Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

temple posted:

I appreciate personalized stuff but the "shopping experience" on random websites is usually trash. My doctor is helpful with suggesting stuff before it becomes an issue. GetCheapJorts.com doesn't help me in anyway.

how cheap are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

hbag posted:

when i go to a shopping site i search for the thing i want to buy and then i buy it. why does google need to know my browsing history for this?

if google knows your personal browsing history they can make a prediction about what you are going to do next/what emotional state you are in based off your activity

they can then check to see if their prediction is right by monitoring your activity

once they get good at predicting your behavior they can sell off those predictions to marketers and political organizations so that those actors can more effectively manipulate you

basically the idea is that they get to know you better than you know yourself and then they can guarantee sales/political engagement to the people interested in foisting those things upon you

it's still a work in progress but they're getting better at it every day

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

jokes on them im autistic

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm quite sure I have never seen anything more complex than googling 'bathroom suppliers near me' and then seeing ads for new showers for a while.

Like this stuff is for sure in development and ad men will swear they can do it but it is really worth the cost to serve up ads for a £5 recycled toothbrush to 10,000,000 people who sometimes buy recycled products, or a £50 microwave to someone who is definitely looking for one between 14.00 and 15.15 on Wednesdays in Stratford?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Pitdragon posted:

if google knows your personal browsing history they can make a prediction about what you are going to do next/what emotional state you are in based off your activity

they can then check to see if their prediction is right by monitoring your activity

once they get good at predicting your behavior they can sell off those predictions to marketers and political organizations so that those actors can more effectively manipulate you

basically the idea is that they get to know you better than you know yourself and then they can guarantee sales/political engagement to the people interested in foisting those things upon you

it's still a work in progress but they're getting better at it every day

this really assumes way too much. like ad algorithms are some sort of demigod all-knowing terror.

ads are exceptionally dumb. they are fired at you based on extremely loose associations of words, search terms, and app permissions. if you type something like "vacuum" into google you tick a box for household items, and so that's one of many ads you'll see.

theyre just spreadsheets like anything else. more often than not the information contained in those spreadsheets is impartial and/or inaccurate, filled with garbage searches you've made over the years, and diluted and skewed heavily by the few 'positive' hits you have made on certain items.

ads cannot know you better than you know yourself. they are automated but mostly dumb conditional-logic csv files with tons of bells and whistles. marketers like to pretend there is something far more complex at work but this is very untrue. it's no miracle that married people in their 30's might need a vacuum cleaner, or that men over 35 care about balding.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is why you can disable personal results on pretty much anything. it barely matters (to the advertisers, to google, to the bottom line, and to the consumer).

it only ever matters to advertisers in the situation of those super special "one person only" ads that are still very common and routine.
and even they need to be heavily blanketed for regions if they have any chance at being successful.

google sure likes to sell up their ability to fulfil personal advertisements but this is almost exclusively because google has your search record history (and advertisers don't). they barely do anything functional with it anyway, since there are millions of keywords and companies out there vying for your attention, but it's a "have" vs a "have not" sort of thing and it makes a huge difference to the landscape of their monopoly, mostly in terms of revenue.

tl;dr ads are way less magical than you think. this actually makes them suck even more poo poo, to me.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 20, 2023

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

GolfHole posted:

tl;dr ads are way less magical than you think. this actually makes them suck even more poo poo, to me.

This. How many times have you been advertised something you have already bought for months after you bought it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jimlit posted:

This. How many times have you been advertised something you have already bought for months after you bought it.

I remember the last time I bought a laptop, after I immediately was bombarded for weeks with a pile more ads for laptops as if buying one computer was a sign I have a crippling laptop addiction.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

GolfHole posted:

this really assumes way too much. like ad algorithms are some sort of demigod all-knowing terror.

ads are exceptionally dumb. they are fired at you based on extremely loose associations of words, search terms, and app permissions. if you type something like "vacuum" into google you tick a box for household items, and so that's one of many ads you'll see.

theyre just spreadsheets like anything else. more often than not the information contained in those spreadsheets is impartial and/or inaccurate, filled with garbage searches you've made over the years, and diluted and skewed heavily by the few 'positive' hits you have made on certain items.

ads cannot know you better than you know yourself. they are automated but mostly dumb conditional-logic csv files with tons of bells and whistles. marketers like to pretend there is something far more complex at work but this is very untrue. it's no miracle that married people in their 30's might need a vacuum cleaner, or that men over 35 care about balding.

this isn't even close to reality. when I worked for yahoo search marketing 15 years ago you were already behind on your technology assessment.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if I don't buy stuff from ads :grin:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Winkle-Daddy posted:

this isn't even close to reality. when I worked for yahoo search marketing 15 years ago you were already behind on your technology assessment.

Well don't keep us waiting. I want to hear all the juicy details about decade old ad tech.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't get a straight answer anywhere can I or can I not get an STD from ads?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Depends where you shove them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Khanstant posted:

I can't get a straight answer anywhere can I or can I not get an STD from ads?
I guess if you see an ad for STDs click it and find out

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Aaaaaaads!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I remember the last time I bought a laptop, after I immediately was bombarded for weeks with a pile more ads for laptops as if buying one computer was a sign I have a crippling laptop addiction.

google deepstate : drat Mr Luxury Yacht isnt Hunter Biden.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting real tired of Tom Brady, Snoop Dogg, and Peyton Manning trying to sell me stuff

Shaq OK though

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GolfHole posted:

If you still have an account on the bad bird site, check out your list of "interests". This is the list of topics used to "personalize your experience across X, including the ads you see." Mine does have some stuff I'm interested in, but it has way, way more poo poo that I am absolutely not interested in, have never engaged with, or have literally never heard of. Some of them are hilariously vague ("animals", "food", "water", "weather") and overall it just gives me the impression that ~the algorithm~ is completely unable to filter signal from noise and advertisers should probably be mad about getting scammed into thinking Big Tech can deliver these hyper-personalised targeted impressions.

E: This also isn't a Musk thing, I remember looking at this years ago and it was equally stupid then.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Well don't keep us waiting. I want to hear all the juicy details about decade old ad tech.

here's a ten year old article demonstrating how target, tracking user trends, was able to do things like predict pregnancy in customers. what we were doing was far more invasive than even this. and Google is far better at it than yahoo ever was. extrapolate accordingly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Do you really link the silly sensationalist (and likely faked) story about Target's ads? I was hoping for some firsthand anecdotes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That article is just an ad for ads

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As someone who’s worked on the other side of ad targeting, I’ve had a boss whose vision included marketing baby goods at women of a certain age group.

But the Target story is dumb. The !shocking! part of the story is supposed to be that Target with commercial forethought somehow predicted a woman’s pregnancy.

The more likely story is that pregnant women are a disproportionately large group of non-fragrant shampoo buyers. So a simple “Others also bought…” algorithm surfaces baby goods to buyers of that shampoo.

Corporations can indeed do a lot with your data but I think the reality is they do less with it than you might expect. You should be less worried about precision targeting than about data leaks. That’s something people don’t talk enough about.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I googled to how to kiss better and started getting ads for tongue rings :iiam:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Winkle-Daddy posted:

SettingSun posted:

Do you really link the silly sensationalist (and likely faked) story about Target's ads? I was hoping for some firsthand anecdotes.

:same:

:justpost:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Winkle-Daddy posted:

i mean... i frequently utilize and also set up some up some of the 'modern' stuff we are using and its all just redressed spreadsheets, if/else statements, and timestamps made accessible through extremely fancy SaaS packaging

saying it's just spreadsheets kind of diminishes the actual capabilities of having umpteenth amounts of data (and thus, being able to actually build 'targeted' ads based on science)

but the reason i did is because, in the guts, it's still just a matrix of data about a matrix of people in a matrix of spreadsheets. theres no wizard of oz.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if any of that poo poo actually worked then [more than a small, severely deranged, group of] people wouldnt hate ads to begin with... since theyd be so useful...

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Google's data harvesting keeps making them think I live in Australia so I think I'm doing a good job keeping them off my trail.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

for gently caress's sake I am getting really loving sick of these ads funded by the Epoch Times getting shoved in my face every loving ten minutes

they're not selling any products, they're just slinging horseshit. if I wanted to listen to someone slander queer people for several minutes on end I'd call my mom or something, jeez

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

dervival posted:

for gently caress's sake I am getting really loving sick of these ads funded by the Epoch Times getting shoved in my face every loving ten minutes

they're not selling any products, they're just slinging horseshit. if I wanted to listen to someone slander queer people for several minutes on end I'd call my mom or something, jeez
lol if you don’t think falun gong is the way

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

lol if you don’t think falun gong is the way

Assaulted by Epoch Times ads on the internet, and Shen Yun billboards in real life, that is a true sicko cult.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

TACD posted:

If you still have an account on the bad bird site, check out your list of "interests". This is the list of topics used to "personalize your experience across X, including the ads you see." Mine does have some stuff I'm interested in, but it has way, way more poo poo that I am absolutely not interested in, have never engaged with, or have literally never heard of. Some of them are hilariously vague ("animals", "food", "water", "weather") and overall it just gives me the impression that ~the algorithm~ is completely unable to filter signal from noise and advertisers should probably be mad about getting scammed into thinking Big Tech can deliver these hyper-personalised targeted impressions.

E: This also isn't a Musk thing, I remember looking at this years ago and it was equally stupid then.
Apparently my only interest is that I'm "known for" Cookie Run, which is some mobile game I've never heard of.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not interested in any of these things

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

yeah, I got one of those "trans people: evil new trend, or new evil trend?" ads for the Epoch Times. went to Google Ad Center, filled out their little report form and got the automated "looking into it" email.

Roughly a month later, I got the exact same loving ad. Now I use Newpipe

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
My dad actually had a physical rear end newsprint version of the Epoch Times in his house once. I don't know if he actually reads it or if some yahoo he works with foisted a copy onto him. Sadly my dad is a weird libertarian type who'd probably believe that poo poo :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hbag posted:

im not interested in any of these things

:objection: You should play more Ace Attorney!

emSparkly posted:

My dad actually had a physical rear end newsprint version of the Epoch Times in his house once. I don't know if he actually reads it or if some yahoo he works with foisted a copy onto him. Sadly my dad is a weird libertarian type who'd probably believe that poo poo :smith:

They send those out from time to time as a mass mailing to a huge area. I wouldn't wrap fisg in them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
gdi GetCheapJorts.com isn't a real site

Somewhere out there Kevin Smith is laughing at my misfortune in bottomwear pricing

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The Grimace posted:

Somewhere out there Kevin Smith is laughing at my misfortune in bottomwear pricing

Now you know the true might of advertising, sucka :ocelot: :grin:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Grimace posted:

gotcho rear end now pay me 0.0015 cents

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
YT on Chrome desktop browser wasn't letting me watch anything anymore, even with some of the github scripts installed. Back to Firefox, which still seems to work with just Ublock. After uninstalling Chrome, an Edge browser popped up with a "We're sorry to see you go, please fill out this short survey to help us understand why," but there's no survey. The page is all hosed and broken. I'm inclined to blame Edge for this, but regardless, eat poo poo, Google! :tipshat:

Edit: Yeah, it's Edge. Survey works in FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

people use edge?