists alike, states that by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.
It's wrong anyway, my cat knows when you're looking at him, even if you're doing it from a top floor window.

Schrödinger's problem solved. Simple as.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think you'd get a kick out of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXTPe3wahc

It is a very good video and does a pretty good job of explaining quantum mechanics even if you reject the clickbait title

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ yeah I follow that Veritasium guy. Pretty good vids.

Guavanaut posted:

It's wrong anyway, my cat knows when you're looking at him, even if you're doing it from a top floor window.

Schrödinger's problem solved. Simple as.

Schrodinger's cat plots its revenge:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 20, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

u lookin @ erwin?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As usual tend to avoid posting this arsehole but if he really did only sell 390 books then lmao https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1715139563885080619

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The world's saddest story

For sale: 3110 books, signed glinner

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
I'll vote for labour as soon as their public messaging is brave enough to move past trying to assuage the stupid retrograde fears of every pearl-clutching Tory landlord scumbag gently caress in the South Downs. Keith and his briefcase squad are the polar opposite of that tendency, and if elected will preside over five years of things getting slightly less bad, at the absolute best, before the wonderfully informed, thoughtful and intelligent British electorate decide that they actually want full-fat neoliberal fascism after all and voting in an unassailable Tory majority for another couple of decades

tldr Gordon Brown was right, she was a bigoted woman, and her not realising that didn't make her any less of a bigot

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My regular order of shrooms to NI is now coming through Ireland's An Post postal service. Something something Irish Sea Border, Brexit benefits.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

dadrips posted:

I'll vote for labour as soon as their public messaging is brave enough to move past trying to assuage the stupid retrograde fears of every pearl-clutching Tory landlord scumbag gently caress in the South Downs. Keith and his briefcase squad are the polar opposite of that tendency, and if elected will preside over five years of things getting slightly less bad, at the absolute best, before the wonderfully informed, thoughtful and intelligent British electorate decide that they actually want full-fat neoliberal fascism after all and voting in an unassailable Tory majority for another couple of decades

tldr Gordon Brown was right, she was a bigoted woman, and her not realising that didn't make her any less of a bigot

UK Parliamentary democracy: Why vote for the lesser of two evils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/propagandopolis/status/1706740575024640346?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg