Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Flair posted:

Dishonored if you want stealth

The Ascent looks interesting for a shooter
The Ascent feels like "way better than it has any right to be". Pretty detailed violent cyberpunk world, some RPG elements.

It feels like a modern take on Crusader: No Remorse to me in a lot of ways.

I hit a boss though where I'm either not skilled enough or the balance is rough. (The spider robot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I used a wired 360 controller for over 10 years before the drift made me buy an 8bitdo ultimate. The D-pad is my only complaint, but coming off the 360 controller, even that is an improvement.

Anyways,

Why the heck is there an ignore publisher function if it's still going to show me huge ads for that publisher's games, just greyed out a little with a "YOU IGNORED THIS" banner?
Like just don't show me the poo poo, that's the point.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If I had to guess, the place where those filters work are dynamicly generated searches and queues and stuff. A hand picked banner needs to have something there. I suppose they could just leave it blank but I'm guessing it would just result in complaints about steam being broken. They could also just have alternatives for people who blocked it, but then how many alternatives should they have

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My favorite Steam ad failure is when they show you a promotion for something that you already have in your cart:

So the ad system is aware of what you have in your cart, but rather than just excluding those items, they made a special banner to indicate that you've already got it in your cart. I would love to know the process that went into launching that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

The Ascent feels like "way better than it has any right to be". Pretty detailed violent cyberpunk world, some RPG elements.

I hit a boss though where I'm either not skilled enough or the balance is rough. (The spider robot.)

The Ascent started off great but kinda overstayed its welcome a little bit for me. Not much depth to character building and you have so much cash you can just fast travel everywhere for like the last half / quarter of the game. I don't know if it's a $30 game, but it's probably worth any sale price IMO.

edit - RE: stick drift chat, use the real PC gamer's input devices :smugdog:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rinkles posted:

careful when buying the Ultimate controller because there's quite a few models, all with different pricing and feature sets.

So, aside from colors, which are the best ones to look for? My Xbox One controller has a sticky shoulder button that is really annoying me so I'm looking at replacing it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Last time we had controller chat, I went with the 8Bitdo Ultimate.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B9BDMWWN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's been pretty freakin' sweet. The only part I didn't take into consideration is that the buttons are labeled Switch style, and I'd have to buy a different set to get them to match the PC/x-box.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

skeletronics posted:

Why the heck is there an ignore publisher function if it's still going to show me huge ads for that publisher's games, just greyed out a little with a "YOU IGNORED THIS" banner?
Like just don't show me the poo poo, that's the point.

It used to work that way for so long until recently... Tbh it still works for individual games for me. Maybe check your settings?
They also never filtered out publisher sales and bundles if I've ignored all their games. :(

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 20, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It seems like it's (just?) the main page that has issues with the ignore function. For what it's worth, publisher sales will hide ignored titles, up to and including breaking their own layout if you've wiped out a whole heading. It just won't hide the publisher banner itself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how the "Roguelike Celebration" sale doesn't include a single roguelike in it's big top list, no matter how loose of a definition you use.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I don't think hall effect sticks are a very big deal

If I ever have stick drift I'll replace the joystick with hall effect sticks.

No drift issues with my Steam Deck, PS5 controllers, or Forza edition Xbox controller, though , which all have non-hall effect sticks by default :shrug:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fake Name posted:

My xbox elite 2 got a little bit of stick drift and the RB button only working about half the time, both were fixed by opening it up and spraying some electrical contact cleaner in there. I did manage to make the rubbery grip look tatty and broke one of the little clips getting the cover off though, definitely worth it though if you have one with issues because the drat thing isn't cheap.

Got any advice on how to open them up? I tried following the ifixit guide but goddamn the shell is on tight.

I'll also echo the folks saying that the original 360 controller was indestructible. I've white knuckled through most of the Souls games, genuinely astounded it's held together, apart from the left joystick getting wonky. It's even still playable but I really want a d-pad that's actually usable.

E: I'm still gonna replace my Elite because I don't want to spend any mental energy wondering if it's gonna start failing again.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 20, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anybody have opinions on the 8bitdo Pro 2 as a replacement for an XBOX 360 controller? I see they also make one with the same layout as an XBOX controller but its not easily available in my country.

Or alternatively, any other controller that has paddles on the underside?

I have one and I love it…it works with my Win11PC, my AppleTV, and iPhone/iPad. Pairing is a breeze. When my son visited over his vacation he played Elden Ring with it on his Xbox with no trouble, either.

Edit:
No trouble aside from muscle memory to the layout, but the Pro2 has been top notch for me

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 20, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I like how the "Roguelike Celebration" sale doesn't include a single roguelike in it's big top list, no matter how loose of a definition you use.

huh? its showing me Backpack Hero, Against the Storm, and Peglin, among others that i havent heard of

all of those can be considered roguelikes, unless youre doing the really pedantic -like vs -lite argument

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

huh? its showing me Backpack Hero, Against the Storm, and Peglin, among others that i havent heard of

all of those can be considered roguelikes, unless youre doing the really pedantic -like vs -lite argument

I weep.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is the hall effect

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

From your cloaca? Gross

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

what is the hall effect

Magnets, basically.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how do magnets work

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

what is the hall effect
It's a mathematical paradox where goons will always tell you to switch to a more expensive controller

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

repiv posted:

how do magnets work

You know hall effect sticks? It's like that

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Hwurmp posted:

what is the hall effect

It eliminates the possibility of stick drift that is common in standard controllers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So, aside from colors, which are the best ones to look for? My Xbox One controller has a sticky shoulder button that is really annoying me so I'm looking at replacing it.
as far as 8bitdo goes the Ultimate Bluetooth is the one with the hall effect sticks; the Ultimate 2.4g doesn't

i have the ultimate BT and it's great except for one niche use case, which was getting it to look to Windows like a Switch Pro Controller to get gyro controls working in a Switch emulator. had to install some hard-to-find beta firmware to the dongle in the charging station, it was a huge pain in the rear end at the time

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 20, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ciaphas posted:

i have the ultimate BT and it's great except for one niche use case, which was getting it to look to Windows like a Switch Pro Controller to get gyro controls working in a Switch emulator. had to install some hard-to-find beta firmware to the dongle in the charging station, it was a huge pain in the rear end at the time

Oh? Tell me more about this, please. Does that beta firmware have tradebacks (i.e. ruins something else?) and where to find it?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

what is the hall effect

It's when you have 3 doors to choose from, only one of which contains the price...

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

teethgrinder posted:

The spider robot boss is pretty rough, just a huge difficulty spike compared to what came before it and everything that's after it for rather a while. It's one of the big "oh my god gently caress this game" moments that stands out in my memory.

I don't really remember what I used to finally deal with it. Knowing what I had to resort to for everything else that got annoying, probably explosives and a power that created a distraction to draw aggro (and probably explode).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

correction: sylvio blood water is not a remake, but a new sequel. my mistake!! i liked the first game, the second game was not received as well. with the dated visuals you just have to accept them as part of the charm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Oh? Tell me more about this, please. Does that beta firmware have tradebacks (i.e. ruins something else?) and where to find it?
i've forgotten most of the details, but this Reddit post - especially the linked comment in the edit at the end of the post - is where I started from. far as i can tell 8bitdo hasn't tried to get the mode-switching feature into a more current, stable release, unfortunately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i've forgotten most of the details, but this Reddit post - especially the linked comment in the edit at the end of the post - is where I started from. far as i can tell 8bitdo hasn't tried to get the mode-switching feature into a more current, stable release, unfortunately
update: i just updated the controller to the latest version (1.06b1 - you have to turn on beta updates in the firmware updater application) and tried switching it to bluetooth (switch) mode & pairing it with another windows PC. worked perfectly, including the gyro. so maybe you don't have to dig out the old beta in that reddit post anymore after all!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jack Trades posted:

Yes but it did introduce me to the most roguelike upcoming VR game I've ever seen.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2578830/VRogue/

Ciaphas posted:

as far as 8bitdo goes the Ultimate Bluetooth is the one with the hall effect sticks; the Ultimate 2.4g doesn't

Cheers thanks!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Do I read that correctly that they improved the sticks with the Ultimate but then they got rid of the removable/replaceable battery? Why?! It's one of the best parts of the 8BitDo SN30 Pro!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I did. Going by their Amazon page, the Switch one (Bluetooth + 2.4g) didn't mention anything about also working wired, but their official site actually does, so I added additional confusion to something that's already confusing. Sorry.

So, both of them work wired if needed. Here's the two options in a tl;dr form:

If you want Xbox layout and don't mind missing out on the Hall Effect sticks, go with the cheaper option (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g). About 50 USD / EUR.

If you prefer the Switch layout, also need Bluetooth, and really would prefer to have longer lasting sticks, go with the more expensive model (i.e. Ultimate 2.4g + Bluetooth). About 70 USD / EUR.

Prices obviously vary depending on where you'll buy them.

To add to the confusion, there is also another 8bitdo 2.4g ultimate that only comes in purple and mint green that is $30. I bought that for my batocera machine and it has been working just fine and feels pretty good. I don't know what other features it is missing that are in the mid range model. It does not have a dock for sure.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 20, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Substandard posted:

To add to the confusion, there is also another 8bitdo 2.4g ultimate that only comes in purple and mint green that is $30. I bought that for my batocera machine and it has been working just fine and feels pretty good. I don't know what other features it is missing that are in the mid range model. It does not have a dock for sure.

Wait, can you give me a product page for that specific one? That is way cheaper than the other two models when, from the picture, it just looks like the normal $50 one in a different color.

I guess it's just missing the dock?

Ciaphas posted:

update: i just updated the controller to the latest version (1.06b1 - you have to turn on beta updates in the firmware updater application) and tried switching it to bluetooth (switch) mode & pairing it with another windows PC. worked perfectly, including the gyro. so maybe you don't have to dig out the old beta in that reddit post anymore after all!

Well, this is good news. I already had a nightmare of a time to update my Steam Controller to its final firmware a few days ago and wasn't looking forward to another "fun" updating process like that.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Saoshyant posted:

Wait, can you give me a product page for that specific one? That is way cheaper than the other two models when, from the picture, it just looks like the normal $50 one in a different color.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wireless-Controller-Windows-PC-Raspberry/dp/B0C2V6JLNJ/

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-c-2.4g-wireless-controller/

Like I said, I'm not sure if it is missing any other features, but it feels OK so far to me.

*edit* no back buttons! That's the other difference.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lordfrikk posted:

Do I read that correctly that they improved the sticks with the Ultimate but then they got rid of the removable/replaceable battery? Why?! It's one of the best parts of the 8BitDo SN30 Pro!

Probably cost savings.

Substandard posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Wireless-Controller-Windows-PC-Raspberry/dp/B0C2V6JLNJ/

https://www.8bitdo.com/ultimate-c-2.4g-wireless-controller/

Like I said, I'm not sure if it is missing any other features, but it feels OK so far to me.

*edit* no back buttons! That's the other difference.

Also no Ultimate software support (for button remapping).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

My favorite Steam ad failure is when they show you a promotion for something that you already have in your cart:

So the ad system is aware of what you have in your cart, but rather than just excluding those items, they made a special banner to indicate that you've already got it in your cart. I would love to know the process that went into launching that.

The thought process is "remind the user that they intend to buy this product and it is currently on sale for a limited time in order to induce a FOMO response"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://youtu.be/KKjqPWmyRcA?si=A9iJcCHBKncWfTfL
Good lord the nerd levels

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

missed opportunity to pad the names even more with trademark and copyright signs, get your poo poo together konami

and abbreviating volume? for what purpose

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well obviously if they spelled "Volume" out it would just be absurdly long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
METAL GEAR SOLID: METAL GEAR SOLID